Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:19 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:17 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:13 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:51 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:46 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:30 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:32 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 10:56 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/2/2016, 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 12:52 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Am I paranoid?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Am I paranoid?

Post  Boz on 6/18/2012, 11:39 pm

I am concerned about growing Tomatoes in buckets. My yard
gets high winds and I am concerned that buckets
planted with tomatoes will be unstable and the higher they grow the more unstable
they will become. Does anyone have experience growing Toms in buckets that they
can share?

Boz

Male Posts : 109

View user profile http://lovelandwormery.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Am I paranoid?

Post  CiderSapling on 6/18/2012, 11:44 pm

For several years, I grew in pots on my second story deck, open on all four sides to wind. The weather isn't consistently high winds here, but the exposure was pretty intense. I ended up putting the pots along the fence line, and using it as a trellis. My pots were deep, so I layered the bottom with gravel for extra weight. I also ended up using trimmed down plastic trellis as a windbreak - you could probably use a number of different thing, but this was something I was able to salvage from a neighbor's project. You might consider if it's possible to dig down into the ground to create a hole your bucket can fit into to help increase it's stability. ... just a few thing I did when I was container growing.

Good luck!

CiderSapling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 6/19/2012, 12:26 am

I grow all sorts of things in 5 gllon buckets! I fill the bottom 1/4 of the bucket with rocks and have never had a problem! Good luck, we get windstorms but not all the time but we do live on a hill where the wind hits us. I would also leave room for some mulch to help prevent drying out as quickly!

cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 7/3/2012, 11:11 pm

@Boz wrote:I am concerned about growing Tomatoes in buckets. My yard
gets high winds and I am concerned that buckets
planted with tomatoes will be unstable and the higher they grow the more unstable
they will become. Does anyone have experience growing Toms in buckets that they
can share?

Boz, I've got 4 indeterminate types in buckets tied off to a stake for now. So far so good. The winds have been bad though and I've lost a few things due to the wind, but the maters seem to be doing ok.

I am my gardens worst enemy.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 3879

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  westx on 7/3/2012, 11:51 pm

You could put up a cattle panel to grow the tomatoes up by placing the buckets infront of it. You can even tie the bucket to the panel.

westx

Male Posts : 52

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 7/4/2012, 1:35 am

I have a cattle panel wedged between a tabletop on one side and 4 cinderblocks stacked 2 high on the other. Four buckets fit very nicely along the cinderblock side. We had wind sheers though here about 10 days ago that snapped a limb off one of my crape myrtle trees, but the buckets didn't move.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 7/4/2012, 12:40 pm

I think all these ideas give you a lot to choose from or bits from all. If you do not have something to anchor the buckets and trellis to I would be concerned about the whole thing tipping over. How about using buckets on both sides of a trellis/cattle panel and also going more wide than tall so the wind has less to grab hold of. Put extra weight in the bottom of the buckets and use rope of some sort to anchor the trellis/cattle panel to the buckets and some other anchor point(s).

Another idea is you could go out with a trellis at more of an angle, closer to horizontal, instead of straight up so the wind has less to grab on to. Then on the far end have it attached to another cattle panel that is verticle and braced somehow, against something maybe. My brain cells stopped working, can you tell?

Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628

View user profile

Back to top Go down

How did I become paranoid

Post  Boz on 7/4/2012, 2:00 pm

For the last 25 years I have planted just three tomatoes in a 4X7 raised garden. I did not worry about crop rotation just stuck them in the ground and poured the water to them. Last year I did not get very many tomatoes and decided to add a 4X4 garden so I could rotate the tomatoes and grow other things.
When I put in the new box the ground sloped so I built the back of the box up so the box would be level, however the ground under the box still had a slope. This created a reservoir to collect any excess water. Then I planted my tomatoes in the reservoir. My lawn sprinkler system was also watering the area at 3AM.
I finally got all this figured out but my toms were really bad.

While I was trying to understand what was wrong I bought replacement Tomatoes and put them in buckets. I found "the Ultomato" cages and think they may be fine.
Meanwhile I had planted a squash on top of an enclosed finished compost pile, the wind blew and broke it in half. I replanted and a couple of days age the wind blew hard enough to partially pull it out of the ground. Its not dead yet but the funeral is scheduled for this week end.

Last edited by Boz on 7/4/2012, 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Change picture)

Boz

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou on 7/4/2012, 4:46 pm

@Boz wrote:This created a reservoir to collect any excess water.

Did you line your box with plastic or such? Otherwise it should drain. I don't understand how it created a reservoir.

CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

re: Am I paranoid

Post  Boz on 7/4/2012, 5:43 pm

CindyLou

The soil had not been worked in 25 years and is hard packed clay.

Calling it a reservoir is probably an exaggeration, however the plants in the front of the box were not getting enough water and the tomatoes were drowning. I pried the rear of the box up and put some small pieces of wood between the ground and the box and it is drying out. I also adjusted my sprinklers so they don't water that area.

Boz

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou on 7/5/2012, 12:53 am

Yea unworked clay can be terrible. I hope you get it working! I love sfg and it is the best when it works lol..

CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincinnati on 7/5/2012, 2:18 am

@Boz wrote:...Does anyone have experience growing Toms in buckets that they
can share?

Buckets? ... No. But I grow tomatoes in Earthboxes. Last year I had several tip over in high winds. The Earthboxes had casters on them. Once the plants got to 4 or 5 feet tall, I had nothing but a sail on top of these Earthboxes. They were blown over in nearly every storm.

This year, I pulled off the casters. I also anchored the trellis into the ground. The old trellis was attached to each box.

We had several high wind storms. But not one of those boxes tipped over. And I didn't lose a single plant to wind.

SO, here's what I recommend: Drive a steak into the ground and tied the plant to the steak. Without it being able to blow around, the bucket cant blow over.

Cincinnati

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 7/5/2012, 6:22 am

Here is an example of tomatos planted in buckets.

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t12790p30-planting-in-bucket

The best method so far is the string method. Nothing falls over. Clothesline running from top of EMT to the bucket handle.
But this particular set up is in a shadier spot than the pvc poles, so the pole tomatos are producing better right now. WE SHALL SEE THOUGH WHEN THE DOG DAYS OF SUMMER LOCK IN.
Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 7/5/2012, 10:36 am

@Boz wrote:For the last 25 years I have planted just three tomatoes in a 4X7 raised garden. I did not worry about crop rotation just stuck them in the ground and poured the water to them. Last year I did not get very many tomatoes and decided to add a 4X4 garden so I could rotate the tomatoes and grow other things.
When I put in the new box the ground sloped so I built the back of the box up so the box would be level, however the ground under the box still had a slope. This created a reservoir to collect any excess water. Then I planted my tomatoes in the reservoir. My lawn sprinkler system was also watering the area at 3AM.
I finally got all this figured out but my toms were really bad.

While I was trying to understand what was wrong I bought replacement Tomatoes and put them in buckets. I found "the Ultomato" cages and think they may be fine.
Meanwhile I had planted a squash on top of an enclosed finished compost pile, the wind blew and broke it in half. I replanted and a couple of days age the wind blew hard enough to partially pull it out of the ground. Its not dead yet but the funeral is scheduled for this week end.

I feel your pain on the wind! It's been relentless around here hasn't it? That and the heat. Sorry to hear about the squash plants. I've had a few things just totally destroyed by the winds.

I am my gardens worst enemy.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 3879

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:14 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: