Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by llama momma Today at 4:33 pm

» Another item for composting.
by llama momma Today at 4:04 pm

» New England September 2016
by RJARPCGP Today at 3:58 pm

» compost thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 1:10 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 1:06 pm

» mulching
by dstack Today at 12:27 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by Cajun Cappy Today at 11:45 am

» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by Kelejan Today at 11:42 am

» Mid-Atl - Oct 2016 - Fall Garden 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 9:32 am

» Medical Topic...may be helpful to some folk....
by jimmy cee Today at 9:03 am

» When is a great time to start a garden? The Fall!
by MrBooker Today at 6:05 am

» The Research Journey:what to plant now, fall gardening in Dallas-Ft worth
by has55 Today at 3:21 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by Kelejan Today at 12:22 am

» NEW ENGLAND OCT 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:02 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by Turan Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» leggy potatoes plants were started too early in the hous
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:31 pm

» EXPERIMENT: Tomatoes to Powder
by llama momma Yesterday at 1:58 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Kelejan Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:08 am

» Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh!
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:03 am

» Mix for making soil blocks
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 7:54 am

» soil testing
by Kelejan 9/23/2016, 9:26 pm

» Kale Question
by countrynaturals 9/23/2016, 9:15 pm

» Terrible News: Bumblebees In Trouble
by Scorpio Rising 9/23/2016, 8:51 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by Scorpio Rising 9/23/2016, 8:49 pm

» A traditional German dish with a Fall twist.
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:38 pm

» Apparently Radishes Need Sun
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:22 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 5:49 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by trolleydriver 9/22/2016, 8:27 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Compostost?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Compostost?

Post  plantoid on 11/7/2012, 3:22 pm

@bwaynef wrote:
@camprn wrote:Bwayne, I thought you did figure that it was fine for you and your garden. I am trying to understand why you remain conflicted.

I didn't start the thread, and its not my garden in question. I'm not conflicted about whether I should use this "compostost". I'm just wondering why the advice being given doesn't logically follow what was said in Mel's book regarding 5 types of compost. Blue's found 4.

I feel it is much to do with getting a big spread of nutrients in the final composted mixtures .

if you can try & look up the NPK values of your materials

I have pig, goat,sheep ,horse , cow , steer ,chicken , turkey , rabbit, goose & duck dung plus associated beddings as my manure content for my home made compost and have added uncooked kitchen veg & fruit waste along with two bales of straw ( not hay to many seeds ) and all the waste out my square foot beds including three harvests of my comfrey.
The levels of NPK will be fairly high but what is also important is that they will continue to be released as the materials decompose further after being put in the beds thus giving my veg and flowers a fantastic long term slow release source of readily available nutrients & trace elements .
Those trace elements I mention are not usually found in a narrow spectrum of commercial composts .

Check out the gallery tag in the green header band of the page and look at my big stuff picture in it .. I would have never ever had such crops on a four type compost in my MM .

plantoid

Male Posts : 3591

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef on 11/7/2012, 4:15 pm

@RoOsTeR wrote:Here's my .02 for whatever that's worth...if you're getting this compost from the same place, my guess is that for the most part the ingredients to make the compost will be all relatively the same.

With that information tempering the initial replies, my take on the discussion would certainly have been altered. Thank for coming back to add that to the discussion as well as my (and others'?) understanding. That reasoning is quite clear now.

Perhaps some guidelines as to what to look for in quality compost would help as well.

bwaynef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 11/7/2012, 5:34 pm

That's a massive subject , it could take months to explore .

Each plant has slightly differing needs ,using a very varied group of basic materials in your composting will allow you to use the shotgun approach & because of the large range of nutrients and trace elements being made available in such a well made compost as it decays further your far more likely to have some nutrients and trace elements available at some stage of the life of the compost whilst it is being used for growing your crops in .

People who grow giant specimen plants and veg usually make up an artifical growing medium that often contains some thujng to anchor the plant in & varying amounts of fishmeal & or bits & bobs , sea weed calcium animal manures and a massive straw bed as well as gallons of home made liquid feed which they are not so pleased to reveal how it is made or what it is made of.
There is a chart some where that shows the availability of plant foods available at differing soil pH levels ( parts Hydrogen ) it covers much more stuff than this short list
Your aim is to get the materials together to be able to produce the compost your crop needs ( mine is for mainly roots and brassicas ..it's your choice as to what you use due nto what you want to grow ..

As suggested in " The Berkley 18 day hot composting method " there are long lists of suitable materials . ( use a search engine to find it aand have a real good read )
If you have access to these materials your half way there .

if not you'll have to take virtually pot luck and buy in stuff and hope that over the next year or so you will be able to start makng your own compost to your own recipe.

Ph and nutrient availability .

pH 5 iron , boron manganese and potassium are easily found
pH 5.5 as previous but nitrogen starts to rise as well .
Ph 6 phosphorous comes on stream
pH 6.5 iron magnesium & boron start to decrease
pH 7 nitrogen, phosorous & potassium are about max level

pH 7.5 potassium at max nitrogen max and all others tailing off .

Some materials bring copper & selenium into the composts though these are usually from animal based manures with the animals eating a vast range of different of feeds . Comfrey is an amazing plant that brings all sorts of very valuable micro nutrients into compost

Ph 4.5 is an acid compost , pH 7.5 is alkaline
Veg tend like the mid range in most cases which is 5.5 to 7

Somewhere in the compost section of threads & posts I have posted what N ,P & K do with respect to plant development .

plantoid

Male Posts : 3591

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Compostost

Post  LenaG on 3/29/2013, 9:34 pm

To blueline -

I messaged Mel with the same question, so if i hear from him I'll let you know. I would guess if you live close enough to Bricko Farms in Augusta (the makers of Compostost) you could also buy some of their Kricket Krap (R) to mix in as one of the ingredients. They're running a special till the end of the month if you have need of a lot of compost (sale is on the u-haul by the cubic yard ~$29). Personally I only need one bag or so and I was going to add some mushroom compost that I found at Lowes for $5/40 lb bag. Very Happy

For the rest - I'll post the answer if I get one.

LenaG

Female Posts : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:04 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum