Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:04 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:01 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:00 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Today at 8:59 pm

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by countrynaturals Today at 8:41 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:41 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:37 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:03 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Today at 5:46 pm

» Winter's Coming!
by plantoid Today at 5:33 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 5:17 pm

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by plantoid Today at 5:02 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Today at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Today at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Today at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by Kelejan Today at 4:08 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Today at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Today at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Today at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Today at 12:52 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:11 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:51 am

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Today at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:22 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:05 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by trolleydriver 11/30/2016, 11:18 am

» putting your raised garden beds to bed for Winter
by jimmy cee 11/30/2016, 8:46 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

newbe SFG in Georgia year two

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: newbe SFG in Georgia year two

Post  jazzycat on 4/20/2013, 11:25 pm

Wow Pepper! Your garden really ROCKS! Everything looks so great and YUMMY! Very Happy

Question about the stringing... my tomatoes are beginning to get large enough to either start stringing or weaving. (I had planned to string one row and weave the other one to see what I liked best, but since I go out of town a lot during the summer, I decided that leaving the stringing to my sister might be a mistake, so I'm probably just going to weave both rows.) Back to question. I can see how you are training them up the string. What I'm wondering is, if the string is attached at the top (of the structure) how much slack to do you leave in it for training? I would think that, while the tomatoes grow, the string would become tight and possibly cut into the plant's stem. How exactly does stringing work? Thanks!

(I just LOVE your picture updates!)

jazzycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener on 4/21/2013, 12:20 am

holy toledo pepper!! affraid affraid wow! congrats on a beauty of a garden. I'll say that rabbit poop works! Puts my square of radishes to shame! haha! thanks for the updates, we love 'em! cheers

southern gardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper on 4/21/2013, 7:18 am

Thank each of you for the complements.

Yolos the SVB ate my lunch last year so this time I put aluminum foil LOOSELY around the stems at the base before transplanting them. I also thought about using tulle to cover them but my lazy butt would probably forget to pollinate them enough. The pickle worms got what the PM and SVB did not. So what did I do put cukes right behind them in the same bed AGAIN.

jazzycat this is my first year to use string so I can't give expert advise. Not sure how to go with the amount of slack for each string, I already broke a branch of a cherry tomato. It had another close that needed a string so live and learn. Here is a great video on stringing and suckering forgot who I got it from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJgA4n-sCE8&feature=youtu.be
I have admired yall's self watering 'mater bed should do the trick to keep em watered this summer. I saw this idea of using a round fishing float (cork) with a real small dowel rod sticking up out of it placed in the tube. They had marked it to tell them when to add water. Since you are gone so much the weave may be your best alternative. The vid says you only 'wrap' about once a week so your choice.

SG last year my radish did not do squat so... Yours are prettier than mine; I done seen the pictures. Looks like plantoid was right about rabbit poo being 'super secret rocket fuel' for plants.

Pepper

Male Posts : 564

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles on 4/21/2013, 7:43 am

Looking good down there pepper, you gotta stop showing the rest of us up though lol!

I look forward to your updates and enjoy getting ideas from you.

bnoles

Male Posts : 804

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper on 4/22/2013, 12:09 pm

funny post ya right Bob lol!
OK the hardest work is DONE!! rock on rock on rock on
The misses really came through for me this weekend. Between the two of us the bean jungle string trellis got completed

the tater bed got it's first layers of straw.

This morning the cuke trellis is assembled and up.

Me thinks the new beds will be a next years project rofl rofl rofl

Pepper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper on 5/4/2013, 5:20 pm

Update time again; it is raining in Ga today so these were taken on Friday afternoon(5-3-13).
Bed 1 The right side of this bed is defeating the tulle by bowing it out from the sides(plant growth sprawling) letting in the cabbage moths. You can see the branches that have been broken opening and closing the fliptop. I have been slack on spraying due to eminent rain that did not come. Now I am paying the price but it does not show just leaf damage here.

Bed 2 The zukes and squash are growing nicely. The cukes are coming along but are showing yellowing around the leaves esp the one there when transplanted. Peppers in the corners are doing good so are the onions.

Bed 3 Tomatoes are going crazy in a great sort of way. I added several more strings and did some hefty pruning. I have a few little ones Laughing .
I am pleased with the Cherokee purples they are huge one has 2 main stems the other has 3. The Big Boy that was planted last is beginning to catch up. The ones that were frost burned are fine now.

pruning's

Bed 4 The bean jungle is showing the reason for it's nick name. The peppers on the left are about to be over ran by beans. Had an issue with bugs but a good spraying fixed the trouble that ruined my last bean crop. Vigilance must be our watchword and deed in these maters.

Bed 5 Growing great, have harvested plenty of lettuce, chard and radish. Some of the lettuce mix have bolted already;I wish it was the mesculin mix which taste much better. And yes the moths got to my once lovely cabbage. What is worse I never saw they had intruded into this fliptop. I am going to do a different thread about the cabbage damage.

Bed 6 After last years fiasco I am truly pleased by the way my tater bed LOOKS( proof will be in the harvest). I have a couple of blooms formed; will do a pic when they open. Still need to add a few more bales of pine straw to finish filling the top hat.

till next time

Pepper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles on 5/4/2013, 6:59 pm

AWESOME Pepper..... Just AWESOME!

Although my gardens are doing very well, they don't hold a candle to yours. Wonder what it is that you are doing that I'm not LOL

Keep up the great work and keep the updates coming as well.

bnoles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Very, very nice!

Post  Windmere on 5/4/2013, 7:12 pm

Wow Pepper. I am VERY impressed. You give hope to a fellow GA resident. I did not even contemplate having an SFG garden until late February and did not start accumulating supplies until early March. As such, I am WAAAY behind you.

Awesome work. You need to be proud of you accomplishments. As a fellow Georgian, I'm rooting for you big time.

cheers

Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 5/4/2013, 8:15 pm

Wow pepper, your potatoes are twice the size of mine. Mine have already started to flower so I don't know how much of a harvest I will get.

yolos

Female Posts : 2855

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper on 5/4/2013, 9:25 pm

thank y'all fellow Georgians.
Bob the rabbit poo has to be the difference. I amended all my beds with about 8 cubic feet of the stuff. My weather has been warmer than yours also. This river valley has it's advantages.
Windmere this is NOT my first year, you will get the hang of what it takes if you stay in the game. Believe me my last year was dismal at best. The bugs ate my breakfast lunch and supper. My rookie mistakes took their pounds of flesh off what did grow.
yolos mine are in second year MM, there were a LOT of small worms in it when I hilled them up. I only have two plants flowering so hope they keep growing. I never did get flowers on my "tater tires" last year my harvest was PITIFUL. Is it you that is using pine straw as final hilling like I am?
I am having my failures along with what LOOKS like successes. I learned last year not to count my chickens........

Pepper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat on 5/5/2013, 3:29 am

Pepper! AWESOME job! Your garden really is lovely. Smile

jazzycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  artisticfoodie on 5/5/2013, 9:38 am

Wowzer, I was thinking that was last year's beds. I can only hope mine will look like that next year.

artisticfoodie

Male Posts : 64

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper on 5/5/2013, 2:02 pm

Artisticfoodie now you know why I made that bet on your thread. These are this years photos. I have another thread for last year.

Pepper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 5/5/2013, 2:10 pm

@Pepper wrote:.
yolos mine are in second year MM, there were a LOT of small worms in it when I hilled them up. I only have two plants flowering so hope they keep growing. I never did get flowers on my "tater tires" last year my harvest was PITIFUL. Is it you that is using pine straw as final hilling like I am?

I was going to follow your example with the pine straw. But I never built my top hat bed on top so I did not need the pine straw. I hilled them up to the top of the bed and that's as far as I am going this year. I am also using second years MM on this bed.

Did you get this rain yesterday. We got 5-1/2 inches but it did not seem to affect any of my beds. Isn't it fantastic to be able to work in our beds the day after a gully washer. Before we would have to wade around in the clay for a week before we could even work the garden.

yolos

Female Posts : 2855

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper on 5/5/2013, 6:25 pm

OUCH 5-1/2 inches!!!!!!!!! Other ways of gardening would have drowned everything. I checked and we have only had 0.89 all month, 2 some inches in the last 7 days. My beds are easy to work even after such rain ; yes MM is great.
I also have taters flowering 2 or so. This morning one flower had opened. Last year I searched high and low to find a flower pic so here is one from a red Pontiac potato

and a close up

Pepper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper on 5/12/2013, 3:32 pm

update time
from another thread
@Pepper wrote:Our first MAJOR harvest is in; we have been picking outer leaves for a while but yesterday the misses did a major harvest.
most of the radish

three cabbages and some swiss chard

some lettuce

red kohlrabi these have never did much for me

white kohlrabi these were in the same bed as the reds

some broccoli and leaf romaine

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Bed 1 thinned from above harvest

Bed 2 the squash and zucchini are almost beginning to bloom

Bed 3 the tomatoes through the cucumber trellis(bed 2) all of them are blooming many have small tomatoes

Bed 4 (from behind) Blue Lakes on the left have started blooming, Kentucky Wonder have reached the top of trellis; 8 ft

Bed 5 major harvest; the mixed lettuce we never liked so it got added to the compost pile

Bed 6 taters notice the two bricks showing height

Pepper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles on 5/12/2013, 4:20 pm

That did it pepper... I going on a quest for rabbit poop and moving to middle GA! Shocked

Unbelievable harvest and a wonderful job on your part.

bnoles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat on 5/12/2013, 8:33 pm

Dang, Pepper! When did you plant all of those things? My tomatoes are growing like crazy, but I'm having a hard time getting my greens to grow. Probably started them too late in the season, since most greens prefer cooler weather. But, the weather has been very funky and cool, so I don't get it.

Your garden rocks! Everything looks amazing and lush and delicious! and thanks for the updates! I just love seeing other people's successes. Gives me hope. Smile

jazzycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper on 5/12/2013, 11:37 pm

Bob check your PM's

Pepper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper on 5/12/2013, 11:45 pm

jazzycat I planted most of this Mar 11 thru 17. My result must be due to the rabbit poo; last year was all but a flop.

Pepper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat on 5/12/2013, 11:58 pm

@Pepper wrote:jazzycat I planted most of this Mar 11 thru 17. My result must be due to the rabbit poo; last year was all but a flop.

Shocked WOW! I really have to check into that! Where did you come by rabbit poo? Very Happy

jazzycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper on 5/13/2013, 12:08 am

from a rabbit breeder in Heflin Al. Actually last year was not a complete flop. I did not use MM, took the cheap way out my crop suffered in fruit size. I guess the rabbit poo made a big difference.

Pepper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Rabbit Poop

Post  Windmere on 5/13/2013, 8:21 am

Pepper, a family that is good friends with us recently got several rabbits. They said they would give me a regular supply of rabbit poop. Yesterday I got a small paperbag full of it. Can't wait to try it!

Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper on 5/13/2013, 9:08 am

Good deal Windmere; but understand I put 3 wheel barrow loads( near to the top) in each bed but I have 12 inch deep beds. The great news is you do NOT have to worry about over doing it. You could use it exclusively without burning any plants. Where I got mine the guy had a huge pile; app 12 ft tall and maybe 20 feet around. It had been exposed to all the rain and weather so was heavy with water. It was not recognizable as pellets, more like 'muck'.

Pepper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:27 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum