Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 1:42 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by trolleydriver Today at 12:46 pm

» Ayrshire Newbie
by robert1938 Today at 12:17 pm

» Hello from West Coast Of Scotland
by robert1938 Today at 12:02 pm

» Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit REGISTER NOW!
by countrynaturals Today at 11:53 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver Today at 9:53 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM Today at 12:33 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 8:47 pm

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 8:40 pm

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by Turan Yesterday at 5:14 pm

» Lower south Oct 2017
by brianj555 Yesterday at 5:02 pm

» Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 4:50 pm

» Thumbs Up????
by brianj555 Yesterday at 4:47 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY - ENDS 10/20/17
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:37 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:34 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by Turan Yesterday at 12:01 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:17 am

» Today's Harvest
by brianj555 10/16/2017, 8:21 pm

» new greenhouse got drafted
by Scorpio Rising 10/16/2017, 8:08 pm

» Monarch Supporter
by Scorpio Rising 10/16/2017, 7:55 pm

» New England October 2017
by countrynaturals 10/16/2017, 1:09 pm

» October Avatar: Don't Fence Me In
by trolleydriver 10/16/2017, 11:45 am

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals 10/15/2017, 3:51 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 10/15/2017, 3:28 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 10/15/2017, 11:34 am

» Leaf-Footed squash bugs
by sanderson 10/14/2017, 11:21 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by Scorpio Rising 10/14/2017, 9:12 pm

» Tomato Questions
by Scorpio Rising 10/14/2017, 9:06 pm

» large plant ID stakes
by has55 10/14/2017, 4:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

HELP!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

HELP!!

Post  Momof5Js on 7/12/2012, 5:53 pm

I need help. Can anyone tell me what happened to my plants? The first is my cucumbers. I went to bed with happy plants, but came out this morning to this very wilted cucumber plant.

Some plants still seem to be doing okay.

I also have this problem with my green beans. I planted 16 squares to Blue Lake Bush Bean in the 2nd week of May and this is all I have left.

I also have this problem with my flowers. I just don't understand. I planted the same plants from the same green house in the same Mel's Mix.

And one final question. Any ideas why my carrot tops are turning brown on the edges? At first I thought my darling kitty cats were trying to help me water. YUCK!

Well, after all my complaining, I thought I had better add a picture of the overall garden.

Thanks in advance for all of your help. What a blessing this forum has been. Just the other day my darling hubby asked me, "This isn't supposed to be saving us money, is it?"
Momof5Js

Female Posts : 44

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HELP!!

Post  southern gardener on 7/12/2012, 8:14 pm

wow! you sure are having problems. I don't know what's wrong. I'm not a pro by any means. Is there a chance of overwatering? It looks like they are being "burned" or something? I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. On the other hand, your garden is beautiful! I hope someone will chime in here to help you. What did you use in your compost blend? that might lend a clue??
southern gardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 7/12/2012, 8:27 pm

What did you use in your compost blend? that might lend a clue??

I agree. For anyone to be of assistance, you are going to have to list more details. What exactly is in your Mel's Mix, number and types of composts, manure, weather, pests, watering, watering schedule, etc. We need specifics please Very Happy

I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 4318

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Momof5Js on 7/12/2012, 8:42 pm

For our Mel's Mix we used course vermiculite, peat moss and cotton burr compost, steer manure, mushroom compost, chicken manure and I'm sorry I don't remember the last one. We mixed, moistened and mixed again. We have been having terrible weather. For two weeks, we were over 110 and no rain. The wind blew like crazy. So I put up a bamboo screen on the south side to block the wind. Darling hubby also built the shade covers.
I try to keep the mix moist but not soggy. It think it should slightly stick to my fingers. If it does, no water. If not, water. I water with a wand and only at the base of the plant.
I tried planting peas twice (in early spring - April) the plants came up beautifully then died and sickening death. Leaves turned yellowish white, wilted and then turned crunchy, brown. Same with the green beans.
Some things do have some burn from the intense heat before I got the shades built, but they seemed to be coming out of it. Minus a few leaves Sad
I do love my garden and I enjoy every minute I'm in it. "Where's mom?" "In the garden!"
Sorry I don't know what else to offer. I have started a compost bin so I can have my own. I have thought about adding some llama poo. W have access to some free for hauling poo.
Thanks again for taking a look at the pics.
Momof5Js

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 7/12/2012, 8:47 pm

Have any pesticides been used in the vicinity by either you or neighbors? Different plants have different tolerances to pesticide drift.
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  CharlesB on 7/12/2012, 8:56 pm

Looks like they are beat up from the heat. My garden is too. Looks similar.
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 7/12/2012, 8:59 pm

Interesting boffer. I've had great results with my cotton burls compost, but I've seen it brought up several times about the cotton being heavily treated with pesticides before harvesting. Here's one quote:

Cincinnati on Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:06 am

Cotton growers spray their crop to kill the plants before harvest. Many really bad agri-chemicals don't leach out with rain. This is why I don't compost anything that I am not 100% sure hasn't been chemically treated, including free leaves from the city dumping spot because some home owners and the city spray insecticides on their trees.

and I think camprn has mentioned it before too.
I'm by no means implying that's what the problem is. Just something to think about. Again, I've had great results with my cotton burls compost.

I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 4318

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Momof5Js on 7/12/2012, 9:05 pm

CharlesB wrote:Looks like they are beat up from the heat. My garden is too. Looks similar.

The heat is very likely the problem with the cucumbers. Most everything shut down when it was so hot. I do have new blooms and fruit on the tomatoes.
Momof5Js

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Momof5Js on 7/12/2012, 9:09 pm

boffer wrote:Have any pesticides been used in the vicinity by either you or neighbors? Different plants have different tolerances to pesticide drift.

Not sure where this post went, but I'll try again.

We do live in a very rural area with lots of farming and ariel spraying. I do use Seven Dust for the bugs. Although we try to squish the ones we find. We tend to have a problem with tiny, tiny flying black bugs that can eat a cabbage plant in one evening Evil or Very Mad

Come to think of it we lost all of our apricots about the same time as the first peas. And that could have been close to the spring field spraying.
Momof5Js

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch on 7/13/2012, 12:43 am

We have been in the triple digits for about a week and a half...more to come next week too...my bean leaves are starting to turn brown and crunchy...we need rain. with some recent cooler night temps, the tomatoes have put on some new growth...probably won't last long.

By the way, your garden looks really nice...what part of western KS are you guys in? You guys have been in a drought since last year, correct?
landarch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 7/13/2012, 7:16 am

Momof5, when you are testing the mix for moisture are you doing the finger test, where you only feel the top 2 or so inches or are you sticking your hand down in the mix to feel farther down? Maybe the bottoms of the beds have dried out........ just a thought.

The cucumbers are interesting. Have you seen any cucumber beetles on the plants? they can be vectors of cucumber bacterial wilt.

have you by chance pulled up any of the effected carrots? Have you notices any wire worms on the roots?

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  naturallypatty on 7/13/2012, 8:57 am

Same type of issues here. The 100+ degree dry days have taken their toll. I think the plants that have the crunchy brown edges are actually sunburnt. I have resorted to hanging some burlap as a sunscreen, increased my watering and am wetting the burlap to help retain some moisture in the air surrounding the plants I am trying to save (like my blueberries). Whenever the plants are really stressed, the opportunistic diseases and insects really take a toll. We are used to being hot and humid here in Illinois. This hot and dry is new to us! Good luck to everyone facing the same situations.
naturallypatty

Female Posts : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch on 7/13/2012, 9:08 am

the intense sun in a concern for my vining tomaotes...less vegetation to shade the fruit when grown on a trellis...the determinates are doing just fine...been seeing some thickened skin and cracking on resistant varieties on the trellised indeterminates...tomatoes are ripening before they get big enough (beefsteak-types are lots smaller than my Jetstars).

I'm too busy to mess with shading the trellises...and it's too hot outside...wait...just heard some thunder.
landarch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Momof5Js on 7/13/2012, 12:03 pm

landarch wrote:We have been in the triple digits for about a week and a half...more to come next week too...my bean leaves are starting to turn brown and crunchy...we need rain. with some recent cooler night temps, the tomatoes have put on some new growth...probably won't last long.

By the way, your garden looks really nice...what part of western KS are you guys in? You guys have been in a drought since last year, correct?

We are about 50 miles northwest of Hays. Yes, we have been very dry for some time know. Without a winter to speak of, no spring rains and unbearable heat it is a wonder anything is growing Rolling Eyes

I guess I picked a tough year to get started. I am not giving up though. Thanks for the encouragement.

We will actually be heading to the KC area the last week in July. DD has an appointment at Children's Mercy.
Momof5Js

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Momof5Js on 7/13/2012, 12:14 pm

camprn wrote:Momof5, when you are testing the mix for moisture are you doing the finger test, where you only feel the top 2 or so inches or are you sticking your hand down in the mix to feel farther down? Maybe the bottoms of the beds have dried out........ just a thought.

The cucumbers are interesting. Have you seen any cucumber beetles on the plants? they can be vectors of cucumber bacterial wilt.

have you by chance pulled up any of the effected carrots? Have you notices any wire worms on the roots?

Thanks for the questions. They got me doing some exploring in the garden this morning. When I test the moisture, I usually stick my hand in between plants as not disturb roots and feel about a hands depth. Sometimes the tops are a little dry but the bottoms are staying nice a moist. From the book, I understand too much water should not be an issue. Although, we do have bottoms on our boxes with drain holes covered in weed fabric to keep my precious mix were it belongs.

I have not seen any beetles on the cucumbers, but I did make a discovery this morning. I pulled the dying plants in hopes of keeping any disease (if that's the problem) from lingering in my garden too long. The roots seemed healthy, but right where the soil meets the main stem about an inch or so into the dirt it looked like something was nibbling on the main stem/root. Any ideas?

I pulled some carrots this morning. I did not do much thinning as I really did not think my carrots were coming up. So now I have some funny shaped ones Embarassed

These are from the south bed.

These are from the north bed.

The roots all appear to be healthy and I did not see any creepy, crawly things around.

I did pull a carrot the other day and it seems that if the brown leaves reach the carrot it starts to soften, rot in the middle of the carrot from the top down. So in my limited knowledge, I think it is coming through the leaves.

Thanks a million and one times for the help. I will keep exploring and learning something new each day.
Momof5Js

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Momof5Js on 7/13/2012, 12:17 pm

naturallypatty wrote:Same type of issues here. The 100+ degree dry days have taken their toll. I think the plants that have the crunchy brown edges are actually sunburnt. I have resorted to hanging some burlap as a sunscreen, increased my watering and am wetting the burlap to help retain some moisture in the air surrounding the plants I am trying to save (like my blueberries). Whenever the plants are really stressed, the opportunistic diseases and insects really take a toll. We are used to being hot and humid here in Illinois. This hot and dry is new to us! Good luck to everyone facing the same situations.

Thanks for the post. I am happy to say we have been enjoing reasonably cooler weather with a few sprinkles. I am sure we had alot of sunburns going on the last couple of weeks. Hopefully you can get a break soon. Very Happy
Momof5Js

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Momof5Js on 7/13/2012, 12:20 pm

landarch wrote:the intense sun in a concern for my vining tomaotes...less vegetation to shade the fruit when grown on a trellis...the determinates are doing just fine...been seeing some thickened skin and cracking on resistant varieties on the trellised indeterminates...tomatoes are ripening before they get big enough (beefsteak-types are lots smaller than my Jetstars).

I'm too busy to mess with shading the trellises...and it's too hot outside...wait...just heard some thunder.

I hope your thunder turned into some showers for you flower
Momof5Js

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 7/13/2012, 12:30 pm

Wow, nice looking carrots! now that you pulled a few, maybe the other will get bigger. If you are seeing just a few of the dried out leaves, there is probably nothing to worry about with the carrots.

Sometimes cucumbers can get disease that causes the stem to collapse at the soil level . Does the stem look rotten or actually eaten?

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum