Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
by sanderson Today at 3:47 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:15 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 2:34 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 2:14 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:25 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:58 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:22 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:52 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:21 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/8/2016, 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Bulk compost - how to bag them myself without a truck?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bulk compost - how to bag them myself without a truck?

Post  sheisaeval on 2/27/2013, 12:49 pm

So there's a couple of places around here that sells bulk compost and I calculated the cost it will save us a bunch.

However, we don't have a truck, nor does anyone we know have it. We can do delivery but since we don't live super close to one of these sites, delivery will tack on more cost that makes it not worth buying the bulk, and also they usually have a minimum requirement that we don't need that much right now.

So we are thinking about bagging ourselves and putting in our SUV and maybe making a few trips over a weekend to get it all. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use to transport the compost? Should we get some large rubbermaid bins? Or use heavy duty trash bags? Or any other way? Thanks!

sheisaeval

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bulk compost - how to bag them myself without a truck?

Post  camprn on 2/27/2013, 1:16 pm

My vote , bins or buckets, not bags. Bags get holes and leak.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 2/27/2013, 1:28 pm

It kind of depends on how clean you want the back of your SUV and your budget and what you have around. Large dog food and livestock feed bags work well to shovel into. Then pack them in the car/truck tight so they stay upright and don't fuss about some spillage. When dry you can vacuum it up well enough. I suspect heavy duty garbage/leaf bags would work well too, do not fill more than you can easily lift though.

We used to do this with my dad a lot. There was a horse boarding place that would let us take all the soiled bedding we could possibly want. My sisters and I have warm memories of doing this with Dad, it was a special one on one time with him. Hmmm, everything about veggy gardening reminds me of Dad. maybe that is why I like it so much. I miss him.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast

Turan

Female Posts : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol on 2/27/2013, 1:33 pm

@camprn wrote:My vote , bins or buckets, not bags. Bags get holes and leak.

I agree. Bins, buckets, trash cans, barrels, depending on what you have & what will fit in your vehicle.

If the compost is dry you you might be able to line the back of your SUV with a tarp(a good idea even if you put the compost in containers), then you could shovel it in and with the help of a couple of strong guys could just pull it out with the compost in the tarp. Then you can use the tarp for mixing the MM.

Lindacol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

If you use trash bags

Post  Hardcoir on 2/27/2013, 2:20 pm

If you use trash bags, I recommend the heavy-duty construction grade black trash bags. They will definitely hold compost.

We have grown potatoes in these types of bags, and they held our soil mix without tearing apart from March until September when we harvested them.

Hardcoir

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener on 2/27/2013, 2:23 pm

can you borrow a utility trailer from someone? they will dump it right in, and off you go.

southern gardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sheisaeval on 2/27/2013, 2:24 pm

@southern gardener wrote:can you borrow a utility trailer from someone? they will dump it right in, and off you go.

The only place I can think of is uhaul and I'm sure you probably want you to clean up all the compost/dirt afterwards if we rent from them

sheisaeval

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 2/27/2013, 2:44 pm

@sheisaeval wrote:So there's a couple of places around here that sells bulk compost and I calculated the cost it will save us a bunch.

However, we don't have a truck, nor does anyone we know have it. We can do delivery but since we don't live super close to one of these sites, delivery will tack on more cost that makes it not worth buying the bulk, and also they usually have a minimum requirement that we don't need that much right now.

So we are thinking about bagging ourselves and putting in our SUV and maybe making a few trips over a weekend to get it all. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use to transport the compost? Should we get some large rubbermaid bins? Or use heavy duty trash bags? Or any other way? Thanks!

Just remember, the bulk compost will only count as one of the five required in Mel's Mix Wink

I am my gardens worst enemy.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 3879

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 2/27/2013, 2:53 pm

As Turin says, do not fill more that you can lift. Better half full than having the bag split. Very Happy Now where did I learn that? Laughing

It also helps if you put the bag on one of those wire frames; you don't have to have someone else holding up the bag so that it can be filled. I use them when I am leaf raking, it makes the job so much easier. Whenever I see people on TV filling sandbags for flood barriers I feel like shouting to them to put the bag on a wire frame, much faster and easier. The frame that take a large garbage frame costs about $14.00. A price worth paying.

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4509

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 2/27/2013, 3:46 pm

@sheisaeval wrote:So there's a couple of places around here that sells bulk compost and I calculated the cost it will save us a bunch.

Do you know anyone who has a horse and farm cart ??
Such people just love to show their beasts and wagons off doing traditional farming things like delivering a bulk load of compost stuff .

It's a great day out as well if you can travel with them & help load and unload .

plantoid

Male Posts : 3637

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 2/27/2013, 3:50 pm

@Kelejan wrote:As Turin says, do not fill more that you can lift. Better half full than having the bag split. Very Happy Now where did I learn that? Laughing

It also helps if you put the bag on one of those wire frames; you don't have to have someone else holding up the bag so that it can be filled. I use them when I am leaf raking, it makes the job so much easier. Whenever I see people on TV filling sandbags for flood barriers I feel like shouting to them to put the bag on a wire frame, much faster and easier. The frame that take a large garbage frame costs about $14.00. A price worth paying.

An even cheaper frame is some old lino type semi rigid plastic floor covering as a five foot long by 36 inch length , rolled on the 36 inch side side and inserted in a bag makes it self supporting and easy to fill . Simply pull the lino out when the bag is 1/2 to 3/4 full .

plantoid

Male Posts : 3637

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim on 2/27/2013, 4:35 pm

I use Compactor bags (not contractor, compactor). It's easier to fill them if you cut the bottom out of a medium trash can. The photos below were using sand bags, but you'll get the idea. My "lovely assistant" is none other than Bakermtb. These bags will weigh between 20 & 25 lbs. depending on how wet the compost is.

Last edited by sfg4uKim on 2/27/2013, 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added info.)

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1875

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny on 2/28/2013, 10:31 am

If you go with a wire frame check Harbor Freight they have one for 33 gal. bags that will work for the larger bags too. At about $8. Have fun.

Gunny

Male Posts : 158

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim on 2/28/2013, 11:08 am

@RoOsTeR wrote:

Just remember, the bulk compost will only count as one of the five required in Mel's Mix Wink

Rooster, wouldn't it depend on how many ingredients went into the bulk compost? I get mine from Veteran Compost and it's made from a wide variety of materials . . . just as if I made it at home.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1875

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 2/28/2013, 11:12 am

@sfg4uKim wrote:
@RoOsTeR wrote:

Rooster, wouldn't it depend on how many ingredients went into the bulk compost? I get mine from Veteran Compost and it's made from a wide variety of materials . . . just as if I made it at home.
It would really depend on what the compost was made of.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  TN_GARDENER on 2/28/2013, 7:12 pm

@sheisaeval wrote:
@southern gardener wrote:can you borrow a utility trailer from someone? they will dump it right in, and off you go.

The only place I can think of is uhaul and I'm sure you probably want you to clean up all the compost/dirt afterwards if we rent from them

Most utility trailers clean up pretty easily (squirt with a hose)

Same for rentals (squirt with a hose)

TN_GARDENER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:55 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum