Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
by trolleydriver Today at 4:14 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by landarch Today at 4:03 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by sfg4uKim Today at 3:52 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 1:32 pm

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 12:57 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by sanderson Today at 12:40 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:32 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:56 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Today at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Today at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:52 pm

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver 12/1/2016, 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 1:22 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 12:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Seed starting ??s: In larger containers rather than cells? Alternatives to peat?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Seed starting ??s: In larger containers rather than cells? Alternatives to peat?

Post  NowWeAreFour on 2/18/2013, 3:36 pm

First, I'm so excited to be back here again! Last year DH and I started our first SFG, and we were overwhelmed with goodies all summer long! I learned so much just lurking here, and I'm looking forward to hanging out again Smile

OK, so... I've been trying to gather containers for reuse. Some are large enough that I could possibly start several seeds in them, but I'm not sure if that's wise. Will the roots get tangled up if I do that? I don't want to have to fight to get the roots apart without damaging them when it comes time to transplant. I'll use the smaller cells if I have to, but I'd have to buy new, and I was hoping to reuse as much as possible this year.

Also, I'm trying to reduce the amount of peat we use. I keep seeing people talking about starting seeds in toilet paper tubes and newspaper rolls instead of peat cells, and I like that idea. Have people had success with those methods? IIRC, the roots begin to make their way through the peat cell walls. Will the heavier paper impede that process? Is it possible to remove the soil ball (clump?) and seedling from a TP tube or newspaper cell easily for transplanting, or does it all turn into a mess?

And if I don't want to use a peat soil-starting medium, are there other options? I've heard that garden soil is too heavy for seed starting, but seeds that are direct sown in the beds do just fine. Could I just scoop some of my bed soil and use that?

Thanks, I appreciate any insight anyone can offer!

NowWeAreFour

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Seed starting ??s: In larger containers rather than cells? Alternatives to peat?

Post  Gunny on 2/18/2013, 4:19 pm

Hi there, the use of newspaper and tubes is great. You do not have to remove the plant from them. You just put the whole thing in your garden. It will break down so no worries and no mess. This comes from researching not from my own experience Laughing

Gunny

Male Posts : 158

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Seed starting ??s: In larger containers rather than cells? Alternatives to peat?

Post  plantoid on 2/18/2013, 5:02 pm

NWAF

Use MM or vermiculite for the multiple seed sowing in the bigger pots .
When you come to the planting out , soak the pot up to the rim in air tem warm rain water for an hour or .... so you'll be able to almost pour the plants out .

Carefuly lift them up with a spoon don't damage the fine hair roots , stem or leaves , slip them into a well watered hole, then use the spooon to place a bit more MM to fill the hole and re water well .

Note for bigger slower growing plants such as melons & cutbits , use smaller 3 inch pots , for the big root systems they produce will definitel intertwine and have to be separated .
It's not usually very succesful to pot sow carrots and transplant them .

If you use Gunny's paper pot method , make sure that the top of the pot is slightly below the ground zero level or else the paper wil tend to draw up water out of the area like a wick , this often lead to poor plants . ( Guess how I know Embarassed )

plantoid

Male Posts : 3635

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 2/18/2013, 5:15 pm

I usually sprout the seeds in trays then transplant the seedlings into cells when they are small.
The yellow tray on the right is what I have sprouted the tomato seeds in and transferring into the tray of individual cells on the left. This photo from 3/29/11.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 2/18/2013, 5:22 pm

@plantoid wrote:NWAF

Use MM or vermiculite for the multiple seed sowing in the bigger pots .
When you come to the planting out , soak the pot up to the rim in air tem warm rain water for an hour or .... so you'll be able to almost pour the plants out .

Carefuly lift them up with a spoon don't damage the fine hair roots , stem or leaves , slip them into a well watered hole, then use the spoon to place a bit more MM to fill the hole and re water well .

Note for bigger slower growing plants such as melons & cutbits , use smaller 3 inch pots , for the big root systems they produce will definitely intertwine and have to be separated .
It's not usually very succesful to pot sow carrots and transplant them .

If you use Gunny's paper pot method , make sure that the top of the pot is slightly below the ground zero level or else the paper will tend to draw up water out of the area like a wick , this often lead to poor plants . ( Guess how I know Embarassed )

plantoid

Male Posts : 3635

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 2/18/2013, 7:44 pm

You don't need garden soil to start seed, and shouldn't. You can introduce disease if you use outdoor garden soil. Indoors one has to depend on artificial light or low light from windowsills. Not so in the garden area which gets strong sunlight. The soil for seed starting indrs should be very light and not a potting mix, just a seed starting mix. The seedling just needs to get itself started.

If you start several seeds in a 4" pot or container, they will do fine for germination. You will be transplanting them into their own cells/pots shortly after they germinate so their roots will be very light and thin and not tangly.

Some crops dislike having their roots disturbed at all in which case starting them in individual cells that can be cut away when transplanting outdoors might work best for you.

If you use peat pots or tissue rolls or newspaper pots, you can always cut them away when you transplant outdoors if you are worried about them not disintegrating, tho if wet when planted, and the tops buried below the soil, they should degrade quite easily and not interfere with the new root growth. Personally I think I would cut away most of a peat pot. They take considerable time to degrade.

There are many different techniques to start seeds and gardeners each find the way that works best for them. Try a couple of different things and see how you like them and make your favorite choice later.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 2/18/2013, 8:29 pm

I am my gardens worst enemy.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 3879

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 2/19/2013, 1:46 pm

I use anything that's handy rather than buy more stuff. I like best the large clam paks that 1 lb of Spring Mix lettuce comes in as I can mass plant seeds in them and also close the lid for a 'greenhouse' affect til the seeds sprout. They also hold 3 6-pak cells so I can add water to the bottom instead of watering from the top.

Here's what I did yesterday:

There are also 3 more 6-paks of seeds inside a clam pak sitting on a heating pad, not shown in the photo, but 2 clam paks fit on that heating pad just fine. When dividing mass planted seeds, like I did yesterday, I use a plastic fork and spoon to dig out, separate and lift them.

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 2/19/2013, 10:58 pm

I agree that peat pots do wick the moisture away from the plant if any of the pot is above the surface and I also think they restrict the roots because they take so long to break down. Learned from experience also. I did do the TP roll method and had good results. I cut away the roll when I transplanted because I didn't trust it to not hinder the growth of the roots into the adjoining soil. If I use them again, I would soak the whole roll and get it good and soggy and then remove it from the root ball. I didn't then but I would now since I have learned more.

I mostly just repeated what others said, didn't I? Rolling Eyes

Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:48 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum