Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by countrynaturals Today at 12:12 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals Today at 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:14 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 9:52 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 9:45 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 9:08 am

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 4:09 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:42 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:42 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 2:04 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Yesterday at 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess 12/3/2016, 12:32 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 3:39 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser?

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser?

Post  mollyhespra on 2/27/2013, 6:10 pm

donnainzone10 wrote:The only downside I can see in using urine as a compost additive/fertilizer is that traces of prescription medicines (if you take them) will be in it.

I was wondering the same thing about even vitamins. I've noticed that the colorant they put in the pills stains my urine a bright orangey color, or maybe that's the color of the vitamins that weren't absorbed. If it's just vitamins, then I don't think it would hurt anything, but if it's colorant or, like you mentioned, medication residue, then I'd be wary of using it in the compost pile.

mollyhespra

Female Posts : 800

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 2/27/2013, 6:32 pm

Observation--This kinda funny topic has over 16 hundred hits since Jan 9th. Just thought you should all know!

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4634

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 2/28/2013, 10:59 am

@mollyhespra wrote:
I was wondering the same thing about even vitamins. I've noticed that the colorant they put in the pills stains my urine a bright orangey color,

Me, too, but I'm not going to worry about my vits and supplements. I think the pile will handle it, and I'm guessing the boost will make my plants grow on down the road and knock on the neighbors door. cutesie

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 on 2/28/2013, 1:14 pm

I might be worried about prescription medications if you take any. Vitamins on the other hand wouldn't bother me. If you think it is natural and safe to put into your body it is probably safe to put into your compost.

H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 2/28/2013, 1:15 pm

Everything lives downstream.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  webbee on 3/1/2013, 3:01 am

@camprn wrote:Everything lives downstream.
Too true!

webbee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  prman on 3/5/2013, 12:54 pm

I think I'll stick with Worm Tea.

prman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Human urine and sulcata gold...

Post  naturaldoc on 3/5/2013, 2:07 pm

Healthy clean human urine has been used in a decomposed state for many years around the globe. I would not use it from anyone with illness and taking scripts or OTC medications.
On another note, I have 5 sulcatas that live here, and being strict vegetarians, there poop makes what we call "sulcata gold" (tea). They produce "sucata cigars", which are easy to collect and very easy to compost with worms. I think vermaculture is fascinating and I'm just starting to learn more about it. Any tips on vermiculture out there?
Doc (Christine)

naturaldoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli on 3/16/2013, 1:29 am

@naturaldoc wrote:Healthy clean human urine has been used in a decomposed state for many years around the globe. I would not use it from anyone with illness and taking scripts or OTC medications.
On another note, I have 5 sulcatas that live here, and being strict vegetarians, there poop makes what we call "sulcata gold" (tea). They produce "sucata cigars", which are easy to collect and very easy to compost with worms. I think vermaculture is fascinating and I'm just starting to learn more about it. Any tips on vermiculture out there?
Doc (Christine)

It's very easy - my worm bin lives in the living room and no one is the wiser. Wink There are many tutorials online for making the bin; a paper shredder comes in handy for making bedding. I freeze food and then let it sit out for a day or two in a plastic bag before giving it to the worms. Between the worms, the guinea pig, and the compost tumbler we're pretty well covered!

Coelli

Female Posts : 300

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker on 3/16/2013, 2:32 am

@llama momma wrote:Observation--This kinda funny topic has over 16 hundred hits since Jan 9th. Just thought you should all know!
thanks llama momma. I had a few good laughs, too!

Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 355
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat on 3/16/2013, 1:14 pm

On a related note, I used to know women in Los Angeles who used diluted menstrual blood on their houseplants. It worked wonders.

I found the following article/thread about this.

(OK, I can't source the article/thread I found yet, because I'm a new member. But you can google it.)

I don't recall who mentioned the Humanure Handbook, but I've also read it. And why not recycle it? It makes more sense than using a precious resource (water) the way we do. What a Face

I know some of these things sounds gross to a lot of people, but it's just our perception and we can change perceptions. In a lot of other places people don't have the same hangups as we do, particularly in America. For example, in India, they add cow dung to mud to make bricks/adobe for houses and to make the floors, as it's a natural insulator that keeps the home cool in summer and warm in winter, and also repels bugs. In San Francisco, I read they are recycling dog poop to create energy. I think that awesome. cheers Less plastic poop bags in the dump (which never, ever break down) and no poop in the park. The more we learn recycle these "waste" products in some way, the less we actually "waste" resources trying to get rid of them, when it isn't even necessary.

jazzycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny on 3/16/2013, 2:38 pm

I love this topic. Being an old salt I have spent time in other countries and saw what was done with human waste. In the northern climes of South Korea public restrooms are a 55 gal. drum with an out house built over it. The contents when collected wind up in the rice patties. In Haiti today they are making compost piles from humanure and sugercane waste. It is about time we used what we have to a better purpose.

Gunny

Male Posts : 158

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny on 3/16/2013, 2:44 pm

Sorry about spelling errors, cant backtrack and make corrections on my android OS.
Also with the advent of composting toilets, it makes humanure more readily available for use. Would run it through another composting operation before using though, but that is just my way of thinking.

Gunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 3/16/2013, 5:22 pm

Gunny I was brought up with using humanure 52 years ago and it never did me any harm .
Every weekend our honey bucket was emptied in the middle of the farm dung heap and recovered the heap being turned every month using the forks on a front loader tractor
Prior to than and long before 1950 to that we had a brick built soil tank with a drain age floor six foot x six x six in a brick constructed isolated clodgy down the garden 100 yards from the well , with a plank the had two holes... mum& daddy sized and youngster sized , this was emptied every March into a four foot deep x four feet wide x 20 feet long trench that also had next doors delights added to it .
It was then recovered the beans were grown at one end and the tomatoes at the other
The next year we switched trench yards with the neighbours so they got everything instead , that was a common event in England for hundreds and hundreds of years.

plantoid

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat on 3/16/2013, 5:30 pm

You have to hot compost it. In the Humanure Handbook the guidelines are, once full, let it "cook" for a year. Then you can use it. He also recommends adding food scraps and other compostable items to aid in the breakdown (in other words, no need to have separate piles for food), and even says you can add small animals that have died. Don't think I would do that, but he claims it's OK. And really, once everything breaks down, it just turns into organic elements, right? We are made of stardust, so why shouldn't compost be made up of all of these things? The only thing is, it has to get to a certain temperature over a period of time to make sure any bad organisms are killed off. Otherwise, it could be very, very bad.

jazzycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat on 3/16/2013, 5:33 pm

@plantoid wrote:...Every weekend our honey bucket was emptied in the middle of the farm dung heap and recovered the heap being turned every month using the forks on a front loader tractor...

"honey bucket" lol Love it! And "next doors delights" hahaha

jazzycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 3/16/2013, 5:59 pm

Let's stay on topic here please Smile

I am my gardens worst enemy.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 3879

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny on 3/16/2013, 6:29 pm

Shades of 'Soilent Green' there my friend. darn funny

Gunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Urine: Ultimate organic fertilizer?

Post  jjlonsdale on 4/7/2013, 4:08 pm

Oh, my!

I've heard of using diluted urine, and given its other sorta-clean/useful qualities (peeing on jellyfish stings and all that), and the high nitrogen content, that makes sense. I'm curious enough to give it a try!

I could even see using "honey bucket" material, if I were sure I knew exactly what I was doing.

But... but... menstrual blood?!!?!?!? Shocked Shocked Shocked I don't care if it's a first-world prejudice, THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!!!!!!

jjlonsdale

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Recycle those wet disposable diapers

Post  Gunny on 4/7/2013, 5:22 pm

For those of you who have small ones in the home and use disposable diapers, why not get more mileage out of them? After the diaper change soak the wet diaper in a bucket of water for awhile then remove the diaper and set it out to dry. Take the water and use it in the garden, if the child in on medication, use for your flowers only. Now when the diaper is dry, take it apart and use the insides in your garden soil. One disposable diaper will hold about nine cups of water. Think what this could do in your garden especially if you are restricted on how much water you can use. Get over gross and be practical and save some money at the same time. After all the diaper was headed for the landfill and now it can be of more service. Just a thought from an article I just read on a blog for using the innards of a new disposable diaper for its water retention properties.

Gunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Human waste use...

Post  cautery on 4/7/2013, 5:48 pm

I'm not grossed out by the thought of using human waste... It's been a common practice in many parts of the world for thousands of years...

My only concern is to use a system that will insure that the potential pathogen cycle is broken. I'm almost certain that direct use will not do this.

I'm no expert, but I would suspect that incorporation of the waste in a hot composting process would go a long way to upping the safety factor.

cautery

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli on 4/28/2013, 11:51 pm

This thread saved my stunted, sickly garden. I'm amazed at what a difference a week can make. It must be something in the water!

'nuff said. Smile

Coelli

Female Posts : 300

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm on 4/29/2013, 1:40 am

So, what you're saying is, I can pee on my compost pile...

(healthy, no meds, no pathogens)

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked

My garden progress:
MyFolia.com - Garden Tracking Community Find more about Weather in Las Vegas, NV

brainchasm

Male Posts : 463

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 4/29/2013, 4:27 am

@brainchasm wrote:So, what you're saying is, I can pee on my compost pile...

(healthy, no meds, no pathogens)

Yup ,just don't get caught and aim true .....with your back to the wind Laughing Laughing

plantoid

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 4/29/2013, 9:05 am

@Coelli wrote:This thread saved my stunted, sickly garden. I'm amazed at what a difference a week can make. It must be something in the water!

'nuff said. Smile

I hear that! My tomato seedlings grew an inch and all my SFG greens seemed to double in side yesterday after being fed. I could almost watch them growing. It's a free miracle grow!

I haven't been using it on my root veggies. Wouldn't that be too much nitrogen? I've been using compost tea for the roots.
CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:37 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum