Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Today's Harvest
by trolleydriver Today at 2:00 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 1:58 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by trolleydriver Today at 1:56 pm

» Flavor bomb cubes for veggies and...
by hammock gal Today at 12:35 pm

» New England September 2017
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:17 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by CapeCoddess Today at 10:55 am

» Bug/Pest Identification....Help!
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 9:32 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver Today at 9:02 am

» Roasted butternut squash soup
by trolleydriver Today at 8:49 am

» Frankensquash
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 10:20 pm

» What I learned this year
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:41 pm

» Compost Heaps
by brianj555 Yesterday at 5:09 pm

» Fall Garden?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-(
by brianj555 Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Hello from NE OHIO
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 3:19 pm

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by hammock gal Yesterday at 8:59 am

» Happy Autumn Equinox
by brianj555 9/23/2017, 11:24 am

» Amaranth
by AtlantaMarie 9/23/2017, 8:44 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by trolleydriver 9/23/2017, 7:25 am

» N&C Midwest - September 2017
by Scorpio Rising 9/21/2017, 7:56 pm

» Spotted Lanternfly: invasive pest "new" to the US
by sanderson 9/21/2017, 1:41 pm

» First red kidney bean harvest....now what?
by AtlantaMarie 9/21/2017, 6:28 am

» question about Garlic and winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/20/2017, 6:38 pm

» Ginger
by has55 9/20/2017, 2:38 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2017
by Kelejan 9/20/2017, 2:29 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by AtlantaMarie 9/20/2017, 9:08 am

» harvesting wood chips
by Kelejan 9/19/2017, 9:55 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2017
by brianj555 9/19/2017, 7:18 pm

» leeks again
by donnainzone5 9/19/2017, 12:17 pm

» WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins
by has55 9/19/2017, 9:03 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  gregrenee88 on 8/4/2012, 4:04 pm

darci.strutt wrote:Hopefully my avatar updated! I struggle with such things some days. The garden has been wonderful this first year!! I'm loving it!

Very pretty! I'm guessing you have trouble with deer due to the fence?
Renee
avatar
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280
Join date : 2012-04-23
Age : 50
Location : Sharpsburg, Md. Zone 6B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  CapeCoddess on 8/4/2012, 6:10 pm

Boz, good for you! I can't get spinach to grow right now to save my soul. What zone are you in?

Darci, lots of footage in that pretty garden. What's growing in there?

CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6425
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  darci.strutt on 8/4/2012, 10:39 pm

We have deer and rabbits! The fence is a must. The deer mesh is nearly invisible so it doesn't hinder the view of the veggies - LOVE that! I anchored it with cinder block planted with flowers on the sides, and flower beds in front, and enjoy them too.

We've eaten well this first year - spinach, lettuce, swiss chard, radish, peas, beet, carrot, kohlrabi, turnip (though only enjoyed the leaves since the root didn't form for me), rutabaga, cilantro, basil, zucchini, tomato, beans - and hopefully soon...cucumber, peppers, acorn squash, parsnip, and some sunflower seeds. I have seeds to plant for a fall crop of spinach, lettuce, kale, arugula, and more radish. Next year I'm planning to plant more leaf crops in the spring since we didn't have enough. And just maybe cut back on the zucchini which did VERY well this year...
avatar
darci.strutt

Female Posts : 95
Join date : 2012-05-01
Location : Hudson, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  southern gardener on 8/5/2012, 12:07 am

darci.strutt wrote:We have deer and rabbits! The fence is a must. The deer mesh is nearly invisible so it doesn't hinder the view of the veggies - LOVE that! I anchored it with cinder block planted with flowers on the sides, and flower beds in front, and enjoy them too.

We've eaten well this first year - spinach, lettuce, swiss chard, radish, peas, beet, carrot, kohlrabi, turnip (though only enjoyed the leaves since the root didn't form for me), rutabaga, cilantro, basil, zucchini, tomato, beans - and hopefully soon...cucumber, peppers, acorn squash, parsnip, and some sunflower seeds. I have seeds to plant for a fall crop of spinach, lettuce, kale, arugula, and more radish. Next year I'm planning to plant more leaf crops in the spring since we didn't have enough. And just maybe cut back on the zucchini which did VERY well this year...
wow! congrats on a nice season!! cheers cheers
avatar
southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 37
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  Boz on 8/5/2012, 12:35 am

CC
I don't have spinach growing I just planted a fall crop. I have been using beet tops and Swiss Chard for my greens during the heat of the summer.
Your garden looks like it is doing good.
avatar
Boz

Male Posts : 109
Join date : 2011-11-20
Location : Loveland, Colorado zone 5a

View user profile http://lovelandwormery.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  ericam on 8/5/2012, 3:43 am

Everyone's gardens are looking great, puts my little garden to shame! Laughing



Can't get it as my avatar whilst I'm on the iPad, but thought I'd share anyway. Smile

Big space at the back of the closest bed was my mandarin tree but it died so I pulled it out today and move the pansies and strawberries that were there as well. Just need to get some more tomato stakes for a new grid and 6 more squares, here I come!
avatar
ericam

Female Posts : 283
Join date : 2012-01-27
Age : 40
Location : Grenfell, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  gregrenee88 on 8/5/2012, 1:28 pm

ericam wrote:Everyone's gardens are looking great, puts my little garden to shame! Laughing



Can't get it as my avatar whilst I'm on the iPad, but thought I'd share anyway. Smile

Big space at the back of the closest bed was my mandarin tree but it died so I pulled it out today and move the pansies and strawberries that were there as well. Just need to get some more tomato stakes for a new grid and 6 more squares, here I come!

It looks great! Since you are in the southern hemisphere you are in the middle of your cold season. I see you are growing stawberries...how cold do your nights get? Do you ever get any snow? I've never been to Australia but it is neat talking to someone who is just starting their gardening season when we are over half way through ours.
Renee What a Face


Last edited by gregrenee88 on 8/5/2012, 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : reword)
avatar
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280
Join date : 2012-04-23
Age : 50
Location : Sharpsburg, Md. Zone 6B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  ericam on 8/5/2012, 6:00 pm

Thanks Renee, no snow here, don't even get frosts at my house as I'm on one of the higher parts of the suburb. We do get the occasional frost down the hill but in the 12 years I've been at my house I think I've only seen 1-2 frosts in my yard.

The closest place that gets snow is the Blue Mountains (about 1 1/2 hours drive from me) but that is only occasionally.

Night time temps get down to around 3-4C (37F) on average. Daytime maximum is around 15C (59F), 20C (68F) if it's a warm day.
avatar
ericam

Female Posts : 283
Join date : 2012-01-27
Age : 40
Location : Grenfell, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  llama momma on 8/5/2012, 6:05 pm

This is my first ever Mortgage Lifter. To me it is a monster. Bigger than my hand. The 2nd picture shows the "U" shape even better.

avatar
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4845
Join date : 2010-08-20
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  littlesapphire on 8/5/2012, 6:10 pm

Wow, that thing is a monster! I just read the other day that they can get to be four pounds but I thought it was an exaggeration. I guess I was wrong!
avatar
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826
Join date : 2010-04-08
Age : 33
Location : Jamestown, NY (Zone 5a)

View user profile http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  llama momma on 8/5/2012, 6:33 pm

After you replied I had to cut it up to fit the pieces on my little wt. watcher scale which only goes up to 1 pound. It was 21 oz. and just under 5 inches long - not a prize winner, still the biggest one for this 2 year newbie Very Happy
avatar
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4845
Join date : 2010-08-20
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  southern gardener on 8/5/2012, 6:39 pm

What a Face What a Face wow!! congrats!!
avatar
southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 37
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  Josh on 8/5/2012, 7:13 pm

llama momma wrote:This is my first ever Mortgage Lifter. To me it is a monster. Bigger than my hand. The 2nd picture shows the "U" shape even better.


WOW cheers Be sure to put it in the BIG STUFF photo album, no one has any tomatoes in there yet...it might be a winner!!!
avatar
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 741
Join date : 2010-03-05
Age : 22
Location : Illinois zone 6

View user profile http://greenesgardenthings.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  camprn on 8/5/2012, 7:18 pm

Josh wrote:
llama momma wrote:This is my first ever Mortgage Lifter. To me it is a monster. Bigger than my hand. The 2nd picture shows the "U" shape even better.


WOW cheers Be sure to put it in the BIG STUFF photo album, no one has any tomatoes in there yet...it might be a winner!!!
I have to try the mortgage lifter next year. That surely is a beautiful tomato!!

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  llama momma on 8/5/2012, 7:21 pm

Ok Josh, I'll put it in there as a starting point for other contributers Smile

Thanks camprn!
avatar
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4845
Join date : 2010-08-20
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  CapeCoddess on 8/6/2012, 11:55 am

Holey moley! Nice!

What I can't figure out is how come you have a ginormous red mater in zone 6, and I can't even get my cherrys to turn from green in zone 6....?

CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6425
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  camprn on 8/6/2012, 12:23 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Holey moley! Nice!

What I can't figure out is how come you have a ginormous red mater in zone 6, and I can't even get my cherrys to turn from green in zone 6....?

CC
USDA Hardiness zones refer to temperature extremes only, not growing conditions. To answer your question, find out the Growing Degree Days for your area. The link is to a calculator that will give your local information.

The old saying'to everything there is a season' speaks to this. You both may be in zone 6 but he may have more consistent heat over the course of days or weeks than you do at your location, which will make his tomatoes ripen faster.


:scratch: study

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  CapeCoddess on 8/6/2012, 12:40 pm

Camp, I don't understand that calculator. If I put in 02645, what temp do I use and why? Also, it seems I'd use 2011 & 2010 to get the avg of ....what...I don't know.

If I use 70 degrees, it says
Growing Degree
Days (GDD):
2011 = 236.0 GDD
2010 = 298.5 GDD
Average** = 0.0 GDD

I have no idea what this means...that I have zero days at 70???
Feeling pretty dense right about now. Embarassed

CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6425
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  llama momma on 8/6/2012, 3:18 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Holey moley! Nice!

What I can't figure out is how come you have a ginormous red mater in zone 6, and I can't even get my cherrys to turn from green in zone 6....?

CC

CC -- Maybe 13 + hours of sunlight forces them to turn big and red? Used extra compost, llama tea, and eggshells, or maybe its plain old beginners luck in addition to camprn's input. :scratch:
avatar
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4845
Join date : 2010-08-20
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  gwennifer on 8/6/2012, 3:24 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Camp, I don't understand that calculator.

Camprn beat me to the punch - I was going to offer to explain the differences in growing seasons for different locations the same way. (Thanks to boffer for clueing me into GDD's!)

Here's the short answer: First, let's call them growing degree units, or heat units instead of growing degree days. It's much less confusing since more than one unit can accumulate per day. More than one day per day just doesn't make sense!

Second, all plants have a base temperature below which they do not grow. Simplistically, this is 40 degrees for cool season plants and 50 degrees for warm season plants. Tomatoes are a warm season plant, so lets use 50 degrees as the base. So any time the temperature is above fifty, the tomato plant can grow (assuming all other needs are met). The more heat units the plant gets, the more it grows. And remember, more than one heat unit can accumulate per day.

Let's assume all things are equal and do a comparison between you and llama momma. We'll say you both planted identical tomato plants on May 1st. Using the calculator, select 50 degrees as a baseline and a date range from May 1st of this year to yesterday, August 5th. Plug in your zipcode first, and use the same date range and baseline temp with zipcode 43102 for llama momma in Amanda, Ohio. Here's what we get:

zip code 43102: 2171.5 GDD's
zip code 02645: 1499.5 GDD's

So llama mommas tomatoes have been able to soak up 672 more heat units then your tomatoes. Nearly 45% more! Very simply speaking, her tomatoes are 45% further along then yours. Makes sense then, that she would have ripe tomatoes before you, right?

I hope that helps!
avatar
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1413
Join date : 2011-05-11
Location : Vancouver, WA

View user profile http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  camprn on 8/6/2012, 3:42 pm

+1 the base temp indicates growth, or cell division within the plant. I know the GDD can be tough to wrap ones brain around but keep mulling it over and it will eventually make sense. Very Happy


Last edited by camprn on 8/6/2012, 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  CapeCoddess on 8/6/2012, 4:05 pm

Wow Gwennifer! That was amazing! I totally get it!
Thanks so much.

Now, what about the other end of the temp spectrum? Like I read in the Mother Earth News link that maters stop growing around 90 degrees to kick into survival mode. Is there a calculator for that?

CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6425
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  littlesapphire on 8/6/2012, 4:09 pm

Gwennifer, thank you for that explanation! GDDs have stumped me for a long time, but your simple explanation has really helped me as well Very Happy
avatar
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826
Join date : 2010-04-08
Age : 33
Location : Jamestown, NY (Zone 5a)

View user profile http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  camprn on 8/6/2012, 4:13 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Wow Gwennifer! That was amazing! I totally get it!
Thanks so much.

Now, what about the other end of the temp spectrum? Like I read in the Mother Earth News link that maters stop growing around 90 degrees to kick into survival mode. Is there a calculator for that?

CC
I think all you need is a thermometer for confirmation of that. What a Face

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  southern gardener on 8/6/2012, 4:48 pm

gwennifer wrote:
CapeCoddess wrote:Camp, I don't understand that calculator.

Camprn beat me to the punch - I was going to offer to explain the differences in growing seasons for different locations the same way. (Thanks to boffer for clueing me into GDD's!)

Here's the short answer: First, let's call them growing degree units, or heat units instead of growing degree days. It's much less confusing since more than one unit can accumulate per day. More than one day per day just doesn't make sense!

Second, all plants have a base temperature below which they do not grow. Simplistically, this is 40 degrees for cool season plants and 50 degrees for warm season plants. Tomatoes are a warm season plant, so lets use 50 degrees as the base. So any time the temperature is above fifty, the tomato plant can grow (assuming all other needs are met). The more heat units the plant gets, the more it grows. And remember, more than one heat unit can accumulate per day.

Let's assume all things are equal and do a comparison between you and llama momma. We'll say you both planted identical tomato plants on May 1st. Using the calculator, select 50 degrees as a baseline and a date range from May 1st of this year to yesterday, August 5th. Plug in your zipcode first, and use the same date range and baseline temp with zipcode 43102 for llama momma in Amanda, Ohio. Here's what we get:

zip code 43102: 2171.5 GDD's
zip code 02645: 1499.5 GDD's

So llama mommas tomatoes have been able to soak up 672 more heat units then your tomatoes. Nearly 45% more! Very simply speaking, her tomatoes are 45% further along then yours. Makes sense then, that she would have ripe tomatoes before you, right?

I hope that helps!

Thank you for that explanation! once you said "units" instead of "days" it made sense! I was so confused as to how we'd have 675 etc days?? I get it now Smile
avatar
southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 37
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum