Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 1:32 pm

by Turan Today at 1:18 pm

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 12:57 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by sanderson Today at 12:53 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by sanderson Today at 12:40 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:32 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:56 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by countrynaturals Today at 10:42 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Today at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Today at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:52 pm

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver 12/1/2016, 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 1:22 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 12:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Savannah, Georgia

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from Savannah, Georgia

Post  jazzycat on 3/12/2013, 10:18 pm

Hello. I just wanted to introduce myself. I am relatively new to gardening (I've grown a few things a couple of times in containers, a long time ago), but I want to actually grow enough of certain types of food to sustain myself and my family, at least with regard to those things. I live in the beautiful old city of Savannah, and the climate here is challenging during the summer, due to the humidity and extreme heat we can sometimes get, in addition to downpours of rain.

I just bought the SFG book and also a couple of books on vertical gardening. I'm looking forward to learning and growing and being able to walk outside and pick a nice, big, juicy, stripped tomato to eat. In my (very limited) experience, there is nothing quite as satisfying as being able to walk outside into your yard and pick your dinner. Very Happy

This year I'm planning on growing a lot of tomatoes (I've started 10 different varieties from Wild Boar Farms), some fruit (I bought some blueberry bushes, a Meyer Lemon tree, a Red Navel Orange tree, a Ruby Red Grapefruit tree and a Haas Avocado tree), and various lettuces and greens like kale and chard. I also got some carrots and beets, and I plan on growing some zukes, cukes, beans and possibly eggplant. Those are all things I eat a lot, so I figured they were the things I should grow. I'm also planning on growing a ton of strawberries and some herbs and flowers. My main focus is really going to be on the tomatoes though, and strawberries.

Do you think I might be overdoing it a bit? Shocked affraid

jazzycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Savannah, Georgia

Post  cheyannarach on 3/13/2013, 12:21 am

I like to overdo things so I don't think you are, lol! glad you\'re here to the forum! Just a tip, look into preventative measures for pests like squash vine borers and cucumber beetles. I don't have a problem with many bugs is SD but I have read a lot of stories from other gardeners further south than me that seems to be their biggest battle, so try to stop them before they start!

I also agree tomatoes are where it's at... drooling

cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat on 3/13/2013, 12:35 am

I'm trying to create a little "club" here for support, with a few friends who garden. And I'm reaching out to a few experienced people as well. The people who own the hydroponics store in town are very cool people, and I'm learning there is actually a "slow food" movement going on here, which I didn't know. So hopefully I will have a lot of support in that area, because Savannah is prone to all kinds of bugs, and probably diseases as well, that relate to the high humidity. When I lived in Los Angeles, the weather and climate was perfect for growing anything and everything! I miss that!

jazzycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper on 3/13/2013, 7:00 am

glad you\'re here jazzycat to the forum. I am from across the state from ya but also Ga. Seems like you have been doing your 'reading up'. As a now second year rookie I understand the need for a support group. The folks here have not failed me to now. Sometimes they may tire of my questions but help is but a post away.

Best of luck with your gardens here in the south.

Pepper

Male Posts : 564

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 3/13/2013, 4:32 pm

I don't get sick of questions Pepper! Plus I still ask plenty myself! Very Happy You found the right forum Jazzy, it full of great people from all over with all sorts of different experiences! South Dakota is pretty easy as far as bugs and humidity, my struggles are with deer and hail, not to mention the short season!

cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johnsonjlj on 3/14/2013, 6:08 am

Welcome, jazzycat! I'm about 3 hours southeast of you in Lake City, FL. Yes, it can be very challenging with the heat, humidity & bugs, but also extremely rewarding!! My first year I gardened in raised beds, but non-SFG. During that year a very close friend told me about Mel and SFG. After losing her to a brain aneurysm that fall, I saw the book in my local Lowe's and bought it. It has completely changed the way I do everything!! I started with our existing 4x16 raised beds and expanded every year- we currently have about 350 square feet which we share with my husband's parents and grandmother, along with my mother. This is a fantastic group of gardening friends on this site who bring years of experience and wisdom, something we all need whether its your first year or your third!

With our warmer winter weather and some preparation, we can grow almost year-round here. The exceptions are late July and August, when it's too hot for a lot of things such as tomatoes (but with shade cloth you can help them go a little longer and keep our extreme summer sun from burning eggplant and peppers). For us, lettuce is really a fall/winter/spring crop since it heats up here so fast- the heat causes lettuce to bolt and will cause carrots to be bitter. Contact your local extension office or find the website from the university in Georgia which has a strong agricultural program. They'll have information online which is specific to Georgia about suggested plant times and which varieties do well. Enjoy!

johnsonjlj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat on 3/14/2013, 12:11 pm

Thanks Judi! I thought about the shade thing during the hottest months. I'm going to put a number of tomatoes in containers so I will be able to move them where they get shade during the hottest part of the day, but with the ones that go in the beds, I'll have to do something else. I know people say certain kinds of tomatoes do better here than others, but I opted to try the ones from Wild Boar Farms anyway. I'm hoping at least some of them do OK, and since these are mostly tomatoes that he developed they aren't like other tomatoes on the market (at least, I don't think they are).

I know someone who used to live here who had a tomato plant that was 5 or 6 years old. He said every year the tomatoes got sweeter and juicier and the plant produced more than the previous year. He had it in a container that he brought inside during the winter. I don't know what kind of plant it was, but before him, I had no idea they could live year after year and produce like that. Smile

jazzycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper on 3/14/2013, 4:25 pm

I am sorry cheyannarach; I was not thinking this would be taken this way: "I don't get sick of questions Pepper!". I only meant to be humorus. I second "this is the RIGHT FORUM; WITH PLENTY OF GREAT FOLKS"!!!!

Pepper

Male Posts : 564

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hello from savannah, GA

Post  cbrown59 on 3/23/2013, 6:26 pm

Hey Jazzycat from SUGA West, Savannah Urban Garden Assocation Westside! I came across this website while expanding my garden. This year I have 12 different vegetables planted within a 120 sqft in ground garden. I expanded from last year after I had a dynamic cucumber harvest and okra up till October!

I also have a 4'x4'x4' compost bin. Summers in Savannah can be challenging and urban gardening is hot right about now. The City of Savannah has a program to work with vacant lots and neighborhoods interested in raised bed gardening.

Good to see others taking an interest in gardening and putting our city in a good light!

cbrown59

Male Posts : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:42 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum