Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 4:51 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 4:42 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 3:16 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 12:49 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:49 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 11:48 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by CapeCoddess Today at 11:37 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by landarch Today at 9:29 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by llama momma Today at 5:10 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by yolos Today at 12:13 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:27 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

» New Member
by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help, Ants!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help, Ants!!!

Post  cle112 on 9/29/2012, 4:26 pm

I lie in Orange CA, and I have little brown/black ants all over my SFG boxes. I tried diatomaceous earth, but there seems to be more now then the beginning of summer when I started with that. I am thinking of using Seven Dust, around the boxes. Has anyone used this, or is there a better way to get rid of these littlle pests.
Thank you

cle112

Posts : 1
Join date : 2011-10-25
Location : Southern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help, Ants!!!

Post  camprn on 9/29/2012, 4:38 pm

They may just be swarming, moving to another nest site. Is this just happening in the past few days?

I would encourage you to contact your County Cooperative Extension Service Agent for advice on how to deal with them in a manner that wont harm your health or the health of beneficial insects you want to keep in your garden.

this link is geared toward household ants, but may give you some ideas.
http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Ants

They also do not like boric acid crystals which you can get at the pharmacy (NOT BORAX).

There are quite a few older threads about ant control and you may use the search feature at the bottom of the 'Latest Topics' list to find them.

____________________________

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!


camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Help, Ants!!!

Post  yolos on 9/29/2012, 5:46 pm

I also had ants everywhere. They were crawling all over my okra and all over the raised beds. In the Okra bed, I tried DE, corn meal, then got deserate and tried Home Defense, then got even more desperate and tried spectacide (bad, bad, me). None of these worked. The ants walked right over them to get to the okra stalks.

I finally tried corn syrup and boric acid. All of the ants were gone from the Okra bed in 2 days. The recipe for this is:

9 tsp sweet corn syrup
1 tsp boric acid
Mix syrup and boric acid, mix well, slightly heat in microwave if you need to thin out the syrup to mix.
Put this mixture into a small tub like a butter tub with a top so rain won't get in.
Just above the level of the mixture, punch a few holes in the tub big enough so the ants can get into the tub/mixture. I spread a little of the mixture on the outside of the tub near the holes so the ants would find the holes (but I doubt I had to do this and the recipe did not call for it).
Put this tub in the bed.

I spread these tubs around my garden and I have not seen any ants since I put these out in the garden.

yolos

Female Posts : 2859
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 66
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help, Ants!!!

Post  southern gardener on 9/29/2012, 5:51 pm

Yolos...i've tried them all too! They walk right over the "poison" or whatever we use, and keep coming. i tried a homemade mix and it didn't work. I'm gonna try yours and see if it works. We've used Terro, Combat, Sevin Dust, organic powders, home defense on and on! It's crazy! they're just the little black ants, but they bring in the aphids so badly! I'll let you know if your recipe works! Hope so. We tried one similar, but it used sugar and water instead of the corn syrup.

southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 36
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help, Ants!!!

Post  FamilyGardening on 9/29/2012, 6:29 pm

keep us posted on how it works....

ants have brought aphids to us as well What a Face

one area in our garden we tried the corn meal and it seemed to work.....we need to do something in our corn box's when we are done harvesting.....havent tried anything there yet....

hugs
rose

FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424
Join date : 2011-05-10
Location : Western WA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help, Ants!!!

Post  CapeCoddess on 9/29/2012, 6:58 pm

I 2nd the cornmeal. It works great for us! We use the fine cornmeal for small ants.

CC

CapeCoddess

Posts : 5374
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 60
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help, Ants!!!

Post  Lindacol on 9/29/2012, 6:59 pm

I am in the inland Empire area and had terrible problems(in several other threads earlier this summer) with those type of ants. I tried most everything organic that was reccomended here. I finally resorted to using Amdro ant block. It is not organic so I am very careful to not use it in the beds but first sprinkled it in/on the cinderblocks at the edge of the affected bed. They were gone within a few days!
Since then I have had a couple of times when they came up in a tabletop and in my compost. I just put a small amount of the Amdro in a small container (like a jar lid or bottle cap) in a corner of the bed or the compost pile where the ants could get to it. I leave it out for only a few days.
It is such a relief not to have my plants getting attacked by ants and not to have to worry about getting bit whenever I put my hands in the MM.

Lindacol

Posts : 777
Join date : 2011-01-23
Location : Bloomington, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help, Ants!!!

Post  southern gardener on 9/29/2012, 8:21 pm

@Lindacol wrote:I am in the inland Empire area and had terrible problems(in several other threads earlier this summer) with those type of ants. I tried most everything organic that was reccomended here. I finally resorted to using Amdro ant block. It is not organic so I am very careful to not use it in the beds but first sprinkled it in/on the cinderblocks at the edge of the affected bed. They were gone within a few days!
Since then I have had a couple of times when they came up in a tabletop and in my compost. I just put a small amount of the Amdro in a small container (like a jar lid or bottle cap) in a corner of the bed or the compost pile where the ants could get to it. I leave it out for only a few days.
It is such a relief not to have my plants getting attacked by ants and not to have to worry about getting bit whenever I put my hands in the MM.

Well, the ants are all over the mixture. We'll see if they die, or bring all their relatives! I'll check into that Amdro. I want to stay as organic as I can, but holy guacamole! this is crazy! They seem to thrive on the measures I've tried. I think the corn meal was protein powder to them! lol

southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 36
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help, Ants!!!

Post  Lindacol on 9/29/2012, 11:34 pm

The ants were all over mine too. I put the Amdro outside the bed where there were some ants and the ants take it to their nest. But now I would suggest to put it in small containers which you can remove a couple of days after they are gone.

In the below link there are pictures of them in my potatoes, they were doing the same thing to my 1st crop of corn this year but after the Amdro I have seen no more in that bed. About 6 weeks later they showed up on a tabletop and I couldn't figure out how they were getting in, so I tried the Amdro in a small lid in the corner and it worked.

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t12158-ants-got-my-potatoes

Lindacol

Posts : 777
Join date : 2011-01-23
Location : Bloomington, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help, Ants!!!

Post  southern gardener on 9/30/2012, 12:04 am

@Lindacol wrote:The ants were all over mine too. I put the Amdro outside the bed where there were some ants and the ants take it to their nest. But now I would suggest to put it in small containers which you can remove a couple of days after they are gone.

In the below link there are pictures of them in my potatoes, they were doing the same thing to my 1st crop of corn this year but after the Amdro I have seen no more in that bed. About 6 weeks later they showed up on a tabletop and I couldn't figure out how they were getting in, so I tried the Amdro in a small lid in the corner and it worked.

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t12158-ants-got-my-potatoes

Thanks for the great info! Now that you mention it, we had tons of ants in our potatoes we harvested yesterday. Our ants are all black..yours look red/black? If my latest attempt doesn't work, I'm gonna try that amdro. I want them out. That's about all the pest problems I really have are ants, I'm having a hard enough time getting my stuff to grow without the ants bringing in more pests! TY again!

southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 36
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help, Ants!!!

Post  Lindacol on 9/30/2012, 12:55 am

@southern gardener wrote:
@Lindacol wrote:The ants were all over mine too. I put the Amdro outside the bed where there were some ants and the ants take it to their nest. But now I would suggest to put it in small containers which you can remove a couple of days after they are gone.

In the below link there are pictures of them in my potatoes, they were doing the same thing to my 1st crop of corn this year but after the Amdro I have seen no more in that bed. About 6 weeks later they showed up on a tabletop and I couldn't figure out how they were getting in, so I tried the Amdro in a small lid in the corner and it worked.

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t12158-ants-got-my-potatoes

Thanks for the great info! Now that you mention it, we had tons of ants in our potatoes we harvested yesterday. Our ants are all black..yours look red/black? If my latest attempt doesn't work, I'm gonna try that amdro. I want them out. That's about all the pest problems I really have are ants, I'm having a hard enough time getting my stuff to grow without the ants bringing in more pests! TY again!

Mine were little red/black. Here is what I used:

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/amdro-24-oz-ant-block-8150490.html

Lindacol

Posts : 777
Join date : 2011-01-23
Location : Bloomington, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help, Ants!!!

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:13 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum