Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 4:51 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 4:42 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 3:16 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 12:49 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:49 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 11:48 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by CapeCoddess Today at 11:37 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by landarch Today at 9:29 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by llama momma Today at 5:10 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by yolos Today at 12:13 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:27 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

» New Member
by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

good bug/bad bug in compost?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: good bug/bad bug in compost?

Post  CapeCoddess on 9/14/2012, 5:00 pm

I have bugs in my pile. I just take my glasses off and then they are gone. Shocked

CC

CapeCoddess

Posts : 5374
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 60
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good bug/bad bug in compost?

Post  greatgranny on 9/14/2012, 6:05 pm

I have a 44 gallon plastic garbage container that I put the sifted compost in. I noticed that there are quite a few pill bugs on the surface. Would it be wise to add some DH by sprinkling it on the top or should I wait until spring and hope that the subzero temps will kill them?

greatgranny

Female Posts : 634
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Central Minnesota - Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good bug/bad bug in compost?

Post  bnoles on 9/14/2012, 6:18 pm

@floyd1440 wrote:
@CliffU wrote:

But I didn't care for constantly turning the pile so this fall I will load up both bns with lots of leaves, pine needles, grass clippings, etc. and let nature do the hard work over the winter and hopefully have plenty of compost by mid summer. My calculations are 90 cu ft. of material, in two bins, will make 26 cu ft. finished compost.


I would leave the pine needles out of the mix as they take much longer to break down and you will not have it done by your time frame.

bnoles

Male Posts : 804
Join date : 2012-08-16
Location : North GA Mountains Zone 7A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good bug/bad bug in compost?

Post  southern gardener on 9/14/2012, 7:00 pm

@greatgranny wrote:I have a 44 gallon plastic garbage container that I put the sifted compost in. I noticed that there are quite a few pill bugs on the surface. Would it be wise to add some DH by sprinkling it on the top or should I wait until spring and hope that the subzero temps will kill them?

i have 2 barrels of really nice compost, I moved the top around a little the other day, and TONS of those rollie pollies came out...i thought they'd have left, but they only dug down deeper ;(

southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 36
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good bug/bad bug in compost?

Post  camprn on 9/15/2012, 9:22 am

The pill bugs in compost are not a bad thing, they help to continue the breakdown of decaying organic matter.

____________________________

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!


camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: good bug/bad bug in compost?

Post  greatgranny on 9/15/2012, 11:31 am

@camprn wrote:The pill bugs in compost are not a bad thing, they help to continue the breakdown of decaying organic matter.

I understand that part. My concern is about when adding compost to the boxes in the spring. I would not want them in the MM.

greatgranny

Female Posts : 634
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Central Minnesota - Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good bug/bad bug in compost?

Post  southern gardener on 9/15/2012, 11:46 am

@greatgranny wrote:
@camprn wrote:The pill bugs in compost are not a bad thing, they help to continue the breakdown of decaying organic matter.

I understand that part. My concern is about when adding compost to the boxes in the spring. I would not want them in the MM.

GG: that is a valid concern, it's happening here. My finished compost is loaded with pillbugs. What I've been doing is adding the compost to the square, then I've been using Sluggo-Plus. It naturally kills pillbugs, earwigs, slugs and snails, then turns into a fertilizer. At least, that's what they say. It takes a couple of days to work, but it does. It's supposed to be organic too. Those pillbugs and earwigs will mow down your seedlings! I've lost so many squares to those nasty tiny bugs! Now, the birds have decided to come along and pull up my seedlings, and just leave them pale , so back to covering them until they can take a peck or two. I don't know how organic farmers do this on a large scale!! affraid affraid

southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 36
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good bug/bad bug in compost?

Post  RoOsTeR on 9/15/2012, 12:01 pm

Generally speaking, pill bugs live on decomposing organic matter and aren't the culprits of damaged plants. Notice I said generally Very Happy . Most times plant damage is caused by other bugs and blamed on the rollie pollie. My compost usually has lots of pill bugs and I use it and have never paid them much attention. Pill bugs and earwigs usually come from really moist environments. Try cutting the moisture back a bit in your compost pile and see if that helps at all. Personally, unless I was absolutely certain it was pill bugs causing damage, I don't worry about it, but that's just me. In my beds, they seem to do more good than bad.

____________________________


I am my gardens worst enemy.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 3879
Join date : 2011-10-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good bug/bad bug in compost?

Post  camprn on 9/15/2012, 12:03 pm

@RoOsTeR wrote:Generally speaking, pill bugs live on decomposing organic matter and aren't the culprits of damaged plants. Notice I said generally Very Happy . Most times plant damage is caused by other bugs and blamed on the rollie pollie. My compost usually has lots of pill bugs and I use it and have never paid them much attention. Pill bugs and earwigs usually come from really moist environments. Try cutting the moisture back a bit in your compost pile and see if that helps at all. Personally, unless I was absolutely certain it was pill bugs causing damage, I don't worry about it, but that's just me. In my beds, they seem to do more good than bad.
+1

____________________________

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!


camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: good bug/bad bug in compost?

Post  greatgranny on 9/15/2012, 12:27 pm

@RoOsTeR wrote:Generally speaking, pill bugs live on decomposing organic matter and aren't the culprits of damaged plants. Notice I said generally Very Happy . Most times plant damage is caused by other bugs and blamed on the rollie pollie. My compost usually has lots of pill bugs and I use it and have never paid them much attention. Pill bugs and earwigs usually come from really moist environments. Try cutting the moisture back a bit in your compost pile and see if that helps at all. Personally, unless I was absolutely certain it was pill bugs causing damage, I don't worry about it, but that's just me. In my beds, they seem to do more good than bad.

Okay, I will see how it is in the spring and take your word for it and also have some Sluggo-Plus handy just in case. Very cold hard freezing this winter may do a number on them and also, like you said, let it dry out before adding to the squares.

greatgranny

Female Posts : 634
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Central Minnesota - Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good bug/bad bug in compost?

Post  southern gardener on 9/15/2012, 1:12 pm

@greatgranny wrote:
@RoOsTeR wrote:Generally speaking, pill bugs live on decomposing organic matter and aren't the culprits of damaged plants. Notice I said generally Very Happy . Most times plant damage is caused by other bugs and blamed on the rollie pollie. My compost usually has lots of pill bugs and I use it and have never paid them much attention. Pill bugs and earwigs usually come from really moist environments. Try cutting the moisture back a bit in your compost pile and see if that helps at all. Personally, unless I was absolutely certain it was pill bugs causing damage, I don't worry about it, but that's just me. In my beds, they seem to do more good than bad.

Okay, I will see how it is in the spring and take your word for it and also have some Sluggo-Plus handy just in case. Very cold hard freezing this winter may do a number on them and also, like you said, let it dry out before adding to the squares.

Sounds like a good plan. Be sure it's the sluggo plus, the regular sluggo doesn't work on the earwigs and rolliepollies. i went out one night to see what was mowing down my plants, and there were hundreds of earwigs/rollie pollies like lumberjacks plowing everything down! Mostly earwigs, but the rolliepollies were there too, feasting on the young stalks. Once I put down the sluggo plus, they stopped, and I got my seedlings to survive. i didn't do it this last go round, and am now finding the "stumps" again......drat! Re planted and did the sluggo, and there's dead rollie pollies all over, no earwigs tho. It seems like the sluggo really got RID of the earwigs, whereas it only killed the "current" rolliepollies. So, hopefully I'll get my plants up this time. Good luck in whatever you decide to do Smile

southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 36
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good bug/bad bug in compost?

Post  Lindacol on 9/15/2012, 3:45 pm

@southern gardener wrote:Sounds like a good plan. Be sure it's the sluggo plus, the regular sluggo doesn't work on the earwigs and rolliepollies. i went out one night to see what was mowing down my plants, and there were hundreds of earwigs/rollie pollies like lumberjacks plowing everything down! Mostly earwigs, but the rolliepollies were there too, feasting on the young stalks. Once I put down the sluggo plus, they stopped, and I got my seedlings to survive. i didn't do it this last go round, and am now finding the "stumps" again......drat! Re planted and did the sluggo, and there's dead rollie pollies all over, no earwigs tho. It seems like the sluggo really got RID of the earwigs, whereas it only killed the "current" rolliepollies. So, hopefully I'll get my plants up this time. Good luck in whatever you decide to do Smile



SG did you get the sluggo plus locally or order on line? I am also in southern CA and have not found it on the shelves anywhere.

Lindacol

Posts : 777
Join date : 2011-01-23
Location : Bloomington, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good bug/bad bug in compost?

Post  southern gardener on 9/15/2012, 6:17 pm

@Lindacol wrote:
@southern gardener wrote:Sounds like a good plan. Be sure it's the sluggo plus, the regular sluggo doesn't work on the earwigs and rolliepollies. i went out one night to see what was mowing down my plants, and there were hundreds of earwigs/rollie pollies like lumberjacks plowing everything down! Mostly earwigs, but the rolliepollies were there too, feasting on the young stalks. Once I put down the sluggo plus, they stopped, and I got my seedlings to survive. i didn't do it this last go round, and am now finding the "stumps" again......drat! Re planted and did the sluggo, and there's dead rollie pollies all over, no earwigs tho. It seems like the sluggo really got RID of the earwigs, whereas it only killed the "current" rolliepollies. So, hopefully I'll get my plants up this time. Good luck in whatever you decide to do Smile



SG did you get the sluggo plus locally or order on line? I am also in southern CA and have not found it on the shelves anywhere.

Lindacol: I got it at our local "Ag Rx" place. We live in a very agricultural area and this place provides the "real farmers" with stuff for their fields. I saw the regular Sluggo at Home Depot, but not the "+". I hope you can find it.

southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 36
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good bug/bad bug in compost?

Post  floyd1440 on 9/16/2012, 8:09 pm

"I would leave the pine needles out of the mix as they take much longer to break down and you will not have it done by your time frame"

Last spring I was searching for browns for my first pile and had lots of pine needles but didn't know they took so long to break down so plan on cutting back but do wonder how long they take to break down using mother nature?

floyd1440

Male Posts : 795
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 62
Location : Washington, Pa. Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good bug/bad bug in compost?

Post  CliffU on 9/25/2012, 4:04 am

Just a quick follow up from my previous post. Made a sifter with screen and 2x4 frame. Sifted out the grubs, and any larger debris went back into the composter (not much). I had a larger than usual cardboard packing box that had a good surface area to sift into.

The box was left in the sun (extremely hot for a couple days), away from the garden area. After a couple days in the sun, no earwigs, no pill bugs, just a few worms that survived. Not sure if the bugs just dried up, or crawled out at night, but no longer in the compost. It was hard to believe that all those bugs just disappeared.

Thanks for the tips.

CliffU

Posts : 3
Join date : 2012-09-12
Location : Long Beach, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good bug/bad bug in compost?

Post  southern gardener on 9/26/2012, 10:59 am

@CliffU wrote:Just a quick follow up from my previous post. Made a sifter with screen and 2x4 frame. Sifted out the grubs, and any larger debris went back into the composter (not much). I had a larger than usual cardboard packing box that had a good surface area to sift into.

The box was left in the sun (extremely hot for a couple days), away from the garden area. After a couple days in the sun, no earwigs, no pill bugs, just a few worms that survived. Not sure if the bugs just dried up, or crawled out at night, but no longer in the compost. It was hard to believe that all those bugs just disappeared.

Thanks for the tips.

nice! i understand rollie pollies can't dry out or they die, so i suspect with that hot temp, they moved on! good job!

southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 36
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good bug/bad bug in compost?

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:11 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum