Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Gardening Australia
by IrishDigger Today at 3:07 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing January 2017
by Kelejan Today at 12:33 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:37 pm

» N & C Midwest: January 2017!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:35 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:23 pm

» 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC
by ralitaco Yesterday at 10:28 pm

» Friday Rookie Topic X: Marigolds
by MeghanSTL Yesterday at 9:12 pm

» Feedback for my 2017 garden plan
by MeghanSTL Yesterday at 7:28 pm

» How much to plant?
by camprn Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» Winter Rye Grass
by camprn Yesterday at 6:31 pm

» Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 6:10 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by Turan Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» Crop Rotation Involving Nightshades
by Turan Yesterday at 4:23 pm

» Show us your kitchen compost container
by Zmoore Yesterday at 4:00 pm

» Sad News from Jimmy Cee
by Turan Yesterday at 1:04 pm

» Some of our recipes
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 12:51 pm

» Hola from Southern Ecuador
by Cats Yesterday at 11:51 am

» Cover Crops??
by camprn Yesterday at 11:20 am

» Crop rotation
by camprn Yesterday at 10:55 am

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 10:03 am

» Anyone want walking onions??
by RoOsTeR Yesterday at 7:43 am

» My rapini is scaring me
by Scorpio Rising 1/15/2017, 10:42 pm

» Creamy Basil Pesto
by MeghanSTL 1/15/2017, 10:35 pm

» who has chickens
by countrynaturals 1/15/2017, 9:05 pm

» Zera (TM) Food Recycler - kitchen composting
by Scorpio Rising 1/15/2017, 8:04 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 1/15/2017, 1:35 pm

» "Virtual" Roadtrip of the Desert and Old West
by countrynaturals 1/15/2017, 11:39 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 1/15/2017, 11:33 am

» What I learned this year
by countrynaturals 1/15/2017, 11:32 am

» Mustard recipe
by llama momma 1/15/2017, 8:24 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

MM for indoor plants

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MM for indoor plants

Post  greatgranny on 7/29/2012, 11:16 pm

I have many house plants. Right now they are looking pretty neglected - well, I'm outdoors most of the time. tongue

Anyway, I've always used the bagged planting soil for them and I truly hate it. It gets crusty on the top and has to be changed quite often. How would it work to use MM instead? Just considering it.

greatgranny

Female Posts : 634
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Central Minnesota - Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MM for indoor plants

Post  Triciasgarden on 7/30/2012, 1:06 am

That's funny greatgranny I was just thinking about that a few hours ago because of how good of soil it is! I was also thinking how some people will put a worm in a house plant pot and wondering what to feed it. I would think MM would be so much better than the bagged stuff! I have lots of house plants and began growing them many years ago when I lived in apartments. I think we should try and see!

Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 61
Location : Northern Utah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MM for indoor plants

Post  greatgranny on 7/30/2012, 11:57 am

Think I may try it when I replant my amaryllis in the fall. Stop me if this is not going to work. If it does work, all of my plants, including a huge ficus tree will all get a new batch.

I can see it now - dirt all over the floor and me sitting in the middle of it playing in the dirt like my great grandson. Oh what the heck, we're never to old to have a happy childhood. Wink

greatgranny

Female Posts : 634
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Central Minnesota - Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MM for indoor plants

Post  CapeCoddess on 7/30/2012, 12:09 pm

I can't believe this was the first topic when I logged in just now. Shocked Mom and I were just discussing changing our house plants over to MM this morning. I guess we'll try one or 2 w/ MM & see how they do.

CC

CapeCoddess

Posts : 5435
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 60
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MM for indoor plants

Post  littlesapphire on 7/30/2012, 1:31 pm

I've tried using MM in two potted plants, one a flower and one a house plant. My conclusion was, it's a great mix only if you can keep it hydrated. Unfortunately the mix would dry out so fast that I had trouble keeping the plants watered, and almost killed the houseplant a couple of times. Usually I would water my house plants once a week, but the one in MM needed it a few times a week.

I accidentally bought medium grade vermiculite last year, but because it was the only verm I could find, I used it anyway to make MM. I've actually found that the MM made with the medium verm stays hydrated longer than the MM with coarse verm. It's not quite as fluffy, but it's still very good. Anyway, my point is that maybe for potted plants, medium verm would work much better than coarse.

littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826
Join date : 2010-04-08
Age : 32
Location : Jamestown, NY (Zone 5a)

View user profile http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Re: MM for indoor plants

Post  greatgranny on 7/30/2012, 2:49 pm

@littlesapphire wrote:I've tried using MM in two potted plants, one a flower and one a house plant. My conclusion was, it's a great mix only if you can keep it hydrated. Unfortunately the mix would dry out so fast that I had trouble keeping the plants watered, and almost killed the houseplant a couple of times. Usually I would water my house plants once a week, but the one in MM needed it a few times a week.

I accidentally bought medium grade vermiculite last year, but because it was the only verm I could find, I used it anyway to make MM. I've actually found that the MM made with the medium verm stays hydrated longer than the MM with coarse verm. It's not quite as fluffy, but it's still very good. Anyway, my point is that maybe for potted plants, medium verm would work much better than coarse.

I have some medium verm also. I will try it. I think that I may take the less heavy pots outdoors when the sun is not drilling me and the plant into the ground and attempt it. I have some self-watering spikes for indoors. I'll give it a go and hope for the best.

greatgranny

Female Posts : 634
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Central Minnesota - Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MM for indoor plants

Post  plantoid on 7/30/2012, 6:57 pm

@greatgranny wrote:I have many house plants. Right now they are looking pretty neglected - well, I'm outdoors most of the time. tongue

Anyway, I've always used the bagged planting soil for them and I truly hate it. It gets crusty on the top and has to be changed quite often. How would it work to use MM instead? Just considering it.

GG ,
I'd caution against using MM indoors for it usually is also a good breeding ground for " ORRIBLE " tiny black biting insects that only seem to come out at night and bite the day lights out of you as you sleep "
The flies live & dine in/on the manure elements of the MM and don't seem to get killed off by hot composting .. I found out the hard way earlier this year.

The next batch off MM potting will have several kettles of boiling water poured in it whilst it is sat in a 4 gallon galvanized steel bucket to try and kill off the little blighters , but I suspect it will only be a temporary solution.

plantoid

Male Posts : 3652
Join date : 2011-11-09
Age : 66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MM for indoor plants

Post  Ericka2385 on 7/30/2012, 7:34 pm

I use a pseudo MM for my houseplants... I mix the vermiculite and peat moss into a bagged gardening soil. I never really liked how the bagged potting soil felt in my hands, so I never used it. I had some left over garden soil from another project that I ammended, and so far so good. It wasn't the same 1/3 ratio, i think it was about 1/2 garden soil and 1/4 each of the vermiculite and peat moss.

I had no idea about "ORRIBLE", I wanted to put pseudo MM in the pots, but was out of my mix of bagged compost after building my beds, and my own compost wasn't ready yet. Looks like I lucked out there...

Just and idea... something to try...

Ericka2385

Posts : 58
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Central Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MM for indoor plants

Post  greatgranny on 7/30/2012, 7:36 pm

@plantoid wrote:
@greatgranny wrote:I have many house plants. Right now they are looking pretty neglected - well, I'm outdoors most of the time. tongue

Anyway, I've always used the bagged planting soil for them and I truly hate it. It gets crusty on the top and has to be changed quite often. How would it work to use MM instead? Just considering it.

GG ,
I'd caution against using MM indoors for it usually is also a good breeding ground for " ORRIBLE " tiny black biting insects that only seem to come out at night and bite the day lights out of you as you sleep "
The flies live & dine in/on the manure elements of the MM and don't seem to get killed off by hot composting .. I found out the hard way earlier this year.

The next batch off MM potting will have several kettles of boiling water poured in it whilst it is sat in a 4 gallon galvanized steel bucket to try and kill off the little blighters , but I suspect it will only be a temporary solution.

So, you are saying that because some of us have manure in our MM we should not use this? Okay, what if I use a compost that doesn't have any animal waste? Would that be all right? What about worm castings? What about blood meal?

greatgranny

Female Posts : 634
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Central Minnesota - Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MM for indoor plants

Post  littlejo on 7/30/2012, 8:57 pm

I raise African Violets and the soil mixture I've used is 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 worm castings. My violets absolutely love it. No bugs seen. They are outside on the porch, out of the sun. Most of them are blooming!! I say go for it!
For the bugs, take some peat and vermculite, mix together and use as a mulch, this should keep the bugs away.
Jo

littlejo

Female Posts : 1530
Join date : 2011-05-04
Age : 63
Location : Cottageville SC 8b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MM for indoor plants

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:59 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum