Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 6:25 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:15 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:06 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:01 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 9:08 am

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:09 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 1:28 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Reflecting Sunlight?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reflecting Sunlight?

Post  EggplantWizard on 12/8/2012, 10:28 pm

Hey everyone! I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with reflecting sunlight onto your garden if it's placed in a poorly lit (shaded) area. I want to put Version 2.0 of my garden in an area where (currently) sunlight doesn't start hitting it until around noon. The reason being because I'm anticipating the intense heat and sun during the summer months. Right now it starts getting dark around 5:30 so most of my crops won't get full sun.

I've read that foil is a no-no because it can create hotspots. Mylar is a good reflector, but it seems on the expensive side. Flat white paint with a mold/mildew inhibitor, and white styrofoam are good, cheap alternatives.

How far away can I place the reflective board from my box before the reflected sunlight becomes ineffective?

EggplantWizard

Male Posts : 26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reflecting Sunlight?

Post  plantoid on 12/9/2012, 9:59 am

Perhaps see if you have a light meter reading device or light gradient display on your camera so you can get an indication of general levels around your gardens and recall what grows well & where . Then try the reflectors idea to see if you can replicate those levels on the darkside of the beds .

I've used a couple of big 8x4 foot sheets of 2 inch thick expanded white polystyrene foam sheet insulation before . It was easy to move and fix to some hammered in metal stake . I had it about five feet back from the green house wall so the reflected light reached the shaded tomatoes & peppers.

It seemed to work till the dam goat decided to head butt it to death and then trash the poly tunnel.
He made lovely stews when cooked in with the tomatoes & peppers Wink

plantoid

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo on 12/9/2012, 10:39 am

"It seemed to work till the dam goat decided to head butt it to death and then trash the poly tunnel.
He made lovely stews when cooked in with the tomatoes & peppers"

funny post

I live in SC, and the summer heat is real bad here. I put my garden under a large pine tree. Most of the garden only gets about 5 hrs of direct sun daily, but gets good 'light' . Does grass grow good in the area you want to plant your garden? If grass does not grow, then the garden will not grow, but if grass will grow, then your garden will thank you! The only plant that demands full sun and likes the heat is tomatoes. Maybe you could find a good place for them or look for a shade loving tomato.
Jo

littlejo

Female Posts : 1528

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EggplantWizard on 12/9/2012, 11:02 am

LOL Plantoid! I guess your goat got what was coming to him. XD
Thanks for the input, I've been having trouble online finding someone who reflected natural sunlight rather than using HID's to grow their dope crops. Razz I'll look into buying styrofoam sometime next week.

Yeah grass does grow in that area. It's not totally shaded--actually it's near my wood fence which casts a shadow in that area until about noon. That area gets sunlight after that time. I want to grow tomatoes but I suppose I'll have to buy a Topsy Turvy.

EggplantWizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles on 12/9/2012, 11:21 am

@plantoid wrote:
It seemed to work till the dam goat decided to head butt it to death and then trash the poly tunnel.
He made lovely stews when cooked in with the tomatoes & peppers Wink

That was just too funny my friend! My rib cage is hurting from laughing so hard.

bnoles

Male Posts : 804

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo on 12/9/2012, 12:38 pm

Eggplantwizard,
Here are a few links for tomatos, some list some different varieties that might work.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg041125291528.html

http://www.colostate.edu/Dept/CoopExt/4DMG/VegFruit/vegshady.htm

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg0111231528522.html?15

littlejo

Female Posts : 1528

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 12/9/2012, 12:55 pm

If there's even 4 or 5 hrs of sunlight, maybe red mulch will work.
Its supposed to "increase yields by 20% because it reflects far-red wavelengths into the plant's canopy, triggering photo-synthesis and stimulating rapid growth and development" according to Penn State Univ studies.
Has anyone tried it so we can hear whether that's true? I know they even sell those red tomato trays you place under the tomato plants. Anyone use those before?

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 12/9/2012, 4:52 pm

That's interesting & very useful to observe QB .

Our dog loo area & turd digester set up is a10 x 4 foot 18 inch high small walled enclosure of red engineering brick surounding a 2 foot deep bed of 1/2 inch clean crushed red granite stone chips.
It is just in front of the sunny side of the glasshouse .

I hadn't thought of it as a heat reservior nor an infra red reflector .I'll try to pay greater attention to it in future and see if I notice any advantages from it..

EDIT ....Just after pressing send .....
It occurred to me that ordinary building sand on the floor will also make a heat & light reflector in areas around beds ,so will smoothed off poured concrete pathways .
You could also trial it cheaply by using old white bed linen and setting up a big sheet at an angle of 75% or so to see if there are any measurable light increases as per using a cameras light monitoring device .

plantoid

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 12/9/2012, 9:37 pm

Here in zone 8A we set up buckets of tomatos in both full sun areas and filtered shade areas. During the hottest part of the summer, the shaded areas produced the most tomatos. After the weather cooled off, the full sun area started to produce better but some of the plants had already croaked in the heat. Summer of 2011 all the tomatos croaked in the full sun. Late afternoon sun was brutal.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant on 12/10/2012, 6:10 pm

@EggplantWizard wrote:Hey everyone! I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with reflecting sunlight onto your garden if it's placed in a poorly lit (shaded) area. I want to put Version 2.0 of my garden in an area where (currently) sunlight doesn't start hitting it until around noon. The reason being because I'm anticipating the intense heat and sun during the summer months. Right now it starts getting dark around 5:30 so most of my crops won't get full sun.

I've read that foil is a no-no because it can create hotspots. Mylar is a good reflector, but it seems on the expensive side. Flat white paint with a mold/mildew inhibitor, and white styrofoam are good, cheap alternatives.

How far away can I place the reflective board from my box before the reflected sunlight becomes ineffective?

Most of my beds are 2x8s up against a wood fence where they get shade from the fence a good portion of the day. Doesn't seem to hurt growth, even during the winter. Right now I've got peas both there and in an area that gets more sun, and I haven't seen a difference in growth.

elliephant

Female Posts : 842

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EggplantWizard on 12/15/2012, 3:01 pm

Thanks for the info everyone. The sun seems to be hitting my box a bit more now since the days have gone by. I haven't tried my sunlight reflecting project yet. I guess I'll start planting some shade friendly crops and hold off on the others until the sun is more centered above the sky.

EggplantWizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:08 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum