Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by GardenGal Today at 8:35 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 7:45 pm

» New England, December 2016
by RJARPCGP Today at 7:23 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by yolos Today at 5:57 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 5:21 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 5:12 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 4:41 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by PVPind Today at 12:13 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Today at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Today at 7:05 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:41 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan Yesterday at 5:19 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

» New Member
by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Whole Wheat Bread

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Whole Wheat Bread

Post  Luke Allen on 10/23/2012, 3:22 pm

I am on the hunt for a really good whole wheat bread recipe. I
have tried at least 15 different recipes and they all turn out too
heavy and dense. I could use the help from some of you bread
"gooroos".
Luke

Luke Allen

Male Posts : 36
Join date : 2012-02-10
Age : 73
Location : West Texas

View user profile http://lukeallen900@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Whole Wheat Bread

Post  gardenertaylor on 10/23/2012, 3:34 pm

Have you ever made No Knead bread? I make it all the time. It's hands down the best bread I've ever made. Just substitute whole wheat flour for the bread flour or use a ratio of 2:1 (wheat flour to bread flour). It takes a day and 1/2, but very good. And it's a very forgiving recipe; very hard to screw up. I cook it my large soup pot. Cool

"3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
¼ teaspoon instant yeast
1¼ teaspoons salt
Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed.

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

3. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

4. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack."

gardenertaylor

Female Posts : 72
Join date : 2012-10-21
Age : 42
Location : Boise, ID

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Whole Wheat Bread

Post  petunia52 on 10/23/2012, 4:09 pm

@gardenertaylor wrote:Have you ever made No Knead bread? I make it all the time. It's hands down the best bread I've ever made. Just substitute whole wheat flour for the bread flour or use a ratio of 2:1 (wheat flour to bread flour). It takes a day and 1/2, but very good. And it's a very forgiving recipe; very hard to screw up. I cook it my large soup pot. Cool

I have to try that!!! Thanks.


Last edited by camprn on 10/23/2012, 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed quote box)

petunia52

Female Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-10-22
Age : 64
Location : Salt Lake City, Utah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Whole Wheat Bread

Post  gardenertaylor on 10/23/2012, 4:12 pm

The ratio of whole wheat to bread flour will help with the denseness. Though it will still be more dense than straight bread flour. If you want to know more you can google NY Times No Knead bread for an article about it. I'd post the link, but since I'm new on this forum I have a wait a week to post links. Very Happy

gardenertaylor

Female Posts : 72
Join date : 2012-10-21
Age : 42
Location : Boise, ID

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Whole Wheat Bread

Post  Patty from Yorktown on 10/23/2012, 9:13 pm

Do you have a bread machine? This is my favorite recipe for 3/4 whole wheat. (The dry part of the mix, minus the yeast will fit in a quart canning jar.) Makes a "2 pound" loaf

1 egg
3 TBSP butter
1 1/3 milk
3 c. whole wheat flour
1c. white flour
3 TBSP sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 TBSP gluten
1 tsp yeast

Beware of your waistline.
Patty from Yorktown

Patty from Yorktown

Posts : 350
Join date : 2010-03-05
Location : Yorktown, Virginia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Whole Wheat Bread

Post  Patty from Yorktown on 10/23/2012, 9:19 pm

An other question about your bread making adventures. Are you using gluten? It can be found in a good grocery or sometimes a health food store. It will come in a box or bag of pale cream, super fine powder. Gluten is the protein found in flour, it can also be developed by kneading. (Whole wheat flour is low with natural gluten.) It should improve the texture of wheat bread. Gluten is also the stuff that some people are very allergic to. Have fun baking.

Patty from Yorktown

Patty from Yorktown

Posts : 350
Join date : 2010-03-05
Location : Yorktown, Virginia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Whole Wheat Bread

Post  Luke Allen on 10/24/2012, 10:06 am

Thanks for all the great recipes!!!!!!!!!!! To Gardenertaylor do you leave the oven temperture at 450 for the whole baking time? Shocked

Luke Allen

Male Posts : 36
Join date : 2012-02-10
Age : 73
Location : West Texas

View user profile http://lukeallen900@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Whole Wheat Bread

Post  gwennifer on 10/24/2012, 10:20 am

Ever have Dave's Killer Bread? I found this recipe for his basic whole wheat bread and video directions from the man himself. I bought the wheat gluten but I haven't tried it yet. Let me know if you do and how it turns out:

Sponge

3 1/3 cups whole wheat flour (14 1/4 ounces/403 grams)

1/2 cup organic sugar

1 tbsp plus 1/2 tsp instant yeast

2 1/4 cups water

1 1/2 tbsp molasses

1 tbsp canola oil

Dough

3 1/3 cups whole wheat flour (14 1/4 ounces/403 grams)

1/4 cup vital wheat gluten (30 grams)

2 tsp salt

1. Sponge: In bowl of stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine 3 1/3 cups whole wheat flour, sugar and yeast, mixing until combined. Add the water, molasses and oil to the flour, mixing until incorporated. Beat for 5 minutes on low. Cover bowl and set aside for one hour.

2. Dough: Add the remaining flour, gluten, and salt to the sponge, beating until well mixed. If dough is too dry, you can add another tablespoon or two of water. Using the dough hook, if possible, beat the dough on medium high speed for 10 to 15 minutes, until a window pane develops (see video). You should have a nice, smooth dough.

3. Cut the dough into two equal pieces, cover with a slightly damp towel and set it aside to let it rest for 15 minutes. Roll dough into a smooth log, making sure to get the air out. Repeat with remaining dough. Place shaped dough into greased pans and let proof until it begins to peak over the pan. Preheat oven to 350°F while bread is rising.

4. Let rise in pans about 1 hour, or until the dough has risen enough to really fill up the pan, and has crested over the top. Bake loaves in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer reads 190°F.

I saw one reviewer say they no longer use the wheat gluten because "making the sponge allows so much development of the dough that it rises fine on 100% fresh ground whole wheat. Count me as shocked, but it is true."

gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1413
Join date : 2011-05-11
Location : Vancouver, WA

View user profile http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Whole Wheat Bread

Post  Goosegirl on 10/24/2012, 9:51 pm

Just made this tonight - used white whole wheat and left out the additional gluten. Recipe worked just fine and 1/2 a loaf is already gone (there are only 2 of us in the house).

PS - Dough was a bit dry, so I did add several tsp additional water during the mixing, 1 tsp at a time, to observe consistency.

GG


Last edited by Goosegirl on 10/24/2012, 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : PS)

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Whole Wheat Bread

Post  Luke Allen on 10/25/2012, 9:14 am

Once again the great people on Squrefoot have come through.
I will be sure to try this one and I have some of the white whole
wheat flour. I need to get to the end of my search as I am gaining
weight trying and eating all of these recipes.
Luke

Luke Allen

Male Posts : 36
Join date : 2012-02-10
Age : 73
Location : West Texas

View user profile http://lukeallen900@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Whole Wheat Bread

Post  Lavender Debs on 10/25/2012, 10:03 am

I just have a moment before school, so no recipe. But what I've learned (Laurel’s Kitchen Bread Book) Is that whole wheat dough is usually under kneaded and over floured. The undeveloped gluten is sticky and makes bricks until the magic starts to happen. Use a scraper (keeps one hand clean) and knead through the sticky. Sometimes it takes 20 minutes. The dough will go from a muddy looking lump to an elastic, smooth (ie not sticky) round of dough. It should have the feel of a baby's behind when lightly slapped and be the color of fair skin with lots of freckles. Once you get to this point the gluten is developed and will make a surprisingly light loaf.....though it will never be wonder bread.

Save the gluten flour for ww bread machine loaves.
Debs.....an old hippy who still does bread

Lavender Debs

Posts : 2054
Join date : 2010-03-03
Age : 59
Location : Everett, WA USA

View user profile http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Whole Wheat Bread

Post  Goosegirl on 10/25/2012, 10:53 am

@Lavender Debs wrote:I just have a moment before school, so no recipe. But what I've learned (Laurel’s Kitchen Bread Book) Is that whole wheat dough is usually under kneaded and over floured. The undeveloped gluten is sticky and makes bricks until the magic starts to happen. Use a scraper (keeps one hand clean) and knead through the sticky. Sometimes it takes 20 minutes. The dough will go from a muddy looking lump to an elastic, smooth (ie not sticky) round of dough. It should have the feel of a baby's behind when lightly slapped and be the color of fair skin with lots of freckles. Once you get to this point the gluten is developed and will make a surprisingly light loaf.....though it will never be wonder bread.

Save the gluten flour for ww bread machine loaves.
Debs.....an old hippy who still does bread

I would have to agree with the 'under-kneading and over-flouring' for whole wheat breads. The recipe in the above post is the first time I have used my new stand mixer (never had one before) and since I was not getting the stickies on my fingers and making my hands go numb trying to knead the lump myself, I had my first truly successful kneading of whole wheat bread. Even without the additional gluten, the kneading in the mixer definitely developed the gluten already contained in the flour very well and these loaves are the lightest, fluffiest whole wheat bread I have ever made. I think even Hubby could be talked into using it for sandwiches! This recipe makes a sweet-tasting bread, so be prepared for that. Next batch I will try holding the sponge for a day or so and see how it tastes as a sourdough.

GG

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Whole Wheat Bread

Post  barmstr on 10/25/2012, 9:54 pm

No one has mentioned yeast. Forget the regular store bought Fleishman's yeast. Check at restaurant supply stores or on line for Safe -Instant yeast. Use the Gold one for the bread. It is fantastic. Your bread will rise beautifully.

Enjoy your day.
Bruce santa

barmstr

Male Posts : 62
Join date : 2010-09-10
Age : 71
Location : Queen Creek, AZ 85142

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Whole Wheat Bread

Post  Goosegirl on 10/25/2012, 10:40 pm

@barmstr wrote:No one has mentioned yeast. Forget the regular store bought Fleishman's yeast. Check at restaurant supply stores or on line for Safe -Instant yeast. Use the Gold one for the bread. It is fantastic. Your bread will rise beautifully.

Enjoy your day.
Bruce santa
+1
I didn't bother with the instant yeast either. I always have a jar of Red Star Quick Rise in the fridge - works for breads, sour dough starters, and wines! bottoms up

GG

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Whole Wheat Bread

Post  petunia52 on 10/26/2012, 1:24 am

I just pulled my first loaf out of the oven about 20 min ago and OMG it is so good. I love the texture of the perfect inside, crusty brown outside, amazing taste. My yeast was the jar of Red Star Active Dry, not even fast acting and the bread is amazing!!! I guess it really is "forgiving". Smile

petunia52

Female Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-10-22
Age : 64
Location : Salt Lake City, Utah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Whole Wheat Bread

Post  Goosegirl on 10/26/2012, 8:38 am

@petunia52 wrote:I just pulled my first loaf out of the oven about 20 min ago and OMG it is so good. I love the texture of the perfect inside, crusty brown outside, amazing taste. My yeast was the jar of Red Star Active Dry, not even fast acting and the bread is amazing!!! I guess it really is "forgiving". Smile

Really is 'Killer' isn't it! hungry

GG

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Whole Wheat Bread

Post  gardenertaylor on 10/26/2012, 9:40 am

Petunia . . . are you referring to the No Knead bread? I noticed the "forgiving" reference. It is simply divine, isn't it? cheers

gardenertaylor

Female Posts : 72
Join date : 2012-10-21
Age : 42
Location : Boise, ID

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Whole Wheat Bread

Post  gardenertaylor on 10/26/2012, 9:43 am

@Luke Allen wrote:Thanks for all the great recipes!!!!!!!!!!! To Gardenertaylor do you leave the oven temperture at 450 for the whole baking time? Shocked

Sorry, just saw this! Luke Allen - I don't change the temperature during the baking, but my hubs raises the temp to 465, for the whole time. Like I said, it's forgiving.

Have you tried it yet?

gardenertaylor

Female Posts : 72
Join date : 2012-10-21
Age : 42
Location : Boise, ID

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Whole Wheat Bread

Post  CharlesB on 10/26/2012, 10:22 am

@gardenertaylor wrote:4. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats.

I have always had trouble with bread turning out the way I wanted. I saw someone on Youtube do the trick with the cast iron pan so thought I would try it. I don't do the no-knead recipe, too impatient. I just use my bread maker on dough mode to make the dough. I put the dough on wax paper in a bowl after the bread machine. Let it rise about 1/2 hr more while the oven is pre-heating then transfer the dough in the wax paper in to the scorching hot cast-iron pan. Put cover on the pan and put in oven. This flash steams the bread and traps in the moisture, which is why I think it turns out so awesome. Just amazing crust every time.


CharlesB

Male Posts : 273
Join date : 2012-01-02
Location : Philadelphia, PA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Whole Wheat Bread

Post  gardenertaylor on 10/26/2012, 10:36 am

The other key to the No Knead Bread is to leave it alone for almost an hour after it comes out of the over, which helps keep the moisture. You can actually listen to the bread snap, crackle, and pop like rice crispies. Smile

gardenertaylor

Female Posts : 72
Join date : 2012-10-21
Age : 42
Location : Boise, ID

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Whole Wheat Bread

Post  petunia52 on 10/26/2012, 12:42 pm

@gardenertaylor wrote:Petunia . . . are you referring to the No Knead bread? I noticed the "forgiving" reference. It is simply divine, isn't it? cheers

It really is. I will surely have to widen my doors now. Wink

petunia52

Female Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-10-22
Age : 64
Location : Salt Lake City, Utah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Whole Wheat Bread

Post  petunia52 on 10/26/2012, 12:51 pm

@gardenertaylor wrote:The other key to the No Knead Bread is to leave it alone for almost an hour after it comes out of the over, which helps keep the moisture. You can actually listen to the bread snap, crackle, and pop like rice crispies. Smile

I tried because I know that all bread should cool. However, I was so curious how it turned out after seeing the transformation from ugly duckling to swan.

petunia52

Female Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-10-22
Age : 64
Location : Salt Lake City, Utah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Whole Wheat Bread

Post  Goosegirl on 10/26/2012, 1:02 pm

I have been doing the no-knead bread from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes A Day. Absolutely scrumptious! However, Hubby hates that I have a big tub of dough filling up the fridge all the time, so I have gone back to more traditional bread baking. Dave's Killer Bread from above posts is the first I have tried using my stand mixer. I LOVE IT!!! I can see that I will probably burn out my cheapie stand mixer quickly, then maybe Hubby will let me get a Kitchen Aid!

GG

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Whole Wheat Bread

Post  petunia52 on 10/26/2012, 1:24 pm

@Goosegirl wrote:I have been doing the no-knead bread from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes A Day. Absolutely scrumptious! However, Hubby hates that I have a big tub of dough filling up the fridge all the time, so I have gone back to more traditional bread baking. Dave's Killer Bread from above posts is the first I have tried using my stand mixer. I LOVE IT!!! I can see that I will probably burn out my cheapie stand mixer quickly, then maybe Hubby will let me get a Kitchen Aid!

GG

I will try the "killer" bread next. I watched his video the other day and wanted to make that one as well. I used to make all my own bread but I now have carpel tunnel in both wrists so kneeding became impossible. It is so great to find I can bake bread again. Thanks to all.

petunia52

Female Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-10-22
Age : 64
Location : Salt Lake City, Utah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Whole Wheat Bread

Post  Goosegirl on 10/26/2012, 2:38 pm

@petunia52 wrote:
@Goosegirl wrote:I have been doing the no-knead bread from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes A Day. Absolutely scrumptious! However, Hubby hates that I have a big tub of dough filling up the fridge all the time, so I have gone back to more traditional bread baking. Dave's Killer Bread from above posts is the first I have tried using my stand mixer. I LOVE IT!!! I can see that I will probably burn out my cheapie stand mixer quickly, then maybe Hubby will let me get a Kitchen Aid!

GG

I will try the "killer" bread next. I watched his video the other day and wanted to make that one as well. I used to make all my own bread but I now have carpel tunnel in both wrists so kneeding became impossible. It is so great to find I can bake bread again. Thanks to all.

Hand issues here as well, so it is no-knead or stand mixer for me as well. I love that I can use the stand mixer to knead bread dough and end up with a great textured bread!
GG

GG

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Whole Wheat Bread

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:54 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum