Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:53 am

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising Today at 12:35 am

» Winter Reading, Anyone?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Sprouted Onion Question
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:11 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:07 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:00 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:58 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 5:49 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by plantoid Yesterday at 5:47 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 5:05 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 4:56 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by llama momma Yesterday at 2:16 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by llama momma Yesterday at 1:59 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by Ginger Blue Yesterday at 1:57 pm

by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:24 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 12/9/2016, 9:29 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson 12/9/2016, 12:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie 12/9/2016, 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson 12/9/2016, 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

first attempt at canning

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

first attempt at canning

Post  philct on 7/8/2012, 9:28 pm

So I went to Agway today and bought a 12 pack of mason jars and a small package of pickle mix... In the future I'll make my own mix, but I figured first time I would use theirs... Anyway I picked 3 cucumbers from my garden, sterilized 2 mason jars and went to town.. Here are some pictures:

One of the jars the pickles are floating a bit at the top. I think it's because I stored them in the fridge for a day before cutting and jaring.. So for that one I will turn the jar upside down and back every few days...

I did not water bath them as the package said as long as I keep in the fridge they are good for 6 months... Only two jars and they will be eaten in 2 weeks for sure!! LOL Next batch I'll try bathing them.

philct

Male Posts : 170

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: first attempt at canning

Post  CarolinaGirl on 7/8/2012, 9:34 pm

Those look great! This is my first year with SQFT gardening and I didn't put any cucumbers in because I didn't feel like also having my first canning experience this year as well lol. BUT I just got pickling cucumbers on sale from Johnny's Seeds the other day... so next spring I'll be growing those and making homemade pickles! Yummy!!

CarolinaGirl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden on 7/9/2012, 4:53 pm

Philct your pickles look GREAT! I don't blame you for estimating that it will only take two weeks to finish them off. hungry

I had my first experience at canning on Saturday! I finally harvested enough sweet banana peppers to pickle a single, 1-pint jar. Not much, but I was pleased with myself! I used a recipe that I found on Food.com that only needed: vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, and celery seeds. They need to sit for at least a couple of weeks before we eat them. Can't wait!

MasonGarden

Female Posts : 284

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 7/9/2012, 9:53 pm

These both look awesome! I am about ready to try my first canning experience at pickling beets hungry

cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch on 7/9/2012, 10:02 pm

Nice job. I'll start pickling a few cucumbers soon...we have too many to eat right now. If you don't have enough cucumbers to fill a jar, stick in some celery sticks and onions. My wife's grandmother pickles green beans as well...cool refreshing summer snack...calls them Dilly Beans.

landarch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. on 7/10/2012, 10:40 am

@landarch wrote:Nice job. I'll start pickling a few cucumbers soon...we have too many to eat right now. If you don't have enough cucumbers to fill a jar, stick in some celery sticks and onions. My wife's grandmother pickles green beans as well...cool refreshing summer snack...calls them Dilly Beans.

i love dilly beans.

philct and MasonGarden, your jars of pickles look great! i usually just pickle a jar at a time--whatever is in the garden that i think will be good. my most recent pickling was okra/green tomatoes/onions.

when we finish a jar, i add veggies to the brine, until the brine is gone. this is the time of year that i start finishing whatever dehydrated foods we have left in the pantry--things like squash slices, or bits of broccoli or cauliflower--the only thing i don't continue to add to the jar are onions or garlic because they don't absorb flavor but rather impart it.

rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

View user profile http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 7/10/2012, 11:23 am

I wish I could learn all about canning right at someone's elbow. I've looked over the Ball book and it's not the same of course as being able to ask questions during the experience. If anyone in central Ohio reads this and would like free help with their canning I'd sure love to help and learn!

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4648

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. on 7/10/2012, 11:35 am

call your local county extension office! they often have classes available, or they know someone who would be happy to teach you in exchange for your help in putting up a big batch.

rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 7/10/2012, 12:09 pm

Don't forget that the brine that you can your pickles and dilly beans in makes a great start to a vinaigrette salad dressing.

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 7/10/2012, 12:55 pm

@rowena___. wrote:call your local county extension office! they often have classes available, or they know someone who would be happy to teach you in exchange for your help in putting up a big batch.

What a fantastic idea, thankyou

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4648

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JustMe on 7/10/2012, 2:56 pm

Congratulations!

Thrilled to know others are getting cucumbers. (My plant seems to be stunted.) I am hoping to visit the farmer's market this weekend to see what there is to see.

JustMe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover on 7/11/2012, 7:44 am

@llama momma wrote:
@rowena___. wrote:call your local county extension office! they often have classes available, or they know someone who would be happy to teach you in exchange for your help in putting up a big batch.

What a fantastic idea, thankyou

I am in the Columbus area and have been canning all my life. Maybe we could arrange to meet? PM me if you would like to.

herblover

Female Posts : 526

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 7/11/2012, 9:06 am

" Dilly beans " can someone put up pictures of them :- on the plant , off the plant and in a pickle jar plus the recipe please ?

we have broad beans , your name for these is .... ?????

French runner beans or also known as Kidney beans because of the shape ... your name = pole beans ???/

Dwarf french bean developed from above for main stream agriculture as an easy to mechanically harvest crop , thin short skinney green beans ...your name = bush beans ????

Yellow wax beans similar to above but slightly longer and a waxy yellow in colour of the pod white ish bean seed inside .......your name = ......... ?

All coming throught the pipe line if the slugs don't get them again ..

plantoid

Male Posts : 3638

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. on 7/11/2012, 9:42 am

dilly beans are any bean in a pod that is put up as a dill pickle.

rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch on 7/11/2012, 10:03 am

@rowena___. wrote:dilly beans are any bean in a pod that is put up as a dill pickle.

straighter and longer the better...curly beans are a pain pack into a jar.

landarch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  philct on 7/11/2012, 7:30 pm

So 3 days in and my pickles are still floating. I left them in the fridge for 2 days before canning. Is there anything other than flipping the jars every few days that I can do? Or do I even have to worry about it?

philct

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 7/11/2012, 7:50 pm

Don't worry about it. The only way I get them to not float is PACK the jar TIGHTLY before pouring the hot brine.

Last edited by camprn on 7/11/2012, 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos per usual)

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. on 7/11/2012, 9:43 pm

agreed, it is typical of foods that are cold packed. you can make hot packed pickles but they are not as crisp, and truthfully i think they taste kind of cooked.

rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  philct on 7/12/2012, 10:22 am

Take 2
This time I used fresh picked instead of 2 days later and also stuffed the jar FULL... We'll see how it goes...

philct

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 7/12/2012, 2:54 pm

@philct wrote:Take 2
This time I used fresh picked instead of 2 days later and also stuffed the jar FULL... We'll see how it goes...

okay

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

camprn

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  NAR56 on 7/12/2012, 3:08 pm

@MasonGarden wrote:
I had my first experience at canning on Saturday! I finally harvested enough sweet banana peppers to pickle a single, 1-pint jar. Not much, but I was pleased with myself! I used a recipe that I found on Food.com that only needed: vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, and celery seeds. They need to sit for at least a couple of weeks before we eat them. Can't wait!

MasonGarden your post inspired me to do the same with my Banana peppers. I have a question: did you have to water bath the Banana pepper rings after you poured in the Brine solution? If so how long. Thanks again for inspiring me to make my own pickled pepper rings! 'thanks'

NAR56

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden on 7/12/2012, 6:40 pm

Thanks NAR56. My inspiration was losing a lot of my peppers last year, because we couldn't eat them fast enough, so I promised myself that wouldn't happen this year. I'm sure that there are lots of recipes and techniques out there, but thanks for asking your question. The recipe that I used is on Food.com ("Sweet Pickled Banana Peppers" by Bergy). Not having any experience with canning, I followed the directions which didn't mention anything about a water bath. I just put the seals and bands on, and tightened them before storing them in the pantry. I just sent a message to Bergy to find out if I should have done something more. I hope that they're OK. Otherwise, I'll toss them out and try again with the next batch. I'll let you know what I find out.

The brine was brought to a hard boil before adding to the jar which I had also sterilized and kept in the pot of hot water until I was ready to fill it. The jar seems to have sealed itself, as the lid is depressed. Does anyone else have any advice? Is it ok to "put up" pickled food without a water bath?

MasonGarden

Female Posts : 284

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 7/13/2012, 2:23 am

I think you do have to do the water bath. The rest of what you did sounds good like preparing your jars, etc.! Did you also heat your lids a bit before putting them on your jars? Found a good site and it mentions processing for 15 minutes. www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1636,152172-228199,00.html. My friend told me when her mom made pickles, she soaked them in a pickling solution for I think weeks before canning them. The reason I am saying that is maybe you will not have to start over. There are others who would know the answer. You can probably contact Rowena on this forum, she does a lot of canning. I know there are others, just can't think of them right off hand. It will be interesting to find out!

Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. on 7/13/2012, 11:34 am

@MasonGarden wrote:
The brine was brought to a hard boil before adding to the jar which I had also sterilized and kept in the pot of hot water until I was ready to fill it. The jar seems to have sealed itself, as the lid is depressed. Does anyone else have any advice? Is it ok to "put up" pickled food without a water bath?

officially, no. unofficially, maybe. Smile

foods that are soaked in a vinegar solution are not actually, technically pickled. they are brined. foods that are fermented--make their own acid/vinegar--are pickled. thus, sauerkraut can be left in a crock in the basement all year, but cucumbers have to be canned or refrigerated.

having said all that: for ages, people have been making brined cucumbers and putting them on a shelf. the fact that they did not die from them is not proof that they were safe to eat. it is easy to get lucky with high acid foods, and 9 times out of 10, they are fine. the problem is that you can't tell when they are not fine, because the foods generally don't show symptoms--after all if food goes bad in vinegar, it is hard to tell from the smell, and most pickled foods get a little soft over time anyway regardless of processing.

and thus, the official word from the USDA is this: process any food that you intend to store on the shelf in either a boiling water bath (foods 4.6pH or less), or in a pressure canner (foods over 4.6ph), for the correct time and at the correct temperature or pressure for your altitude. these are the only two methods of canning that have been tested and proven consistently safe. they are not saying that other methods are not safe--they are saying that they have not been able to produce consistent and dependable proofs and methods for safe food canning using any other methods.

disclosure: i am not a certified master food preserver but i passed the master food preservers program in georgia with flying colors (i missed only 1 question in 10 exams!). they can't officially certify me because i am not a resident of georgia, but the state of tennessee no longer has a MFP program due to budget cuts so i couldn't take the course here. instead i'll be issued a certificate of completion from the national center for home food preservation/UGA, which is lame but all they can do and i will happily frame it for my wall along with all my other certifications. Smile

rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 7/13/2012, 12:48 pm

A big + 1 for your post Rowena!!

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:02 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum