Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in December 2017
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:31 pm

» Julia Child's French Onion Soup
by trolleydriver Today at 8:37 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 7:18 pm

» jalapeno variety question?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 5:58 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 5:56 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Today at 5:17 pm

» Indoor Container Garden - City Living
by countrynaturals Today at 4:45 pm

» who has chickens
by countrynaturals Today at 3:49 pm

» Air Fryer! HELP!
by countrynaturals Today at 12:05 pm

» Spring Fever Anyone?
by plantoid Today at 10:59 am

» has55's R & D Journey
by trolleydriver Today at 8:00 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:26 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Roseinarosecity Yesterday at 10:03 pm

» Sweet Potatoes
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 5:36 pm

» Areogardening
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:45 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:55 am

» What's Up? Yukon gold potatoes!
by saganco Yesterday at 11:11 am

» N&C MW; Deep Winter December/January 2017-2018
by Scorpio Rising 12/15/2017, 7:57 pm

» Garden Clean-Up/Preparation
by Scorpio Rising 12/15/2017, 7:53 pm

» CarbSmart (tm) Potatoes
by sanderson 12/15/2017, 1:41 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by Kelejan 12/15/2017, 7:51 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 12/14/2017, 10:42 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/14/2017, 11:01 am

» New England December 2017
by AtlantaMarie 12/14/2017, 6:32 am

» Sauerkraut & fermenting veggies
by brianj555 12/13/2017, 5:28 pm

» Tomato Questions
by sanderson 12/13/2017, 3:04 pm

» Mid-South: December 2017
by AtlantaMarie 12/13/2017, 8:24 am

» New Composter - Need Help Filling Correctly
by saganco 12/12/2017, 9:10 pm

» December Avatar: 'Tis The Season!
by sanderson 12/12/2017, 2:29 pm

» The Research Journey:cardboard covering of newly planted seeds
by saganco 12/12/2017, 1:15 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Potatoes gone wild!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Potatoes gone wild!

Post  efirvin on 6/5/2012, 3:35 pm

Hello all!

Since the warm weather hit the potatoes have gone crazy! I have a drip system thru out the plots and everything gets watered for 15 minutes daily. Is this too much watering? Is the potatoes growing normally? I planted 4 seed potato pieces per square and the squares are now full and growing tall.

Here's a pix. What do you think?

avatar
efirvin

Female Posts : 146
Join date : 2012-01-08
Location : Casper Wyoming

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Potatoes gone wild!

Post  SwampCatNana on 6/5/2012, 6:33 pm

I think SFG boxes are too shallow for potatoes. Have you been hilling them as they grow? It's difficult to see with the netting(?) over it.
Lee
avatar
SwampCatNana

Female Posts : 237
Join date : 2011-06-28
Age : 79
Location : Boston MA (Z6a)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Potatoes gone wild!

Post  RoOsTeR on 6/5/2012, 6:39 pm

@SwampCatNana wrote:I think SFG boxes are too shallow for potatoes. Have you been hilling them as they grow? It's difficult to see with the netting(?) over it.
Lee

Sure you can, and if you want to go a little deeper you can add a top hat.

____________________________


I am my gardens worst enemy.
avatar
RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 4316
Join date : 2011-10-04
Location : Colorado Front Range

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Potatoes gone wild!

Post  SwampCatNana on 6/5/2012, 6:47 pm

@RoOsTeR wrote:
@SwampCatNana wrote:I think SFG boxes are too shallow for potatoes. Have you been hilling them as they grow? It's difficult to see with the netting(?) over it.
Lee

Sure you can, and if you want to go a little deeper you can add a top hat.

But I don't see that here.
avatar
SwampCatNana

Female Posts : 237
Join date : 2011-06-28
Age : 79
Location : Boston MA (Z6a)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Potatoes gone wild!

Post  westx on 6/5/2012, 7:13 pm

IMHO you planted to many seeds per square, I plant one per square foot but other then that they look fine. Watch out for flowers starting to form and keep them pinched off so the plants will continue produce tubers. Just dug mine this weekend and got an overflowing 5 gallon bucket out of an 8x4 box. Did find it interesting that even though I planted the seeds 14" deep and backfilled the box until it all the soil was back in that the potatoes only grew in about 6"s of soil, so going that deed was a waist of time.

westx

Male Posts : 52
Join date : 2011-05-27
Location : Ellis County, Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Potatoes gone wild!

Post  RoOsTeR on 6/5/2012, 7:23 pm


____________________________


I am my gardens worst enemy.
avatar
RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 4316
Join date : 2011-10-04
Location : Colorado Front Range

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Potatoes gone wild!

Post  efirvin on 6/6/2012, 12:23 pm

@SwampCatNana wrote:I think SFG boxes are too shallow for potatoes. Have you been hilling them as they grow? It's difficult to see with the netting(?) over it.
Lee

Oops, sorry. You can't tell from this pix but my planters are 16 deep. I planted them deep, per SFG directions, and backfilled the MM until all the soil was back in place. 12" of the soil was MM and the bottom filler was compost purchased from the city.
avatar
efirvin

Female Posts : 146
Join date : 2012-01-08
Location : Casper Wyoming

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Potatoes gone wild!

Post  efirvin on 6/6/2012, 12:31 pm

@westx wrote:IMHO you planted to many seeds per square, I plant one per square foot but other then that they look fine. Watch out for flowers starting to form and keep them pinched off so the plants will continue produce tubers. Just dug mine this weekend and got an overflowing 5 gallon bucket out of an 8x4 box. Did find it interesting that even though I planted the seeds 14" deep and backfilled the box until it all the soil was back in that the potatoes only grew in about 6"s of soil, so going that deed was a waist of time.

Ok. I planted 4 per sf per the SFG book. In the couple of squares that were less than 1'x1' I planted only 2 or 3. I have 2 rows of Reds and 1 of Yukon golds.

Didn't know needed to pinch off flowers early, I thought that was the sign when the potatoes were ready.
avatar
efirvin

Female Posts : 146
Join date : 2012-01-08
Location : Casper Wyoming

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Potatoes gone wild!

Post  llama momma on 6/6/2012, 12:40 pm

I'm with you Efirvin -
the book doesn't say to pinch them off either.
So I went out and 1/2 the plants I left alone to flower. The others I pinched off the immature green unblossomed flowers. See how much difference it makes.
avatar
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4856
Join date : 2010-08-20
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Potatoes gone wild!

Post  efirvin on 6/6/2012, 1:05 pm

@llama momma wrote:I'm with you Efirvin -
the book doesn't say to pinch them off either.
So I went out and 1/2 the plants I left alone to flower. The others I pinched off the immature green unblossomed flowers. See how much difference it makes.

Good idea! Always learning something new!
avatar
efirvin

Female Posts : 146
Join date : 2012-01-08
Location : Casper Wyoming

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Potatoes gone wild!

Post  Squat_Johnson on 6/6/2012, 1:09 pm

That's not too many per square. That's what I did, and mine looked like that a month ago. You are right on track for a nice sack-o-taters in my opinion.

BTW, the blossoms can create a potato fruit. See this discussion of potato seeds (not seed potatoes).
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t12521-has-anyone-heard-of-potato-seeds-not-seed-potatoes
avatar
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440
Join date : 2010-05-25
Location : Beaver Dam, Kentucky, zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Potatoes gone wild!

Post  efirvin on 6/6/2012, 1:28 pm

@Squat_Johnson wrote:That's not too many per square. That's what I did, and mine looked like that a month ago. You are right on track for a nice sack-o-taters in my opinion.

BTW, the blossoms can create a potato fruit. See this discussion of potato seeds (not seed potatoes).
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t12521-has-anyone-heard-of-potato-seeds-not-seed-potatoes

Thanks! I read that discussion and thought it very interesting! I'll be watching for any potato fruit!
avatar
efirvin

Female Posts : 146
Join date : 2012-01-08
Location : Casper Wyoming

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Potatoes gone wild!

Post  gregrenee88 on 6/6/2012, 5:50 pm

Wow, those are crazy! Ours (red potatoes) are quite big but not as big as yours. We've stopped putting dirt on top because it would all fall out of the box. They look really healthy but no flowers as of yet. They are actually shadowing our pepper plants which might explain their slow growth. Wink
Renee Smile
avatar
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280
Join date : 2012-04-23
Age : 51
Location : Sharpsburg, Md. Zone 6B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Potatoes gone wild!

Post  efirvin on 6/6/2012, 6:06 pm

@gregrenee88 wrote:Wow, those are crazy! Ours (red potatoes) are quite big but not as big as yours. We've stopped putting dirt on top because it would all fall out of the box. They look really healthy but no flowers as of yet. They are actually shadowing our pepper plants which might explain their slow growth. Wink
Renee Smile

2 of the 3 rows are red potatoes, the other row is Yukon golds. My 4th row has 3 sf of carrots and 1 of lettuces and I understand the shadowing issue. I have cut off a few potato leaves that were encroaching too much.
avatar
efirvin

Female Posts : 146
Join date : 2012-01-08
Location : Casper Wyoming

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Potatoes gone wild!

Post  gregrenee88 on 6/7/2012, 10:48 am

@efirvin wrote:
@gregrenee88 wrote:Wow, those are crazy! Ours (red potatoes) are quite big but not as big as yours. We've stopped putting dirt on top because it would all fall out of the box. They look really healthy but no flowers as of yet. They are actually shadowing our pepper plants which might explain their slow growth. Wink
Renee Smile

2 of the 3 rows are red potatoes, the other row is Yukon golds. My 4th row has 3 sf of carrots and 1 of lettuces and I understand the shadowing issue. I have cut off a few potato leaves that were encroaching too much.

Can cutting back the potato leaves damage what is going on down-under?
avatar
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280
Join date : 2012-04-23
Age : 51
Location : Sharpsburg, Md. Zone 6B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Potatoes gone wild!

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum