Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 2:26 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM Today at 12:33 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by LizDTM Today at 12:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 8:47 pm

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 8:40 pm

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by Turan Yesterday at 5:14 pm

» Lower south Oct 2017
by brianj555 Yesterday at 5:02 pm

» Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 4:50 pm

» Thumbs Up????
by brianj555 Yesterday at 4:47 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY - ENDS 10/20/17
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:37 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:34 pm

» Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit REGISTER NOW!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:28 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by Turan Yesterday at 12:01 pm

» Hello from West Coast Of Scotland
by walshevak Yesterday at 11:44 am

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:17 am

» Today's Harvest
by brianj555 10/16/2017, 8:21 pm

» new greenhouse got drafted
by Scorpio Rising 10/16/2017, 8:08 pm

» Monarch Supporter
by Scorpio Rising 10/16/2017, 7:55 pm

» New England October 2017
by countrynaturals 10/16/2017, 1:09 pm

» October Avatar: Don't Fence Me In
by trolleydriver 10/16/2017, 11:45 am

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals 10/15/2017, 3:51 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 10/15/2017, 3:28 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 10/15/2017, 11:34 am

» Leaf-Footed squash bugs
by sanderson 10/14/2017, 11:21 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by Scorpio Rising 10/14/2017, 9:12 pm

» Tomato Questions
by Scorpio Rising 10/14/2017, 9:06 pm

» large plant ID stakes
by has55 10/14/2017, 4:02 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 10/14/2017, 3:12 am

» First time growing corn
by sanderson 10/14/2017, 3:07 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

New SFG in NC

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New SFG in NC

Post  Ajosin on 3/11/2013, 6:35 pm

Here is my 1st SFG put together after reading Mel's latest SFG book. I raised the soil from the floor due to the neighbor's young maple tree lurking in the background (so the roots won't shoot like arrows into Mel's mix). Followed the book, except that I used roofing materials for the bottom of the boxes (lighter/cheaper and should last longer than plywood in my opinion). Can send pics of how to build a bottom of a box this way if anyone is interested.





Last edited by Ajosin on 3/11/2013, 6:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
avatar
Ajosin

Male Posts : 7
Join date : 2013-03-11
Location : Raleigh, NC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New SFG in NC

Post  CapeCoddess on 3/11/2013, 6:38 pm

glad you\'re here

That progression is pretty cool. What are you grids made of?

CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6454
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New SFG in NC

Post  Ajosin on 3/11/2013, 6:41 pm

CapeCoddess wrote: glad you\'re here

That progression is pretty cool. What are you grids made of?

CC

Cheap blinds (one of the materials that Mel recommends). Have a lot left over which I'm using as plant marker signs after cutting them into ~ 5'' strips that I can stake into the ground - works pretty well with a sharpie. Very Happy
avatar
Ajosin

Male Posts : 7
Join date : 2013-03-11
Location : Raleigh, NC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New SFG in NC

Post  Ajosin on 3/11/2013, 7:34 pm

I forgot to mention, I used copper tape to repel the slugs (you can see it in the picture). Hope it works.
avatar
Ajosin

Male Posts : 7
Join date : 2013-03-11
Location : Raleigh, NC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New SFG in NC

Post  victoria on 3/11/2013, 7:39 pm

That looks pretty cool ! Cant wait to see how they look all grown in - love the copper tape - looks pretty and it works great from what I have seen. What did you use on the bottom ? Very curious ....
avatar
victoria

Female Posts : 40
Join date : 2010-04-22
Location : Columbia, SC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New SFG in NC

Post  CapeCoddess on 3/11/2013, 7:48 pm

Ajosin wrote:I forgot to mention, I used copper tape to repel the slugs (you can see it in the picture). Hope it works.

Please please let us know if this works. I have oodles of slugs and would love something that works (besides Sluggo).

CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6454
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New SFG in NC

Post  Ajosin on 3/11/2013, 8:19 pm

victoria wrote:That looks pretty cool ! Cant wait to see how they look all grown in - love the copper tape - looks pretty and it works great from what I have seen. What did you use on the bottom ? Very curious ....

Sorry, I'm getting an error message about posting external links (something about being a new member).

To see what I used go to the home depot website and search for "8 ft. Galvanized Steel Corrugated Roof Panel".

I cut it in half with heavy duty kitchen scissors and screwed it to the bottom of the 4x4 frame.
avatar
Ajosin

Male Posts : 7
Join date : 2013-03-11
Location : Raleigh, NC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New SFG in NC

Post  Ajosin on 3/11/2013, 8:26 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
Ajosin wrote:I forgot to mention, I used copper tape to repel the slugs (you can see it in the picture). Hope it works.

Please please let us know if this works. I have oodles of slugs and would love something that works (besides Sluggo).

CC

Will do, but there are very good reviews for the tape at amazon.com (search for "slug tape"). Unfortunately it is sold in 15ft rolls. It would be perfect for SFG if it were 16ft! Not a big deal for me due to posts/elevation on two of my three beds. I did bite the bullet and spend the money on a second tape to surround the bed that is on the ground due to the good reviews.
avatar
Ajosin

Male Posts : 7
Join date : 2013-03-11
Location : Raleigh, NC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New SFG in NC

Post  Lindacol on 3/11/2013, 8:43 pm

Ajosin wrote:
victoria wrote:That looks pretty cool ! Cant wait to see how they look all grown in - love the copper tape - looks pretty and it works great from what I have seen. What did you use on the bottom ? Very curious ....

Sorry, I'm getting an error message about posting external links (something about being a new member).

To see what I used go to the home depot website and search for "8 ft. Galvanized Steel Corrugated Roof Panel".

I cut it in half with heavy duty kitchen scissors and screwed it to the bottom of the 4x4 frame.

How did you reinforce it? What about drainage? Did you drill holes in it?
avatar
Lindacol

Posts : 777
Join date : 2011-01-23
Location : Bloomington, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New SFG in NC

Post  Ajosin on 3/11/2013, 9:26 pm

Lindacol wrote:
Ajosin wrote:
victoria wrote:That looks pretty cool ! Cant wait to see how they look all grown in - love the copper tape - looks pretty and it works great from what I have seen. What did you use on the bottom ? Very curious ....

Sorry, I'm getting an error message about posting external links (something about being a new member).

To see what I used go to the home depot website and search for "8 ft. Galvanized Steel Corrugated Roof Panel".

I cut it in half with heavy duty kitchen scissors and screwed it to the bottom of the 4x4 frame.

How did you reinforce it? What about drainage? Did you drill holes in it?

I added one small lumber board (1"x4") across the middle of the box. Not sure if if is needed, but I added it just in case. You can see the edge of the lumber board if you look closely my profile picture near the center-bottom of the SFG box.

I did drill holes for drainage (just like Mel recommends in his book in the case of plywood).


Here are some pictures of the sheet as I was putting it together.




It is more than 24'' wide (25.75) so there is a nice overlap in the middle of the box.



The re-enforcing lumber board went perpendicular to the overlap.
avatar
Ajosin

Male Posts : 7
Join date : 2013-03-11
Location : Raleigh, NC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New SFG in NC

Post  Dunkinjean on 3/11/2013, 10:08 pm

Wow, great idea and your SFG beds look awesome!
Did you also have to line the bottom of the beds with weed cloth?
Will the galvanized steel make the beds too hot? (May be a silly question).
I love the idea of the copper tape for slugs. My son in West Falls, NY has a slug problem. I will definitely tell him about it.
Looks like you did your reading - best of luck!
avatar
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 675
Join date : 2010-05-05
Age : 62
Location : Central NJ - From 6A to 7A 2012

View user profile http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New SFG in NC

Post  Ajosin on 3/11/2013, 10:58 pm

Dunkinjean wrote:Wow, great idea and your SFG beds look awesome!
Did you also have to line the bottom of the beds with weed cloth?
Will the galvanized steel make the beds too hot? (May be a silly question).
I love the idea of the copper tape for slugs. My son in West Falls, NY has a slug problem. I will definitely tell him about it.
Looks like you did your reading - best of luck!

No weed cloth needed.

I think you are right about the temperature: metal will conduct the heat so the soil will cool/heat up faster vs. plywood. Hadn't thought of that. We'll see what happens.
avatar
Ajosin

Male Posts : 7
Join date : 2013-03-11
Location : Raleigh, NC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New SFG in NC

Post  Lindacol on 3/12/2013, 12:02 am

Ajosin wrote:
Dunkinjean wrote:Wow, great idea and your SFG beds look awesome!
Did you also have to line the bottom of the beds with weed cloth?
Will the galvanized steel make the beds too hot? (May be a silly question).
I love the idea of the copper tape for slugs. My son in West Falls, NY has a slug problem. I will definitely tell him about it.
Looks like you did your reading - best of luck!

No weed cloth needed.

I think you are right about the temperature: metal will conduct the heat so the soil will cool/heat up faster vs. plywood. Hadn't thought of that. We'll see what happens.

I wouldn't worry too much about the temperature with metal only on the bottom. The bases for my tabletops are old, heavy, security screen doors and I am in zone 9B.

This side became the top of the base


This side is the bottom


These are the 2 beds in June of last year


My only concern for your beds is if there is enough support for the middle of the beds. Wet Mel's Mix can be very heavy. Along with the miscellaneous stuff I have stored under the beds noticed there is blocks supporting the middle.
avatar
Lindacol

Posts : 777
Join date : 2011-01-23
Location : Bloomington, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New SFG in NC

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum