Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 6:25 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:15 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:06 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:01 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 9:08 am

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:09 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 1:28 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Juicers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Juicers

Post  squaredeal on 2/28/2013, 11:32 pm

I'm considering buying a juicer partially for the health benefits and partially to use up veggies from the garden. For those who have juicers, what kind do you have, and how often do you really use it? Thanks for the advice.

squaredeal

Female Posts : 192

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Juicers

Post  acopley on 3/1/2013, 12:14 am

I have one of those Jack Lalanne juicers...or at least I did. They're expensive, but I was lucky to run into one at a liquidation center. It had never been opened, but the box was pretty busted up. The juicer wasn't harmed, though. I only paid $15 for it. Great deal. I used it for a couple of weeks, but then it seemed to just be collecting dust on my counter. I passed it along to my brother who was on some sort of kale juice diet. I think that lasted about a month. It's now in his basement, collecting dust.

I'm thinking of reclaiming it to shred stuff before putting it into my compost bin. Has anyone tried this? I'm a new composter. Do you think it help the stuff break down faster?

Investment wise, I have a little hand juicer that I use more than I ever used the big machine. I use it for oranges, lemons, and limes. Those are the only things I ever really juice, but if you're someone who drinks lots of juice and would enjoy making your own, it might be worth it. I'd maybe go for a cheaper one though, just to be sure it's something you'd use a lot before investing a lot of money.

It's sort of like when I bought my bread machine. My aunt said, "Oh, you're just wasting your money. I had one and I never used it." I use mine at least twice per week. Smile

acopley

Female Posts : 10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener on 3/1/2013, 1:19 am

We don't have a juicer, but have a Vitamix blender. I hate to call it a blender, it's so much more. We prefer it over a juicer since you get to use the whole vegetable/fruit, peel and all. We use ours daily and LOVE it. It's a very powerful machine, that will plow through anything. Clean up is a snap! Fill about 1/4 with water, 2 drops of dish soap, and run it for about 30 seconds and rinse it out! No parts to take apart and clean. That's the part I was really sold on, until we used it, then the power just sold us!! They have a website, and a facebook page if you want to check them out. We really like ours!!

southern gardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  webbee on 3/1/2013, 2:35 am

In juicers, it's spendy, expensive and then there's the gov't models. The spendy ones aren't heavy duty enough to do the job. The expensive ones work, but not necessarily efficiently. Never owned the gov't models, so I can't comment.

The best one I have owned is the Champion and it's expensive. The reason it's good is because it has a large rugged motor coupled to a fairly hefty juicing component. It extracts most of the juice and if you give the pulp a second pass you get a bit more juice out. The cons are it's bulky, takes up counter space, is heavy to move, and has to be cleaned after each use, although cleaning isn't that hard. Even the expensive home units are not as good as the commercial juice bar units in terms of extraction efficiency. The Champion replaced an Acme model (also expensive) which became unbalanced and started exploding juice and pulp all over the kitchen. I couldn't recommend the centrifugal types like the Acme.

As far as juice quality, the cheapest extractor is way better than a can of V8. There truly is nothing as delicious as a mix of freshly juiced home grown garden vegetables. I use mine when I have vegetables to juice and sometimes I do carrot/apple if I get a deal on store bought.

Should you buy a juicer? It's like a cheap tool, buy cheap...buy twice. However, when you start out you usually don't know if your going to like juicing, so probably don't want to pay the cost of a good juicer. I knew the cheap tool rule and bought expensive, but not the right expensive, so I lost and bought twice.

Eventually I bought all my family Champion juicers. Some use them and some don't. I don't know if there is a way to predict which category anyone will fall into. I love mine!

In my opinion the perfect juicing appliance hasn't been invented yet. As a long term userI can think of major reasons why I don't like every juicer brand on the market. So it's a compromise. The machine extracting the most juice with the driest pulp wins the best award...and that's the gov't models.

A long story to read, that in the end you pays your money and takes your chances... Rolling Eyes

(The pulp breaks down very fast in the compost pile, so all you composters should get to juicing. Laughing )

webbee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:14 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum