Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Today's Harvest
by sanderson Today at 3:26 am

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by sanderson Today at 3:25 am

» Hello from NE OHIO
by sanderson Today at 3:14 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Today at 3:08 am

» Compost Heaps
by sanderson Today at 3:00 am

» Carrot Week 2017!
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 10:19 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:26 am

» Happy Autumn Equinox
by brianj555 Yesterday at 11:24 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:46 am

» Amaranth
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:44 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 7:25 am

» Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-(
by brianj555 9/21/2017, 9:27 pm

» New England September 2017
by Scorpio Rising 9/21/2017, 7:59 pm

» N&C Midwest - September 2017
by Scorpio Rising 9/21/2017, 7:56 pm

» Spotted Lanternfly: invasive pest "new" to the US
by sanderson 9/21/2017, 1:41 pm

» First red kidney bean harvest....now what?
by AtlantaMarie 9/21/2017, 6:28 am

» Fall Garden?
by sanderson 9/21/2017, 3:28 am

» Bug/Pest Identification....Help!
by Scorpio Rising 9/20/2017, 7:12 pm

» question about Garlic and winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/20/2017, 6:38 pm

» Ginger
by has55 9/20/2017, 2:38 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2017
by Kelejan 9/20/2017, 2:29 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by AtlantaMarie 9/20/2017, 9:08 am

» harvesting wood chips
by Kelejan 9/19/2017, 9:55 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2017
by brianj555 9/19/2017, 7:18 pm

» leeks again
by donnainzone5 9/19/2017, 12:17 pm

» WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins
by has55 9/19/2017, 9:03 am

» My SFG Journey:Returning to the Original Square Foot Garden Method
by has55 9/19/2017, 3:05 am

» Monarch Supporter
by CitizenKate 9/19/2017, 1:43 am

» Birds of the Garden
by countrynaturals 9/18/2017, 11:29 am

» Tomatoes in New England
by Scorpio Rising 9/17/2017, 9:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Ideas for 2013

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ideas for 2013

Post  EBE on 12/20/2012, 3:07 pm

Having just received the first snow here in North Central Missouri, I am starting to think of things I would like to try in 2013.

2012 was pretty much of a dud for my SFG. I don't know if it was the heat or what. Some of the spring and late fall crops turned out alright but everything else stank. I got the following results:

Radishes-grew
Spinach-grew
Lettuce-dud
bush beans-dud
pole beans-dud
pepper plant-dud
kohlrabi-dud
turnips-grew
broccoli-dud
carrots-grew
tomatoes-dud with the exception of mexico midgets

When I watered, I would just give it a good soaking all over with the garden hose. Next year, I am thinking about adding a watering grid made out of PVC or a soaker hose.

I have seen soaker hoses buried and others just laying on top. A question I have with the buried is will it interfere with my root veggies?

What is wrong with just leaving the soaker hose on the surface?

EBE

Male Posts : 5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ideas for 2013

Post  bnoles on 12/20/2012, 6:07 pm

Hi EBE,

Some of your problems were related to unusual weather patterns we experienced all over the country this year and some of your problems may also have been due to less than stellar watering habits.

A soaker hose on the surface would work just as well if not better than a buried one. The most ideal method would be the one that Mel recommends which is hand watering each plant at the base with a cup dipped from a bucket of air temp, chlorine free water that is kept handy to the SFG. Of course many do not have the time nor desire to accomplish this, using Mel's method, so the soaker hose would be the next best method. Just be sure it is not the type that will spray the foliage. I think what you would really need is a "drip irrigation" type hose for lack of a better term.

I too am so looking forward to the 2013 growing season. Already having thoughts of adding a couple more beds to my master plan Very Happy The cold winter months do that to ya... ya know? Shocked

bnoles

Male Posts : 804

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 12/21/2012, 12:21 am

I certainly have some changes to make in 2013.

1) Fewer hours at the Community Garden (Food Pantry rows) and more in my own. I had to neglect mine badly because of time constraints this year and got nowhere near the production of the year before.
2) Growing mostly Hybrid tomatoes this year to try to beat the blights that dropped my production dramatically. Except for my Gilberties and Velvet Reds, most others got blight and succumbed earlier than expected.
3) Getting in a fall crop and establishing a good hoop house for extending my fall harvest next year.

There may be a few more things as time progresses, but for now, my 2013 garden plans are based on those issues.
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4690

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou on 12/23/2012, 12:24 pm

bnoles wrote: The most ideal method would be the one that Mel recommends which is hand watering each plant at the base with a cup dipped from a bucket of air temp, chlorine free water that is kept handy to the SFG.

I agree, I loved how it worked before. But now I have too many sqf to be able to do it with the heat in the 90s-100s. M.S. would have me laying out in the yard lol..

I use the pvc water grids hubby made me late this year. I love them and we are getting the ones done for the rest of the beds this winter. Plus making plans for how to connect the beds so I am no having to switch hose from bed to bed. Will do it that way but it would be easier to have them connected and on a timer lol..
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles on 12/23/2012, 12:36 pm

CindiLou wrote:
bnoles wrote: The most ideal method would be the one that Mel recommends which is hand watering each plant at the base with a cup dipped from a bucket of air temp, chlorine free water that is kept handy to the SFG.

I use the pvc water grids hubby made me late this year. I love them and we are getting the ones done for the rest of the beds this winter. Plus making plans for how to connect the beds so I am no having to switch hose from bed to bed. Will do it that way but it would be easier to have them connected and on a timer lol..

As I sit here planning 4 more 4X4's of my own for the upcoming Spring, I am beginning to think more and more like you Cindi What a Face Very Happy

bnoles

Male Posts : 804

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 12/23/2012, 1:19 pm

CindiLou wrote:
I agree, I loved how it worked before. But now I have too many sqf to be able to do it with the heat in the 90s-100s. M.S. would have me laying out in the yard lol..

I wondered about timers for a long long time. So expensive and no patience to figure out. But a friend gave me a hard shove because I was helping her and she uses them.
Now I have 2 automatic water timers, for 2 zones in the garden. It made a huge difference, with out realizing it I had been under watering for years. And now I can be gone camping during the summer and know the garden is being watered. I use soaker hoses, and tall rainbird impact sprinklers (my area has no problems with droplets of water on foliage or powdery mildew) and a bit of a tangle of hoses and a 4 way hose adapter and lots of Y adapters. I love the idea of the bubbler grid.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan

Female Posts : 2292

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 12/23/2012, 7:15 pm

I was trying to figure out a simpler watering system that doesn't require the hoses and drip systems and timers. I came to the conclusion that I'm going to try using inverted 2-liter bottles buried between every 2 or 4 squares (depending on its water requirements) with caps on but with a small nail hole in the cap and maybe 4 small holes around the body of the bottle aimed at the 4 crops therein. They should ooze water slowly directly to the roots. The bottles could be filled when they run dry and in the meantime, they might give enough water to the root systems to keep the crops happy.
I've put this plan on paper and its in my spring garden journal. I'll be saving 2-liter bottles from now til needed. I'll start with one or two beds to see if it works first.
I'll keep you posted on its failure or success.
quiltbea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 12/23/2012, 7:27 pm

I would be interested in the results of your experiment QB.

This coming season I must figure out a rainwater harvesting system that actually works for me.

I have had it up to the eyebrows with the infiltrating tree root hairs that have plagued half my garden boxes the past two years so I am going to be making new boxes with wood plank bottoms and place them on flat pavers above the soil. This will undoubtedly increase my vegetable yield instead of feeding the trees.

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 12/26/2012, 2:25 am

camprn wrote:

This coming season I must figure out a rainwater harvesting system that actually works for me.

Me too Camprn! I have a bad well and in the dry summer months watering gets hard.

Back to topic though, I think your location and the plants you are trying to grow may also be a factor. Most of the plants you planted (that did poorly) like cooler weather so if I were you I would look into different types of those plants that do better in warmer weather and experiment with earlier/later planting dates to help them along!
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 12/26/2012, 11:19 am

Ebe...I agree with Cheyanna......Most of those crops are cool-weather crops and grow best if started before last frost in your area so that they mature before the heat sets in. Then you can start another crop in the late summer to grow in fall when there are fewer insects to get them.

As for the Mexico Midget tomatoes....I'm in the north in zone 5a and my Mexico Midgets didn't do well at all. Lucky you.
quiltbea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum