Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» has55's R & D Journey
by has55 Today at 9:02 am

» Newspapers vs Weed Cloth
by Saazhops Today at 8:48 am

» What is this? Plant identification?
by sanderson Today at 3:57 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:52 am

» Weight Watchers Turkey, Bean and Vegetable Chili
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:30 pm

» Appetizer Recipes by SQWIB
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:19 pm

» Meat Lover's Recipes by SQWIB
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:18 pm

» Too Many Red Wiggler Worms in Raised Beds??
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:13 pm

» SUGA 2017
by SQWIB Yesterday at 4:55 pm

» My first Attempt
by 21Actual Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Biochar?
by SQWIB Yesterday at 3:24 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:19 pm

» Spring Fever Anyone?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:37 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in January 2018
by Kelejan Yesterday at 2:36 pm

» 2018 - First Annual Seed Exchange Week - January 20-28 (Edited)
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:23 pm

» Is there ever enough compost?
by Kelejan Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» Areogardening
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:38 am

» January 2018 Avatar: Surprise Us
by sanderson 1/21/2018, 4:51 pm

» My Shreveport Garden 2018
by sanderson 1/21/2018, 4:47 pm

» Are vegetables hurt by too much light?
by BeetlesPerSqFt 1/20/2018, 8:38 am

» Seed Starting!!
by brianj555 1/19/2018, 9:14 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by sanderson 1/19/2018, 2:56 pm

» Sow True Seeds
by AtlantaMarie 1/19/2018, 8:00 am

» Colored Mulch
by No_Such_Reality 1/18/2018, 7:12 pm

» Taking on 4 Season Gardening
by Roseinarosecity 1/18/2018, 5:19 pm

» Fourth Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 1/18/2018, 3:53 pm

» Butternut squash, turkey Italian sausage, cannelini bean soup
by yolos 1/17/2018, 9:25 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by yolos 1/17/2018, 9:12 pm

» N&C Midwest—January 2018!!!
by Scorpio Rising 1/17/2018, 7:08 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 1/16/2018, 9:10 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Drought + leach bed = compost

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Drought + leach bed = compost

Post  llama momma on 7/23/2012, 1:47 pm

Just a reminder that even in this drought those of us with a leach bed can get some grass clippings for the compost heap.
Two rows were mowed here:

Moved onto the tarp it was 2-1/2 to 3 inches deep. It should dry in a couple days and get turned over a couple times. Then it'll be ready for the compost heap.


avatar
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4856
Join date : 2010-08-20
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Drought + leach bed = compost

Post  Triciasgarden on 7/23/2012, 2:13 pm

I have a question, why would you dry the grass before putting it in the compost pile?
avatar
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1632
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 62
Location : Northern Utah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Drought + leach bed = compost

Post  Kelejan on 7/23/2012, 2:17 pm

@Triciasgarden wrote:I have a question, why would you dry the grass before putting it in the compost pile?

Quick, someone answer this, please. I should know but I have forgotten why I do it myself.

While I think of it, I have access to organic grass clippings and I want to save them for the fall by drying rhwm. My question is: is it still a green, as I want to add them to my fall leaves. Very Happy
avatar
Kelejan

Female Posts : 5043
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 82
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: Drought + leach bed = compost

Post  llama momma on 7/23/2012, 2:22 pm

You dry it first to prevent it from turning into a moist slimy anaerobic mess.
avatar
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4856
Join date : 2010-08-20
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Drought + leach bed = compost

Post  llama momma on 7/23/2012, 2:39 pm

@Kelejan wrote:
@Triciasgarden wrote:I have a question, why would you dry the grass before putting it in the compost pile?

Quick, someone answer this, please. I should know but I have forgotten why I do it myself.

While I think of it, I have access to organic grass clippings and I want to save them for the fall by drying rhwm. My question is: is it still a green, as I want to add them to my fall leaves. Very Happy

Grass is considered a high nitrogen and leaves are considered a high carbohydrate.
My compost book says, .."dry the grass first, mound the dry clippings together and cover the pile with a waterproof tarp or other rain resistant cover. You can store dried clippings in a cardboard box or plastic garbage bag kept in a dry place. Dried clipping don't pack down and turn slimy the way fresh ones do, and they retain their nutrients in concentrated form. Be sure to add enough water to rehydrate the dried clipping when using them in your composting projects." I copied this out of the book, "The Complete Compost Gardening Guide" by Pleasant and Martin. Great book if you are interested in owning a copy, its about 20 dollars.
avatar
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4856
Join date : 2010-08-20
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Drought + leach bed = compost

Post  Kelejan on 7/23/2012, 2:48 pm

Thank you so much, llama momma. So I am on the right track.
I generally bag at least thirty bags of leaves each fall, so now I can get a good start by drying the grass and any other greens ready to add to them so that they can compost all winter.
I should imagine that drying leaves such as cabbage etc. will be the same as drying grass.
avatar
Kelejan

Female Posts : 5043
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 82
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: Drought + leach bed = compost

Post  llama momma on 7/23/2012, 2:56 pm

I don't know about drying cabbage leaves.
I lay most of the larger stuff like that in front of the compost heap, take my shovel and chop away till I'm bored then toss it in. Now someone was just writing a post saying to keep cabbage or broccoli out of the compost heap to prevent club root later on. I haven't done that with my broccoli in the past it all went back in the compost. Sorry to confused the issue .... Embarassed
avatar
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4856
Join date : 2010-08-20
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Drought + leach bed = compost

Post  Triciasgarden on 7/23/2012, 5:25 pm

@llama momma wrote:
@Kelejan wrote:
@Triciasgarden wrote:I have a question, why would you dry the grass before putting it in the compost pile?

Quick, someone answer this, please. I should know but I have forgotten why I do it myself.

While I think of it, I have access to organic grass clippings and I want to save them for the fall by drying rhwm. My question is: is it still a green, as I want to add them to my fall leaves. Very Happy

Grass is considered a high nitrogen and leaves are considered a high carbohydrate.
My compost book says, .."dry the grass first, mound the dry clippings together and cover the pile with a waterproof tarp or other rain resistant cover. You can store dried clippings in a cardboard box or plastic garbage bag kept in a dry place. Dried clipping don't pack down and turn slimy the way fresh ones do, and they retain their nutrients in concentrated form. Be sure to add enough water to rehydrate the dried clipping when using them in your composting projects." I copied this out of the book, "The Complete Compost Gardening Guide" by Pleasant and Martin. Great book if you are interested in owning a copy, its about 20 dollars.

thanks Oh I hadn't thought about getting a book about composting, duh! Then I could learn a lot on something I don't know much about! silly me
avatar
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1632
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 62
Location : Northern Utah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Drought + leach bed = compost

Post  camprn on 7/23/2012, 6:29 pm

@Triciasgarden wrote:

thanks Oh I hadn't thought about getting a book about composting, duh! Then I could learn a lot on something I don't know much about! silly me
Tricia, until you get a book, this will keep you busy. Wink
http://compost.css.cornell.edu/

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Drought + leach bed = compost

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum