Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 1:42 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:15 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:06 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:01 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 9:08 am

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:09 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

» New Member
by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 1:28 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

spiders

View previous topic View next topic Go down

spiders

Post  steelrfan57 on 6/12/2012, 1:52 pm

I have encountered some spiders and there webs every morning when i go to check my tomato plants, and every morning i knock them down, is this necessary or should i leave them there.

steelrfan57

Posts : 14
Join date : 2012-05-14
Location : Dunn,NC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: spiders

Post  Goosegirl on 6/12/2012, 1:56 pm

Unless they are a poisonous variety let them stay - spiders are friends in the garden!

GG

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

spiders

Post  steelrfan57 on 6/12/2012, 2:13 pm

Thanks for the advice Goosegirl, I thought that would be the answer, just wasnt quite sure. Here in NC, the brown reclus and black widow, are 2 of our poisionous spiders, those i defintely dont want in my garden. affraid Very Happy

steelrfan57

Posts : 14
Join date : 2012-05-14
Location : Dunn,NC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: spiders

Post  Goosegirl on 6/12/2012, 8:27 pm

@steelrfan57 wrote:Thanks for the advice Goosegirl, I thought that would be the answer, just wasnt quite sure. Here in NC, the brown reclus and black widow, are 2 of our poisionous spiders, those i defintely dont want in my garden. affraid Very Happy

Where I came from in CA we didn't have brown recluse, but black widows were standard issue. They tend to like dark corners (under the house, wood piles, gardening sheds) but I don't EVER remember one being out in the open in the garden.

GG

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: spiders

Post  camprn on 6/12/2012, 8:34 pm

@Goosegirl wrote:
@steelrfan57 wrote:Thanks for the advice Goosegirl, I thought that would be the answer, just wasnt quite sure. Here in NC, the brown reclus and black widow, are 2 of our poisionous spiders, those i defintely dont want in my garden. affraid Very Happy

Where I came from in CA we didn't have brown recluse, but black widows were standard issue. They tend to like dark corners (under the house, wood piles, gardening sheds) but I don't EVER remember one being out in the open in the garden.

GG
I think the first time I remember ever seeing a spider we lived in Northridge, CA and I was 3 years old. Mom was taking me and my baby brother to a birthday party and we were all dressed up and ready to go. Now, Mom grew up in New England and is made of pretty stern stuff but when she opened the door that day she affraid at the top of her lungs when she saw the tarantula on the outside of the screen door... we missed the party. Sad

____________________________

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!


camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: spiders

Post  Goosegirl on 6/12/2012, 9:45 pm

@camprn wrote:
@Goosegirl wrote:
@steelrfan57 wrote:Thanks for the advice Goosegirl, I thought that would be the answer, just wasnt quite sure. Here in NC, the brown reclus and black widow, are 2 of our poisionous spiders, those i defintely dont want in my garden. affraid Very Happy

Where I came from in CA we didn't have brown recluse, but black widows were standard issue. They tend to like dark corners (under the house, wood piles, gardening sheds) but I don't EVER remember one being out in the open in the garden.

GG
I think the first time I remember ever seeing a spider we lived in Northridge, CA and I was 3 years old. Mom was taking me and my baby brother to a birthday party and we were all dressed up and ready to go. Now, Mom grew up in New England and is made of pretty stern stuff but when she opened the door that day she affraid at the top of her lungs when she saw the tarantula on the outside of the screen door... we missed the party. Sad

That would do it! affraid

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: spiders

Post  GWN on 6/12/2012, 11:50 pm

You know I have been wondering the same thing as I pull weeds and see the spiders relocating their family eggs........
I keep watching them thinking what a pain in the A... I must be to them, pulling weeds and tearing up their habitat. They haul the egg in one direction and then they haul it in another direction.

I think we have recluse here, but definitely not tarantula, WOW affraid

GWN

Posts : 2719
Join date : 2012-01-14
Age : 60
Location : british columbia zone 5a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: spiders

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:18 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum