Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Bryan Greenbeard of Minnesota's 2017 Plans
by sanderson Today at 2:55 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 2:46 am

» Natural Dying ~ The Thyme to Dye is Coming!
by sanderson Today at 1:46 am

» Tips for compost tumbler
by sanderson Today at 1:42 am

» Lower South May 2017
by mschaef Today at 12:43 am

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Turan Today at 12:42 am

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by Turan Yesterday at 10:26 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017
by Fiz Yesterday at 10:10 pm

» Using Eggshells for your garden
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 10:09 pm

» N&C Midwest: May is here! 2017
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:18 pm

» Amaranth
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 3:09 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:44 pm

» New England May 2017
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:55 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:46 am

» Maritime SGFG 2017
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:29 am

» Strawberry protection
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:27 am

» Planting for the trellis
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:57 am

» Spring BBQ day
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:55 am

» Dandelions - I cut this out of a magazine when I was a teen-
by Scorpio Rising 5/23/2017, 8:02 pm

» Watering System -- Finally!
by countrynaturals 5/23/2017, 3:49 pm

» Slugs and stuff
by CapeCoddess 5/23/2017, 9:56 am

» surprising results from soil test
by sanderson 5/23/2017, 3:29 am

» New in Tennessee
by sanderson 5/23/2017, 3:23 am

» Netting as Barrier
by sanderson 5/23/2017, 3:20 am

» Bumble bees In Trouble
by sanderson 5/23/2017, 3:08 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by Cajun Cappy 5/22/2017, 10:27 pm

» What region am I in now?
by CapeCoddess 5/22/2017, 3:54 pm

» Get Moving!
by trolleydriver 5/22/2017, 12:14 pm

» Friday Rookie Topic: Edible Flowers
by BeetlesPerSqFt 5/22/2017, 11:39 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Will you please "LIKE" me? : )

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Will you please "LIKE" me? : )

Post  sfg4uKim on 11/18/2012, 9:21 pm

I know I haven't been on much lately, but things are going 150 MPH right now.

I am in the process of seeking a small business loan to open a storefront that will hopefully help all of you! Because I don't have a long financial history, I need "supporting documentation". One thing I was told to do is show my business Facebook page to show the number of "likes" thus showing that there is a "support" for my business.

SO, if you would/could, PLEASE "like" my FB page: sfg4u

How will my business benefit you? I will be offering small "per square" packets of certified organic heirloom seeds for as low as 10 cents per packet! Yes, they'll also be available online.

Thanks in advance.

Miss y'all!

Kim

____________________________

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle


sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U



avatar
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1915
Join date : 2010-09-30
Age : 58
Location : Glen Burnie, MD

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Will you please "LIKE" me? : )

Post  mollyhespra on 11/18/2012, 9:42 pm

What a great idea! I just 'liked' you & I'm going to go check out your website. Good luck with the loan!
avatar
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 807
Join date : 2012-09-21
Age : 51
Location : Waaaay upstate, NH (zone 4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Will you please "LIKE" me? : )

Post  boog1 on 11/18/2012, 10:22 pm

Liked ya carrot
avatar
boog1

Male Posts : 260
Join date : 2010-09-01
Age : 60
Location : jackson,mi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Will you please "LIKE" me? : )

Post  Kelejan on 11/19/2012, 3:34 am

I went to your website and clicked on that "Like" tab at the top left-hand corner. Did I do it right? Very Happy
I like your idea of a square of seeds.
avatar
Kelejan

Female Posts : 4827
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 82
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: Will you please "LIKE" me? : )

Post  CindiLou on 11/19/2012, 4:31 am

Liked and good luck!
avatar
CindiLou

Posts : 999
Join date : 2010-08-30
Age : 57
Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Will you please "LIKE" me? : )

Post  Lavender Debs on 11/19/2012, 7:49 am

"Liked"

Have you thought about racks and a small place near your SFG? An e-catalogue with pictures? I am less likely to go to a store than the net. It is early.... I bet you have thought of those already.

The Toy Box Suburban Farm
avatar
Lavender Debs

Posts : 2054
Join date : 2010-03-03
Age : 60
Location : Everett, WA USA

View user profile http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Will you please "LIKE" me? : )

Post  donnainzone5 on 11/19/2012, 11:00 am

Liked you!

I love the idea of small packets of heirloom seeds.

By the way, are the ingredients of your friend's blended compost a proprietary secret?
avatar
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2096
Join date : 2010-03-02
Age : 69
Location : Bend, OR (Zone 5-6)

View user profile http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Re: Will you please "LIKE" me? : )

Post  Icemaiden on 11/19/2012, 12:31 pm

I liked you too!
Maybe people should "share" as well so you get a wider audience?

Icemaiden

Posts : 334
Join date : 2010-04-27
Location : Iceland

View user profile http://squarefootgardening-kate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Will you please "LIKE" me? : )

Post  Triciasgarden on 11/19/2012, 1:34 pm

Great idea! I "liked" you also!
avatar
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 62
Location : Northern Utah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Will you please "LIKE" me? : )

Post  quiltbea on 11/19/2012, 1:52 pm

Sorry, I don't do facebk or twitter, but I like your idea of small packets of seeds for single squares. I hope it takes off. Good luck.
avatar
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4646
Join date : 2010-03-21
Age : 75
Location : Southwestern Maine Zone 5A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Will you please "LIKE" me? : )

Post  yolos on 11/19/2012, 3:01 pm

I am glad I am not the only one that does not do facebook or twitter. I am an addict of just about anything, so I try not to get into anything that would be addictive such as facebook or twitter. But good luck with your venture.

I am a management accountant and have had to do this type of analysis for banks and investors many times. My advice to you is to make sure that your presentation to the bank is more than a "Dog and Pony Show." Be ready to discuss your variable costs per item (seeds, packaging, labor, postage), your fixed costs, and your profit per item and how many items you need to sell to break even and cover your fixed costs and interest/principal.
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3095
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Will you please "LIKE" me? : )

Post  littlejo on 11/19/2012, 4:16 pm

I will say there are about 6 folks in the US that don't do facebook or twitter, my dh and I are 2.
I do like the idea of the seeds in small packs. I got a bunch from Wintersown this yr and it's great, but now I have 25 types of tomatoes, about 8 seeds each.
Hope ya get the loan, but even if not, you could sell the seeds, and prob. will have a lot of sales, with little overhead. Count me in, for I have so many seed packets, with unused seed from yrs gone. It would be so good to buy and not have lots left over.
Jo
avatar
littlejo

Female Posts : 1532
Join date : 2011-05-04
Age : 63
Location : Cottageville SC 8b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Will you please "LIKE" me? : )

Post  sfg4uKim on 11/19/2012, 9:31 pm

@Lavender Debs wrote:"Liked"

Have you thought about racks and a small place near your SFG? An e-catalogue with pictures? I am less likely to go to a store than the net. It is early.... I bet you have thought of those already.

The Toy Box Suburban Farm

I will also be featuring these on my web site, but I was just focusing on getting my loan approved. I teach SFG out of my house and now that hubby is working 12-hour rotating shifts this will be impossible. "Hi, welcome to my home. Please ignore the hairy guy in the towel. He's getting ready for work." Just don't think that will go over too well. LOL

____________________________

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle


sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U



avatar
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1915
Join date : 2010-09-30
Age : 58
Location : Glen Burnie, MD

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Will you please "LIKE" me? : )

Post  sfg4uKim on 11/19/2012, 9:36 pm

donnainzone10 wrote:Liked you!

I love the idea of small packets of heirloom seeds.

By the way, are the ingredients of your friend's blended compost a proprietary secret?

No secret to Justen's compost - it's on his web site:


We start with a
blend of wood chips and food waste to get the right carbon/nitrogen
ratio. Then, we pile the material into large aerated static piles. The
material is kept above 140F
for at least 72-hours straight during the compost process to kill
pathogens and weed seeds. After 90 days of composting and curing, the
compost is screened and ready for sale.
Initially he was using manure, but when he had his compost tested, it kept coming back with small but significant amounts of chemicals. It turns out that the chemicals in the animals' feed wasn't breaking down.

____________________________

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle


sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U



avatar
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1915
Join date : 2010-09-30
Age : 58
Location : Glen Burnie, MD

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Will you please "LIKE" me? : )

Post  sfg4uKim on 11/19/2012, 9:39 pm

@yolos wrote:I am glad I am not the only one that does not do facebook or twitter. I am an addict of just about anything, so I try not to get into anything that would be addictive such as facebook or twitter. But good luck with your venture.

I am a management accountant and have had to do this type of analysis for banks and investors many times. My advice to you is to make sure that your presentation to the bank is more than a "Dog and Pony Show." Be ready to discuss your variable costs per item (seeds, packaging, labor, postage), your fixed costs, and your profit per item and how many items you need to sell to break even and cover your fixed costs and interest/principal.

Thanks. Because of your advice I will go back and "tweak" my business plan and supplemental documentation. I have "some" of this in there, but yours is more exhaustive than I included.

____________________________

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle


sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U



avatar
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1915
Join date : 2010-09-30
Age : 58
Location : Glen Burnie, MD

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Will you please "LIKE" me? : )

Post  sfg4uKim on 11/19/2012, 9:40 pm

@Icemaiden wrote:I liked you too!
Maybe people should "share" as well so you get a wider audience?

This would be WONDERFUL! So if any of you would consider also "SHARING" and encouraging your friends to also like me that really works for me! Very Happy

____________________________

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle


sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U



avatar
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1915
Join date : 2010-09-30
Age : 58
Location : Glen Burnie, MD

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Will you please "LIKE" me? : )

Post  sfg4uKim on 11/19/2012, 9:43 pm

Well my "likes" doubled overnight! Thanks everyone! This has been like getting a huge HUG.

I'm SOOOO excited about this venture. bounce

____________________________

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle


sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U



avatar
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1915
Join date : 2010-09-30
Age : 58
Location : Glen Burnie, MD

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Will you please "LIKE" me? : )

Post  southern gardener on 11/19/2012, 10:34 pm

@sfg4uKim wrote:
donnainzone10 wrote:Liked you!

I love the idea of small packets of heirloom seeds.

By the way, are the ingredients of your friend's blended compost a proprietary secret?

No secret to Justen's compost - it's on his web site:


We start with a
blend of wood chips and food waste to get the right carbon/nitrogen
ratio. Then, we pile the material into large aerated static piles. The
material is kept above 140F
for at least 72-hours straight during the compost process to kill
pathogens and weed seeds. After 90 days of composting and curing, the
compost is screened and ready for sale.
Initially he was using manure, but when he had his compost tested, it kept coming back with small but significant amounts of chemicals. It turns out that the chemicals in the animals' feed wasn't breaking down.

Hi Kim: do you know anything about the chemicals that didn't break down from the animal feed? My mix tested with chemical imbalance of some type.
avatar
southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 36
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Will you please "LIKE" me? : )

Post  Lavender Debs on 11/20/2012, 9:29 am

@sfg4uKim wrote:
@Lavender Debs wrote:"Liked"

Have you thought about racks and a small place near your SFG? An e-catalogue with pictures? I am less likely to go to a store than the net. It is early.... I bet you have thought of those already.

The Toy Box Suburban Farm

I will also be featuring these on my web site, but I was just focusing on getting my loan approved. I teach SFG out of my house and now that hubby is working 12-hour rotating shifts this will be impossible. "Hi, welcome to my home. Please ignore the hairy guy in the towel. He's getting ready for work." Just don't think that will go over too well. LOL
I wish I could make posts disappear. Of course this is about start up and getting FB likes, not peanuts in the gallery ......you will do an awesome job! All the best for you and your amazing idea! Looking forward to watching you grow.
avatar
Lavender Debs

Posts : 2054
Join date : 2010-03-03
Age : 60
Location : Everett, WA USA

View user profile http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Will you please "LIKE" me? : )

Post  sfg4uKim on 11/20/2012, 1:54 pm

@southern gardener wrote:
@sfg4uKim wrote:
donnainzone10 wrote:Liked you!

I love the idea of small packets of heirloom seeds.

By the way, are the ingredients of your friend's blended compost a proprietary secret?

No secret to Justen's compost - it's on his web site:


We start with a
blend of wood chips and food waste to get the right carbon/nitrogen
ratio. Then, we pile the material into large aerated static piles. The
material is kept above 140F
for at least 72-hours straight during the compost process to kill
pathogens and weed seeds. After 90 days of composting and curing, the
compost is screened and ready for sale.
Initially he was using manure, but when he had his compost tested, it kept coming back with small but significant amounts of chemicals. It turns out that the chemicals in the animals' feed wasn't breaking down.

Hi Kim: do you know anything about the chemicals that didn't break down from the animal feed? My mix tested with chemical imbalance of some type.

I don't know, but you could contact him: justen@veterancompost.com

____________________________

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle


sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U



avatar
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1915
Join date : 2010-09-30
Age : 58
Location : Glen Burnie, MD

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Will you please "LIKE" me? : )

Post  sfg4uKim on 11/20/2012, 1:55 pm

Thanks Everyone!

I'm up to 83 likes - double what I had previously!

____________________________

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle


sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U



avatar
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1915
Join date : 2010-09-30
Age : 58
Location : Glen Burnie, MD

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Will you please "LIKE" me? : )

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum