Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tomato Tuesday 2017
by sanderson Today at 8:19

» Ginger
by llama momma Today at 7:34

» Bug/Pest Identification....Help!
by sanderson Today at 7:14

» WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins
by has55 Today at 6:03

» My SFG Journey:Returning to the Original Square Foot Garden Method
by has55 Today at 0:05

» Monarch Supporter
by CitizenKate Yesterday at 22:43

» Today's Harvest
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 17:33

» New England September 2017
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 17:18

» N&C Midwest - September 2017
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 17:15

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 17:01

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 14:08

» Amaranth
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:06

» Birds of the Garden
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 8:29

» Tomatoes in New England
by Scorpio Rising Sun 17 Sep 2017 - 18:02

» Ground Cherries
by Ginger Blue Sun 17 Sep 2017 - 14:39

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Sun 17 Sep 2017 - 8:20

» Skinny Cucumbers?
by brianj555 Sun 17 Sep 2017 - 8:15

» Trellis
by CapeCoddess Sun 17 Sep 2017 - 7:19

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by bigdogrock Sun 17 Sep 2017 - 5:43

» Garden Videos 2017
by brianj555 Sat 16 Sep 2017 - 18:48

» What I learned this year
by brianj555 Sat 16 Sep 2017 - 18:19

» This sounds too simple: Aspirin and tomato plants
by bigdogrock Sat 16 Sep 2017 - 12:02

» Annie's Salsa
by kygardener Sat 16 Sep 2017 - 11:54

» Suggestions please!! Cherry Tomatoes
by countrynaturals Sat 16 Sep 2017 - 10:07

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Sat 16 Sep 2017 - 7:35

» Oregon City Newbie
by Scorpio Rising Fri 15 Sep 2017 - 18:44

» Introduction!
by AtlantaMarie Fri 15 Sep 2017 - 12:00

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Fri 15 Sep 2017 - 7:09

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Thu 14 Sep 2017 - 15:50

» Harvesting Beans for Drying?
by sanderson Thu 14 Sep 2017 - 15:14

Google

Search SFG Forum

Asparagus in rubbermaids?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Asparagus in rubbermaids?

Post  Chilliard on Tue 26 Jun 2012 - 18:05

Hello all! I have a container gardening question...

I've always wanted to grow asparagus. The problem is that I'm a renter. I would hate to spend a few years establishing an asparagus bed only to have to move and leave my precious gusses behind... I was trying to think outside of the box, no pun intended, and was wondering if anyone has experience/opinions on growing asparagus crowns in totes? Like the rubbermaid large one?

Thoughts?? Thanks!
avatar
Chilliard

Female Posts : 23
Join date : 2012-06-19
Age : 30
Location : Charleston, SC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Asparagus in rubbermaids?

Post  Goosegirl on Tue 26 Jun 2012 - 19:03

No experience with it, but it sure sounds like an experiment worth trying!

GG
avatar
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3412
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 52
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Asparagus in rubbermaids?

Post  boffer on Tue 26 Jun 2012 - 19:27

According to the Univ. of Minn. you might have to stack up a bunch of boxes!

Asparagus plants have a deep root system that will penetrate at least six feet. Shallow soils or soils prone to a high water table should be avoided.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG1861.html
avatar
boffer

Male Posts : 7392
Join date : 2010-02-26
Age : 64
Location : yelm, wa, usa

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Re: Asparagus in rubbermaids?

Post  Goosegirl on Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 5:11

Bummer! Sounded like a good experiment!

GG
avatar
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3412
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 52
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Asparagus in rubbermaids?

Post  littlejo on Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 5:35

In a SFG, what happens to the cardboard and weed cloth I put under my bed of aparagus? Must be an expense I shouldn't have incurred! What would happen if someone put plywood on the bottom of their beds so as to not use the dirt underneath? Maybe Mel needs to remove it from the book.



I would say go ahead and plant in tub. A plant will only grow until it hit the side.

Then later, if you are more permanent, you could put it in the ground.

Jo
avatar
littlejo

Female Posts : 1532
Join date : 2011-05-04
Age : 63
Location : Cottageville SC 8b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Asparagus in rubbermaids?

Post  littlejo on Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 6:10

Here is a link to growing asparaus in pots:



http://www.container-gardening-tips.com/container-vegetable-gardening/growing-asparagus-in-containers.html
avatar
littlejo

Female Posts : 1532
Join date : 2011-05-04
Age : 63
Location : Cottageville SC 8b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Asparagus in rubbermaids?

Post  rowena___. on Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 6:51

i think it is worth a try. after all, if it doesn't survive, you've lost nothing but time and an asparagus crown. as it stands right now, you have plenty of time but no asparagus, so this is a potential 100% improvement on your current state of affairs. Smile
avatar
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438
Join date : 2011-01-06
Location : nashville, TN

View user profile http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Re: Asparagus in rubbermaids?

Post  Chilliard on Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 17:28

rowena___. wrote:i think it is worth a try. after all, if it doesn't survive, you've lost nothing but time and an asparagus crown. as it stands right now, you have plenty of time but no asparagus, so this is a potential 100% improvement on your current state of affairs. Smile

Very true! I have a bunch of totes leftover from moving, so it would be a minimal expense. Even if I only got a little bit of production, it is still better than nothing!! Thank you everyone for your opinions!!!!! I'll post pictures when I get everything set up. Thanks again!
avatar
Chilliard

Female Posts : 23
Join date : 2012-06-19
Age : 30
Location : Charleston, SC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Asparagus in rubbermaids?

Post  littlejo on Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 17:56

Chilliard wrote:
rowena___. wrote:i think it is worth a try. after all, if it doesn't survive, you've lost nothing but time and an asparagus crown. as it stands right now, you have plenty of time but no asparagus, so this is a potential 100% improvement on your current state of affairs. Smile

Very true! I have a bunch of totes leftover from moving, so it would be a minimal expense. Even if I only got a little bit of production, it is still better than nothing!! Thank you everyone for your opinions!!!!! I'll post pictures when I get everything set up. Thanks again!

I did not realize you were in Charleston til just now. Just to let you know, down here in the south, late Aug. Asparagus ferns can be cut to the ground and a second cutting of asparagus can be done in the fall!

Jo
avatar
littlejo

Female Posts : 1532
Join date : 2011-05-04
Age : 63
Location : Cottageville SC 8b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Asparagus in rubbermaids?

Post  GWN on Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 18:07

This is all a great topic
I have had so many plants that I grew and left behind, asparagus, blueberries, raspberries, it became an omen NOT to plant them as it likely meant were were soon to be on the road.
I wished I had thought of just planting them and taking the crowns when I went
HOWEVER my final move was crossing a border and that would not have worked
Rowena, you are just so practical Smile
avatar
GWN

Posts : 2804
Join date : 2012-01-14
Age : 61
Location : british columbia zone 5a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Asparagus in rubbermaids?

Post  Chilliard on Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 20:00

littlejo wrote:
Chilliard wrote:
rowena___. wrote:i think it is worth a try. after all, if it doesn't survive, you've lost nothing but time and an asparagus crown. as it stands right now, you have plenty of time but no asparagus, so this is a potential 100% improvement on your current state of affairs. Smile

Very true! I have a bunch of totes leftover from moving, so it would be a minimal expense. Even if I only got a little bit of production, it is still better than nothing!! Thank you everyone for your opinions!!!!! I'll post pictures when I get everything set up. Thanks again!

I did not realize you were in Charleston til just now. Just to let you know, down here in the south, late Aug. Asparagus ferns can be cut to the ground and a second cutting of asparagus can be done in the fall!

Jo

How neat! What other fall veggies do you plant? I'm planning a fall garden and it's new for me... I've only ever done summer.
avatar
Chilliard

Female Posts : 23
Join date : 2012-06-19
Age : 30
Location : Charleston, SC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Asparagus in rubbermaids?

Post  littlejo on Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 20:30

Well, all the cool season stuff, lettuce, spinach,, cauliflower, broccoli, (I don't care for brussell sprouts, but they grow here) cabbage, onions,garlic, peas(snow and english) I'm trying to get potatoes to sprout, I heard they are a winter crop down here, and I've probably left something out.

With SFG, I just about garden year round. I found out this yr. that the bugs were just waiting on me to plant the good stuff! We had such a mild winter that all of the bugs were able to winter over!

Jo
avatar
littlejo

Female Posts : 1532
Join date : 2011-05-04
Age : 63
Location : Cottageville SC 8b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Asparagus in rubbermaids?

Post  cheyannarach on Thu 28 Jun 2012 - 5:56

Beets and swiss chard!
avatar
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037
Join date : 2012-03-21
Location : Custer, SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Asparagus in rubbermaids?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum