Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by sanderson Today at 10:27 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 10:05 pm

» Winter Reading, Anyone?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:02 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:49 pm

» Sprouted Onion Question
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:45 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 7:37 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Today at 6:11 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 6:07 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 6:00 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by sanderson Today at 5:58 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Today at 5:49 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by plantoid Today at 5:47 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 5:05 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 4:56 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by llama momma Today at 2:16 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by llama momma Today at 1:59 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by Ginger Blue Today at 1:57 pm

by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:24 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 2:14 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Compostost?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Compostost?

Post  bluelineranch on 11/6/2012, 1:37 am

There is a local place that sells a compost mixture called Compostost. Their website says that it is "The Original Healthful Soil Amender containing: Cow Manure, Wood Fiber, Leaf Mold, and Grass Clippings" I have horse manure aged and ready to mix. Would this work as my 5 composts? I am an utter newbie so any help is really appreciated!

bluelineranch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Compostost?

Post  quiltbea on 11/6/2012, 1:58 pm

Welcome to the forum.
I would say that its a good start. I would still keep my eye open for something different to add to the compost. If you have a pile going, add your kitchen trimmings, newspaper, cardboard, dry leaves, microwaved eggshells, coffee grounds and toss in the manure and that Compostost. Stir and leave til next spring but keep adding kitchen leavings and old leaves if you have them.
More is always better when it comes to compost.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch on 11/6/2012, 3:08 pm

I would go ahead and use if you can open a bag and see what the wood fiver looks like...if it looks like it would break down over the winter in the comost pile, ok...if it is chunks of wood, then pass.

landarch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 11/6/2012, 5:18 pm

@bluelineranch wrote:There is a local place that sells a compost mixture called Compostost. Their website says that it is "The Original Healthful Soil Amender containing: Cow Manure, Wood Fiber, Leaf Mold, and Grass Clippings" I have horse manure aged and ready to mix. Would this work as my 5 composts? I am an utter newbie so any help is really appreciated!

@bluelineranch wrote:Would this work as my 5 composts?
No. The The Original Healthful Soil Amender would be one, and horse manure makes two. I would try to find at least three more.

I am my gardens worst enemy.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 3879

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 11/6/2012, 6:07 pm

Hi BLR ,
Welcome to the site .

Have you seen the compost section on the home page menu . If not ......it is the sixth one down on the central list. There is a lot to read but it is in my opinion well worth it , for it gives you a lot of info from which you should be able to form your own sound ideas .

One place that can give you a better break down of materials you can use and a method of using them is " The Berkley 18 day hot composting method

Do you run to using the " All New Square Foot Gardening " book by Mel Bartholomew 2006 edition ?
If not it is a real eye opener for most folk and well worth getting hold of one , for it is the whole ethos of the site and how we tend to do things. Mel also gives lists of materials you can use in composting in the book . They are contained in chapter five " The Backbone of The Square Foot Gardening Method ...... pages 87 through to 106

As said previouisly , watch out for commercially bagged composts that tend to have high levels or several different forms of partly composted woody material in the same bag for they throw the mix formula out and it can give disappointing results .

plantoid

Male Posts : 3638

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Correction

Post  bluelineranch on 11/6/2012, 10:59 pm

The Compostost is not a bagged compost. It is a mix that a local garden supplier makes. I looked at the individual components that they mix and the individual components are then mixed on site when you order. The parts are composted. It comes by the cubic yard and they mix in equal parts of the 4 components. I have my compost pile started but it is definitely in the beginning stages. My manure pile (with hay added) has been cooking for a few months now and should be going by spring. I do have the book and that was where I learned about the 5 components. I am just trying to go not bagged if I can.
My original post wasn't very clear. Sorry Sad

bluelineranch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch on 11/7/2012, 12:51 am

If the parts are composted then you really shouldn't be able to discern all the different parts when mixed...it should all look consistently like soil.

I think you would be fine either adding it to your existing compost pile or keeping it separate for use next spring.

landarch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 11/7/2012, 6:34 am

@bluelineranch wrote:The Compostost is not a bagged compost. It is a mix that a local garden supplier makes. I looked at the individual components that they mix and the individual components are then mixed on site when you order. The parts are composted. It comes by the cubic yard and they mix in equal parts of the 4 components. I have my compost pile started but it is definitely in the beginning stages. My manure pile (with hay added) has been cooking for a few months now and should be going by spring. I do have the book and that was where I learned about the 5 components. I am just trying to go not bagged if I can.

Are you looking for advice as a total newbie like your first post indicated? If so, find three more composts. The success or failure of your garden depends on the quality of the ingredients you put into it.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 11/7/2012, 7:22 am

If compostost is heavy in one item and very short in all the others then it's easy to see how you should continue to add a variety of other items. I agree with Quitbea, add more things to it. We've seen this scenerio before so if it were me I'd treat it as one ingredient unless there was proof of content analysis. But usually there isn't.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4648

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef on 11/7/2012, 8:58 am

@RoOsTeR wrote:
@bluelineranch wrote:The Compostost is not a bagged compost. It is a mix that a local garden supplier makes. I looked at the individual components that they mix and the individual components are then mixed on site when you order. The parts are composted. It comes by the cubic yard and they mix in equal parts of the 4 components. I have my compost pile started but it is definitely in the beginning stages. My manure pile (with hay added) has been cooking for a few months now and should be going by spring. I do have the book and that was where I learned about the 5 components. I am just trying to go not bagged if I can.

Are you looking for advice as a total newbie like your first post indicated? If so, find three more composts. The success or failure of your garden depends on the quality of the ingredients you put into it.
I'll grant you that more compost varieties is better. That said, if Blue can visit the garden center and see 4 different piles of different compost that are then mixed in equal parts on-site and sold as an altogether new product ...its still made of 4 composts and should count as such. There won't be any harm in finding new varieties to add to the mix, so the advice there is sound ...but if the goal is only 5 kinds of compost, then it seems to me reasonable to be on the lookout for only 1 more variety.

If Blue has laid eyes on 4 different compost heaps each made of different components, logic dictates that to meet the "letter of the law" (_The All New SFG Handbook_ in this instance), (s)he only needs to locate 1 additional compost variety.

bwaynef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 11/7/2012, 9:46 am

Iif I were in this position, I would be looking for more than one other type of compost. As ROoster said, the success of your garden is a direct result of your growing mix fertility.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  petunia52 on 11/7/2012, 10:11 am

@quiltbea wrote:Welcome to the forum.
I would say that its a good start. I would still keep my eye open for something different to add to the compost. If you have a pile going, add your kitchen trimmings, newspaper, cardboard, dry leaves, microwaved eggshells, coffee grounds and toss in the manure and that Compostost. Stir and leave til next spring but keep adding kitchen leavings and old leaves if you have them.
More is always better when it comes to compost.

@quiltbea
You mentioned "microwaved eggshells", I have just been crushing mine, what does the microwave do for them?

petunia52

Female Posts : 44

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 11/7/2012, 10:24 am

It kills any animal pathogens, like salmonella, you don't want in your compost. I just put mine in the mwave about 2 mins on high to be sure.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  petunia52 on 11/7/2012, 10:33 am

@quiltbea wrote:It kills any animal pathogens, like salmonella, you don't want in your compost. I just put mine in the mwave about 2 mins on high to be sure.

Thanks so much for the tip, I will do that from now on. Wink

petunia52

Female Posts : 44

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef on 11/7/2012, 11:42 am

@camprn wrote:Iif I were in this position, I would be looking for more than one other type of compost. As ROoster said, the success of your garden is a direct result of your growing mix fertility.

More is always better. What I'm having a hard time understanding is WHY the 4 different kinds of compost that go in equal parts to make this product are somehow any less than 4 kinds of compost as it would relate to MM, assuming they're each of decent quality (which we've been given no reason to believe they're not).

bwaynef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 11/7/2012, 11:45 am

Bwayne, I thought you did figure that it was fine for you and your garden. I am trying to understand why you remain conflicted.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

camprn

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 11/7/2012, 11:56 am

Quote ------ assuming they're each of decent quality (which we've been given no reason to believe they're not).
End Quote

I think that's the entire issue right there. Is it quality or isn't it? It comes down to gambling on someone else's compost effort or trusting what you add yourself. Then planting and waiting to see how well it grows. I would rather trust the ingredients I add myself.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4648

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 11/7/2012, 12:03 pm

Wood fiber and leaf mold are fine things, similar in nutrient content to peat. So while I think they are wonderful in the compost as a brown, and make a fine peat substitute in a bed, I would not think of them as being a good supplier of nutrients for future crops. They are going to skew your results toward that of a mix with half again too much peat. So over compensate with your horse compost and poultry compost if you it is easy to find (very high N and Ca) and find something like that lobster stuff Camprn drools about. Something from a very different source like the ocean adds all sorts of micronutrients as well as the NPK. Kelp meal is another easy to find component for that result.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast

Turan

Female Posts : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 11/7/2012, 12:18 pm

@Turan wrote:and find something like that lobster stuff Camprn drools about. Something from a very different source like the ocean adds all sorts of micronutrients as well as the NPK. Kelp meal is another easy to find component for that result.
drooling

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  bluelineranch on 11/7/2012, 12:46 pm

Thanks to everyone for the responses.
OK. I am a newbie but not an idiot.

"Are you looking for advice as a total newbie like your first post indicated? If so, find three more composts. The success or failure of your garden depends on the quality of the ingredients you put into it."

According to the book (New SFG) no more than 20% of the mix should individually be Straw, Hay (including salt hay), leaves, grass clippings, old sod, rejected garden produce, peels, newspaper, eggshells, stable or poultry manure, tea bags. no more than 10% each of; corn cobs, shredded twigs, shredded bark, pine needles, hedge trimmings, wood shavings, sawdust, coffee grounds and peanut sells.

My mix would have at this point:
20 % Cow Manure
10% Wood Fiber (I would drop from 20%)
20 % Leaf Mold
20% Grass Clippings
20% horse manure (My addition)
10% hay (my addition)
Plus my kitchen compost (no percentage at this point)

These are the basics to start that I was asking about. The start not the final compost. I guess I am confused as to why each component, since I will WATCH THEM MIX IT to my specs, will not count as an individual components like it would if I bought each individually and mixed it myself.

I found a source for coffee grounds, tea bags and rejected produce which I will add to my compost pile for spring to be mixed with the other components. I also have a kitchen compost tumbler that I will be adding from.

I don't mean to be snappy but I am beginning to regret even asking the question.

bluelineranch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 11/7/2012, 1:08 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Blue....
Some folks like to way over think things... for me, if is vegetative matter and it will eventually rot, it is good compost fodder.The more the merrier and the more diverse the nutrients. It sounds to me like you have a pretty good list of ingredients.

So, regarding asking a question on the forum, this is pretty normal procedure... no worries. hiddenID What a Face

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 11/7/2012, 1:15 pm

Crowd sourcing gardening questions can be a cloudy proposal. smiles

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast

Turan

Female Posts : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef on 11/7/2012, 1:33 pm

@camprn wrote:Bwayne, I thought you did figure that it was fine for you and your garden. I am trying to understand why you remain conflicted.

I didn't start the thread, and its not my garden in question. I'm not conflicted about whether I should use this "compostost". I'm just wondering why the advice being given doesn't logically follow what was said in Mel's book regarding 5 types of compost. Blue's found 4.

bwaynef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 11/7/2012, 1:50 pm

@bwaynef wrote:
@camprn wrote:Bwayne, I thought you did figure that it was fine for you and your garden. I am trying to understand why you remain conflicted.

I didn't start the thread, and its not my garden in question. I'm not conflicted about whether I should use this "compostost". I'm just wondering why the advice being given doesn't logically follow what was said in Mel's book regarding 5 types of compost. Blue's found 4.
I read it as an opinion and not a rule.

Regardless, Blue is the one to make the choice.

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 11/7/2012, 3:20 pm

Here's my .02 for whatever that's worth...if you're getting this compost from the same place, my guess is that for the most part the ingredients to make the compost will be all relatively the same. For my money, time, and effort I would rather err on the safe side and obtain different composts from different resources. Many of us on this forum have heard this time and time again. Skimp now, and wonder why your garden and the intensive gardening style isn't paying off later.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:12 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top