Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sweet Potatoes
by sanderson Today at 3:19 am

» What's Up? Yukon gold potatoes!
by sanderson Today at 3:15 am

» CarbSmart (tm) Potatoes
by countrynaturals Today at 3:09 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by countrynaturals Today at 3:04 am

» jalapeno variety question?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:12 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:35 pm

» New Composter - Need Help Filling Correctly
by saganco Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 5:08 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 5:02 pm

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» December Avatar: 'Tis The Season!
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:29 pm

» The Research Journey:cardboard covering of newly planted seeds
by saganco Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» Areogardening
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 12:58 pm

» Garden Clean-Up/Preparation
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:18 pm

» Sauerkraut & fermenting veggies
by sanderson 12/11/2017, 9:41 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 12/11/2017, 6:39 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 12/11/2017, 2:40 pm

» Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing
by countrynaturals 12/11/2017, 11:44 am

» New England December 2017
by Scorpio Rising 12/10/2017, 10:45 pm

» Mushroom in my lettuce!
by Scorpio Rising 12/10/2017, 10:40 pm

» 5-BOOK BUNDLE GIVEAWAY - ENDS 12/1/17
by No_Such_Reality 12/10/2017, 4:15 pm

» N&C MW; Deep Winter December/January 2017-2018
by Scorpio Rising 12/10/2017, 1:36 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 12/10/2017, 1:24 pm

» Spring Fever Anyone?
by brianj555 12/10/2017, 12:50 pm

» WARNING! Please Read! (Especially Grandparents)
by Scorpio Rising 12/9/2017, 8:53 pm

» Mid-South: December 2017
by brianj555 12/9/2017, 7:29 pm

» The start of the New Garden
by brianj555 12/9/2017, 1:35 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by countrynaturals 12/8/2017, 6:26 pm

» First Year Square Foot Gardening in Zone 9 South Mississippi
by CapeCoddess 12/8/2017, 3:09 pm

» A compost calculator
by kygardener 12/8/2017, 1:34 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Gunny's Garden

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gunny's Garden

Post  Mike aka Gunny on 12/30/2012, 3:37 pm

Hi All,
Will be heading home in the morning. It will be good to get back to Yuma and get my feet warm, LOL. Have been freezing up here in Irving, NY since the 1st of December. Came up with the wife to spend the time with our daughter, son-in-law, his family and the grandkids.
Am looking forward to starting my first SFG in the near future. Have to get the compost pile started next week, then all the other chores caught up. Will be a busy time. Anyway thought I'd drop by and say Hey.
Have a Safe and Happy New Year.
avatar
Mike aka Gunny

Male Posts : 14
Join date : 2012-12-23
Age : 71
Location : Yuma/Somerton Boarder, Low Low Desert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gunny's Garden

Post  durham64 on 12/30/2012, 4:14 pm

Hello Gunny,

I'm glad you got to spend time with your family for the holiday, but I know you look forward to warm feet again!

Here in the tri-state area (GA, AL, TN) it has been below freezing every night and not much warmer during the day. I live in my grandmother's stone cottage that was built in 1939, so needless to say, no central heat. I have a small heater in the back and a gas log fireplace, but it stays super cold in here all the time.

I'm sitting here now, typing this, with sweats, socks and a fleece jacket! Anyway, good luck getting your toes warm and we will start our first year of SFG together!

Have a great New Years!
avatar
durham64

Female Posts : 24
Join date : 2012-12-28
Location : Chickamauga, GA Zone 7

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gunny's Garden

Post  Triciasgarden on 12/31/2012, 10:20 pm

So glad you, your wife and family were able to spend Christmas together Gunny! Hope you guys have a safe trip back home and getting done what you need to get done!

Durham64 your home sounds cozy but that cold must just go all the way to the bones! You brave soul!

Both of you good luck on your first year of gardening the square foot gardening way!
avatar
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1632
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 62
Location : Northern Utah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gunny's Garden

Post  Mike aka Gunny on 1/1/2013, 10:14 am

We made it home yesterday, but what a disaster we walked into. We had some folks that we thought were dependable looking after the place. We had doggie doo from one end to the other and one of our birds dead in the cage not to mention general filth throughout inside and out. No more trips where both of us are gone at the same time.
I thought we had left all the cold temps behind in NY but they came home with us. It was 32°F when I got up this am. This is weird for down here. Looks like I wont start any plants for awhile. Gives me time to prep every thing which is good.
The wife is calling so back to getting the house in order.
Btw Happy New Year.
avatar
Mike aka Gunny

Male Posts : 14
Join date : 2012-12-23
Age : 71
Location : Yuma/Somerton Boarder, Low Low Desert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gunny's Garden

Post  durham64 on 1/1/2013, 3:29 pm

Gunny,

You poor soul! I am an animal lover through and through and to hear things like that just breaks my heart! I am so sorry that you had that facing you when you got home. Not to mention the cold weather. I guess you will just have to join the "sweat crew", lol. I live in them throughout the winter!

Triciasgarden,

I do love my little stone cottage; my grandfather was a stone mason and built it, my mom and uncle were born here and my grandmother lived in the house for almost 60 years. It holds a great deal of wonderful memories and I always feel at "home" here.

But you are right about the cold going all the way to the bone. It is such a wet cold in this area. I lived in Denver for a number of years and it was a completely different kind of cold. Humidity here, yuck! But after moving all over the country for my job, I am finally Home and wouldn't trade it for anything.

A Happy New Year to you both!
avatar
durham64

Female Posts : 24
Join date : 2012-12-28
Location : Chickamauga, GA Zone 7

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gunny's Garden

Post  Triciasgarden on 1/2/2013, 12:16 pm

OMG Gunny I just can't believe someone would neglect animals like that! That is so sad about your bird! Those people could have at least put lots of food and water in the cage if there was a chance they wouldn't be able to get back to the birds for a few days or so! Wow what a mess to come home to after having such a nice vacation!

Holley, it's great to live in a home that has so many warm memories and feelings that permeate it! Happy New Year to you too!
avatar
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1632
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 62
Location : Northern Utah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gunny's Garden

Post  Gunny's Garden on 1/2/2013, 12:34 pm

Thank you for your heart felt feelings, I really do appreciate them.
We now have the house in order. My poor wife was in tears and you could see the flames shooting out her ears. We inherited a new cat while we were gone, this place is a cat magnet. Ferrules mostly or somebody will drive by and dump their cat even with the signs we've posted. Last count we had something like 16 around the house and who knows how many down at the ranch. The good thing is we don't have many little critters around the place.
I've got my lumber, deck screws, and chicken wire, so now I've got to get a circular saw and cut my boxes.
My feet are still cold, dang it. LOL.
avatar
Gunny's Garden

Male Posts : 11
Join date : 2013-01-02
Age : 71
Location : Low, Low Desert Somerton/Yuma Area

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Help inserting a photo into post.

Post  Gunny's Garden on 1/2/2013, 2:30 pm

Someone please tell me how to insert photos on these posts. I kinda know its a very simple thing. I just don't know how yet. Help!!
avatar
Gunny's Garden

Male Posts : 11
Join date : 2013-01-02
Age : 71
Location : Low, Low Desert Somerton/Yuma Area

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gunny's Garden

Post  Lindacol on 1/2/2013, 3:16 pm

@Gunny's Garden wrote:Thank you for your heart felt feelings, I really do appreciate them.
We now have the house in order. My poor wife was in tears and you could see the flames shooting out her ears. We inherited a new cat while we were gone, this place is a cat magnet. Ferrules mostly or somebody will drive by and dump their cat even with the signs we've posted. Last count we had something like 16 around the house and who knows how many down at the ranch. The good thing is we don't have many little critters around the place.
I've got my lumber, deck screws, and chicken wire, so now I've got to get a circular saw and cut my boxes.
My feet are still cold, dang it. LOL.

So sorry about your bird - I fully understand as we have birds (2 African grey parrots & 5 cockatiels) in the house and large dogs and goats outside.

With all those cats around you are going to have to do something to keep them out of the garden. The cats will think the raised beds are big sandboxes.
avatar
Lindacol

Posts : 777
Join date : 2011-01-23
Location : Bloomington, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gunny's Garden

Post  plantoid on 1/2/2013, 7:06 pm

Gunny sign up to something like photobucket and there will be prompts

Once you have loaded pictures into photobucket from your computer folders you select which photobucket picture you want to send and click on the IMG code box.
Nowaday it auto copies to your clip board .
Come over onto ANSFG and paste the link code into the thread .
It will show up on the thread after you click send when the thread re appears for you to see.

I might be trying to teach Granny to suck eggs ... you can have photobucket and ansfg website open at the same time .. are youy au fait with that ?
avatar
plantoid

Male Posts : 3763
Join date : 2011-11-09
Age : 66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gunny's Garden

Post  Mike aka Gunny on 1/2/2013, 7:12 pm

Thanks will try that.
avatar
Mike aka Gunny

Male Posts : 14
Join date : 2012-12-23
Age : 71
Location : Yuma/Somerton Boarder, Low Low Desert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gunny's Garden

Post  Lindacol on 1/2/2013, 9:14 pm

@Gunny's Garden wrote:Someone please tell me how to insert photos on these posts. I kinda know its a very simple thing. I just don't know how yet. Help!!

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t129-how-to-post-a-picture-located-on-your-computer
avatar
Lindacol

Posts : 777
Join date : 2011-01-23
Location : Bloomington, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gunny's Garden

Post  Gunny's Garden on 1/2/2013, 10:22 pm

Gotcha
Thanks, I knew it was something simple, just didn't know what hosting ment, thoight it was like doing a website or something like that and didn't know where to look here. So again thanks.
avatar
Gunny's Garden

Male Posts : 11
Join date : 2013-01-02
Age : 71
Location : Low, Low Desert Somerton/Yuma Area

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gunny's Garden

Post  Triciasgarden on 1/3/2013, 4:37 pm

@Lindacol wrote:
@Gunny's Garden wrote:Thank you for your heart felt feelings, I really do appreciate them.
We now have the house in order. My poor wife was in tears and you could see the flames shooting out her ears. We inherited a new cat while we were gone, this place is a cat magnet. Ferrules mostly or somebody will drive by and dump their cat even with the signs we've posted. Last count we had something like 16 around the house and who knows how many down at the ranch. The good thing is we don't have many little critters around the place.
I've got my lumber, deck screws, and chicken wire, so now I've got to get a circular saw and cut my boxes.
My feet are still cold, dang it. LOL.

So sorry about your bird - I fully understand as we have birds (2 African grey parrots & 5 cockatiels) in the house and large dogs and goats outside.

With all those cats around you are going to have to do something to keep them out of the garden. The cats will think the raised beds are big sandboxes.

Lindacol is right about the cats. We had two neighbors feeding ferrel cats. They chose to come into my garden beds and use them as litter boxes. So not fun to get everything ready, plant and within a few hours plants and/or seeds were dug up and poop was everywhere.

Sounds like you and your wife have been super busy! You guys don't let grass grow under your feet! Have loads of fun and try to keep your feet warm!
avatar
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1632
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 62
Location : Northern Utah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gunny's Garden

Post  Gunny's Garden on 1/4/2013, 8:22 pm

Thanks again folks, but I had that already on my mind and plan to put critter cages around the boxes. I cut the wood today for the boxes and will assemble them tomarrow. With all the snowbirds in town its really hard to find supplies. Lowes and Walmart don't have any vermiculite or pearlite. Will have to try Home Depot. If not there then all the nurseries in town. Come to think about it there is a garden supply not far from the ranch.
Yep its been awlfully busy round here this week, that's for sure.
My bride of 38 years is calling me in so have to go for now.
You all have fun and stay warm. I'm freezing in Yuma LOL.
avatar
Gunny's Garden

Male Posts : 11
Join date : 2013-01-02
Age : 71
Location : Low, Low Desert Somerton/Yuma Area

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gunny's Garden

Post  plantoid on 1/5/2013, 5:42 pm

Gunny , check out builders merchants as well for your vermiculite , it is used as an insulation material infill that can be poured or blown into place.

Most likley being sold in 2 cubic feet/ 112 litres bags , weight about 12 pounds per bag & usually far cheaper than the big box store prices .

If you go to the home page in the main menu about half way down there is a vermiculite sourcing list
avatar
plantoid

Male Posts : 3763
Join date : 2011-11-09
Age : 66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gunny's Garden

Post  Lindacol on 1/5/2013, 9:22 pm

@Gunny's Garden wrote:Thanks again folks, but I had that already on my mind and plan to put critter cages around the boxes. I cut the wood today for the boxes and will assemble them tomarrow. With all the snowbirds in town its really hard to find supplies. Lowes and Walmart don't have any vermiculite or pearlite. Will have to try Home Depot. If not there then all the nurseries in town. Come to think about it there is a garden supply not far from the ranch.
Yep its been awlfully busy round here this week, that's for sure.
My bride of 38 years is calling me in so have to go for now.
You all have fun and stay warm. I'm freezing in Yuma LOL.

Check out the vermiculite database on the home page. It has locations in Tuscon and Phoenix.

Uline carries it - http://www.uline.com/BL_3801/Vermiculite - but then you have to pay shipping. There is no shipping if you order it and pick it up at one of their locations. They have a location in Ontario, CA, if you happen to be coming this way it might be worth it.

Did you ask for it at Home Depot? Last year they had it here in so CA starting about this time of year but only for a couple of months and it was the medium grade.
According to the HD website it is in stock in Yuma and is also available for shipping (free shipping if over $45 order).- http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202187625/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=vermiculite&storeId=10051
avatar
Lindacol

Posts : 777
Join date : 2011-01-23
Location : Bloomington, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Home Depot

Post  johnsonjlj on 1/5/2013, 10:29 pm

I saw the medium vermiculite in Home Depot this week, close to the stuff for orchids and such. Not a huge bag, but not the smallest I've ever seen, either.
avatar
johnsonjlj

Posts : 76
Join date : 2012-03-11
Age : 51
Location : Lake City, FL 8b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gunny's Garden

Post  Lindacol on 1/5/2013, 11:06 pm

@Lindacol wrote:
@Gunny's Garden wrote:Thanks again folks, but I had that already on my mind and plan to put critter cages around the boxes. I cut the wood today for the boxes and will assemble them tomarrow. With all the snowbirds in town its really hard to find supplies. Lowes and Walmart don't have any vermiculite or pearlite. Will have to try Home Depot. If not there then all the nurseries in town. Come to think about it there is a garden supply not far from the ranch.
Yep its been awlfully busy round here this week, that's for sure.
My bride of 38 years is calling me in so have to go for now.
You all have fun and stay warm. I'm freezing in Yuma LOL.

Check out the vermiculite database on the home page. It has locations in Tuscon and Phoenix.

Uline carries it - http://www.uline.com/BL_3801/Vermiculite - but then you have to pay shipping. There is no shipping if you order it and pick it up at one of their locations. They have a location in Ontario, CA, if you happen to be coming this way it might be worth it.

Did you ask for it at Home Depot? Last year they had it here in so CA starting about this time of year but only for a couple of months and it was the medium grade.
According to the HD website it is in stock in Yuma and is also available for shipping (free shipping if over $45 order).- http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202187625/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=vermiculite&storeId=10051

I just went online and ordered and my order included the 2 cu ft vermiculite plus a couple of things that were listed as not available at my store (the Ecoscraps compost I wanted to try and Sluggo Plus). The order was just over $45 and no shipping. Looks like I should have it all in about a week.
avatar
Lindacol

Posts : 777
Join date : 2011-01-23
Location : Bloomington, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gunny's Garden

Post  Gunny's Garden on 1/6/2013, 9:18 am

Thanks everyone for the help with vermiculite sources. Got the box frames put together today, will wire the bottoms tomarrow and start on the critter cage overlays. Am finding it difficult to get alot done at one sitting so am taking it in s small stages. I would post a pic but the window doesn't like my brouwser and won't hold still for me to enter any data. I'm down to my phone for internet coms. Hopefully we can get things up Mon. or Tue. One of the lessons learned is to put solid wheels on your wheelbarrow and other equipment if you have mesquite trees in your yard. Those thorns are worse than punji stakes and also require spike resistant footware. And I thought I was done with jungle boots . Very Happy You all have fun and be safe,
Gunny
avatar
Gunny's Garden

Male Posts : 11
Join date : 2013-01-02
Age : 71
Location : Low, Low Desert Somerton/Yuma Area

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gunny's Garden

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum