Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by CapeCoddess Today at 4:29 pm

» New England August 2017
by CapeCoddess Today at 3:30 pm

» Caterpillars -Armyworm?
by ColleenW Today at 1:41 pm

» Oregon City Newbie
by trolleydriver Today at 1:04 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 1:00 pm

» Newbie Oldbie
by sanderson Today at 12:53 pm

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:44 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:56 pm

» who has chickens
by llama momma Yesterday at 1:40 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2017? 2017
by Kelejan Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» Tips for compost tumbler
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 12:10 pm

» Franken-mato!!!
by hammock gal Yesterday at 7:48 am

» Mid-Atl - Aug 2017 - Planning/Planting Fall/Winter Garden
by BeetlesPerSqFt 8/17/2017, 11:05 pm

» Amaranth
by Scorpio Rising 8/17/2017, 9:53 pm

» It's actually more like surviving.... these days...
by RoOsTeR 8/17/2017, 3:14 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 8/17/2017, 2:40 pm

» Heat wave and shade screen
by sanderson 8/17/2017, 1:17 pm

» Sweet Potatoes
by sanderson 8/17/2017, 1:04 pm

» Grow Produce from Produce!
by countrynaturals 8/17/2017, 11:18 am

» Huge Box of Seeds from 2003!
by countrynaturals 8/17/2017, 11:12 am

» Water....
by BeetlesPerSqFt 8/17/2017, 8:45 am

» Bee 'Sleeping' in Cucumber Flower
by hammock gal 8/17/2017, 7:10 am

» Store Bought Compost
by plantoid 8/17/2017, 6:58 am

» N & C Midwest: August is here!!! 2017
by Scorpio Rising 8/16/2017, 9:58 pm

» Monarch Supporter
by Scorpio Rising 8/16/2017, 6:54 pm

» Top Dressing with Compost
by donnainzone5 8/16/2017, 3:59 pm

» What do you know about making sauerkraut?
by CapeCoddess 8/16/2017, 3:55 pm

» cherokee purple...seed to dish
by CapeCoddess 8/16/2017, 12:57 pm

» I feel VERY fortunate!
by AtlantaMarie 8/16/2017, 8:28 am

» Things You Never Knew Existed Until SFG...
by llama momma 8/16/2017, 6:47 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

A thistle cut in June is far too soon but one cut in July will surely die

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A thistle cut in June is far too soon but one cut in July will surely die

Post  plantoid on 7/2/2012, 6:17 pm

Well for the Uk we have just had the wettest June on record ...that is the wettest June for 101 years

I don't have exact figure for rain fall this year in South Wales but understand that we have had over seven months worth in just over the last four months . Ave rain fal, is normally 42 inches per year ..we are well past that figure.

What can we plant or sow in the sfg's ?

Well almost everything that you could do in early May is my suggestion and start tinking about doing the odd overwintering brassica every ten days ..if the wet weather holds we should have some real good cabbages 7 caulies.

I've not had any cabbage white of caterpilliar damage in the gardens yet ..in fact I've only seen two of the butterflys this year and that was way back in early April.

My garlic has gone crazy look inthe big stuff gallery and see my four foot two inch tall garlics .

I'm about to start my second batch of animal dung based composted manures in my " Daleks " but this time I'm only going to be using four of them as the other three will be used to store the newly finsihed compost that I fully got going in February .

I've decided to do cut and come again on my cabbages taking just a leaf here and there off plants tha thave six inch long leaves. This seems to be working well for the replacment new leaves are so juicy and tender . There is no throwing half of a cabbage into the compost heap after you prepare it for cooking. This cut and come again also helps reduce any pest on the cabbage leafves , for the eggs are removed with these outer leaves on a regular basis .

The peas are going like hero's , I've never had so many peas from just twelve sown peas .

I'm still sowing successional sowing of peas and runner beans if they fail to preform i'll be putting the greenery in the compst bin.

I've also done several squares of carrots and hope to do more this week if it stops raining long enough .

Celery stumps that got the cut end re shaved of have all taken quite well and we are now eating cut and come again off the first stump planted . This was started off inside and planted out at about 10 day growth , the other two were directly planted into well soaked beds and " puddled " in .

These last two seem to have got going stronger and better than the indoors started one despite them being 10 and 20 days behing the first one.

We welcome several new SFG'ers not only in the UK but also in mainland Europe Everyone seems to be settling in slowly but surely and using the site to help them sort out any dificulties they may have wrt ANSFG .

That's all from me for a very wet starting July .. I'm off to get my fins and snorkle tube on to go and see if the veg in the beds need life boats or any bouyancy aids .
plantoid

Male Posts : 3718

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A thistle cut in June is far too soon but one cut in July will surely die

Post  Triciasgarden on 7/3/2012, 12:33 am

Wow Plantoid, everything sounds amazing! I was thinking of doing the celery thing today. That is such a great idea of removing one leaf of cabbage at a time, what a great idea! I had never heard of that but it sure make such sense as cabbages can become so huge! Have fun swimming!
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 7/3/2012, 5:07 am

@plantoid wrote:That's all from me for a very wet starting July .. I'm off to get my fins and snorkle tube on to go and see if the veg in the beds need life boats or any bouyancy aids .

Hydroponic SFG's? Wish we could trade up for a bit. You need the heat and sunshine and we need the rain.

GG
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3412

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 7/3/2012, 6:18 am

@Goosegirl wrote:
@plantoid wrote:That's all from me for a very wet starting July .. I'm off to get my fins and snorkle tube on to go and see if the veg in the beds need life boats or any bouyancy aids .

Hydroponic SFG's? Wish we could trade up for a bit. You need the heat and sunshine and we need the rain.

GG

It's not so much as wanting heat for 60oF to 70 oF is good for growing shed loads of crops and with a glasshouse the warmer crops can easily be grown . It's real honest to goodness sunshine we need without the rain just so we can get the rays on our skin.

If it warms a tad and stays humid for long there will be massive blight problems for many a gardener and farmer not to mention the dreaded slugs that are already starting to breed like crazy.

Which reminds me .... I have to buy some " NEMASYS Nematode slug control " before the suppliers run short when everyone wakes up to the slug explosion & wants to buy it .
plantoid

Male Posts : 3718

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 7/3/2012, 10:33 am

ry stumps that got the cut end re shaved of have all taken quite well and we are now eating cut and come again off the first stump planted

I am on my third try at celery stumps, I got the leaves coming up and suddenly they all just died??
Hope that the third one will work

We are having record rains here too, I brought many of my plants back into the greenhouse, not wishing to loose it all.
So I am growing ALL of my basil in the greenhouse (except for a few plants) and they are thriving the outside ones are dying.
TOmatoes, I have 11 that I still had ind 5 gallon buckets and I just hauled them all back into the greenhouse and have set up the strings for them to just climb there.
I have moved 3 pepper plants into greenhouse as well.
Today is SUPPOSED to be the last day of rain for awhile... we will see.
GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum