Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» has55's R & D Journey
by has55 Today at 6:01 am

» Julia Child's French Onion Soup
by sanderson Today at 2:54 am

» Indoor Container Garden - City Living
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:26 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Roseinarosecity Yesterday at 10:03 pm

» Air Fryer! HELP!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 5:48 pm

» Sweet Potatoes
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 5:36 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in December 2017
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» Areogardening
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:45 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:55 am

» What's Up? Yukon gold potatoes!
by saganco Yesterday at 11:11 am

» N&C MW; Deep Winter December/January 2017-2018
by Scorpio Rising 12/15/2017, 7:57 pm

» Garden Clean-Up/Preparation
by Scorpio Rising 12/15/2017, 7:53 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by CapeCoddess 12/15/2017, 1:50 pm

» CarbSmart (tm) Potatoes
by sanderson 12/15/2017, 1:41 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by Kelejan 12/15/2017, 7:51 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 12/14/2017, 10:42 pm

» Spring Fever Anyone?
by Robbomb116 12/14/2017, 4:03 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/14/2017, 11:01 am

» New England December 2017
by AtlantaMarie 12/14/2017, 6:32 am

» jalapeno variety question?
by brianj555 12/13/2017, 6:03 pm

» Sauerkraut & fermenting veggies
by brianj555 12/13/2017, 5:28 pm

» Tomato Questions
by sanderson 12/13/2017, 3:04 pm

» Mid-South: December 2017
by AtlantaMarie 12/13/2017, 8:24 am

» New Composter - Need Help Filling Correctly
by saganco 12/12/2017, 9:10 pm

» December Avatar: 'Tis The Season!
by sanderson 12/12/2017, 2:29 pm

» The Research Journey:cardboard covering of newly planted seeds
by saganco 12/12/2017, 1:15 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 12/11/2017, 6:39 pm

» Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing
by countrynaturals 12/11/2017, 11:44 am

» Mushroom in my lettuce!
by Scorpio Rising 12/10/2017, 10:40 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Roots and Onions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Roots and Onions

Post  Bud Alexis on 1/12/2013, 9:41 pm

I emptied out one of my raised beds and, WOW, I couldn't believe all the roots that have poked up thru the bottom shield layer. What to do.
On another matter, I have a lot of multiplying onions, so I want to replant them in another bed. They are clustered, so I want to divide them into singles. They still have mostly green tops in spite of the freezes we have had and will be getting some more of next week. Is this a bad time to replant?
avatar
Bud Alexis

Male Posts : 52
Join date : 2011-07-25
Location : N. Louisiana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Roots and Onions

Post  Pollinator on 1/12/2013, 11:01 pm

I have the same problem with one of my raised beds, which have no bottom. My neighbor has a huge pine tree about 20 feet from the bed, and it is putting up roots into the bed. Last year I wondered why stuff did a lot poorer in this bed, then this year I put in sweet potatoes in the same bed.

Now I don't normally till my beds, but you pretty much have to do it to harvest your sweet 'taters. And I encountered almost impenetrable mats of wood roots.

I can't complain, because the 'taters did fairly well. But I was much more attentive about giving them chicken manure. It's just a shame that so much much of that fertilizer went to the pine tree thief, instead of my crop.

I have just about decided to close out that bed. I'm going to do one new one somewhere this year that will compensate, and I plan to do the SFG method on the new one, to see if it will help with tomato disease.
avatar
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445
Join date : 2012-06-23
Location : Coastal SC

View user profile http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Roots and Onions

Post  littlejo on 1/12/2013, 11:09 pm

Hi Bud, I'd try some cardboard and some newspaper. The newspaper will supposedly help keep bugs away, and they both will help with worms.

As far as the onions, different rules apply in the south. If they are still green, then replant now. Even my Egyptian walking onions are still green, all the tops are gone but the stems are still green.
I don't have any multiplier onions, but plan on getting some this yr.
Jo
avatar
littlejo

Female Posts : 1541
Join date : 2011-05-04
Age : 64
Location : Cottageville SC 8b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Roots and Onions

Post  littlejo on 1/12/2013, 11:14 pm

@Bud Alexis wrote:I emptied out one of my raised beds and, WOW, I couldn't believe all the roots that have poked up thru the bottom shield layer. What to do.
On another matter, I have a lot of multiplying onions, so I want to replant them in another bed. They are clustered, so I want to divide them into singles. They still have mostly green tops in spite of the freezes we have had and will be getting some more of next week. Is this a bad time to replant?
Pollinater, The sw. potatoes love the pine roots, for they love the acid, and they are thankful that the tree roots took up the manure, for they do not like being fertilized. Smile
Jo
avatar
littlejo

Female Posts : 1541
Join date : 2011-05-04
Age : 64
Location : Cottageville SC 8b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Roots and Onions

Post  camprn on 1/13/2013, 8:29 am

@Pollinator wrote:I have the same problem with one of my raised beds, which have no bottom. My neighbor has a huge pine tree about 20 feet from the bed, and it is putting up roots into the bed. Last year I wondered why stuff did a lot poorer in this bed, then this year I put in sweet potatoes in the same bed.

Now I don't normally till my beds, but you pretty much have to do it to harvest your sweet 'taters. And I encountered almost impenetrable mats of wood roots.

I can't complain, because the 'taters did fairly well. But I was much more attentive about giving them chicken manure. It's just a shame that so much much of that fertilizer went to the pine tree thief, instead of my crop.
I have had some serious problems with tree root hairs infiltrating a few of my beds the past few years, to the point of choking the roots of the vegetables. After digging out the beds of the noxious roots the past two years I have decided I must raise the beds off the native soil. So I plan to dig out the invading roots again, build new boxes with solid or wire mesh bottoms and raise the up about an inch or two. A big project, but I am not going to keep digging out roots every year.

@Pollinator wrote:I have just about decided to close out that bed. I'm going to do one new one somewhere this year that will compensate, and I plan to do the SFG method on the new one, to see if it will help with tomato disease.
Do you know which tomato disease you are battling?

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Roots and Onions

Post  bnoles on 1/13/2013, 9:14 am

One problem I see with raising the bed only a few inches off the ground is what you are inviting to live under it in that small space. Around here snakes would love to find such a valuable hiding place as well as rats, etc. I think if I were going to raise the bed off the ground I would go ahead and raise it to table top high and get the benefit of not having to get down on hands and knees or bending and stretching to work your garden.

bnoles

Male Posts : 804
Join date : 2012-08-16
Location : North GA Mountains Zone 7A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Roots and Onions

Post  camprn on 1/13/2013, 9:35 am

@bnoles wrote:One problem I see with raising the bed only a few inches off the ground is what you are inviting to live under it in that small space. Around here snakes would love to find such a valuable hiding place as well as rats, etc. I think if I were going to raise the bed off the ground I would go ahead and raise it to table top high and get the benefit of not having to get down on hands and knees or bending and stretching to work your garden.
I was addressing the question at hand, about infiltrating roots. Of course the gardener must take into account the conditions in the yard. I just want to separate the growing bed from the root systems found in the native soil underneath. For me, I am challenged by the fact that I have limited carpentry skills, level ground and money, so I will raise the beds only a few inches. I am always glad to have garter snakes in my garden as they hunt up undesirable critters.

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Roots and Onions

Post  CindiLou on 1/13/2013, 11:10 am

@camprn wrote:I am always glad to have garter snakes in my garden as they hunt up undesirable critters.

Yup, I can handle the garter snakes. NOT the rats! I think if it was a low height the worse you would get is snakes, they would not let anything else near! Humm, but maybe skunks, you might get them! GGGrrrr on second thought, yup, I would raise it up or put it on the ground! Just my 2 cents worth rofl
avatar
CindiLou

Posts : 999
Join date : 2010-08-30
Age : 58
Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Roots and Onions

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum