Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 2:14 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:00 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:19 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by yolos Yesterday at 5:57 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:21 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 4:41 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Yesterday at 7:05 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 12/7/2016, 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/7/2016, 9:41 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan 12/7/2016, 5:19 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/7/2016, 11:48 am

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Strange year

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Strange year

Post  greatgranny on 7/16/2012, 9:12 pm

One would think that if one vine crop is doing awesome that they all would. Well, my squash is very healthy and blooming and making babies. The melons are another story. The plants are less lush and the fruits are sparse. All are on trellis - not the same one. Same amount of water, etc.

Then we get to the corn and I must say I could have been further ahead to plant something else in those squares. I think for next year I will devote an entire box to corn and only plant 2 per square instead of 4. I spoke with an organic farmer yesterday and he suggested that anytime there is a corn plant in a square that is spindly and the rest are normal - yank that one out - consider it a weed. I think he has a point.

Oh well, we live and learn and this year is an exception to the rule for many of us.

greatgranny

Female Posts : 634

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Strange year

Post  plantoid on 7/17/2012, 5:19 am

It most certainly is a weird year weatherwise GG .
I wonder if it is all to do with the sunspot activity and the gravitational changed due to the planets coming into a rough line on my birthday 21 Dec when the Mayans calender stoped being written down ( or did they run out of ink and paper Laughing ).
If it is any of these we may be infor several years of strange weather and difficult crop growing. it is as though we are nerly two and a half month behind in the calender.

It is unheard of to have glasshouse tomatoes barely formed this time of the year in the UK. I only have five that are little bigger than a pea .Though there are twenty odd flowers on my olants that have been there for over two weeks that have not set yet , despite me trying to assist pollenating them every other day .

The strawberries in the barrel in the garden have been producing strawbs for over two months now and only one has even bothered to partially colour up enough to say it's nearly ripe, the rest are solid lumps of bright greenish yellow.

We could be in for a humdinger of a winter as well if the ice reports from the USA are anything to go by for they seem to indicate much colder artic conditions and more ice formation much earlier than usual for this time of the year.

plantoid

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny on 7/17/2012, 10:50 am

@plantoid wrote:It most certainly is a weird year weatherwise GG .
I wonder if it is all to do with the sunspot activity and the gravitational changed due to the planets coming into a rough line on my birthday 21 Dec when the Mayans calender stoped being written down ( or did they run out of ink and paper Laughing ).
If it is any of these we may be infor several years of strange weather and difficult crop growing. it is as though we are nerly two and a half month behind in the calender.

It is unheard of to have glasshouse tomatoes barely formed this time of the year in the UK. I only have five that are little bigger than a pea .Though there are twenty odd flowers on my olants that have been there for over two weeks that have not set yet , despite me trying to assist pollenating them every other day .

The strawberries in the barrel in the garden have been producing strawbs for over two months now and only one has even bothered to partially colour up enough to say it's nearly ripe, the rest are solid lumps of bright greenish yellow.

We could be in for a humdinger of a winter as well if the ice reports from the USA are anything to go by for they seem to indicate much colder artic conditions and more ice formation much earlier than usual for this time of the year.

I believe that none of us is in control of the weather or growing things - I'm a control freak so that is hard for me to admit sometimes. The good Lord is the one who makes the sun to shine and rain to fall... This year He is blessing me with lots of broccoli and green beans for my freezer. I will remember the summer of 2012 when I eat it this winter. I figure any food we get is a blessing. Learning how to use the leftover parts of plants, yard refuse, etc. and putting it back into the soil is a picture of what all of nature is doing without our awareness. That is a miracle.

I so appreciate what Mel's Foundation is doing for those who live in areas where they are either oppressed or have no way to farm other than with primitive tools.

greatgranny

Female Posts : 634

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:45 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum