Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:42 pm

» Live and learn
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:01 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by bigdogrock Today at 5:55 pm

» New England, December 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 5:52 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 2:42 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 2:08 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals Today at 2:04 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by countrynaturals Today at 2:01 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 1:44 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Today at 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:39 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/2/2016, 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 1:13 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Not going well

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Not going well

Post  Green(Horn)Thumb on 6/10/2012, 9:56 pm

This is not the start i was hoping for. This is my first SFG. I made up about 16 4x4 beds. I broke the rules and started lettuce and spinach early and transplanted, they bolted. The ones that did not got eaten by cabbage looper. Got some organocide and that helped. Came home from a weekend away and it looks like i have widespread aphids. They have only consumed on plant completely. So I again applied some organocide. I then went and checked on my spinach and now most of that bolted. Very discouraging

Green(Horn)Thumb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Not going well

Post  camprn on 6/10/2012, 10:07 pm

My spinach bolted really early too... it's so discouraging.... maybe it's nothing we are doing but the wonky weather... some thing are great one year and not so the next.... such is the life of the gardener. Keep you chin up. You will have another chance with spinach in the late summer.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper on 6/10/2012, 10:09 pm

There are some things that one encounters in gardening that are a pain. Pests and disease are the main ones. It is a matter of getting used to the rhythms of the seasons. If it is hot enough, lettuce and spinach and cilantro and other cool weather plants will bolt. That is just the way it is. Other stressors can contribute, like low water, but this is something that is less of a problem when you learn when in your area is the best time to plant - and it may be fall more than spring for you. Each year will be slightly different. Everyone had a very warm spring, unusually warm.

As far as aphids or any other pests go. What a pain they are first of all. Getting them early helps and again, some years are worse than others. I find with new gardens your first year is your worst for pests because the plantings are new and the beneficial insects follow the destructive ones. So in the first year you do not have any allies in the garden helping you keep things balanced. Get some ladybugs asap and next year you will likely not have such an issue with them. There are also some good organic soaps and such to help.

Hate the loopers. Bt is good for them. It is a matter, like I said, of getting used to the rhythms.

That said, I do not stress bugs and disease. Lots of times there is room for all of us and unless something is really completely destroying the crop (grasshopper, snails esp) I let nature take its course and still get a harvest I am happy with.

Hope this helps.

Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

View user profile http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 6/10/2012, 10:22 pm

A local nursery here sells ladybugs up and ready to go eat some aphids, you should check with yours! I also bought a praying mantis cocoon with 300 eggs that I have placed in my garden just waiting to hatch!

cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Green(Horn)Thumb on 6/10/2012, 10:41 pm

I will be buying some ladybugs tomorrow, thanks for the help.

Green(Horn)Thumb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 6/10/2012, 10:56 pm

Good luck!!!

cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  toledobend on 6/11/2012, 11:49 am

Here's something that might work for some of the aphid problems. I heard from someone that I think got it from LSU. For pepper plants, they are using reflective mirrored plastic (mylar type?) around the base of the plants. The extra light reflecting back up discourages the aphids. To cut down on the cost, I think they are now trying using plain plastic sheets and spray painting them with silver paint. The person I know is just using sheets of aluminum foil (shiny side up) since he has only a few plants. If you are using drip irrigation, put it under the plastic or foil, otherwise make sure the plants get enough water. This might work for other plants too.

toledobend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. on 6/11/2012, 2:16 pm

@Chopper wrote:

As far as aphids or any other pests go. What a pain they are first of all. Getting them early helps and again, some years are worse than others. I find with new gardens your first year is your worst for pests because the plantings are new and the beneficial insects follow the destructive ones. So in the first year you do not have any allies in the garden helping you keep things balanced.

this is exactly how it works here on the gardens i deal with.

That said, I do not stress bugs and disease. Lots of times there is room for all of us and unless something is really completely destroying the crop (grasshopper, snails esp) I let nature take its course and still get a harvest I am happy with. .

this is very wise.

rather than buying stuff each time you see a problem, consider making something at home and giving it a try. i have found garlic oil spray to be very effective for most bug pests and even with bunnies and the random neighborhood cat.

aphids are easily confused--you can knock them off the plant with a spray of water--and if you put a yellow plastic cup or tennis ball near the plants, cover it with some plastic and smear on some petroleum jelly or cooking oil, you can often catch a huge percentage of them and dispose.

rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

View user profile http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 6/11/2012, 3:01 pm

I love the tennis ball idea, Rowena. I'm taking a more relaxed approach this year. I saw flea beetles on an eggplant, despite many holes the plant overall looked fine. Left it alone. Another eggplant one leaf looked nearly chewed off. Left it alone too. But then that was it, there was no other damage and the rest of the leaves are fine. When the plants are in a very nutritious mix they seem to survive some damage very well and with daily face time I can see how the plant is handling it or if it needs some help.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4634

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Green(Horn)Thumb on 6/11/2012, 11:28 pm

I am trying to take it in stride. But being the first year and the cost associated with building all these beds I am so paranoid. Ordered the ladybugs as I couldnt find them anywhere in town. Found two other pests on the tomatoes tonight. After one season I am sure i will be more relaxed. I still have some 30 or so healthy tomato plants so I should have plenty. It isnt so much that im worried of losing one or two, i can take that, I just dont know what to expect. I dont want my whole garden eaten.

Green(Horn)Thumb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper on 6/12/2012, 12:05 am

There is an old planting saying that goes something like "plant one for the birds and one for me". There is an acceptable, or at least expected loss. It should not be the whole crop though. Just a small percentage. Nature happens.

Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

View user profile http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant on 6/12/2012, 9:56 pm

I tried the mylar sheeting on a 3x3 bed of peppers last year. Didn't seem to help with the aphids one bit. Was wondering why I hadn't seen hardly any this year, then realized I'd had to start spraying the yard with some non-organic stuff this year due to the dog and a huge tick population. I try to avoid the garden, but even so, way fewer aphids.

elliephant

Female Posts : 842

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:30 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum