Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hello from San Antonio, Tx.
by sanderson Today at 12:53 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 12:40 am

» 17 Everyday Things You've Been Doing Wrong
by has55 Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 9:23 pm

» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:27 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:19 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by Robbomb116 Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:43 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by Kelejan Yesterday at 3:17 pm

» Newbie composting questions
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 11:59 am

» compost thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 10:45 am

» Mid-South: October 2016
by yolos Yesterday at 10:36 am

» In between
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2016, 8:33 pm

» Tomato Mystery Mix
by sanderson 9/28/2016, 11:26 am

» Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara
by trolleydriver 9/28/2016, 11:03 am

» newbeone
by Cajun Cappy 9/28/2016, 8:59 am

» The Research Journey:free-The Gardener’s Guide TO PERFECT GARDEN SOIL
by has55 9/28/2016, 6:40 am

» parsnips in square foot garden?
by sanderson 9/28/2016, 2:57 am

» The SFG Journey-Cover crops
by jimmy cee 9/27/2016, 9:45 pm

» Oh no! My hibiscus moscheutos plant has some roots exposed!
by RJARPCGP 9/27/2016, 9:37 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by Mimi2 9/27/2016, 8:12 pm

» New England September 2016
by sanderson 9/27/2016, 7:50 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by sanderson 9/27/2016, 2:57 pm

» Compost
by camprn 9/27/2016, 8:13 am

» Hand Pollination ?
by camprn 9/27/2016, 8:11 am

» The Research Journey:SELF-WATERING SALAD GARDEN COURSE
by has55 9/26/2016, 6:58 pm

» Admin back! Classic cars
by AtlantaMarie 9/26/2016, 5:38 pm

» Kale & Parsnip Question
by countrynaturals 9/26/2016, 3:09 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Compost Calculator C:N ratios

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Compost Calculator C:N ratios

Post  yolos on 12/11/2012, 11:33 pm

I do not know if anyone has used the following calculator to determine the optimum mix of ingredients for the compost pile. But it is fairly instructive and interesting.

Try entering the following: 18 cuft of leaves, loose and 9 cuft of grass, loose. In the box it will show the C:N ratio of close to 30:1 (which is ideal).

Also, down below the information box is a link (About this Compost Mix Calculator) to a good explanation of the calculator.

http://www.klickitatcounty.org/solidwaste/fileshtml/organics/compostCalc.htm


yolos

Female Posts : 2790
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 66
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost Calculator C:N ratios

Post  camprn on 12/12/2012, 6:58 am

That's cool! Thanks for posting!! okay

____________________________

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!


camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13981
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost Calculator C:N ratios

Post  Kelejan on 12/12/2012, 8:13 am

This looks as though this is going to be a very useful tool.
I put in the 64cf of compacted leaves I have collected this fall, and added the approx 15 cf of loose grass. As expected the ratio was about 47:1. I then added the estimated amount of vegetable and other stuff I have added, and brought it down to about 40:1.
In the spring I will turn my pile and add all the collected food waste/coffee grounds etc that I am collecting in my freezer over the winter.
The pile is frozen now until the spring, and it will be interesting to see how things work out, now I have a target to aim for with the 30:1 ratio.

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4225
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 81
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost Calculator C:N ratios

Post  plantoid on 12/12/2012, 7:42 pm

Thanks for the calculator , I've had a play with it.

Run up several lists and then just put the totals in on the final calculation check to get a better idea.

Initially my whole animal dung based manures & beddding compost gave a ratio of around 20 but once I added other materials like chopped dry leaf, straw ,sawdust ( wood chip ) , kitchen veg waste & paper if was pointing to 40 ish .

plantoid

Male Posts : 3595
Join date : 2011-11-09
Age : 65

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost Calculator C:N ratios

Post  floyd1440 on 12/15/2012, 6:34 am

Thanks for the calculator!!!! Very nice tool to help plan as now I know what to add this spring to all my shreaded leaves I collected this past fall. Have a question however.

My next door neighbor has had his garden for over 30 years and all he does to his 20x30 plot is add about 6-8 inches of leaves every fall and tills them in every spring and he has great soil and crops as well; then he uses grass clipping to mulch around his plants. Am I over thinking my composting methods?


floyd1440

Male Posts : 786
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 62
Location : Washington, Pa. Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost Calculator C:N ratios

Post  bnoles on 12/15/2012, 7:16 am

@Kelejan wrote:In the spring I will turn my pile and add all the collected food waste/coffee grounds etc that I am collecting in my freezer over the winter.
The pile is frozen now until the spring, and it will be interesting to see how things work out, now I have a target to aim for with the 30:1 ratio.

Just curious why you are storing your waste in the freezer if your pile is frozen. Why not just store it in the pile?

bnoles

Male Posts : 804
Join date : 2012-08-16
Location : North GA Mountains Zone 7A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost Calculator C:N ratios

Post  Kelejan on 12/15/2012, 7:23 am

@bnoles wrote:
@Kelejan wrote:In the spring I will turn my pile and add all the collected food waste/coffee grounds etc that I am collecting in my freezer over the winter.
The pile is frozen now until the spring, and it will be interesting to see how things work out, now I have a target to aim for with the 30:1 ratio.

Just curious why you are storing your waste in the freezer if your pile is frozen. Why not just store it in the pile?
Partly because the stuff I am saving is being prepared for my worms that I hope are surviving in my pile during the winter.
As the pile is frozen, I can only put my new stuff on top of the pile.
I also want to weigh everything before I turn it in the spring so that I can calculate my ratios.

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4225
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 81
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost Calculator C:N ratios

Post  bnoles on 12/15/2012, 8:08 am

Thanks! That makes perfect sense.

bnoles

Male Posts : 804
Join date : 2012-08-16
Location : North GA Mountains Zone 7A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost Calculator C:N ratios

Post  plantoid on 12/15/2012, 1:40 pm

@floyd1440 wrote:Thanks for the calculator!!!! Very nice tool to help plan as now I know what to add this spring to all my shreaded leaves I collected this past fall. Have a question however.

My next door neighbor has had his garden for over 30 years and all he does to his 20x30 plot is add about 6-8 inches of leaves every fall and tills them in every spring and he has great soil and crops as well; then he uses grass clipping to mulch around his plants. Am I over thinking my composting methods?


Floyd , sounds like you've been drinking lots of those beer mugs and gone back to old fashioned row gardening thinking Wink

What your friend is doing , will over time build up the soil , but it will also contain lots of slow to rot material that will use up some of the nitrogen that could be used by the plants instead .

Being tree leaf matter it wil, contain all sorts of nutrients but making a vary varied compost as per Mel's suggestions will have many more nutirents available and other trace elements not normally found in simple composted leaves .

That's why Mel suggests it and why I have had some massive quality veg out my beds ( check out the gallery .... big veg stuff )

plantoid

Male Posts : 3595
Join date : 2011-11-09
Age : 65

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost Calculator C:N ratios

Post  camprn on 12/15/2012, 3:08 pm

@plantoid wrote:
@floyd1440 wrote:Thanks for the calculator!!!! Very nice tool to help plan as now I know what to add this spring to all my shreaded leaves I collected this past fall. Have a question however.

My next door neighbor has had his garden for over 30 years and all he does to his 20x30 plot is add about 6-8 inches of leaves every fall and tills them in every spring and he has great soil and crops as well; then he uses grass clipping to mulch around his plants. Am I over thinking my composting methods?


Floyd , sounds like you've been drinking lots of those beer mugs and gone back to old fashioned row gardening thinking Wink

What your friend is doing , will over time build up the soil , but it will also contain lots of slow to rot material that will use up some of the nitrogen that could be used by the plants instead .

Being tree leaf matter it wil, contain all sorts of nutrients but making a vary varied compost as per Mel's suggestions will have many more nutirents available and other trace elements not normally found in simple composted leaves .

That's why Mel suggests it and why I have had some massive quality veg out my beds ( check out the gallery .... big veg stuff )
Floyd, I think the key here is that you have a no till garden thus you have to make the compost elsewhere. Or am I being too simple?

Grass clippings from low growing, no seeds grass is excellent mulch in the SFG.

____________________________

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!


camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13981
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost Calculator C:N ratios

Post  Kelejan on 12/15/2012, 6:08 pm

@bnoles wrote:Thanks! That makes perfect sense.

Rw: putting my stuff in the freezer instead of directly on the pile during the winter.
Another good thing that I am appreciating today is that I don't have to go through the snow. It is snowing now, not a lot yet, but it is forecast for the enxt few days. then there is January, February, March and sometimes April. Sad

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4225
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 81
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost Calculator C:N ratios

Post  floyd1440 on 12/16/2012, 5:22 pm

Hey camprn.........

Just saying what my neighbor does works for him but I am all in Mel's method. I have 2 compost bins holding 88 cu ft of compost that I loaded last fall and about 4 cu ft. of leaves on the ground. Seems to me that browns are hard to find in the summer so I fugured I would squirl up on them this past fall.

Needed another pile of greens though

floyd1440

Male Posts : 786
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 62
Location : Washington, Pa. Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost Calculator C:N ratios

Post  camprn on 12/16/2012, 5:30 pm

@floyd1440 wrote:Hey camprn.........

Just saying what my neighbor does works for him but I am all in Mel's method. I have 2 compost bins holding 88 cu ft of compost that I loaded last fall and about 4 cu ft. of leaves on the ground. Seems to me that browns are hard to find in the summer so I fugured I would squirl up on them this past fall.

Needed another pile of greens though
LOL, I know what you mean. In the summer I pile all the grass clippings to save them for when all the dry leaves come in the fall. I tend to do the hot composting once a year when all the leaves come in. For me it's all about planning ahead in the garden. Wink

____________________________

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!


camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13981
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost Calculator C:N ratios

Post  oldgrayfox on 12/18/2012, 4:23 am

thanks for the calculator yolos. i used it to start my first compost pile this past weekend and was quite pleased with myself yesterday to find it has all ready started to cook.

oldgrayfox

Male Posts : 17
Join date : 2012-12-03
Age : 60
Location : tampabay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost Calculator C:N ratios

Post  llama momma on 12/18/2012, 5:02 am

There is nothing wrong with a calculator. But, for those who don't want to mess with the details of a calculator like me, I have been basically - by weight - generally eyeballing and by feel of the shovel weight, adding about equal parts of Nitrogen based ingredients and Carbon based ingredients. This approach evens out your balancing act. The temperature readings are so far right around 140 degrees, making this newbie 2 year experienced composter pretty happy. And for a quick nitrogen fix remember the urine to water dilution of 1 to 20. And leaves are your friends, if you have the space for a leaf corral or two, by all means plan to have those corrals to support your composting efforts. Free and Carbon sources like leaves are great, might as well have your corrals all ready for Fall storage. I'm still breaking open bags and tossing into the corrals.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4584
Join date : 2010-08-20
Age : 59
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost Calculator C:N ratios

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:11 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum