Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:53 am

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising Today at 12:35 am

» Winter Reading, Anyone?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Sprouted Onion Question
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:11 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:07 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:00 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:58 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 5:49 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by plantoid Yesterday at 5:47 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 5:05 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 4:56 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by llama momma Yesterday at 2:16 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by llama momma Yesterday at 1:59 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by Ginger Blue Yesterday at 1:57 pm

by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:24 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 12/9/2016, 9:29 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson 12/9/2016, 12:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie 12/9/2016, 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson 12/9/2016, 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

MM for indoor plants

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MM for indoor plants

Post  greatgranny on 7/29/2012, 11:16 pm

I have many house plants. Right now they are looking pretty neglected - well, I'm outdoors most of the time. tongue

Anyway, I've always used the bagged planting soil for them and I truly hate it. It gets crusty on the top and has to be changed quite often. How would it work to use MM instead? Just considering it.

greatgranny

Female Posts : 634

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MM for indoor plants

Post  Triciasgarden on 7/30/2012, 1:06 am

That's funny greatgranny I was just thinking about that a few hours ago because of how good of soil it is! I was also thinking how some people will put a worm in a house plant pot and wondering what to feed it. I would think MM would be so much better than the bagged stuff! I have lots of house plants and began growing them many years ago when I lived in apartments. I think we should try and see!

Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny on 7/30/2012, 11:57 am

Think I may try it when I replant my amaryllis in the fall. Stop me if this is not going to work. If it does work, all of my plants, including a huge ficus tree will all get a new batch.

I can see it now - dirt all over the floor and me sitting in the middle of it playing in the dirt like my great grandson. Oh what the heck, we're never to old to have a happy childhood. Wink

greatgranny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 7/30/2012, 12:09 pm

I can't believe this was the first topic when I logged in just now. Shocked Mom and I were just discussing changing our house plants over to MM this morning. I guess we'll try one or 2 w/ MM & see how they do.

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire on 7/30/2012, 1:31 pm

I've tried using MM in two potted plants, one a flower and one a house plant. My conclusion was, it's a great mix only if you can keep it hydrated. Unfortunately the mix would dry out so fast that I had trouble keeping the plants watered, and almost killed the houseplant a couple of times. Usually I would water my house plants once a week, but the one in MM needed it a few times a week.

I accidentally bought medium grade vermiculite last year, but because it was the only verm I could find, I used it anyway to make MM. I've actually found that the MM made with the medium verm stays hydrated longer than the MM with coarse verm. It's not quite as fluffy, but it's still very good. Anyway, my point is that maybe for potted plants, medium verm would work much better than coarse.

littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

View user profile http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny on 7/30/2012, 2:49 pm

@littlesapphire wrote:I've tried using MM in two potted plants, one a flower and one a house plant. My conclusion was, it's a great mix only if you can keep it hydrated. Unfortunately the mix would dry out so fast that I had trouble keeping the plants watered, and almost killed the houseplant a couple of times. Usually I would water my house plants once a week, but the one in MM needed it a few times a week.

I accidentally bought medium grade vermiculite last year, but because it was the only verm I could find, I used it anyway to make MM. I've actually found that the MM made with the medium verm stays hydrated longer than the MM with coarse verm. It's not quite as fluffy, but it's still very good. Anyway, my point is that maybe for potted plants, medium verm would work much better than coarse.

I have some medium verm also. I will try it. I think that I may take the less heavy pots outdoors when the sun is not drilling me and the plant into the ground and attempt it. I have some self-watering spikes for indoors. I'll give it a go and hope for the best.

greatgranny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 7/30/2012, 6:57 pm

@greatgranny wrote:I have many house plants. Right now they are looking pretty neglected - well, I'm outdoors most of the time. tongue

Anyway, I've always used the bagged planting soil for them and I truly hate it. It gets crusty on the top and has to be changed quite often. How would it work to use MM instead? Just considering it.

GG ,
I'd caution against using MM indoors for it usually is also a good breeding ground for " ORRIBLE " tiny black biting insects that only seem to come out at night and bite the day lights out of you as you sleep "
The flies live & dine in/on the manure elements of the MM and don't seem to get killed off by hot composting .. I found out the hard way earlier this year.

The next batch off MM potting will have several kettles of boiling water poured in it whilst it is sat in a 4 gallon galvanized steel bucket to try and kill off the little blighters , but I suspect it will only be a temporary solution.

plantoid

Male Posts : 3638

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ericka2385 on 7/30/2012, 7:34 pm

I use a pseudo MM for my houseplants... I mix the vermiculite and peat moss into a bagged gardening soil. I never really liked how the bagged potting soil felt in my hands, so I never used it. I had some left over garden soil from another project that I ammended, and so far so good. It wasn't the same 1/3 ratio, i think it was about 1/2 garden soil and 1/4 each of the vermiculite and peat moss.

I had no idea about "ORRIBLE", I wanted to put pseudo MM in the pots, but was out of my mix of bagged compost after building my beds, and my own compost wasn't ready yet. Looks like I lucked out there...

Just and idea... something to try...

Ericka2385

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny on 7/30/2012, 7:36 pm

@plantoid wrote:
@greatgranny wrote:I have many house plants. Right now they are looking pretty neglected - well, I'm outdoors most of the time. tongue

GG ,
I'd caution against using MM indoors for it usually is also a good breeding ground for " ORRIBLE " tiny black biting insects that only seem to come out at night and bite the day lights out of you as you sleep "
The flies live & dine in/on the manure elements of the MM and don't seem to get killed off by hot composting .. I found out the hard way earlier this year.

The next batch off MM potting will have several kettles of boiling water poured in it whilst it is sat in a 4 gallon galvanized steel bucket to try and kill off the little blighters , but I suspect it will only be a temporary solution.

So, you are saying that because some of us have manure in our MM we should not use this? Okay, what if I use a compost that doesn't have any animal waste? Would that be all right? What about worm castings? What about blood meal?

greatgranny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo on 7/30/2012, 8:57 pm

I raise African Violets and the soil mixture I've used is 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 worm castings. My violets absolutely love it. No bugs seen. They are outside on the porch, out of the sun. Most of them are blooming!! I say go for it!
For the bugs, take some peat and vermculite, mix together and use as a mulch, this should keep the bugs away.
Jo

littlejo

Female Posts : 1528

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:49 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum