Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:36 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:46 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:41 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan Yesterday at 5:19 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:51 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma 12/6/2016, 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma 12/6/2016, 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess 12/6/2016, 3:27 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Food mill advice?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Food mill advice?

Post  Patty from Yorktown on 10/13/2012, 10:05 pm

I think I would like a food mill. There has to be a faster way to process garden produce than by hand with a dull paring knife. I can a lot of tomatoes, apple sauce and jam. I think I would like something which has mostly metal parts, unless folks can recommend a reliable one, which is plastic. While I only can for my family and a few things as gifts, I will use the tool quite a bit, so I hope it will last. My brother claims I use things at a near commercial usage. I also have a Kitchen aid mixer, so I know could track down some food mill parts for it. (Perhaps that is a way I should go.) I guess what I am asking is, does anybody have a food mill they really like and what is the brand or model number. Thanks in advance.

Patty in Yorktown

Patty from Yorktown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Food mill advice?

Post  camprn on 10/13/2012, 10:11 pm

I really want a Squeezo, but I too should look into the food mill attachment for the Kitchen Aide.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo on 10/13/2012, 10:42 pm

Well, I'm not sure what you call a food mill. But, I think that is what I have. It's made by Victorio, bought thru the Mendingshed.com. Model 250. I bought the extra strainers. It does pumpkin, tomatoes(takes skin and seeds out) berries, even strawberry seeds are removed, apple butter/sauce, even does larger chunks for salsa. I think it was about $150, pricey, but well worth it to me. Ex: I put berries, grapes, in the freezer, til I get enough ripe or I feel like it, thaw in the bag, put thru the food mill which doesn't take much time, then make jelly or jam, etc. Even if you cook stuff you just cool to where it's not boiling and put thru food mill. It is partly metal and part plastic.
I also have an apple peeler/corer, Apple/potato Master,metal,will peel and core and slice apples very fast. I processed 1.5 bushels of apples in just a couple hours, clean slices for pie apples, the rest into the pan for sauce and butter, cores and all, after cooking some to soften, put thru the food mill to remove skin and seeds. Both of these are manuel, but operate easily.
Jo

littlejo

Female Posts : 1528

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper on 10/14/2012, 1:13 am

You may want to Google the Foley Food Mill, they last for years and years (mine is very old and considered Vintage, lol). I use it to make many things from applesauce to tomato sauce. I do not peel my tomatoes, apples or other items prior to processing since the food mill does the work and removes the seeds, peels and stems while getting the added benefit of all of that pectin as a thickening agent during the cooking process.
I have used the KitchenAid grinder attachment for tomatoes prior to cooking but it does not remove seeds or peels. My KitchenAid is my favorite kitchen item for grinding, slicing, shredding and pasta making but I do not own the Fruit and Vegetable Strainer. My Foley can handle at least 3 quarts of hot tomatoes, apples or whatever at one time. I think I will check out the KitchenAid strainer and see what it can do.

Last edited by happycamper on 10/14/2012, 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling correction)

happycamper

Female Posts : 304

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nycquilter on 10/14/2012, 8:06 am

I ditto what HappyCamper said. I have a Foley food mill that is 100% metal and that was purchased in the very early 80's (maybe 81?). It cost $35 then. It came with three plates to puree from fine to medium to coarse. I use it all the time. The downside is some tomato seeds do get through so if that's a problem, then this would not work for you. I must have made several gallons of tomato sauce this season. I consider this purchase a great value!

nycquilter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo on 10/14/2012, 8:40 am

Patti and all,
I was looking this am and the 1 I have is less than $50 dollars! I guess I bought this too soon! Several yrs. ago.
http://www.amazon.com/Victorio-VKP250-Model-Strainer-Sauce/dp/B001I7FP54

The foley 1 is ok, but just be sure it's stainless, and not just 'clad' in something. I have 1 of those, not a foley, that is just clad in something. The acid in the food ate off the finnish, and it puts metal into the sauce.

littlejo

Female Posts : 1528

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown on 10/14/2012, 12:18 pm

Thanks for all of the help, so far. My gardening friends have gotten me to go up in the attic and find my old foley food mill. I never knew what it was. My Grandma used it it make apple sauce, but I used to use a blender (that was before I got a stick blender which doesn't spew boiling hot apple sauce everywhere when you let your guard down.) Now I will have to run a test and see if it will meet my needs, I still think I want a different style, but at least I will have a more educated opinion. Too bad I am out of tomatoes (bad year only 9 pints of spaghetti sauce.) Thanks again.

Patty from Yorktown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator on 10/14/2012, 3:01 pm

With a good mill (we have a Saucemaster - a Victorio copycat, which we purchased from an Amish store), you save so much work. For applesauce, I simply quarter the apples and remove the stem and blossom remnants. The seeds, core and skin will be removed by the processor. Simply simmer, let it cool enough so it's not dangerous to handle and run it through the mill.

Applesauce (pink if they are red apples) will come out one part and the waste will come out another. If the waste is quite moist, I take that last and run it through again.

Also, when I am cutting up apples for pies, I save the skins and cores and add them to a batch of apples cut for applesauce. This just about eliminates any waste of fruit pulp that is cut off with the paring and in the cores.

We love ours. It saves a lot of time.

Pollinator

Male Posts : 444

View user profile http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  nycquilter on 10/14/2012, 3:06 pm

when I make applesauce, I add some (organic) lemon peel and a cinnamon stick or two.

nycquilter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator on 10/14/2012, 3:10 pm

@nycquilter wrote:when I make applesauce, I add some (organic) lemon peel and a cinnamon stick or two.

I might could go with a little lemon juice if you are salvaging old apples, but, if you use a quality apple variety, that's not gotten overly mellow, you'll get great applesauce without any of the superficial trimmings. Our applesauce never has any sugar either. If it turned out really tart, we might add a touch of honey, but that's it.

We want the flavor of apples. Period.

Pollinator

Male Posts : 444

View user profile http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:02 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum