Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 8:21 am

by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:24 am

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:20 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:09 am

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:07 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:01 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 2:14 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:58 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:22 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:52 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:21 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/8/2016, 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Brandywine-specific question

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Brandywine-specific question

Post  llama momma on 9/24/2012, 8:20 am

@Roseinarosecity wrote:Dear Gardeners,
... A woman in the Q&A section of Rosalind Creasy's talk asked why her Brandywine tomato plant did not produce tomatoes. Ms. Creasy answered that the Brandywine tomato originated in Ohio and...humidity helps ...and Floyd states, different regions having different results with the same tomatoes...
Roseinarosecity
Thank you for that information!
I can confirm the summer humidity levels here in central Ohio are high and uncomfortable. That helps explain the decent Brandywine production. Cause I know I'm not a gifted gardener. Wink
First time growing 1880's Amish Paste Brandywine did pretty well, even though it dropped blossoms. Now I understand the reason- insufficient pollination of all 8 ovaries.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4642

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 9/24/2012, 10:38 am

Wow! what a great discussion, and all the helpful information.

Rose, like you, Brandywine has been largely a bust for me here in St. Helens, OR, but for flavor and decent fruit set, Black Sea Man has been great. Not as big a fruit set as Early Girl, but sooo much more flavor. If you'd like to try it, send me a P.M. and I'll mail you some of the seed I just received from Tomatofest. Nonna

Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 9/24/2012, 10:45 am

I am gardening in Brooks, GA. With very high high humidity in the middle of the summer. Although I had high humidity I still had no flower set because of the high temperatures (I assume). So humidity by itself does not help fruit set. I basically had no Brandywine in July and August on my one plant. Since August (after the temperatures moderated), I have picked 6 Brandywine. So maybe the answer is high humidity and moderate temperatures.

yolos

Female Posts : 2861

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny on 9/24/2012, 6:05 pm

@yolos wrote:I am gardening in Brooks, GA. With very high high humidity in the middle of the summer. Although I had high humidity I still had no flower set because of the high temperatures (I assume). So humidity by itself does not help fruit set. I basically had no Brandywine in July and August on my one plant. Since August (after the temperatures moderated), I have picked 6 Brandywine. So maybe the answer is high humidity and moderate temperatures.

I think you are correct. Even though the area I live in had some very uncomfortable heat this summer there was high humidity. For me the fact that my toms got some shade in the afternoon was a factor that made for a very productive yield.

Just finished picking the rest of my 2 Brandywine plants. Frost nipped them a bit last night - even though there was none in the forecast. The toms themselves were not harmed so I picked the rest today.

I have now harvested a total of 54 tomatoes and a total of 39 pounds. I would say that is amazing since I know that many have not had that success. Wondering if my variety also contributed to that. I purchased two plants from a local nursery. Maybe they are wise enough to only sell what is compatible for this area. I guess I will have to ask them.

greatgranny

Female Posts : 634

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 9/24/2012, 6:10 pm

greatgranny, please share the information you glean from the nursery. We keep hearing how delicious a Brandywine is, and we try to grow them without much success. Perhaps it is the varietal. In the meantime: WOW, 39 pounds from two plants! Totally impressive, I'm here to tell 'ya. Nonna

Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 on 9/24/2012, 7:53 pm

@yolos wrote:The following is the best web site I have ever seen when wanting information on specific varieties of vegetables. I was searching for information on various broccoli varieties and stumbled upon reviews for Brandywine. In the upper left you can type in any variety of vegetable and usually get results. Below the map are the reviews by different growers. Check it out.

http://vegvariety.cce.cornell.edu/main/detail.php?variety_id=1671

Based on the reviews for Brandywine, I think I will try the Brandywine - pink Suddath (Quisenberry strain) sold at Johnny's (or so the reviewer said). Apparently heat is a problem with fruit set. I will try to start as early as I can in the spring using row covers. One thing that many of the reviews said was Brandwine are slow to mature. But I picked my first Brandywine at the same time I picked my first Early Girl. Go figure.

Nice link.... I got my Brandywines from Johnny's I had problems with them setting when it got very hot but when it cooled down several set on each plant but probably will not turn; but I like green toms anyway. Bottomline they are not as prolific as other tomatoes so may plant less of the pink Brandys next year but hopefully it will not be so hot next summer and I will have better results........

floyd1440

Male Posts : 795

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny on 9/24/2012, 11:05 pm

@Nonna.PapaVino wrote:greatgranny, please share the information you glean from the nursery. We keep hearing how delicious a Brandywine is, and we try to grow them without much success. Perhaps it is the varietal. In the meantime: WOW, 39 pounds from two plants! Totally impressive, I'm here to tell 'ya. Nonna

As soon as I can reach them I will ask them. Both of the owners are very well versed in organic gardening, etc.

greatgranny

Female Posts : 634

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:44 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum