Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by dixie Today at 10:29 am

» 2017 corn pictures
by dixie Today at 10:21 am

» Total lunar / solar eclipse
by dixie Today at 10:19 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by dixie Today at 9:51 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2017? 2017
by trolleydriver Today at 9:50 am

» Anyone growing fall peas in zone 7 TN
by dixie Today at 9:50 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:45 am

» What to do with fallen unripe tomatoes?
by trolleydriver Today at 9:25 am

» New England August 2017
by hammock gal Today at 8:03 am

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by hammock gal Today at 7:44 am

» Cutting back on my SFG about 75%
by Kelejan Today at 12:35 am

» N & C Midwest: August is here!!! 2017
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:17 pm

» Composting Particle Board?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 4:18 pm

» Hello gardener's
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:58 pm

» The Best Steps for Storing Tomatillos
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:36 am

» Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:10 am

» What I've learned this year
by countrynaturals 8/20/2017, 9:17 pm

» Plumeria ?
by sanderson 8/20/2017, 6:07 pm

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by llama momma 8/20/2017, 1:58 pm

» Baba Ghanoush
by sanderson 8/20/2017, 12:04 pm

» Beets; Don't be intimidated!
by BeetlesPerSqFt 8/20/2017, 11:05 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson 8/20/2017, 10:30 am

» Caterpillars -Armyworm?
by BeetlesPerSqFt 8/19/2017, 8:58 pm

» Oregon City Newbie
by trolleydriver 8/19/2017, 1:04 pm

» Newbie Oldbie
by sanderson 8/19/2017, 12:53 pm

» who has chickens
by llama momma 8/18/2017, 1:40 pm

» Tips for compost tumbler
by trolleydriver 8/18/2017, 12:10 pm

» Franken-mato!!!
by hammock gal 8/18/2017, 7:48 am

» Mid-Atl - Aug 2017 - Planning/Planting Fall/Winter Garden
by BeetlesPerSqFt 8/17/2017, 11:05 pm

» Amaranth
by Scorpio Rising 8/17/2017, 9:53 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Need suggestions for potatoes, please!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need suggestions for potatoes, please!

Post  garden girl on 5/27/2012, 12:07 pm

I absolutely love potatoes, so I was pleasantly surprised when my daughter asked to have potatoes in the garden this year. We picked out 3 kinds of potatoes to try: Adirondack Blue; Red Norland; and White Superior.

I have never successfully grown a potato plant, and I would really like to have these to eat this year. Would love to get some step-by-step instructions, with the essential hints that actually make them work. Yes, I have read instructions online, etc., but mine have never been successful. Do I need a separate square for them? Special watering instructions?

I live in a very hot, dry, and windy location. The amount of water usually recommended by Mel will be quickly evaporated and blown away here. Suggestions??

Thanks so much!!!

garden girl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Need suggestions for potatoes, please!

Post  rowena___. on 5/27/2012, 12:53 pm

i have grown them in SFG blocks, in large containers, and in bags. i now use only containers and bags, simply because i have sorted out my use of areas in the yard for various best purposes.

growing potatoes is really simple, no matter how many steps a website breaks it into. Smile you can put a potato flat on the ground and cover it with soil and it will grow, or you can go all out and make a special hotel for them. LOL let them sprout, and periodically cover them until they begin to bloom. i let the stems grow about 6" then cover 4" or so. as often as needed. it doesn't really matter what you cover them with--it can be mel's mix, but i save that for things that need the nutrition. instead i use dry grass clippings, shredded dry leaves, straw, garden soil--nothing fancy, because you don't want them to go all leafy and forget to make potatoes.

when the flowers finish and the foliage starts to yellow you can start harvesting new potatoes. i leave them buried until i need them--they store very well that way here, but in your area you might want to dig them up and let them dry to store.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

View user profile http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 5/27/2012, 2:00 pm

I know your area a little.... my kids count the dust devils as we drive along I-90.

There is a whole thread here on different strategies to growing potatoes. Potato Growing Methods The first post lines out 8 different strategies. You can blend them as well to fit your own particular circumstances.

Potatoes need water and a fertile ground that is not high in nitrogen. Bonemeal is a very good fertilizer for them.

My guess as to what would work for you in your area is a mixture of method 1 & 2. You don't need to make rows, but a bed that you can bury the potato pieces in a couple inches deep on a 1/sq. That will help insulate them from cold, heat, dry, and wind. Sprinkle bonemeal over the ground and mix it in as you plant the pieces. Then as the vines grow add mulch like Rowena explains. You might want to put a simple wind/crittur blocking fence. Like 2' chicken wire (or even mesh if mice are a problem). They need the amount of watering that your lawn does. I use an impact sprinkler on a tripod (does not clog from unfiltered ditch water) set for approximately half an hour every day most of the summer. Soaker hose would work too, under the straw I imagine but have not tryed. In my experience slugs like straw more than alfalfa hay and the hay is a mild fertilizer for the potatoes but watch out for hay with herbicides in it! That would kill or deeply stunt your plants.

I hope this is helpful and clearer than mud.....

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan

Female Posts : 2270

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum