Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 5:05 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 4:56 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by countrynaturals Today at 4:27 pm

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Today at 4:19 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Today at 3:18 pm

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 2:25 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by llama momma Today at 2:20 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by llama momma Today at 2:16 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by llama momma Today at 1:59 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by Ginger Blue Today at 1:57 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 8:21 am

» New Member
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:24 am

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:20 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:09 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 2:14 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Corn per square

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Corn per square

Post  greatgranny on 7/17/2013, 4:37 pm

@camprn wrote:2 years in a row. pfft......If it was me, I would plant the corn out of the SFG.......

Well, camprn, if I was 20 years younger, maybe. A total of 64 plants down the tubes. I could see it failing one year but two in a row and planted in different boxes each year makes me wonder.

Weird. All of my other plants are doing great. Well, maybe not the brocs because it is so hot right now. We went from winter to summer here. Not a total loss though. Everything else is doing great. So, see why I am saying that the corn thing needs to be re-thought for my situation.

greatgranny

Female Posts : 634
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Central Minnesota - Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Corn per square

Post  southern gardener on 7/17/2013, 5:57 pm

@greatgranny wrote:
@camprn wrote:2 years in a row. pfft......If it was me, I would plant the corn out of the SFG.......

Well, camprn, if I was 20 years younger, maybe.  A total of 64 plants down the tubes.  I could see it failing one year but two in a row and planted in different boxes each year makes me wonder.

Weird.  All of my other plants are doing great.  Well, maybe not the brocs because it is so hot right now.  We went from winter to summer here.  Not a total loss though.  Everything else is doing great.  So, see why I am saying that the corn thing needs to be re-thought for my situation.

I'm with you greatgranny. We have converted almost all our beds to SFG, so planting out of the SFG isn't much help, especially since you're supposed to plant lots of corn for pollination. We just harvested some corn out of our second box of corn. So far most of the ears have been about 3" long and puny Sad The beans grew up the stalks nicely, but as far as the corn, another "bust". Big waste of time No What variety of corn did you USED to grow in your row garden? sounds like it was a good kind!!

southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 36
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Corn per square

Post  greatgranny on 7/17/2013, 6:06 pm

@southern gardener wrote:
@greatgranny wrote:
@camprn wrote:2 years in a row. pfft......If it was me, I would plant the corn out of the SFG.......

Well, camprn, if I was 20 years younger, maybe.  A total of 64 plants down the tubes.  I could see it failing one year but two in a row and planted in different boxes each year makes me wonder.

Weird.  All of my other plants are doing great.  Well, maybe not the brocs because it is so hot right now.  We went from winter to summer here.  Not a total loss though.  Everything else is doing great.  So, see why I am saying that the corn thing needs to be re-thought for my situation.

I'm with you greatgranny. We have converted almost all our beds to SFG, so planting out of the SFG isn't much help, especially since you're supposed to plant lots of corn for pollination. We just harvested some corn out of our second box of corn. So far most of the ears have been about 3" long and puny  Sad  The beans grew up the stalks nicely, but as far as the corn, another "bust". Big waste of time No What variety of corn did you USED to grow in your row garden? sounds like it was a good kind!!

I'm not sure what it was but it was not the early one.  I had a huge family to feed so I always planted the late corn.  The ears were larger and the kernels were very deep.  The cobs themselves weren't very large in diameter.  Wish I could remember.

greatgranny

Female Posts : 634
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Central Minnesota - Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Corn per square

Post  southern gardener on 7/17/2013, 7:40 pm

me too!! We've "busted" so far on peaches and cream and Kandy Korn. Hoping for some luck with the Silver Queen. I have a couple of really nice stalks, but the rest seem puny and small. The nice one is the only stalk in about 9 sf, so he's hogging all the goodies from the soil I think!!

southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 36
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Corn per square

Post  greatgranny on 7/17/2013, 7:54 pm

I don't mean to say anything negative because for some of you this method works.  It is just not working for me and maybe some others.  Sometimes it just is what it is.  To have a 4 x 4 totally go to waste when I could have planted lots more root crops or peas or maybe even strawberries is for me the reason that I have made these comments.  

Next year I will totally plan differently.

greatgranny

Female Posts : 634
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Central Minnesota - Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Corn per square

Post  quiltbea on 7/17/2013, 8:08 pm

My Quickie corn is doing pretty well.  I planted purple-podded pole beans with them.

Its looking really healthy so far and about 2 1/2' tall.
I'm finding that some things can't be as close as Mel suggests.  I think corn needs a bit of room so I'd never plant 4 per square.  I've got two per but Quickie only grows about 5 1/2' tall.  I have 12 sqs okf corn in the bed since the north sqs are planted in snap peas which are winding down fast now.
As for Swiss chard and 4 per square, never again.  I think 2 per square is enough.  The leaves get so large they shaded out my peppers planted beside them so they are stunted in size.  I guess I should have left those nearby squares open for late lettuce and spinach instead.
Also the Kale is enormous and in the middle of the bed it shoves other plants out of the way.  They need to be put along the far end of a side square where they can hang over the outside edge.
Tomatoes this year are 3 across a 4' wide north row for better air circulation and are doing better this year than last when they were 4 across.
A gardener just has to learn what works for them individually.  Not everything works the same.  It might be soil factors or climate or rain or heat or a number of things.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613
Join date : 2010-03-21
Age : 74
Location : Southwestern Maine Zone 5A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Corn per square

Post  southern gardener on 7/23/2013, 2:14 pm

Update on our Silver Queen corn. This corn has 9 squares because it's the only one that germinated in that area. It's over 9' tall and has TEN ears on it What a Face ! It has 5 tillers (or whatever they're called) and they're putting off ears too! On the "main stalk" there are two ears growing out of the same leaf "crotch". One ear is getting close to ready. I just hope it's pollinated! It looks to be about 10"-12" long :)We have had to hand pollinate since it doesn't have many neighbors lol happy smile

southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 36
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Corn per square

Post  sanderson on 7/23/2013, 3:15 pm

SG - Amazing! Can you post a photo? When my husband was still at his parent's home in MO, they raised corn for fodder. One ear, maybe 2 here and there, per plant.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12299
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Corn per square

Post  southern gardener on 7/23/2013, 5:31 pm

Here's as close up as I can get to get most of the ears in the pic. The ear(s) in the middle of the pic is where there are two ears growing out of the "crotch" of a leaf. That big ear is about 10-12" long Smile


southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 36
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Corn per square

Post  gwennifer on 7/24/2013, 12:11 am

@southern gardener wrote:...We have had to hand pollinate since it doesn't have many neighbors...
Hey southern, we planted such a small amount (five per barrel - three barrels worth) it was recommended we hand pollinate. How do you do it? The website I was on recommended running a bamboo pole up and down each stalk...?

gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1413
Join date : 2011-05-11
Location : Vancouver, WA

View user profile http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Corn per square

Post  southern gardener on 7/24/2013, 2:42 am

@gwennifer wrote:
@southern gardener wrote:...We have had to hand pollinate since it doesn't have many neighbors...
Hey southern, we planted such a small amount (five per barrel - three barrels worth) it was recommended we hand pollinate.  How do you do it?  The website I was on recommended running a bamboo pole up and down each stalk...?
Gwennifer: Last year, I ran my hand over the tassels and "caught" the pollen in my hands and then sprinkled the pollen on the silks. We had pretty good pollination results, but the pollen was so "light" it blew out of my hands as I was trying to remove it from the tassel, so a lot was wasted.  This year, I pulled off a piece of the tassel, and used it as a "wand" of sorts to pollinate. I read where you could pollinate up to 15 ears this way! Well, the cobs were SO tiny...about 3-4 inches, and the pollination didn't seem to work as well (lots of "empty" kernels); so not sure if that method worked. Those plants were tiny, stunted and ugly...so not really a good example. I'm trying the "pulling a piece of the tassel" thing with this big plant, so I think it will give me a better idea. I'm so tempted to peak and see what's going on inside the ear!!!  A few more days and I'll know I think!! hyper hyper hungry drooling

southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 36
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Corn per square

Post  sanderson on 7/24/2013, 12:25 pm

SC - I'll be watching for your results. I don't know what ""pulling a piece of the tassel" thing" is but I will look it up. I am so tempted to try a couple squares of corn.



sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12299
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Corn per square

Post  southern gardener on 7/24/2013, 12:55 pm

@sanderson wrote:SC  -  I'll be watching for your results.  I don't know what ""pulling a piece of the tassel" thing" is but I will look it up.  I am so tempted to try a couple squares of corn.



LOL. It's not a technical term, l'll try to explain. The tassel is sort of "star" shaped. i pull off one of the legs of the star with dry pollen on it, and tap the silks with it. the pollen falls off onto the silks. Like I said, I tried pulling off the pollen in my hands, but they're so light, they blew all over and I wasted a lot of it. I'll post a pic of the big ear when it's ready Smile Im HOPING that there's kernels!!

southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 36
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Corn per square

Post  quiltbea on 7/24/2013, 1:50 pm

I've read (and seen a video) of farmers tying brown lunch bags around the tassels overnite and when the pollen falls in the morning, it drops inside the bags.  Untie the bags and shake the pollen over the silks below and nearby for full ears.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613
Join date : 2010-03-21
Age : 74
Location : Southwestern Maine Zone 5A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Corn per square

Post  quiltbea on 7/24/2013, 2:07 pm


Here is a video showing not only how to pollinate your corn, but how to save a clear strain of corn for the following year.  This bagging method should also deter corn borers from your silks.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613
Join date : 2010-03-21
Age : 74
Location : Southwestern Maine Zone 5A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Corn per square

Post  Triciasgarden on 7/24/2013, 6:16 pm

That is a good video and so thorough!  I wonder how we can do that to the corn in the middle of our beds.  Maybe carefully moving plants aside.

Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 61
Location : Northern Utah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Corn per square

Post  quiltbea on 7/24/2013, 7:56 pm

Tricia....You can sprinkle some of the pollen from one of the outer tassels across the silks in the inner rows.  As long as its the same variety, it will work just fine.


Last edited by quiltbea on 7/24/2013, 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling only)

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613
Join date : 2010-03-21
Age : 74
Location : Southwestern Maine Zone 5A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Corn per square

Post  Triciasgarden on 7/24/2013, 8:16 pm

Great idea!

Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 61
Location : Northern Utah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Corn per square

Post  southern gardener on 7/24/2013, 10:43 pm

@quiltbea wrote:Tricia....You can sprinkle some of the pollen from one of the outer tassels across the silks in the inner rows.  As long as its the same variety, it will work just fine.

it has to be the same variety? What a Face What a Face 

southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 36
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Corn per square

Post  southern gardener on 7/25/2013, 7:51 pm

welp...we picked our corn SUCCESS!!! I'm putting it in the "look what we picked" thread Very Happy Very Happy 

southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 36
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Corn per square

Post  southern gardener on 9/21/2013, 5:02 pm

update on the corn. I'm not sure if this is the right thread or not...but anyway....We planted another 64 plants in a SFG bed without the weedcloth on the bottom to see if there way any difference. the last planting WITH weedcloth was terrible. tiny ears about the size of my thumb at best. We just harvested some from the bed without the weedcloth, and the ears were about doubled the size of the others, but still not huge. I am thinking 4 per square is just too much, but it's definitely better (for us) with the open bottomed beds. By far, though, the best was the one stalk that was in 9" of MM with one plant per NINE squares. This is a FYI only...

southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 36
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Corn per square

Post  quiltbea on 9/21/2013, 10:42 pm

Southern....Too bad about your corn.  I know the feeling.
I planted 12 squares of Quickie corn, 2 per square, and mine were very small and very sparse.  Not all of them pollinated.  They are supposed to be small but I think they were smaller than normal (mine were about 4" but fat).
But they sure tasted good.  I just had the first ears for supper tonite.  Mmmm good.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613
Join date : 2010-03-21
Age : 74
Location : Southwestern Maine Zone 5A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Corn per square

Post  southern gardener on 9/21/2013, 11:55 pm

@quiltbea wrote:Southern....Too bad about your corn.  I know the feeling.
I planted 12 squares of Quickie corn, 2 per square, and mine were very small and very sparse.  Not all of them pollinated.  They are supposed to be small but I think they were smaller than normal (mine were about 4" but fat).
But they sure tasted good.  I just had the first ears for supper tonite.  Mmmm good.
Glad yours was so tasty! Feels good to "grow you own". after planting around 200 corn plants and getting these results, I think it's fair to say, it's not working. We had really good pollination. We hand pollinated in addition to letting nature do it's thing too, just teeny tiny ears. Gonna try a different plan next year Smile

southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 36
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Corn per square

Post  greatgranny on 9/22/2013, 11:55 am

I think for next year I'm going to do 1 or 2 in each square as a trial to see if it does better.  If not, I will either give up all together or maybe till up a spot and go with the row garden thingy.  I don't want to, but I refuse to have a failure when I could have planted more root crops that are easy to store over the winter months.

greatgranny

Female Posts : 634
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Central Minnesota - Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Corn per square

Post  southern gardener on 9/22/2013, 12:17 pm

@greatgranny wrote:I think for next year I'm going to do 1 or 2 in each square as a trial to see if it does better.  If not, I will either give up all together or maybe till up a spot and go with the row garden thingy.  I don't want to, but I refuse to have a failure when I could have planted more root crops that are easy to store over the winter months.
Yep!! I'm with you on that one Smile Good luck and let us know how it goes next year Smile

southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 36
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Corn per square

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:23 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum