Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by llama momma Today at 7:58 pm

» Now What do I do?
by llama momma Today at 7:45 pm

» Ketchup - Really?
by llama momma Today at 7:43 pm

» parsnips in square foot garden?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 7:08 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:54 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:44 pm

» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:21 pm

» Newbie composting questions
by sanderson Today at 4:03 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by trolleydriver Today at 4:03 pm

» compost thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 9:23 am

» The Research Journey:free-The Gardener’s Guide TO PERFECT GARDEN SOIL
by jimmy cee Today at 8:48 am

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by MrBooker Today at 6:47 am

» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by plantoid Today at 6:22 am

» Hello from San Antonio, Tx.
by sanderson Today at 12:53 am

» 17 Everyday Things You've Been Doing Wrong
by has55 Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 11:59 am

» Mid-South: October 2016
by yolos Yesterday at 10:36 am

» In between
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2016, 8:33 pm

» Tomato Mystery Mix
by sanderson 9/28/2016, 11:26 am

» Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara
by trolleydriver 9/28/2016, 11:03 am

» newbeone
by Cajun Cappy 9/28/2016, 8:59 am

» The SFG Journey-Cover crops
by jimmy cee 9/27/2016, 9:45 pm

» Oh no! My hibiscus moscheutos plant has some roots exposed!
by RJARPCGP 9/27/2016, 9:37 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by Mimi2 9/27/2016, 8:12 pm

» New England September 2016
by sanderson 9/27/2016, 7:50 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by sanderson 9/27/2016, 2:57 pm

» Compost
by camprn 9/27/2016, 8:13 am

» Hand Pollination ?
by camprn 9/27/2016, 8:11 am

» The Research Journey:SELF-WATERING SALAD GARDEN COURSE
by has55 9/26/2016, 6:58 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Sun vs. Heat

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sun vs. Heat

Post  Hardcoir on 3/6/2013, 6:32 pm

No this isn't a question about an NBA game between Miami and Phoenix.

It's a Catch-22 situation with sunlight. Most vegetables love full sun, while a few do well in partial shade. Where we live, our summers are brutal. To make matters worse, the temperature on our block is always 5-7 degrees warmer than the city during summer days. Weather Underground-endorsed gauges prove it.

When it is 95 in the city, it is 100-102 here. Last year's extreme heat wave moved our thermometer to 116 degrees one afternoon. On a typical summer day in full sun when it is 100 degrees, the temperature can top 135 and our patio tops 150 degrees (160 in our Brinkman BBQ, almost high enough to barbecue brisket).

Does anybody have any idea at which point the full sun with oppressive heat loses out to partial shade and 35-50 degrees less heat?

For instance, would a bell pepper plant do better in 6 hours of sun with 95 degree heat than with 12 hours of sun with 135 degree heat?

I know with lettuce, parsley, and like plants that they must be given protection, but what about the full sun crops? Are there any botanical scientists out there with a computer program that shows a linear line that can be followed to determine when to provide protective shade and when not to?

Hardcoir

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sun vs. Heat

Post  JackieB999 on 3/6/2013, 7:12 pm

@Hardcoir wrote:For instance, would a bell pepper plant do better in 6 hours of sun with 95 degree heat than with 12 hours of sun with 135 degree heat?

I know with lettuce, parsley, and like plants that they must be given protection, but what about the full sun crops? Are there any botanical scientists out there with a computer program that shows a linear line that can be followed to determine when to provide protective shade and when not to?

I'm not a botanical scientist, lol, but I think 6 hours is sufficient. If your plants are showing signs of being too hot, then by all means, provide some shade for those little guys!

JackieB999

Female Posts : 125

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 3/6/2013, 8:14 pm

Many plants just stop growing when the temps rise above 90F, even tomatoes. When that happens, I would try to provide lots of shade.

In parts of Florida and Texas, I understand that many gardens in July and August just aren't producing a thing. Too hot. So its best to plan your garden so the harvest comes in BEFORE the extreme heat of your particular area.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4610

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Muckmuck on 3/6/2013, 8:40 pm

I shade my tomatoes and peppers but it doesn't do much good, they both give up when the highs break 110 and the lows are 90. I have found that for tomatoes cutting them back when the heat stymies them usually results in a burst of new growth in mid September giving me a second fall crop.

Muckmuck

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 3/6/2013, 10:01 pm

The tomatos that were in the late afternoon shade survived better last summer than the ones in full sun. But eventually all stopped setting fruit until temps dropped. The big difference is that the shaded tomatos made a comeback and the sunny ones didn't.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4302

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Same experience here

Post  Hardcoir on 3/7/2013, 12:14 pm

I won't say I am happy to hear that others share my angst with the miserable heat, but at least I know that the lack of harvest in July has been something I actually did not have a hand in.

We have ways of providing shade, so maybe I will give it a try.

Has anybody ever used ice cubes in your garden as a watering and cooling technique, and would it help any? Would this affect the plants in 100-degree weather without causing harm?

Hardcoir

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoggar on 3/7/2013, 12:47 pm

I was going to try misters last year but we didn't get toasty enough to worry about it so I never bought the parts. I don't think ice would do any good its not the roots that need cooling its the plant its self that suffers from the heat so shade and a cool breeze would probably be more useful. I have shade cloth and window screen I use to shade my cool weather crops to get a bit more mileage out of them.

Hoggar

Male Posts : 304

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 3/7/2013, 1:30 pm

I used burlap over my tomatoes last summer when we were having a heat wave for a couple weeks and they stopped growing. They received the cooler morning sun, shown in this photo, and were protected for the rest of the day.

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 on 3/7/2013, 1:45 pm

You could say that not all sun is equal. The southern sun is more direct and more harsh while the yankee sun is more gentle on living things. Down here we don't need as many hours of sun as someone further north does. If possibly give your plants sun early in the day while temps are cooler and protect them from midday and/or late afternoon sun. In some climates you just can't garden very successfully during July and August. I had to change my thinking my first year of gardening.

H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 6/23/2016, 11:44 am

@H_TX_2 wrote:You could say that not all sun is equal. The southern sun is more direct and more harsh while the yankee sun is more gentle on living things. Down here we don't need as many hours of sun as someone further north does. If possibly give your plants sun early in the day while temps are cooler and protect them from midday and/or late afternoon sun. In some climates you just can't garden very successfully during July and August. I had to change my thinking my first year of gardening.
If you're still around, What did you do differently with your planting schedule?

has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 6/23/2016, 1:17 pm

I have a theory that young plants tolerate the heat and sun better than older ones. I'm testing that theory right now by starting a 2nd crop of toms from seed. They should be ready to plant outside by the middle of July. It won't be a perfect test, since these are not the same varieties I planted earlier, but the results should still be informative. 

I do know that peppers can get sunburned, and, like others have said, most things go dormant when it hits triple-digits and can come back for a 2nd season when things cool off a little.

countrynaturals

Female Posts : 900

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 6/23/2016, 1:22 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:I have a theory that young plants tolerate the heat and sun better than older ones. I'm testing that theory right now by starting a 2nd crop of toms from seed. They should be ready to plant outside by the middle of July. It won't be a perfect test, since these are not the same varieties I planted earlier, but the results should still be informative. 

I do know that peppers can get sunburned, and, like others have said, most things go dormant when it hits triple-digits and can come back for a 2nd season when things cool off a little.
that's good to know. I need to get some shade cloth up.

has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 6/24/2016, 9:56 am

Has, I know that the summer sun at my latitude can be brutal, burning leaves and fruits, wilting the plants everyday. Shade cloth, especially from noon on (west) really, really helps. Can't do anything about the temperature, except with shade cloth, everything is cooler to the touch than out in the sun. Plus, adding light-colored mulch keeps the soil cooler and moister.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 11708

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 6/24/2016, 3:14 pm

@sanderson wrote:Has,  I know that the summer sun at my latitude can be brutal, burning leaves and fruits, wilting the plants everyday.  Shade cloth, especially from noon on (west) really, really helps.  Can't do anything about the temperature, except with shade cloth, everything is cooler to the touch than out in the sun.  Plus, adding light-colored mulch keeps the soil cooler and moister.
thanks

has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 6/24/2016, 5:01 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:I have a theory that young plants tolerate the heat and sun better than older ones. 
I now have a good test for this theory. In January, I planted dwarf kale in Jiffy Pellets, then ignored them until my new sfg was finished. They were in pretty bad shape when I put them into the garden, but we had a week or so of below average temps and now those babies are thriving. 

Today, I dropped some of the same type of seed directly into the same beds. They should be fully developed by the time we get to the worst of our summer heat. I have them marked, so I'll be able to tell if they do any better than their older cousins.

countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 6/24/2016, 10:31 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:I have a theory that young plants tolerate the heat and sun better than older ones. 
I now have a good test for this theory. In January, I planted dwarf kale in Jiffy Pellets, then ignored them until my new sfg was finished. They were in pretty bad shape when I put them into the garden, but we had a week or so of below average temps and now those babies are thriving. 

Today, I dropped some of the same type of seed directly into the same beds. They should be fully developed by the time we get to the worst of our summer heat. I have them marked, so I'll be able to tell if they do any better than their older cousins.

I LOVE experiments! cheers

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3474

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator on 6/25/2016, 12:18 am

I have to laugh, when someone refers to tomatoes as "heat loving," because they've self identified as a Yankee. In the deep South, June, July and August are the time to forget about the tomatoes, and focus on plants that truly do love heat, like okra, eggplant, sweet potatoes, and Dixie Lee peas.

Pollinator

Male Posts : 444

View user profile http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 6/25/2016, 10:16 am

@Pollinator wrote:I have to laugh, when someone refers to tomatoes as "heat loving," because they've self identified as a Yankee. In the deep South, June, July and August are the time to forget about the tomatoes, and focus on plants that truly do love heat, like okra, eggplant, sweet potatoes, and Dixie Lee peas.
Next year I'll plan better and plant smaller varieties to grow in the house for the summer months. My goal is to harvest veggies year-round, but I have a LOT to learn. geek

countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 6/25/2016, 6:38 pm

@Pollinator wrote:I have to laugh, when someone refers to tomatoes as "heat loving," because they've self identified as a Yankee. In the deep South, June, July and August are the time to forget about the tomatoes, and focus on plants that truly do love heat, like okra, eggplant, sweet potatoes, and Dixie Lee peas.
Yep, I have Lady CowPeas, White Acre CowPeas and Pinkeye Purple Hull cowpeas growing in my garden.

yolos

Female Posts : 2791

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality on 6/26/2016, 7:44 pm

@sanderson wrote:Has,  I know that the summer sun at my latitude can be brutal, burning leaves and fruits, wilting the plants everyday.  Shade cloth, especially from noon on (west) really, really helps.  Can't do anything about the temperature, except with shade cloth, everything is cooler to the touch than out in the sun.  Plus, adding light-colored mulch keeps the soil cooler and moister.

Yep, last weekend during the brutal heat wave, some do-do decided it was time to transplant the extra sweet potato slips I had in the pot that recently had the potatoes die out in.  Late in the evening, I plant, water, and forgot.

Next day was Sunday, 108F, blazing sun from 05:30 to 20:30 hours.

What happened to the sweet potato slips?

There's the twig of the stem.  There's the leaves, well, there's what were the leaves, they now have the consistency of a well done batch of kale chips.

Surprisingly, it did not kill the sweet potato. They're sending new leaves off the stems.  

Well, until today anyway.  and tomorrow, and Tuesday and Wednesday.  We'll see if the sun can finish the job.

No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 402

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 6/27/2016, 2:53 am

Do-do, Sweet potato leaves are edible so now you have real SP chips! I hope your SP revive. Absolutely miserable today with the heat and the air quality in the red. Somewhere, there was a fire to add to the misery. I hope to get up with the sun and get some of the new Agribon-30 I just received in the mail.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 11708

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  StrongAsMeat on 7/23/2016, 6:57 am

I harvested a bowl of beans, cherry tomatoes, a few zucchini and some peas twice now, and it looks like that's all I'll be getting. I've been feeding the tomatoes food and they seem to be the only ones doing good, everything else has withered, gone to seed or just stopped producing. I'll try feeding everything tomato food, but I think the damage from this crazy heat is already done. 

*My spaghetti squash isn't doing too bad even though the leaves are mostly withered. They're a good size but still green.

StrongAsMeat

Male Posts : 76

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  reynajrainwater on 7/24/2016, 12:19 am

My plants are still alive but everything except the eggplants have stopped producing. Shade cloth went up a month ago and will stay up until September. 

reynajrainwater

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 7/24/2016, 11:42 am

We finished installing our shade cloth day before yesterday. I have 3 little tomato plants in containers that I bring inside during the day and will continue that practice until about the middle of September, when temps should drop below 95. I'm hoping that experiment will help. Cukes and peppers are still producing. Melons, beans, spaghetti squash, and zukes are doing nothing. Sad

countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 8/17/2016, 12:45 pm

The verdict is in and "sun" is definitely the killer. The only plants I have still producing are under 75% shade. Anything getting even an hour of our brutal direct sun is struggling to stay alive and not producing any blossoms or fruit. The only exceptions are banana squash and delicata squash, but even those get minimum exposure to our sun. The test case turned out to be Armenian cucumbers. I planted them along 12' of my "salad bar" garden. The first 6' get 2-3 hours of sun. They aren't doing anything. The last 6' are under shade cloth and producing beautifully (3 on the vine and I just picked one on Monday). BTW, it was 112 here, yesterday. Heat just doesn't seem to matter. Shocked

countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:59 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum