Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Today at 2:18 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Today at 2:16 pm

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 1:25 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by llama momma Today at 1:20 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by llama momma Today at 1:16 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by llama momma Today at 12:59 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by Ginger Blue Today at 12:57 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 7:21 am

» New Member
by AtlantaMarie Today at 6:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 6:24 am

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by AtlantaMarie Today at 6:20 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by AtlantaMarie Today at 6:09 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 1:14 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:32 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:29 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 7:22 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 6:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 4:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 11:13 am

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/8/2016, 10:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 6:05 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 9:43 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 11:49 am

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 11:17 am

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 9:24 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 11:06 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 8:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 1:04 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

A Crazy Plan

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Crazy Plan

Post  Hasselback on 6/4/2012, 11:16 pm

For various reasons, I want to plant a few items outside of my normal 4x4 boxes. I've done some number crunching (do not ask to see my work, I don't have to do that anymore), and I figure that the volume of Mel's Mix that would be contained in a 1' by 1' square, 8" deep would be about like filling one of those 5 gallon plastic pails up to about 11" or so. I'm planning on cutting drainage holes in the bottom and lining it with some of that porous plastic sheeting to keep the stuff in, so drainage should be good.

What do you think? Has anyone tried this before?

G.

Hasselback

Posts : 43
Join date : 2012-04-09
Location : Saipan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Crazy Plan

Post  Goosegirl on 6/4/2012, 11:30 pm

MM is the ultimate container garden growing medium. Lots of us use MM in various containers instead of in the boxes. Sometimes we just run out of box space, sometimes we want plants where boxes do not fit (porch, small deck, dining room!)

Give it a go - we would love to see pics and hear about your results!

GG

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Crazy Plan

Post  cheyannarach on 6/4/2012, 11:40 pm

@Goosegirl wrote:MM is the ultimate container garden growing medium. Lots of us use MM in various containers instead of in the boxes. Sometimes we just run out of box space, sometimes we want plants where boxes do not fit (porch, small deck, dining room!)

Give it a go - we would love to see pics and hear about your results!

GG

+1

cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037
Join date : 2012-03-21
Location : Custer, SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Crazy Plan

Post  FamilyGardening on 6/5/2012, 2:21 am

yes....love MM in pots and containers!

hugs

rose

FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424
Join date : 2011-05-10
Location : Western WA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Crazy Plan

Post  llama momma on 6/5/2012, 5:14 am

The only place I won't use Mel's Mix again is in my windowboxes. The 1/3 portion of compost ( I use a lot of aged manure ) seemed to make the boxes much too heavy in my opinion. I didn't want to stress the wall brackets with that kind of extra weight.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4646
Join date : 2010-08-20
Age : 59
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Crazy Plan

Post  Kelejan on 6/5/2012, 9:52 am

@llama momma wrote:
The only place I won't use Mel's Mix again is in my windowboxes. The 1/3 portion of compost ( I use a lot of aged manure ) seemed to make the boxes much too heavy in my opinion. I didn't want to stress the wall brackets with that kind of extra weight.

So what will you be using, llama momma? Two thirds of MM is lightweight, and you need the compost for nutrition. Or is it that the peat and verm soak up the water and makes things heavy?

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4509
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 81
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: A Crazy Plan

Post  walshevak on 6/5/2012, 4:59 pm

@Hasselback wrote:For various reasons, I want to plant a few items outside of my normal 4x4 boxes. I've done some number crunching (do not ask to see my work, I don't have to do that anymore), and I figure that the volume of Mel's Mix that would be contained in a 1' by 1' square, 8" deep would be about like filling one of those 5 gallon plastic pails up to about 11" or so. I'm planning on cutting drainage holes in the bottom and lining it with some of that porous plastic sheeting to keep the stuff in, so drainage should be good.

What do you think? Has anyone tried this before?

G.

A picture is worth a thousand words.


Theportable tomato garden chasing sun and shade as the season progresses.

Kay


Last edited by walshevak on 6/5/2012, 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct picture)

____________________________

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310
Join date : 2010-10-17
Age : 73
Location : wilmington, nc zone 8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Crazy Plan

Post  llama momma on 6/5/2012, 5:10 pm

@Kelejan wrote:
@llama momma wrote:
The only place I won't use Mel's Mix again is in my windowboxes. The 1/3 portion of compost ( I use a lot of aged manure ) seemed to make the boxes much too heavy in my opinion. I didn't want to stress the wall brackets with that kind of extra weight.

So what will you be using, llama momma? Two thirds of MM is lightweight, and you need the compost for nutrition. Or is it that the peat and verm soak up the water and makes things heavy?

My window boxes have flowers so I'm using a purchased product called pro mix. But I'm very sure when I used my Mel's mix in last years window boxes it was much heavier. Maybe for fun I should put the purchased mix and Mel's mix in identical containers and weigh them. before shooting my mouth off!

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4646
Join date : 2010-08-20
Age : 59
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Crazy Plan

Post  SwampCatNana on 6/5/2012, 5:24 pm

Kay, where did you get those containers? They are perfect for maters! Nice and deep for the roots!
Lee

SwampCatNana

Female Posts : 237
Join date : 2011-06-28
Age : 78
Location : Boston MA (Z6a)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Crazy Plan

Post  RoOsTeR on 6/5/2012, 5:35 pm

@SwampCatNana wrote:Kay, where did you get those containers? They are perfect for maters! Nice and deep for the roots!
Lee

Those are "homer" buckets from Home Depot...

____________________________


I am my gardens worst enemy.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 3879
Join date : 2011-10-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Crazy Plan

Post  SwampCatNana on 6/5/2012, 5:43 pm

@RoOsTeR wrote:
@SwampCatNana wrote:Kay, where did you get those containers? They are perfect for maters! Nice and deep for the roots!
Lee

Those are "homer" buckets from Home Depot...

Thanks.

SwampCatNana

Female Posts : 237
Join date : 2011-06-28
Age : 78
Location : Boston MA (Z6a)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Crazy Plan

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:25 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum