Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:14 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 9:52 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 9:45 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 9:08 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by trolleydriver Today at 9:04 am

» Amaranth
by dstack Today at 8:05 am

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 4:09 am

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by sanderson Today at 4:03 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:42 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:42 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 2:04 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Yesterday at 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess 12/3/2016, 12:32 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 3:39 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from sunny Modesto, California!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from sunny Modesto, California!

Post  ncolindres on 3/14/2013, 12:10 pm

Good morning! My name is Nicole and this will be my 3rd year planting in my 1 and only 4 x 4 square foot garden. In 2011, I planted tomatoes, peppers and zucchini and made lots of vegetarian pizza from scratch. Yum! Last year, my teenage son got in on the action and we planted the same plus pumpkin and cantaloupe and some HOT HOT HOT peppers. Unfortunately, we suffered a serious aphid attack and lost most of our vegis mid-summer. Sad This year, I have planted spinach, onions, kale and collards. Most of my plantings have been from transplants. A couple of days ago, I contacted PNG_Grandma as she and her hubby live nearby. flower My husband and I are excited to visit her beautiful community garden and hopefully gain some inspiration and confidence to build more boxes and plant more vegetables (from seed) and learn what works and what doesn't for our area. I cannot express what a joy my little garden has provided my family and me. Now if only I can come up with a solution to keeping cats out of my garden! :cat:

ncolindres

Female Posts : 6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from sunny Modesto, California!

Post  Roseinarosecity on 3/14/2013, 8:01 pm

Welcome! The aphids have now arrived here in Pasadena, CA. I found them in my garlic and onions! I quickly blasted them with water and I will keep my eyes on these plants from now until harvest. I'm also getting out the herbal spray I bought last year just in case I am using too much water.

Last year my sister had trouble with rabbits, so she added four PVC post and placed nylon tulle around the border to prevent them from an easy hop into her beds. It worked. Something like this:
http://www.gardeners.com/Small-Animal-Barriers/40-335RS,default,pd.html?start=8&cgid=YardPests_DogsCats

Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 174

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli on 3/14/2013, 11:26 pm

@Roseinarosecity wrote:Welcome! The aphids have now arrived here in Pasadena, CA. I found them in my garlic and onions! I quickly blasted them with water and I will keep my eyes on these plants from now until harvest. I'm also getting out the herbal spray I bought last year just in case I am using too much water.

Last year my sister had trouble with rabbits, so she added four PVC post and placed nylon tulle around the border to prevent them from an easy hop into her beds. It worked. Something like this:
http://www.gardeners.com/Small-Animal-Barriers/40-335RS,default,pd.html?start=8&cgid=YardPests_DogsCats

Rose, you're in Pasadena? We're practically next door in Tujunga Smile

I have my boxes covered with tulle right now to keep bugs off my seedlings (they were getting decapitated Sad ) and I use a 2-strand electric fence around it to keep critters out. I doubt it would work for cats because they can jump, but (sad to say) the local coyotes keep the cat population in check here so they have not been a problem

I'm a huge fan of food-grade diatomaceous earth for aphids and their ant farmers. Just ordered another 5 pounds from Amazon which should last a couple of years at least. The ants won't go anywhere near it, and it kills aphids. YES.

Coelli

Female Posts : 300

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ncolindres on 3/15/2013, 11:18 am

I think the tulle or bird netting might be my best option. Yesterday afternoon there were to yellow butterflies "dancing" around my box. I looked hilarious trying to shoo them away. Looked a little like this... carrot

ncolindres

Female Posts : 6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity on 3/15/2013, 12:26 pm

Coelli, I am in Pasadena. Tujunga would be 25 minutes away? Are you near the Theodore Payne Foundation for California native plants? I go down there once in a while.

I have food grade diatomaceous earth (DE) but I haven't thought about using it because once you wet it the DE won't work. I'll consider it and maybe alternate applications if I need to reapply. I bought my DE at a horse store in Glendale. Thanks.

Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 174

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli on 3/16/2013, 12:53 am

@Roseinarosecity wrote:Coelli, I am in Pasadena. Tujunga would be 25 minutes away? Are you near the Theodore Payne Foundation for California native plants? I go down there once in a while.

I have food grade diatomaceous earth (DE) but I haven't thought about using it because once you wet it the DE won't work. I'll consider it and maybe alternate applications if I need to reapply. I bought my DE at a horse store in Glendale. Thanks.

Yes, we're right up the 210 from you. I haven't been to the Theodore Payne Foundation but that sounds like a very Tujunga-like thing, lol. In fact the community has just adopted the corner of Foothill and Fenwick, where the "Welcome to Sunland-Tujunga" sign is, to plant a welcome garden of mostly native plants. Being so close to the Angeles National Forest, this is an oddly rural area considering it's part of the city of L.A., but it's very cool (I've only lived here 2 years, but my other half grew up here).

I think DE will start to work again once dry on the ground; but you're right, it rinses off the plants. I re-apply if it rains (HA!) or after watering. So far no aphids here, but the ants and fungus gnats are having a blast. I found one little grasshopper-like guy before the tulle went on and everything seems to be fine now.

Coelli

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli on 3/16/2013, 12:55 am

@ncolindres wrote:I think the tulle or bird netting might be my best option. Yesterday afternoon there were to yellow butterflies "dancing" around my box. I looked hilarious trying to shoo them away. Looked a little like this... carrot

Haha!

I used tulle last year to great effect, especially around my potted tomatoes and basil while they were small. It doesn't keep everything out, but it keeps most of the flying bugs away. Smile I will be wrapping some of my tomatoes again this year as they start to flower so I can save the seeds (especially Blue Berry Blend, which several friends have requested seeds from).

Coelli

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:36 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum