Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by trolleydriver Today at 11:04 am

» Birds of the Garden
by trolleydriver Today at 10:59 am

» Microgreens Gardening
by SQWIB Today at 8:54 am

» My new compost heap
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:20 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:15 am

» Today's Harvest
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:13 pm

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Robbomb116 Yesterday at 11:55 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:08 am

» Alternative cover to straw for overwintering strawberries.
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:38 am

» First Frost!
by brianj555 11/20/2017, 3:27 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 11:29 am

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 8:56 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals 11/19/2017, 1:16 pm

» The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/19/2017, 11:14 am

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 11/19/2017, 11:07 am

» N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017
by Scorpio Rising 11/18/2017, 7:34 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY #5 - ENDS 11/17/17
by brianj555 11/18/2017, 4:12 pm

» What I learned this year
by countrynaturals 11/18/2017, 1:45 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver 11/18/2017, 9:26 am

» First Tromboncino female flower
by countrynaturals 11/17/2017, 5:51 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 11/17/2017, 1:59 pm

» Free lunaria seeds
by hammock gal 11/17/2017, 10:12 am

» Plastic containers / trash cans?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 10:33 pm

» Mels book
by Scorpio Rising 11/16/2017, 7:04 pm

» Mid-Atl - Nov 2017 - Warming Up AGAIN?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 4:17 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:59 pm

» Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:41 pm

» Pickle recipes
by sanderson 11/15/2017, 4:12 am

» What variety of avocado would you recommend?
by dstack 11/14/2017, 9:12 pm

» Saffron?
by plantoid 11/14/2017, 3:32 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

compost balls!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

compost balls!

Post  offtheporch on 7/2/2012, 10:29 pm

I've been using a tumbler composter and both batches I have made have turned out tennis ball-sized balls of compost. From the research I've done in the archives of these forums, I think I have too much green stuff. If I let it "cook" for a longer time will the balls turn into crumbly compost? I have had it in the composter for about 10 weeks and wonder if it's "done".
avatar
offtheporch

Posts : 24
Join date : 2012-03-24
Location : Mid-Michigan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: compost balls!

Post  Kelejan on 7/3/2012, 12:09 am

offtheporch, try breaking up one of these "tennis balls" to see what it is made of. If something like grass, then put the TBs aside and sift what you already have, I bet it is near finished. Then break the TBS and mix in some browns, and the remnents of the sifted compost, mix well, and away you go again.

On the other hand, the balls may consist of worm colonies. Good news if you have worms.

PS That is what I would do; I really have no idea if I am right. Expert opinions, please?
avatar
Kelejan

Female Posts : 4998
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 82
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: compost balls!

Post  Triciasgarden on 7/3/2012, 12:41 am

Sounds good to me too but alas I am not very experienced in this area. I have a composter also so I will have to see if that happens to me.
avatar
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1632
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 62
Location : Northern Utah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: compost balls!

Post  Cincinnati on 7/3/2012, 7:45 am

@offtheporch wrote:I've been using a tumbler composter ....

I have a tumbler too. I believe I get clumps and balls because the product clumps together as I add water to it. Regardless of why I get them, sometimes the clumps are finished, sometimes they are clumps of grass that have not finished decaying. I simply break them up by hand if necessary. I occasionally use a pitch fork and turn the compost in the drum, throwing it against the sides of the drum. Sometimes this doesn't work and then I resort to sifting through the batch by hand.


Cincinnati

Posts : 182
Join date : 2011-06-26
Location : Alabama Gulf Coast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: compost balls!

Post  GWN on 7/3/2012, 10:27 am

One time I dumped the whole tumbler out and stomped on all the balls with some success
I have found that the balls formed when the compost was too wet and I found adding more leaves and
"browns" seemed to help
avatar
GWN

Posts : 2804
Join date : 2012-01-14
Age : 61
Location : british columbia zone 5a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: compost balls!

Post  Cincinnati on 7/3/2012, 11:50 am

@GWN wrote:One time I dumped the whole tumbler out and stomped on all the balls with some success
I have found that the balls formed when the compost was too wet and I found adding more leaves and
"browns" seemed to help

If the clumps are compost, every time you add more stuff to the drum, you start the clock all over for that batch.

Cincinnati

Posts : 182
Join date : 2011-06-26
Location : Alabama Gulf Coast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: compost balls!

Post  Kelejan on 7/3/2012, 11:54 am

@Cincinnati wrote:
@GWN wrote:One time I dumped the whole tumbler out and stomped on all the balls with some success
I have found that the balls formed when the compost was too wet and I found adding more leaves and
"browns" seemed to help

If the clumps are compost, every time you add more stuff to the drum, you start the clock all over for that batch.

If the clumps are compost, then that is why you need to take them out and start a new batch.
avatar
Kelejan

Female Posts : 4998
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 82
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: compost balls!

Post  offtheporch on 7/3/2012, 2:49 pm

@Kelejan wrote:
@Cincinnati wrote:
@GWN wrote:One time I dumped the whole tumbler out and stomped on all the balls with some success
I have found that the balls formed when the compost was too wet and I found adding more leaves and
"browns" seemed to help

If the clumps are compost, every time you add more stuff to the drum, you start the clock all over for that batch.

If the clumps are compost, then that is why you need to take them out and start a new batch.

That's what my question was to a certain extent...when it turns into the balls, does that mean it's done?
Also with this tumbler composter you do it in a "batch" meaning you don't keep adding stuff as you go. You load it once and let it "cook" just keeping it moist and turning it every few days. I sounds like the balls form because there is too much green. That's good to know.
avatar
offtheporch

Posts : 24
Join date : 2012-03-24
Location : Mid-Michigan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: compost balls!

Post  Cincinnati on 7/3/2012, 3:59 pm

@offtheporch wrote:... sounds like the balls form because there is too much green. That's good to know.

NOt necessarily. That's what I'm trying to tell you. I have to periodically add water to my drum as the compost dries out. Sometimes the clumps form after the composting process is complete. Sometimes they form before it is complete.

IF, when you break open the clumps, you can recognize the raw ingredients as grass or whatever, then the clumps are not finished composting.

IF, when you break them open, it crumbles into finer pieces, then it is finished composting.


Cincinnati

Posts : 182
Join date : 2011-06-26
Location : Alabama Gulf Coast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: compost balls!

Post  offtheporch on 7/3/2012, 4:37 pm

@Cincinnati wrote:
@offtheporch wrote:... sounds like the balls form because there is too much green. That's good to know.

NOt necessarily. That's what I'm trying to tell you. I have to periodically add water to my drum as the compost dries out. Sometimes the clumps form after the composting process is complete. Sometimes they form before it is complete.

IF, when you break open the clumps, you can recognize the raw ingredients as grass or whatever, then the clumps are not finished composting.

IF, when you break them open, it crumbles into finer pieces, then it is finished composting.


Ok, Got it. Thank you so much for clearing it up for me. You've been very helpful.
avatar
offtheporch

Posts : 24
Join date : 2012-03-24
Location : Mid-Michigan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: compost balls!

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum