Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing February 2017?
by Kelejan Today at 8:54 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Today at 7:08 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by Mellen Today at 6:57 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 6:40 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Mellen Today at 6:37 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 6:17 pm

» So. California & Inland Valleys -March / April Planting Guide
by No_Such_Reality Today at 1:58 pm

» Root Knot Nematodes - PROGRESS!
by sanderson Today at 1:48 pm

» Our 2017 garden makeover
by trolleydriver Today at 1:20 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Plant ID
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:04 pm

» Western Mount/High Plains: Seed Planting Dates zone 5b
by RoOsTeR Yesterday at 8:58 am

» I'll get my Texas garden right yet
by RoOsTeR Yesterday at 8:57 am

» Roots...information....
by MrBooker Yesterday at 6:19 am

» Is this wood correct for building box?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:42 am

» Hello from IA Zone 5
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:38 am

» Feedback for my 2017 garden plan
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:10 am

» ticks
by camprn 2/20/2017, 11:18 pm

» N&C Midwest: February 2017
by CitizenKate 2/20/2017, 10:58 pm

» Peppers with black spots
by camprn 2/20/2017, 10:10 pm

» February 2017 Avatar: Time to Wake Up!
by sanderson 2/20/2017, 9:37 pm

» broccoli stunted
by yolos 2/20/2017, 9:34 pm

» Sanderson - Virtual Roadtrip Flyover
by trolleydriver 2/20/2017, 4:24 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by Goosegirl 2/20/2017, 3:53 pm

» Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this...
by trolleydriver 2/20/2017, 3:52 pm

» Spring Fever Anyone?
by newbeone 2/20/2017, 3:15 pm

» The raised bed of my dreams!
by ralitaco 2/19/2017, 9:20 pm

» Help - Building new raised beds
by ralitaco 2/19/2017, 9:06 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Finally built my first 4' x 4' bed and filled it.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Finally built my first 4' x 4' bed and filled it.

Post  cpl100 on 7/9/2012, 4:31 pm

I am so excited. It was such a chore to build the bed, find the stuff to mix and mix it! OMG, I thought it would kill us to do all that mixing since I decided to do a taller bed so that I could plant a lot of carrots. Then I decided we needed to have a cage for the top...more work and more tools to buy! We are not handy nor do we have tools....I learned one could not do this project with just a hammer and a screwdriver!

SO! Now it is time to plant. I have read the book, re-consulted the book, read these forums, borrowed three more growing books from the library and consulted them. I am so confused as to what I can plant now in my sixteen squares.

My interests are: beets, broccoli, carrots, chard, spinach, lettuce, bush cucumber, beans (bush type--not up to building that trellis yet!), dill, scallion, garlic. I have bought seeds, some of the products I got two different variety of seed. Can I plant all of those types of seeds now? I want to do peas later for fall (hopefully by then I will have the energy to build the trellis). I do have two tomato plants and two pepper plants in pots that I planted earlier this year. Both have just started to bear fruit and both seem to have some kind of growing issue so I don't know what is going to happen with those.

Advise please? Need lots and lots of help! Sometimes I think doing too much research is more confusing than enlightening and there really is no substitute for experience and the people who bless you with their own experience.

In zone 6a MA

Thank you, a hundred thank yous!

cpl100

Posts : 420
Join date : 2012-06-25
Location : MA Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Finally built my first 4' x 4' bed and filled it.

Post  camprn on 7/9/2012, 4:40 pm

@cpl100 wrote:I am so excited. It was such a chore to build the bed, find the stuff to mix and mix it! OMG, I thought it would kill us to do all that mixing since I decided to do a taller bed so that I could plant a lot of carrots. Then I decided we needed to have a cage for the top...more work and more tools to buy! We are not handy nor do we have tools....I learned one could not do this project with just a hammer and a screwdriver!

SO! Now it is time to plant. I have read the book, re-consulted the book, read these forums, borrowed three more growing books from the library and consulted them. I am so confused as to what I can plant now in my sixteen squares.

My interests are: beets, broccoli, carrots, chard, spinach, lettuce, bush cucumber, beans (bush type--not up to building that trellis yet!), dill, scallion, garlic. I have bought seeds, some of the products I got two different variety of seed. Can I plant all of those types of seeds now? I want to do peas later for fall (hopefully by then I will have the energy to build the trellis). I do have two tomato plants and two pepper plants in pots that I planted earlier this year. Both have just started to bear fruit and both seem to have some kind of growing issue so I don't know what is going to happen with those.

Advise please? Need lots and lots of help! Sometimes I think doing too much research is more confusing than enlightening and there really is no substitute for experience and the people who bless you with their own experience.

In zone 6a MA

Thank you, a hundred thank yous!
Hey, I may have asked this already but where are you located in Mass? Of all those things mentioned, you can put in everything but the garlic, but you should do it in the next few days. There is only about 8-9, maybe an at the outside 10 weeks of growing season left.

The garlic will go in in November.

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books




camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14075
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Finally built my first 4' x 4' bed and filled it.

Post  cpl100 on 7/9/2012, 4:49 pm

Thanks for your help. I sent you a PM with my city information.

So, I can just go outside and plant all my squares, right? Would you mind advising which crop I should put where I want the peas later? I know they will need to be finished so I can plant the peas.

Would I be able to re-plant any of the mentioned crops after they are harvested once? Thinking maybe the lettuce and spinach from what I have read but I could be totally wrong!

Is there a preferred crop (from those I mentioned) to plant prior to the garlic planting later? Not sure which thing I should put where.

Thanks, again!

cpl100

Posts : 420
Join date : 2012-06-25
Location : MA Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Finally built my first 4' x 4' bed and filled it.

Post  camprn on 7/9/2012, 6:23 pm

@cpl100 wrote:Thanks for your help. I sent you a PM with my city information.

So, I can just go outside and plant all my squares, right? Would you mind advising which crop I should put where I want the peas later? I know they will need to be finished so I can plant the peas.

Would I be able to re-plant any of the mentioned crops after they are harvested once? Thinking maybe the lettuce and spinach from what I have read but I could be totally wrong!

Is there a preferred crop (from those I mentioned) to plant prior to the garlic planting later? Not sure which thing I should put where.

Thanks, again!
I am planting peas in the next few days. You may want to plant them sometime next week, or maybe the week after that.

There are a lot of previous threads about placement and spacing. There is also info in the SFG book.

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books




camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14075
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Finally built my first 4' x 4' bed and filled it.

Post  cpl100 on 7/9/2012, 7:36 pm

Oh. Thank you. I must be confused again. For some reason, I thought peas were for the cooler weather of Fall and were not to be planted in the heat.

cpl100

Posts : 420
Join date : 2012-06-25
Location : MA Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Finally built my first 4' x 4' bed and filled it.

Post  camprn on 7/9/2012, 9:08 pm

@cpl100 wrote:Oh. Thank you. I must be confused again. For some reason, I thought peas were for the cooler weather of Fall and were not to be planted in the heat.
They are, but they take at least 8 weeks to get to a point of producing pods, so I have to plant now. My anticipated first frost date is about September 20th. I have to plant now.
Sugar Ann Snap Pea<~~~click
Folia says 35 days before frost, but I don't trust that.

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books




camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14075
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Finally built my first 4' x 4' bed and filled it.

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum