Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by rajmahendra Today at 2:49 am

» New England September 2016
by RJARPCGP Today at 12:11 am

» The Research Journey:what to plant now, fall gardening in Dallas-Ft worth
by sanderson Yesterday at 9:55 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 9:53 pm

» Medical Topic...may be helpful to some folk....
by sanderson Yesterday at 9:50 pm

» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:06 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:04 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by Kelejan Yesterday at 8:37 pm

» Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:07 pm

» Another item for composting.
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:04 pm

» compost thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:10 pm

» mulching
by dstack Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 11:45 am

» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by Kelejan Yesterday at 11:42 am

» Mid-Atl - Oct 2016 - Fall Garden 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:32 am

» When is a great time to start a garden? The Fall!
by MrBooker Yesterday at 6:05 am

» NEW ENGLAND OCT 2016
by Scorpio Rising 9/24/2016, 10:02 pm

» leggy potatoes plants were started too early in the hous
by sanderson 9/24/2016, 8:31 pm

» EXPERIMENT: Tomatoes to Powder
by llama momma 9/24/2016, 1:58 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Kelejan 9/24/2016, 12:49 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by BeetlesPerSqFt 9/24/2016, 8:08 am

» Mix for making soil blocks
by trolleydriver 9/24/2016, 7:54 am

» soil testing
by Kelejan 9/23/2016, 9:26 pm

» Kale Question
by countrynaturals 9/23/2016, 9:15 pm

» Terrible News: Bumblebees In Trouble
by Scorpio Rising 9/23/2016, 8:51 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by Scorpio Rising 9/23/2016, 8:49 pm

» A traditional German dish with a Fall twist.
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:38 pm

» Apparently Radishes Need Sun
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:22 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 5:49 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Greenhouse questions??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Greenhouse questions??

Post  Hoggar on 3/5/2013, 11:36 am

Hi all when I first posted about my Greenhouse last year Plantpid said...
@plantoid wrote:
Be prepared to fumigate the greenhouse with a sulfur candle once a year , when it is empty in early spring if possible & wash everything down with a garden / greenhouse disinfectant .
I was wondering what a sulfur candle does and what is the procedure for making sure my greenhouse is ready for early planting?
I have had 3 or 4, 80+ degree days in the greenhouse and I am getting ready to start planting seeds in the greenhouse. In October we had some white flies, I hit them with insecticidal soap and every thing froze in late December. Do you think that took care of my bug problem? Any info or help will be greatly appreciated.

Hoggar

Male Posts : 304

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Greenhouse questions??

Post  plantoid on 3/5/2013, 7:26 pm

The fumes from the burning candle make a sulphur gas that kills almost all known creatures and some bacteria .... humans included Laughing .

It will also penetrate and kill larval eggs etc. it comes into contact with .

This week end gone ......
I made a 3 gallon solution of cleaner by filing my pump up garden sprayer that I use for weeds only with water then added 1/6 cup of quality hand dish wash liquid , half a cup of sodium hypochlorite bleach ( common un scented household bleach )

I removed everything from the glasshouse swept the floor and vacuumed it off to get rid of any bits of moss / moulds and insect eggs that may have developed / been laid since I closed things down in mid winter last year.
I then sprayed the inside roof aras first then the walls &b the sliding doors with eh solution and used a soft hand brush to gently agitated it in the seams of the glass & aluminium bars as well as over the surfaces of the glass . Left it on , then did the outside , used a long handled soft brush to agitate it .

Then I used my powerwasher from about two feet away to wash everything off the outsides . did the same onn the insides used the aquavac to slurp up the internal water . gently rinsed the internal glas down with spray head on nhose pipe and again vacced up the excess water then used a chamios window leather to polish the internal glas

It shines like new , you can feel the extra light/ heat the cleaning has let in . Some books say as much as 30 % more light & heat on a year old glasshouse that has not been cleaned since built.

On the floor floor I have used a half pint of correctly diluted strong garden disinfectant , worked it over the damp floor and left it to dry overnight whilst the door has been left open .
Today I lit a small sulphur candle it burnt for about an hour the doors were closed so were the vents , left the place closed up till tonight , then opened the doors , by tomorrow it will have beeen fumigated and will have also been vented of suphur fumes .

I'll be putting the five 3 x 2 wheeled canteen trolly's that I use as mobile greenhouse staging back in tomorrow afternoon after I give them a household cuts & bruises grade disinfectant wash and wipe down , then everything will be OK for this next season of propagation etc.

plantoid

Male Posts : 3591

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm on 3/5/2013, 9:05 pm

Apparently, you can make the candles yourself.

http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman/fumcandle.html

I personally have doubts about their efficacy.

However, bleach kills everything, and the chlorine disperses quickly and harmlessly.

brainchasm

Male Posts : 463

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 3/5/2013, 11:34 pm

all sounds pretty toxic to me Evil or Very Mad
Inhaled sulpher is the part of diesel exhaust that is the carcinogen

GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator on 3/5/2013, 11:50 pm

@brainchasm wrote:Apparently, you can make the candles yourself.

http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman/fumcandle.html

I personally have doubts about their efficacy.

Sulfur candles are extremely effective! Years ago we fumigated a house with them, and did not see any living creature for six months, including roaches, spiders, mice, rats.

The big problem with use for homes, is that they are extremely corrosive, and can even damage the wiring.

The other problem is that they are dangerous to the person lighting them. Before lighting, take a deep breath, and hold it while lighting, then run from the enclosure before inhaling again.

I think they are banned for home fumigation nowadays. But they used to be common - and very effective.

Pollinator

Male Posts : 444

View user profile http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoggar on 3/7/2013, 10:50 am

Thanks for all the replies.
My greenhouse isn't as fancy as yours Plantoid my "glass" is just double wall polycarbonate sheeting, but I have obtained some tempered glass I intend to use on the roof as soon as I can get them cut to size.

I am going to print out your cleaning routine and keep it in my note book for future reference.

Hoggar

Male Posts : 304

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob on 3/12/2013, 10:27 am

Yep Bleach mixed a little heavy has always worked for my Greenhouse
like 2 cups per gallon of warm or Hotwater and a good stiff brush Shocked Very Happy What a Face

HillbillyBob

Male Posts : 162

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 3/12/2013, 11:18 am

2 cups per gallon?That sounds highly toxic. I would think no more than one tablespoon per gallon would be effective. Bleach is one of the
most abused chemicals out there because people mix it way to strong. I would like to see documentation that using 2 cups per gallon is safe. I would think that concentration would be to strong in almost any application.
Bleach is also most effective in luke warm or tepid water

RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 3851

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob on 3/12/2013, 11:32 am

Yes Sir it is aheavy(strong)Mix but it kills any grems hanging about
At K-State we used the same mix for cleaning the hog barns Rolling Eyes pale thinking worked there to..I used about a 1/2 cup per gallon for cleaning rabbit cages before Kindling just be sure you rise good to and air out the green house before you start working inside it

Last edited by HillbillyBob on 3/12/2013, 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total

HillbillyBob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 3/12/2013, 11:35 am

Like I said, I would like documentation that those concentrations are safe in the interest of the forum. A little more does a lot of good is not the case when using such strong chemicals.

RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 3851

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 3/12/2013, 11:43 am

Using chlorine bleach as a green house disinfectant is not the best choice for things other than pots. Here are other recommendations from U Mass Amherst

http://extension.umass.edu/floriculture/fact-sheets/cleaning-and-disinfecting-greenhouse

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13975

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob on 3/12/2013, 11:54 am

Sorry RoosterI don't keep MSDS sheets any longer so I don't have said documention on hand just telling the members what I've done for many years and it's worked Rolling Eyes thinking thanks

HillbillyBob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob on 3/12/2013, 12:04 pm

close as I can come to a MSDS,at this time, this is from the link provided by camprn

Chlorine bleach. There are more stable products than bleach to use for disinfecting greenhouse surfaces. Chlorine bleach may be used for pots or flats, but is not recommended for application to walls, benches or flooring. When used properly, chlorine is an effective disinfectant and has been used for many years by growers. A solution of chlorine bleach and water is short-lived and the half-life (time required for 50 percent reduction in strength) of a chlorine solution is only two hours. After two hours, only one-half as much chlorine is present as was present at first. After four hours, only one-fourth is there, and so on. To ensure the effectiveness of chlorine solutions, it should be prepared fresh just before each use. The concentration normally used is one part of household bleach (5.25 percent sodium hypochlorite) to nine parts of water, giving a final strength of 0.5 percent. Chlorine is corrosive. Repeated use of chlorine solutions may be harmful to plastics or metals. Objects to be sanitized with chlorine require 30 minutes of soaking and then should be rinsed with water. Some would say that rinsing is not necessary. Bleach should be used in a well-ventilated area. It should also be noted that bleach is phytotoxic to some plants, such as poinsettias.

http://extension.umass.edu/floriculture/fact-sheets/cleaning-and-disinfecting-greenhouse

HillbillyBob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 3/12/2013, 4:15 pm

When you talk of bleach solutions and so may cups full per gallon you have to know the orginal percentages of the concentrated bleach.

For example ......

The stuff out the bottle I used in my glasshouse was around a 5% concentration and then I diluted that in 5 litres of water , it makes for a very weak final solution .

Other times when playing soldiers during the cold war doing Nuclear and Biological warfare decontaminations . We used a powdered form of chlorine bleach which we made up into a bleach paste , it stripped paint of trucks and equipment, ate rubber and boots quite nicely etc. as well as burning any exposed skin very badly . It hung around for days not hours

I used buy a sodium hypochlorite bleach ( dairy useage ) in 30 litre barrels @ 30 % or 25 % concentration . We used to use it highly diluted to sterilize all washable equipment and caging at our small mammal farm as well as giving the sealed polished concrete floors a bi monthly wash out /mopping after general deep cleaning by putting a 50 /50 % solution of 25% original strength plus no foaming detergents in the additive tank of the hot water powerwasher which in turn gave a 200 to 1 dilution at the spray nozzle .

plantoid

Male Posts : 3591

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm on 3/14/2013, 1:41 am

I use bleach in my pool. Just sayin.

See troublefreepool.com to see how effective and safe it is.

brainchasm

Male Posts : 463

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:45 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum