Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tips for compost tumbler
by sanderson Today at 3:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2017? 2017
by sanderson Today at 3:27 am

» Mid-Atl - Aug 2017 - Planning/Planting Fall/Winter Garden
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:05 pm

» Amaranth
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:53 pm

» Franken-mato!!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:48 pm

» Newbie Oldbie
by yolos Yesterday at 8:17 pm

» who has chickens
by RoOsTeR Yesterday at 7:59 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» It's actually more like surviving.... these days...
by RoOsTeR Yesterday at 3:14 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 2:40 pm

» Heat wave and shade screen
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:17 pm

» Sweet Potatoes
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:04 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:37 am

» Grow Produce from Produce!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:18 am

» Huge Box of Seeds from 2003!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:12 am

» Water....
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:45 am

» Bee 'Sleeping' in Cucumber Flower
by hammock gal Yesterday at 7:10 am

» Store Bought Compost
by plantoid Yesterday at 6:58 am

» N & C Midwest: August is here!!! 2017
by Scorpio Rising 8/16/2017, 9:58 pm

» Monarch Supporter
by Scorpio Rising 8/16/2017, 6:54 pm

» Top Dressing with Compost
by donnainzone5 8/16/2017, 3:59 pm

» What do you know about making sauerkraut?
by CapeCoddess 8/16/2017, 3:55 pm

» cherokee purple...seed to dish
by CapeCoddess 8/16/2017, 12:57 pm

» I feel VERY fortunate!
by AtlantaMarie 8/16/2017, 8:28 am

» Things You Never Knew Existed Until SFG...
by llama momma 8/16/2017, 6:47 am

» Anyone want walking onions??
by RoOsTeR 8/15/2017, 9:27 pm

» What weed? is this? (with pic)
by yolos 8/15/2017, 8:53 pm

» Ground Cherries
by Scorpio Rising 8/15/2017, 7:18 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 8/15/2017, 7:17 pm

» What I've learned this year
by countrynaturals 8/15/2017, 4:38 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mid-Atlantic: September - What's Up?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mid-Atlantic: September - What's Up?

Post  gregrenee88 on 9/4/2012, 1:04 pm

Hi Everyone!
How is your Fall garden coming along?
avatar
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280
Join date : 2012-04-23
Age : 50
Location : Sharpsburg, Md. Zone 6B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mid-Atlantic: September - What's Up?

Post  Dunkinjean on 9/9/2012, 9:40 pm

My fall planting is going ok so far.
I planted carrots, 3 different kinds of lettuce, radishes and beets.
I planted some peas but only a few came up so I planted more in those boxes and then planted some peas in another 2 boxes. I planted bush beans but only 1 plant came up. I planted spinach and again only some came up so it still might be too warm for them. So I will reseed in a week or two if needed.
My tomatoes are still producing and also my pole beans and peppers.
I hope all is well with everyone!
avatar
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 675
Join date : 2010-05-05
Age : 62
Location : Central NJ - From 6A to 7A 2012

View user profile http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mid-Atlantic: September - What's Up?

Post  gregrenee88 on 9/10/2012, 1:45 pm

We planted carrots early summer and they seemed to take a looooooooong time. I never even thought of planting them for Fall. When do you plan to harvest them?

Renee
avatar
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280
Join date : 2012-04-23
Age : 50
Location : Sharpsburg, Md. Zone 6B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mid-Atlantic: September - What's Up?

Post  Dunkinjean on 9/10/2012, 11:56 pm

Hi Renee:

I did plant them late - Aug 19th since it was so hot here, so I am taking a chance. It takes 75 days to maturity which will be around Nov 1st. Since I had alot of carrot seeds I thought why not try - hopefully I won't be disappointed. Very Happy
avatar
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 675
Join date : 2010-05-05
Age : 62
Location : Central NJ - From 6A to 7A 2012

View user profile http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mid-Atlantic: September - What's Up?

Post  gregrenee88 on 9/11/2012, 12:09 pm

Best wishes! Would you keep us posted on how they are doing as the season goes on?
avatar
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280
Join date : 2012-04-23
Age : 50
Location : Sharpsburg, Md. Zone 6B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mid-Atlantic: September - What's Up?

Post  Dunkinjean on 9/11/2012, 2:21 pm

Absolutely !
avatar
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 675
Join date : 2010-05-05
Age : 62
Location : Central NJ - From 6A to 7A 2012

View user profile http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mid-Atlantic: September - What's Up?

Post  gregrenee88 on 9/11/2012, 8:33 pm

Awesome! Our lettuce is coming up and I've let some of my first year strawberry runners replant themselves.
avatar
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280
Join date : 2012-04-23
Age : 50
Location : Sharpsburg, Md. Zone 6B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mid-Atlantic: September - What's Up?

Post  bakermtb on 9/17/2012, 8:04 pm

I took advantage of the fall seed special from Jung and my garden (outside)is planted. I started some seeds for my first time green house this year and see if I can have a nice salad on Christmas. My greenhouse is 6' x 8'. The temps are running around 110 degrees with the vents and door open when the sun is shinning. Wow. Just had some lettuce, tomatoes while checking my garden. Yum!
avatar
bakermtb

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 87
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 62
Location : Ellicott City, MD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mid-Atlantic: September - What's Up?

Post  camprn on 9/17/2012, 8:51 pm

@Dunkinjean wrote:Hi Renee:

I did plant them late - Aug 19th since it was so hot here, so I am taking a chance. It takes 75 days to maturity which will be around Nov 1st. Since I had alot of carrot seeds I thought why not try - hopefully I won't be disappointed. Very Happy
I predict you are going to be digging fresh carrots for Holiday supper. okay

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Mid-Atlantic: September - What's Up?

Post  Pollinator on 9/17/2012, 10:54 pm

I've sown my carrots three times, and have only a handful of plants that germinated. Today I broke down and went and bought some fresh seed. Not the variety I wanted, but maybe it'll germinate. Beets also germinated poorly, so I dumped a good half ounce of seed on the bed. We'll see if I can get a stand, now that it's cooler. I had already set out some cauliflower and cabbage that I started earlier. But the broccoli I started also did not germinate - probably too hot, so I broke down and bought some started plants. They are all in the ground now - and with rain forecast tomorrow, all should get established OK. The tomatoes I planted in buckets are now getting ready to blossom, and I'm starting to see some female blossoms on my Caribbean squash. Fall okra is starting to produce as well. Peppers are still producing well. Have set out a lot of onions. Fall sweet corn is about two feet tall. Hoping for a good fall/winter garden!
avatar
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445
Join date : 2012-06-23
Location : Coastal SC

View user profile http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Mid-Atlantic: September - What's Up?

Post  gregrenee88 on 9/18/2012, 1:10 pm

@Pollinator wrote:I've sown my carrots three times, and have only a handful of plants that germinated. Today I broke down and went and bought some fresh seed. Not the variety I wanted, but maybe it'll germinate. Beets also germinated poorly, so I dumped a good half ounce of seed on the bed. We'll see if I can get a stand, now that it's cooler. I had already set out some cauliflower and cabbage that I started earlier. But the broccoli I started also did not germinate - probably too hot, so I broke down and bought some started plants. They are all in the ground now - and with rain forecast tomorrow, all should get established OK. The tomatoes I planted in buckets are now getting ready to blossom, and I'm starting to see some female blossoms on my Caribbean squash. Fall okra is starting to produce as well. Peppers are still producing well. Have set out a lot of onions. Fall sweet corn is about two feet tall. Hoping for a good fall/winter garden!


I thought okra needed "hot" weather"? Ours is still producing like crazy but now that it's cooling down I suspect they will slow. There is a fall okra?? thinking
avatar
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280
Join date : 2012-04-23
Age : 50
Location : Sharpsburg, Md. Zone 6B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mid-Atlantic: September - What's Up?

Post  Pollinator on 9/19/2012, 10:52 pm

@gregrenee88 wrote:
I thought okra needed "hot" weather"? Ours is still producing like crazy but now that it's cooling down I suspect they will slow. There is a fall okra?? thinking

I planted these in late July. We normally get okra right up to frost, which can occur in late October to mid-December, but typically comes around mid to late November.

My thinking is that okra loves heat, but can still bear in cooler weather, if already established.
avatar
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445
Join date : 2012-06-23
Location : Coastal SC

View user profile http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Mid-Atlantic: September - What's Up?

Post  gregrenee88 on 9/20/2012, 12:39 pm

@gregrenee88 wrote:
@Pollinator wrote:I've sown my carrots three times, and have only a handful of plants that germinated. Today I broke down and went and bought some fresh seed. Not the variety I wanted, but maybe it'll germinate. Beets also germinated poorly, so I dumped a good half ounce of seed on the bed. We'll see if I can get a stand, now that it's cooler. I had already set out some cauliflower and cabbage that I started earlier. But the broccoli I started also did not germinate - probably too hot, so I broke down and bought some started plants. They are all in the ground now - and with rain forecast tomorrow, all should get established OK. The tomatoes I planted in buckets are now getting ready to blossom, and I'm starting to see some female blossoms on my Caribbean squash. Fall okra is starting to produce as well. Peppers are still producing well. Have set out a lot of onions. Fall sweet corn is about two feet tall. Hoping for a good fall/winter garden!


I thought okra needed "hot" weather"? Ours is still producing like crazy but now that it's cooling down I suspect they will slow. There is a fall okra?? thinking

That's good to know! Thanks!!
avatar
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280
Join date : 2012-04-23
Age : 50
Location : Sharpsburg, Md. Zone 6B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mid-Atlantic: September - What's Up?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum