Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:19 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:17 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:13 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:51 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:46 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:30 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:32 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 10:56 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/2/2016, 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 12:52 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Water question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Water question

Post  DbleT on 6/22/2012, 2:58 pm

Hi, when I built my garden I included a irrigation system that comes from lawn watering zone that I can set for any day, time, etc. and has drippers that water each square that have vegetables planted in them. My question would be in regards to over-watering as right now I have it set to water every morning at 7am for 6 min. This area gets great sunlight from around 8 or 9 am to at least 5 or 6pm. The temperature in this area at this time of year is getting close to 85 degrees for at least 4 -5 hrs in the afternoon, and probably close to the mid 90's as summer proceeds. Nothing is turning yellow and the veggies seems to be progressing nicely but I just read in my recent Sunset magazine that I should be watering less frequently but more deeply. So my question would be, should I cut back to every other day, every second day or just keep things as they are? Should I do a bit less in the morning and give them some water in the early evening? Perhaps cutting down on the watering time? Any advice would be appreciated as I don't want to screw up what looks to be turning out well for my first garden. Thanks!

I do notice that water is starting to migrate outside the perimeter on at least three sides of the garden where one can see it in the dirt (pictures 2-4). I've included the 1st picture so you get the idea of how things are proceeding with my present watering schedule.

DbleT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Water question

Post  landarch on 6/22/2012, 3:23 pm

I would only water when your soil needs it...and set your timer accordingly...for example, it could end up being every third day for 20 min. or so...depending on the flow rate of your system.

landarch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  genes on 6/22/2012, 3:50 pm

Water running out means that you're either over or under watering. Stick hand to bottom of box to make sure all MM is moist. If it's moist, water less. If it's not, water a little every hour or so until all saturated.

Infrequent, deep watering is not for SFG.

genes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squaredeal on 6/22/2012, 8:05 pm

I noticed your Mel's Mix is settling down. Water comes out of one of my boxes, too, one that wasn't exactly flat on the ground when I filled it. My mix is settling quickly and I need to fill it back to the top. The mix isn't leaking out but the water does run out.

squaredeal

Female Posts : 192

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re:water problem

Post  tabletopper on 6/23/2012, 4:15 am

Wow....your garden is picture perfect.....what kind of wood did you use....?? how many squares did you end up with? and a watering system....did you use the small soaker hose....I need a watering system but need a plumber to run a line over closer to my table tops.....Did you mix your own perfect soil as per the receipe?.....Ruth

tabletopper

Female Posts : 235

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  genes on 6/23/2012, 1:59 pm

@tabletopper wrote:Wow....your garden is picture perfect.....what kind of wood did you use....??

+1 and newel posts on the gate

genes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TexasTracy on 6/23/2012, 2:10 pm

I just had to say that I love your garden setup...too cool!

TexasTracy

Female Posts : 88

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener on 6/23/2012, 2:19 pm

wow! gorgeous garden. I love the boxes and the dark brown mulch. Looks so inviting to just go and sit and watch stuff grow! We water by "hand" when the soil gets dry. Poke your finger down into the soil and see if it's wet or dry.

southern gardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 6/23/2012, 7:05 pm

@DbleT wrote:...in my recent Sunset magazine that I should be watering less frequently but more deeply.

That is assuming you have deep soil and want the roots to grow into that depth. If your beds are 6 inches deep and full of MM you do not have that option. So do what works for your circumstance.

Gorgeous garden Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast

Turan

Female Posts : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re:Water Question

Post  tabletopper on 6/23/2012, 7:16 pm

I bought water meters that stick in the soil.....I like them very much....they availabe at Garden Centers......Ruth

tabletopper

Female Posts : 235

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  westx on 6/23/2012, 8:23 pm

The rule of thumb for watering any plant is the need 1 to 1 1/2" of water per week and a lot of that depends on the type soil. I perfer to water my garden 2 times a week given it about 3/4" of water at a time. My beds are deep going about 12 to 14"s and is based on the old sqf method, so that is what it takes for mine. Like everyone else has said check your sold at around in the box and see how it is and base your watering on that.

westx

Male Posts : 52

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 6/23/2012, 8:58 pm

I use a moisture meter also. No guessing involved. How wet is wet? The finger test is okay but not as accurate as a moisture meter. The meter will tell you. I have learned that I can almost tell the wetness by looking at the bottom of the probe. If soil is sticking to it, it is wet enough. It is good to stick in shallow to see what the moisture is near the top for shallow rooted veggies and down deeper for veggies with deep roots.

yolos

Female Posts : 2856

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JeanneRamick on 6/23/2012, 9:43 pm

@yolos wrote:I use a moisture meter also. No guessing involved. How wet is wet? The finger test is okay but not as accurate as a moisture meter. The meter will tell you. I have learned that I can almost tell the wetness by looking at the bottom of the probe. If soil is sticking to it, it is wet enough. It is good to stick in shallow to see what the moisture is near the top for shallow rooted veggies and down deeper for veggies with deep roots.

I also use a moisture meter and agree with yolos.

My SFG doesn't get any 'natural' watering, since it's on my patio (covered from above by the condo on the 2nd floor) so I use one of those "square foot print" sprinklers as needed (based on the moisture meter reading and visual observation)

JeanneRamick

Female Posts : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Momof5Js on 6/27/2012, 9:31 am

I just have to say your garden is beautiful. I too am working in my first SFG (actually first garden ever) and I am on the watering learning curve as well. I am using a wand sprinkler attached to my garden hose and water only at the base of each plant. I am discovering that my boxes differ and even within some boxes the squares may differ. I but bottoms with drain holes on my boxes lined with weed barrier (don't want any of that precious MM falling out;) ) I wonder if something is blocking a couple of the holes?

Anyway, I am right there with ya as trying to determine just the right amount of water. Good luck with your beautiful garden:heart:

Momof5Js

Female Posts : 44

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:16 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum