Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by Yardslave Today at 8:01 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 4:32 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 3:55 pm

» Ayrshire Newbie
by robert1938 Today at 12:17 pm

» Hello from West Coast Of Scotland
by robert1938 Today at 12:02 pm

» Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit REGISTER NOW!
by countrynaturals Today at 11:53 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver Today at 9:53 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM Today at 12:33 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 8:47 pm

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 8:40 pm

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by Turan Yesterday at 5:14 pm

» Lower south Oct 2017
by brianj555 Yesterday at 5:02 pm

» Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 4:50 pm

» Thumbs Up????
by brianj555 Yesterday at 4:47 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY - ENDS 10/20/17
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:37 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:34 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by Turan Yesterday at 12:01 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:17 am

» Today's Harvest
by brianj555 10/16/2017, 8:21 pm

» new greenhouse got drafted
by Scorpio Rising 10/16/2017, 8:08 pm

» Monarch Supporter
by Scorpio Rising 10/16/2017, 7:55 pm

» New England October 2017
by countrynaturals 10/16/2017, 1:09 pm

» October Avatar: Don't Fence Me In
by trolleydriver 10/16/2017, 11:45 am

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals 10/15/2017, 3:51 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 10/15/2017, 3:28 pm

» Leaf-Footed squash bugs
by sanderson 10/14/2017, 11:21 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by Scorpio Rising 10/14/2017, 9:12 pm

» Tomato Questions
by Scorpio Rising 10/14/2017, 9:06 pm

» large plant ID stakes
by has55 10/14/2017, 4:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Newbie - seeds or seedlings?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Newbie - seeds or seedlings?

Post  nyrsimon on 1/13/2013, 7:29 pm

Folks,

So a (late) Happy New Year to everybody.

I am going to try again this year and I am hoping to get some advice and support!

Last year I started toms, peppers & lettuce seeds indoors and then went to transplant them outside. They ALL died. I then planted seeds directly and they worked well, but obviously I lost some time.

So has a) anybody got a shoulder to cry on! and b) any advice for transplanting?

I have done some research and I *think* I should have 'hardened' them and also I *suspect* I transplanted a little too soon. When is a seedling read to transplant? any good rules of thumb??

Also what do you guys grow seedlings in? I bought one of the fancy starter pots (you know two rows of 12 small plastic pots, with the clear plastic lid), but I suspect they are too small and it was also REALLY hard to get the seedlings out....should I be saving those yogurt cartons????

Any help is MUCH appreciated!

Thanks,
Simon - Monmouth County, NJ
nyrsimon

Male Posts : 17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Newbie - seeds or seedlings?

Post  Pollinator on 1/13/2013, 10:01 pm

nyrsimon wrote:
Last year I started toms, peppers & lettuce seeds indoors and then went to transplant them outside. They ALL died. I then planted seeds directly and they worked well, but obviously I lost some time.

So has a) anybody got a shoulder to cry on! and b) any advice for transplanting?

I have done some research and I *think* I should have 'hardened' them and also I *suspect* I transplanted a little too soon.

Ultraviolet light is probably the reason. Indoor plants have not been exposed to it and are sun scorched by the rays, if suddenly put outside.

Before setting them out permanently, put them outside in a shady spot the first day. The second day put them in the sun for a half hour. Each day expand the amount of direct sun, until they "harden off" in a week or so. Then they should thrive when transplanted into the ground.
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

View user profile http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  nyrsimon on 1/13/2013, 11:11 pm

Pollinator wrote:

Ultraviolet light is probably the reason. Indoor plants have not been exposed to it and are sun scorched by the rays, if suddenly put outside.

Before setting them out permanently, put them outside in a shady spot the first day. The second day put them in the sun for a half hour. Each day expand the amount of direct sun, until they "harden off" in a week or so. Then they should thrive when transplanted into the ground.

OK - thank you. I was wondering if that made a big difference - I guess it does. OK I'l give it a shot this year and we'll so how it goes

Thanks for taking the time - much appreciated.

Simon
nyrsimon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CharlesB on 1/14/2013, 10:39 am

What seems to have worked best for me is getting them started indoors but getting them exposed to the elements as soon as possible. So indoors I would get them to germinate but then get them outside fast. I would keep them covered and in a location with full shade. Covered but not suffocated. If I had a clear plastic lid on them I would make sure to keep that ajar for air to move. I put them next to my shed on the side where they wouldn't get direct sunlight. Also I would keep them off the ground. If they are on the ground slugs have a buffet.

After a few days you'll see how they look. If they managed the transistion ok, give them more air and less protection. After a week or two I move them so they will be out of the shade of the shed for a small time. If it gets hot out you can't let them in direct sun though. They will roast.

So a lot of it goes by looking at the plants. Another thing I have found useful is starting lots and lots of seeds. It doesn't cost you anything more and if they die you just use the cup with dirt in it to start another. If you mess up that way you have backups. My favorite is yogurt cups and solo plastic cups for things that will be in there a while. For things I will "prick out" I use flats of all soil and then prick out seedlings to plant where I want in the SFG. I use plastic tubs I get at the dollar store for a dollar for that. Once you prick the items out you just put in more seeds and keep going. Always having a supply of seedlings to put in places you want.

To do the "pricking out" of the flats I use wood tongue depressors like chop sticks. This is very fast and easy and I haven't lost a prick out yet.
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 1/14/2013, 10:48 am

Also when you put your transplants out be sure to save summer crops until chance of frost is well past, I don't know what zone you are in but I am 5A and I can direct sow peas, lettuce, cabbage, kohlrabi, and broccoli the end of april. I put out my summer crops such as tomatoes, peppers, squash, melons, and cukes out the first or second week of June. And hardening of is a must! It sure is fun to start them yourself and once you start getting the timing down it will be a lot more fun that frusterating! Have fun!
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 1/14/2013, 11:04 am

nysrimon.....I don't think I welcomed you earlier. Your name is not familiar. I do so now...Welcome to the forum.

Yes, don't forget to harden them off as mentioned by pollinator above and don't put them out too early in the season if its too cold as mentioned by cheyenn above.

I personally let them grow healthy and happy under my lights until a week or 2 before I plan to transplant them. They don't go outside sooner but you can get them used to the outdoors by brushing a piece of printer/notebook paper lightly across their tops from side to side a few times a day, when they have a little size to them, to give them a taste of outside breezes. It strengthens their stems.

After they are transplanted, cover them during the hottest part of the day with lightweight row cover or cheesecloth so they can acclimate easier. Here's some basil and Oregon Spring toms under cheesecloth after transplanting. The cloth is just draped over some sticks and will only be used 2 or 3 days.

There is an ongoing thread titled 'Seed Starting' right now that began last year. You could learn much from reading the posts and seeing the photos. Check the listing on the left.

Good luck and enjoy the experience.
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4690

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nyrsimon on 1/14/2013, 11:43 am

Thank you everyone for the feedback. It is so incredibly helpful - you guys rock!

It is clear I need to harden them - I didn't do that at all last year and it was disaster - you live and learn!

I'll definitely take a look at the seed starting thread - I am deep in the middle of putting the finishing touches to my plan for 2013 so it is timely

Again thanks to all for the responses.
Simon
nyrsimon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bakermtb on 1/28/2013, 7:33 pm

Welcome to SFG forum. bounce Have you read the seed starting chapter in the ANSFG book? You can start with what Mel talks about. Then follow what everyone else has informed you about.
Mel has done the homework for you and it works. I have been following his way and has worked very well for many years.
bakermtb

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 87

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum