Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 4:32 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 3:55 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 1:42 pm

» Ayrshire Newbie
by robert1938 Today at 12:17 pm

» Hello from West Coast Of Scotland
by robert1938 Today at 12:02 pm

» Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit REGISTER NOW!
by countrynaturals Today at 11:53 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver Today at 9:53 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM Today at 12:33 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 8:47 pm

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 8:40 pm

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by Turan Yesterday at 5:14 pm

» Lower south Oct 2017
by brianj555 Yesterday at 5:02 pm

» Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 4:50 pm

» Thumbs Up????
by brianj555 Yesterday at 4:47 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY - ENDS 10/20/17
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:37 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:34 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by Turan Yesterday at 12:01 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:17 am

» Today's Harvest
by brianj555 10/16/2017, 8:21 pm

» new greenhouse got drafted
by Scorpio Rising 10/16/2017, 8:08 pm

» Monarch Supporter
by Scorpio Rising 10/16/2017, 7:55 pm

» New England October 2017
by countrynaturals 10/16/2017, 1:09 pm

» October Avatar: Don't Fence Me In
by trolleydriver 10/16/2017, 11:45 am

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals 10/15/2017, 3:51 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 10/15/2017, 3:28 pm

» Leaf-Footed squash bugs
by sanderson 10/14/2017, 11:21 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by Scorpio Rising 10/14/2017, 9:12 pm

» Tomato Questions
by Scorpio Rising 10/14/2017, 9:06 pm

» large plant ID stakes
by has55 10/14/2017, 4:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Small potatoes... and all other root veg

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Small potatoes... and all other root veg

Post  jessica.owenrose on 8/12/2012, 4:15 pm

I live in San Antonio, TX and first tried growing russet, sweet potato and whatever type of organic red I got at Whole Food that grew eyes before we ate them. I planted them in mid-March (we've had a really warm and early summer) and I pulled them out today and got 2 russets barely half the size of my palm, a sweet potato barely the length of my thumb and a handful of red potatoes about the size of my thumbnail. Why so small??? Or is this what I should expect? This isn't even close to the size of the potatoes they came from. Also, I tend to have the same problem with carrots (smaller around than a pencil, a couple of inches long), parsnips (see carrots) and beets (about the size of my thumbnail), although the ones I planted last fall were a little closer to the size they were supposed to be according to the seed pack. Any suggestions? If I want to feed my family of 3, I'll have to dedicate the entire backyard to root veg! Smile Everyone else in the neighborhood seems to have "normal" sized vegetables.
jessica.owenrose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Small potatoes... and all other root veg

Post  efirvin on 8/13/2012, 5:09 pm

Hi Jessica!
I don't know the answer to your questions but am eager to hear from the more experienced sfg people here! I have had similar problems with my beets, radishes, turnips and some of the potatoes.
Evelyn from zone 4 Wyoming
efirvin

Female Posts : 146

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 8/14/2012, 2:48 am

One of the problems could be too much nitrogen which produces leaves at the expense of roots.
Or maybe a shortage of one of the other thinks, I it up to see what is good for the roots
Please help us, you more experienced gardeners, please; I don't want to pass on incorrect information.
Kelejan

Female Posts : 4971

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 8/14/2012, 9:48 am

Since my garden is too large to change it over to mels mix totally, I had some potatoes this year in mels mix and some in the ground and the ones in the ground seemed to do much better. I have found that some crops do better in mels mix than others.
I have some tomatoes in mels mix and some in dirt and the ones in mels mix are doing MUCH better, however I have added a lot of extra compost and fish fertilizer to them
The beans are just incredible in mels mix. The carrots seem to be doing very well, in mels mix. THe peppers not. Kale, spinach, and artichokes have done very well.
Because of space limitations I did my beets in soil. I have read that Beets have a need for boron.
GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jessica.owenrose on 8/14/2012, 1:50 pm

Yes, I find that Mel's Mix seems to work well for some things and not others, but funnily enough, not the same things you mentioned Very Happy

My peppers are doing great, but I have them in their own large containers (20 in pots)--my Dad swears they prefer to be alone, and maybe that's the case with the potatoes. My strategy this fall is to plant them in their own containers. I have an 8x2 raised bed that I could dedicate to the root veg and maybe make some alterations to the soil. I haven't posted this question to my local agricultural extension/master gardeners yet, so I'll let you know when I find out more info. Our natural soil is primarily clay and riddled with bamboo, so the raised bed/containers is my best bet in our neighborhood.
jessica.owenrose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jillintx on 8/14/2012, 6:10 pm

Hi Jessica,

I am in the DFW area and had asked a similar question a few months ago. It was suggested that root crops may need some bone meal added in, especially until I am able to use all "homemade" compost. (Unfortunately I can't give you the results of adding in the bone meal because this fall garden will be the first time growing them since getting that advice.)

Good luck!
Jill
jillintx

Female Posts : 82

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant on 8/15/2012, 9:51 pm

jessica.owenrose wrote:Yes, I find that Mel's Mix seems to work well for some things and not others, but funnily enough, not the same things you mentioned Very Happy

My peppers are doing great, but I have them in their own large containers (20 in pots)--my Dad swears they prefer to be alone, and maybe that's the case with the potatoes. My strategy this fall is to plant them in their own containers. I have an 8x2 raised bed that I could dedicate to the root veg and maybe make some alterations to the soil. I haven't posted this question to my local agricultural extension/master gardeners yet, so I'll let you know when I find out more info. Our natural soil is primarily clay and riddled with bamboo, so the raised bed/containers is my best bet in our neighborhood.

How funny, as I've always read that peppers like to "rub shoulders" so I've always planted at least 2 next to each other. My peppers have gone crazy this year.

The root crops that I tried over the winter didn't do much and I haven't had much luck with root crops in MM. But I added bone meal and finally had some success this spring. Have high hopes for root crops this winter!

elliephant

Female Posts : 842

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jessica.owenrose on 8/16/2012, 10:03 pm

Bone meal it is then! I think I'll devote one box to root veg and add some bone meal to that and see how it works. Last winter's carrots were the only thing that sort of came out normal, so maybe it's the temperature as well...Thanks for all the input!
jessica.owenrose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum