Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 8:38 am

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising Today at 12:35 am

» Winter Reading, Anyone?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Sprouted Onion Question
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:11 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:07 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:00 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:58 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 5:49 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by plantoid Yesterday at 5:47 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 5:05 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 4:56 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by llama momma Yesterday at 2:16 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by llama momma Yesterday at 1:59 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by Ginger Blue Yesterday at 1:57 pm

by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:24 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 12/9/2016, 9:29 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson 12/9/2016, 12:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie 12/9/2016, 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson 12/9/2016, 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Do you can w/a specific quantity in mind?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you can w/a specific quantity in mind?

Post  JustMe on 6/12/2012, 11:38 pm

When you're planning your garden or market purchases, do you plant/buy with a particular canning quantity in mind? Such as X jars of jam for gifting, Y jars of pickles for family, etc.

Or do you just can what you have extra in the garden?

Trying to figure out how to make sense of the canning planning. With as much fun and satisfaction I'm getting from this, I can totally see myself ending up with way more of a canned item than my family could possibly eat in a year.

I would like to put up 12 jars of spaghetti sauce for my family since that is a conservative usage at our house. Diced tomatoes and salsa are things we also buy that I could possibly can. I'm guessing we buy at least 24 cans of diced tomatoes and maybe 12 jars of salsa annually.

JustMe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Do you can w/a specific quantity in mind?

Post  Patty from Yorktown on 6/13/2012, 7:19 am

Good Morning,

The simple answer to your question is yes. Yes, I plant with the thought of preserving my harvest. Yes, I purchase extra to can. I tend to plant heavy on the foods I know we will eat. Our house eats a lot peanut butter and jelly. I can all of the jelly, any extra goes as Christmas gifts. The folks who are smart enough to return the jars always get more in future years. Some folks know how much of what food they eat every year. Then they can to fill those needs. I am not that organized. I do know that 1 quart of apple sauce per week and 24 apple pies per year is too many. Good luck on your canning journey.

Patty from Yorktown

Patty from Yorktown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. on 6/13/2012, 1:56 pm

every produce item i plant or buy is with an eye toward long-term storage. every family's needs are unique, based on what they like to eat and how many people they are feeding and so forth. i always advise keeping a journal for about a month to see what you tend to buy AND what your family actually eats. the journal will change with the seasons because what is available changes.

if it helps you plan:

we are a family of three but i always aim to store enough to feed five. that allows me to have extra on hand for helping a neighbor or for parties and so forth.

with that in mind, here are the most common items from my stock plan and the amounts i aim for:

tomatoes: 100 quarts per year canned, plus 3 bushels more frozen and dehydrated
onions: 2 bushels per year, frozen, dehydrated, and cellared
potatoes: 10 bushels, canned, frozen, dehydrated, and cellared
winter squashes: 30 cellared
summer squashes: 2 bushels, canned, frozen, and dehydrated
root vegetables: 2 bushels, stored in the ground and cellared
celery: 5 stalks, frozen and dehydrated
cabbage: 10, dehydrated, frozen, and pickled
jams, jellies: 50 half pints for us and 25 for gifts
canned fruits: 100 quarts canned, frozen, and dehydrated
herbs: a pint of each herb dried for our use, plus 5 pints of each herb in jelly or extract

i used to store greens but now i just grow them year round.

rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

View user profile http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown on 6/13/2012, 3:42 pm

Ok, I am tired now after seeing your preservation list.
Patty from Yorktown

Patty from Yorktown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. on 6/14/2012, 2:25 pm

well, i don't do it all at once. Smile a little here, a little there, sometimes a whole big batch. it's a year-round thing.

rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  JustMe on 6/14/2012, 11:14 pm

Thanks Rowena.

Are the paste/Roma tomatoes the type to use for salsa, tomato sauce, paste, juice, diced, pizza sauce, and regular tomato sauce?

JustMe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover on 6/16/2012, 3:17 pm

Another thought to remember is that canned goods can keep safely with little loss of flavor/texture for more than one year. While I do plan, I will can as much as possible of whatever I can get my hands on. My grandma always said to put up as much as you can because you never know what might happen. Also, you might have a bumper crop of tomatoes one year and not the next. Thsoe extras will help see you through.

herblover

Female Posts : 526

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 6/16/2012, 3:23 pm

Justme, Roma are the kind to use for paste, etc. I used whatever I grew in spaghetti sauce one year because that is all that produced for me that year.

Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 6/16/2012, 3:28 pm

My sister's mother-in-law canned soups and stews and they were still sealed and great after 2-3 years! I do have a question about canning tomatoes. Are they trickier or do you have to be more careful canning tomatoes? Should you only keep them one year?

Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 6/16/2012, 4:15 pm

I usually don't have any left over so I can't say from experience but I would imagine if you followed the recipe they should be fine for a few years. Very Happy

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper on 6/16/2012, 4:22 pm

Triciasgarden, tomatoes are very easy to can. Due to the many varieties of tomatoes and their acid levels, for safe preservation the USDA recommends adding bottled lemon juice to each jar of tomatoes at the rate of 2 Tablespoons per quart and 1 Tablespoon per pint. Here is a link to the USDA food preservation website:

http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_usda.html

There is a specific acidity chart in the canning tomatoes section which also includes vinegar instructions as I recall.

happycamper

Female Posts : 304

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mijejo on 6/16/2012, 4:44 pm

So, once you know the quantity you want for the table, freezer, dehydration, canning, and gifts - how do you determine the quantities of plants to produce that quantity?

mijejo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Debora Cadene on 6/16/2012, 4:49 pm

@rowena___. wrote:
herbs: a pint of each herb dried for our use, plus 5 pints of each herb in jelly or extract

Rowena....how many plants do you find it takes to get a pint of herbs, and if you don't mind me asking...what sort of herbs do you / can you dry? Right now all I have for herbs in my garden are sage (two plants..one in each square cause that's what the nursery suggested). thyme...two plants in one square, oregano 4 plants each in their own square and 8 plants of basil..with two plants in each of 4 squares.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated...as I "happen" to have a few extra squares....and would be MORE THEN HAPPY to run to the nursery for more....heheheeheheheee.

Debora Cadene

Female Posts : 73

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. on 6/16/2012, 5:44 pm

@Debora Cadene wrote:
@rowena___. wrote:

Rowena....how many plants do you find it takes to get a pint of herbs, and if you don't mind me asking...what sort of herbs do you / can you dry?

oh, it just depends on what is doing well in the garden and what i can find at the farmers market or in amish country. my favorites are any of the various basils, any of the lemon herbs, rosemary, mints, and lavender. it takes about 2 cups of herbs to make 4 half pints of jelly.

Right now all I have for herbs in my garden are sage (two plants..one in each square cause that's what the nursery suggested). thyme...two plants in one square, oregano 4 plants each in their own square and 8 plants of basil..with two plants in each of 4 squares.

ooooo, i think sage or thyme jelly would be fantastic! worth a try anyway. it's just a couple of hours work.

we also make jelly out of flowers. the yards in east nashville are literally covered in wild violets in spring so we spend a couple of days gathering blooms and then we make jelly, jam, and syrup. at the beginning of summer we do roses and dandelions, and toward the end of summer we do honeysuckle and bee balm.

rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. on 6/16/2012, 5:54 pm

@mijejo wrote:So, once you know the quantity you want for the table, freezer, dehydration, canning, and gifts - how do you determine the quantities of plants to produce that quantity?

i figure out how much i can expect a given plant to produce over the season, then figure out from there. for example, i estimate conservatively that each tomato plant will average 10 lbs. of fruit--some will give more, some less. i have a goal of putting up 100 quarts of tomatoes canned, plus 3 MORE bushels, total, frozen and dehydrated. it takes a little more than 20 lbs. of tomatoes to make 7 quarts canned--so i need at least 300 lbs. of tomatoes to make my canning goal for the year. so, based on my calculations, if my garden produces according to my estimates, i need 30 tomato plants, and that is what i have. most of the plants will yield a bit more than 10 lbs., in fact i have one plant that right now has enough fruit on it to yield 20 lbs! so the overage gets put up by freezing or dehydrating.

the reason i don't fret if i don't make my growing goal is that the amish live within an hour's drive of my home, so at the end of the season i can make up any difference by visiting them, where i can buy 25 lbs. of tomato seconds for $10.00.

i go thru this process with every food i intend to grow for storage. for foods that i intend to buy for storage, i just figure out how much of each i need and then buy when it is near the end of that season, to get the best prices.

rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Debora Cadene on 6/16/2012, 6:07 pm

Rowena...what about the dried herbs? How much does a plant typically produce (providing it gets a good shot at growing)? How do you personally dry the herbs...do you crush, or leave the leaves whole. Can you also dry basil leaves? I have a feeling i am gonna need WAY more of each herb to make a pint, or even a half pint of each....
HELP.

Debora Cadene

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. on 6/16/2012, 6:25 pm

@Debora Cadene wrote:Rowena...what about the dried herbs? How much does a plant typically produce (providing it gets a good shot at growing)? How do you personally dry the herbs...do you crush, or leave the leaves whole. Can you also dry basil leaves? I have a feeling i am gonna need WAY more of each herb to make a pint, or even a half pint of each....
HELP.

you can dry leaves of any herbs. the way i do it is to take a 3"-5" cutting from the plant and cut off all but the top four leaves. the cut leaves are used fresh or dried as needed. i then root the cutting to make a new plant.

where the original plant was cut, it will form two new branches, effectively doubling your herbs at that point.

to dry, you can hang the stems upside down in bunches (in which case, you can't root them), you can use a dehydrator (which i sometimes do but often i don't have room in either of them because of other foods being dried), or you can lay them between two pieces of clean dry paper towel and dry them in the microwave.

technically you can dry them in the oven but that uses a lot of energy, heats up the kitchen, and ties up your appliance. they have to be watched carefully too or they will burn very quickly. you can also dry them in the sun but that is iffy due to variables such as humidity, cloud cover, and BUGS. Smile

the amount a plant produces just depends on the conditions, but the more you cut, usually the more the plant will bush out which means you'll get more in the long run. but if you only strip the leaves off the plant, it will eventually just quit producing. so take cuttings!

rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Debora Cadene on 6/16/2012, 7:24 pm

Can cuttings be taken from all the herbs I have? (basil,thyme,oregano and sage) Right now, my basil is between 8 and 12 inches tall. 6 of the 8 plants are only two stemmed and the other two are three stemmed. I have pinched off a couple of leaves here and there, but thats it as they are still new. On the two plants that I have three stems on,is that where I would take a cutting of 3-5" (leaving 4 leaves) OR could any of them be cut? But will that mean it won't get any taller. One of the basil is pretty scarce of leaves...its tall, with lots of space in between each leaf...never notice that when I got it.
UM....how do you make the cutting get roots to grow into another plant?? Embarassed
Can cuttings come from any of the plants I have listed above? My oregano isn't very tall, but its spreading out and where it sits on the dirt, is taking root....I didn't know it did that. My thyme and sage haven't really done much, but my sage has been picked at by something too.
So Sorry for all the questions, but bieng able to double (or more) my plants is exciting....and having enough to actually fill up a little jar is even more so.

Debora Cadene

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milaneyjane on 6/16/2012, 7:50 pm

You eventually figure it out after a few years, LOL! And for us, it depends if we find a new recipe we like. I think food storage for our family of 5 as I plant. But it doesn't do any good if you don't like what you can. Last year I didn't add any salt to our canned beans....the kids won't touch them with a ten foot pole. Now frozen beans they will eat like crazy. Last year I came across a recipe for killer pepper relish. We loved it so much I planted a variety of 50 pepper plants this year! I also have 50 tomato plants up from my 36 or so last year. Last year I didn't let a single item go to waste and kept my canning equipment out on the kitchen counter. As soon as I had enough for a batch of something, I processed it. I have also found that we are more likely to use something frozen vs canned vs dehydrated. I freeze all my herbs whole in gallon ziplock bags and take out what I need as I cook. It always tastes garden fresh. I don't care for dried herbs if I don't have to use them.

I would rather have too much than not enough. I love knowing that I have enough to share with family and friends.

Items I can:

jam--stawberry and peach

salsa salsa salsa (many varieties)

tomatilla salsa

tomato sauce

pickles

pepper jelly (great as gifts) LOTS!

pepper relish

cherries

Items I freeze:

strawberries, blueberries, peaches, carrots, squash, beans, herbs, summer squash, sundried tomatos

milaneyjane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. on 6/16/2012, 7:57 pm

Debora Cadene, tall, leggy herbs are not that healthy, you actually want to take cutting so they will bush out more instead of going up.

you cut a piece off that is 3"-5" long. from that piece you remove all but the top four leaves. stick that piece in a cup of water, change the water from time to time, and in a few weeks you will see roots. at that point you can plant the cutting in soil.

when you make the cutting, do it just above a leaf point. in a few weeks--about the time you see roots on the cutting in water--you will see two new branches.

you can do this on every stem of the plant, as long as the cutting doesn't remove more than about 1/3 of the leaves on that stem.

basil roots easily in water. thyme and oregano will root on their own in the soil as you have seen--when the rooted sections are well established you can cut them loose from the mother plant and repot them as individuals. sage doesn't root well by cutting, but it does great with layerings.

since you are still new to gardening, don't bother with too many new skills yet. the only reason i mention cuttings is that when taking fresh herbs to cook with, you need so much more than with dried herbs that you might as well get the most bang for your buck, and that is by taking the cutting--after all, you're going to strip the leaves off the stem to cook with them, which gives you a bare stem just waiting for something to do.

now to give you some confidence: my little girl has been gardening with me since she was four. whenever she sees something broken, she puts it in water and waits. 70% of the time, it makes roots. if she can do it, so can you. but remember--30% of them will reject your efforts. that is no reflection on you. it is mother nature reminding us that she is really still in charge.

rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. on 6/16/2012, 7:59 pm

i'll be taking a bunch of cuttings tomorrow or the next day, i'll take pictures as i do it and publish a blog post showing what i mean. Smile

rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Debora Cadene on 6/16/2012, 9:06 pm

Thank you Rowena...I look forward to the pics.

Debora Cadene

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JustMe on 6/17/2012, 10:44 am

the reason i don't fret if i don't make my growing goal is that the
amish live within an hour's drive of my home, so at the end of the
season i can make up any difference by visiting them, where i can buy 25
lbs. of tomato seconds for $10.00.

Seconds for canning? Do you cut out the bad part of the tomatoes? Since I'm still learning about canning, the books say to use unblemished fruit. BUT, Blue Ribbon Preserves: Secrets to Award-Winning Jams, Jellies, Marmalades & More mentions using seconds for applesauce.

JustMe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. on 6/17/2012, 11:02 am

what the amish call "seconds" is just cosmetic--too small or misshapen or irregular appearance, but otherwise still fine. they don't sell blemished items, they cull them for feed.

rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 6/17/2012, 12:20 pm

You can certainly cut out the blemishes and then can the rest.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:48 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum