Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 6:38 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Today at 6:11 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by jimmy cee Today at 5:35 pm

by trolleydriver Today at 4:14 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 1:32 pm

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 12:57 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by sanderson Today at 12:40 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:32 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:56 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Today at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Today at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:52 pm

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver 12/1/2016, 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 1:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!)

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!)

Post  B00kemdano on 3/25/2013, 5:11 pm

yarly!

I'm in Huntsville, AL, and it's been lightly flurrying all day here. Just yesterday it was pretty pleasant outside. I got my TTs cleaned out, added composts, and started making some watering grids.

We were all set to bury some seeds today, but it looks like we're watching Spongebob and drinking hot chocolate, instead. Sad

B00kemdano

Male Posts : 131

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 3/25/2013, 5:42 pm

Y'all are making up for that other 50% of 50% frost free by March 24. If it's any consolation, y'all are in good company and smart gardeners to have covers at the ready.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 3/25/2013, 7:22 pm

We are going to have 3 to 4 nights of freezing weather as others above have said. Usually it only goes below freezing for a single night. We are not used to this so I have a question. I have some spring (cool weather) veggies planted but I do not know how low the temperatures can go before they will be damaged. They have all been in the ground for at least two weeks and are hardened off. The lowest temp this week is predicted to be 28*. So, what temperature lows can the following veggies withstand (or is there a web site I can get this information from):

Broccoli
Carrots
Lettuce
Garlic
Onions
Potatoes
Spinach
Sweet peas

I have covered all of these but it is a pain uncovering them in the morning before work and then rushing home to cover them again before dark. Any help will be appreciated. I think next year I need to figure the temps they can withstand and then plant like minded veggies in the same beds. Covering and uncovering four beds is no fun. I am sure some of these veggies can easily withstand 28*

yolos

Female Posts : 2856

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 3/25/2013, 8:05 pm

If your weather is anything like mine, your daytime temps are above 40 and the freezing temps occur between midnight and 6 am. I just covered mine with old sheets last year. By the time I'm up and ready to leave the house, the sun is out and it is safe to take the sheets off. I've recovered them as late at 10 pm with no problems.

I had some well developed lettuce transplants that got crispy frozen that I though would be goners, but they thawed out and perked right up.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Spring? Brr... - Honeysuckle, not the GA gardener's friend

Post  Windmere on 3/25/2013, 8:10 pm

@Hardcoir wrote:March 25 in the Sunny South, and it is 35 degrees with snow flurries! We could even receive measurable snow tonight.

I wish we could go back to "global warming" weather, like 4 years ago when we had to run AC in January and February.

Now, mark my words. After a couple days of this crap, it will be 80 with thunderstorms, and thousands will get sick again.

As for all my brothers and sisters that posted about this above, I feel for all of you. Growing our own food is a dedication and labor of love, and we do not need the headache of one stinking night below freezing to mess it all up.

I have enough blankets to cover, and I will be out there watering everything tonight to deter frost. On the bright side, when I catch pneumonia, I will be able to stay in bed and check in on this forum more often.

As for honeysuckle, it is more invasive here than kudzu. You think you have uprooted it, and it laughs in your face. We have it growing in the edges of our driveway, and I cannot uproot it.

When it blooms, my nose thinks the nostrils have been concreted shut.

It's times like these, where I daydream about having some nice desert property off Route 66 northeast of Kingman, Arizona. There's this nice little hidden town called, Peach Springs, where I remember breathing like I had an oxygen mask on my face.

When we first moved to Georgia, I have never really paid attention to the weather. I just went with the flow and adjusted to the extremes as best I could.

Now... I monitor my weather App ever three hours or so to keep up with frost warnings. I never in a million years thought I would end up being a quasi meteorologist. Grrr!

Hardcoir, when I lived in Los Angeles, honeysuckle was a prized plant on our chain link fence. It did not really grow "wild."

When my family and I came to Georgia, we thought: "Wow, look at all the beautiful sweet smelling honeysuckle!!"

Little did we know that it really is a villainous weed that chokes neighboring plants a spews substances that cause one's allergies to register off the charts.

Mad

Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johnsonjlj on 3/25/2013, 11:12 pm

I live in north Florida and this is only my second year with a garden. Last year we planted all of our transplants the first weekend in March. By the first of April we were planting okra, with a soil temperature above 70 degrees. Not this year! We are expecting a light freeze tonight (low of 32 degrees for an hour or two), low tomorrow night around 34 degrees. Needless to say the frost blankets are over all of the raised beds and over the blooming Orange tree and Fruit Cocktail tree. Over the tomato transplants are 5 gallon buckets (under the frost blankets). Regular blankets are over the strawberry bed and over the blueberry bushes, which are in full bloom. We've had one other light freeze since I planted all of my transplants a couple of weeks ago, which I started from seed. I guess you live and learn. Next year I'll pay closer attention to my husband's peach tree, which is just about to start budding. I'll plant everything outside when it buds out!

johnsonjlj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 3/26/2013, 2:28 pm

We just had a few snow flakes coming down in South Atlanta. It is supposed to be 27* tonight in Brooks, Ga. BRRRRR.

yolos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper on 3/26/2013, 2:33 pm

BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRR is right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The misses checked all my covered beds this morning and said everything is ok. Gona be cold again tonight so I am not uncovering anything. So far the 'maters are doing ok even with this cold, hopefully we both will be LUCKY.

Your 'just far enough to the south neighbor'

Pepper

Male Posts : 564

View user profile

Back to top Go down

We had a dusting

Post  Hardcoir on 3/26/2013, 3:55 pm

We had a dusting of snow, which is what we had 4 other times this winter. I cannot remember seeing the sun for the last 6 days, although I may be off by a day.

As for the honeysuckle, I have to give it credit for one thing. We have acres and acres of woods in the back of our property (as well as 8 other properties bordering them). We have a rather nice nature trail up there, and the property is quite steep. The trail loops up one side and down the other with several switchbacks and 180-degree curves. In other we see all of these woods. There is not one trace of poison oak or ivy in these woods. The honeysuckle has invaded and taken over.

As for our garden, everything made it through the night okay, but we could sure use some drier, sunnier days. It is really hard to begin to harden the summer veggies.

Hardcoir

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Future temps forcasted to be much warmer

Post  Windmere on 3/26/2013, 4:10 pm

@yolos wrote:We just had a few snow flakes coming down in South Atlanta. It is supposed to be 27* tonight in Brooks, Ga. BRRRRR.

We had snow flurries earlier this afternoon. It's going to be 29 in Fayetteville. I've looked at the forecast, and I see that daytime temperatures will be going up a few days from now.

Good grief! thinking

Windmere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles on 3/26/2013, 5:15 pm

All we gotta do is hang in there until Good Friday and it looks like this will be behind us. YEEHAW!

Can't wait to get my plants in the ground.

bnoles

Male Posts : 804

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cj32769 on 3/26/2013, 7:19 pm

Hey I am checking in from North Augusta SC/Augusta GA and the weather is cold! I have all my seedling back inside because the mix isn't finished and the little 4 shelf greenhouse is full. I have heard the big golf course has an inground grid now and they can heat or cool the azaleas for the upcoming rush to the "tuna mint" as they call it here. Either way I am blaming it on an Early Easter and the fake spring we had a week ago was just that a fake spring. It was just enough to give us all Spring Fever! Everybody take care.

cj32769

Male Posts : 26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 3/27/2013, 8:04 am

@Hardcoir wrote:We had a dusting of snow, which is what we had 4 other times this winter. I cannot remember seeing the sun for the last 6 days, although I may be off by a day.

As for the honeysuckle, I have to give it credit for one thing. We have acres and acres of woods in the back of our property (as well as 8 other properties bordering them). We have a rather nice nature trail up there, and the property is quite steep. The trail loops up one side and down the other with several switchbacks and 180-degree curves. In other we see all of these woods. There is not one trace of poison oak or ivy in these woods. The honeysuckle has invaded and taken over.

As for our garden, everything made it through the night okay, but we could sure use some drier, sunnier days. It is really hard to begin to harden the summer veggies.

One of the hardest yard problems I've ever had to deal with was a mixture of Honeysuckle and Poison Ivy. Even roundup didn't do it. Had to be dug out very carefully as I can get vicious cases of poison ivy. And then I moved. Smile

I agree, the cold weather has put a hurting on my cool weather crops in the Wilmington NC garden. Some are surviving but not growing. Some didn't make it but I think more because of the tops being nibbled than the weather.
Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles on 3/27/2013, 9:03 am

My temp read 28 degrees this morning when I got up. It is now up to 34 so I took my cup of Java outdoors with me to uncover my table top and check on things. Looks like my lettuce is frozen as is the soil in all of my planters. Will just have to wait until later today to evaluate the damage. Still early to replant if need be, but I sure hate to lose 3 weeks growing time on what I planted. Just the risks of gardening I guess. Good thing I brought all of my seedlings indoors last night or I would have really had a disaster.

bnoles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 3/27/2013, 10:23 am

My temps were low of 29. I had to leave for work at 7:00 am and had to slightly open the hoop covers before leaving. I have not had a chance to see what is frozen and probably won't take the covering off the beds until Friday. I am slightly venting them during the day and don't get home from work until 5:30 pm to close the openings. So they will probably freeze at night and fry during the sunny days.

yolos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper on 3/28/2013, 12:39 pm

OH WELL!!! Everything in the flip tops did well; but all there is somewhat cold hardy. I did not think the taters would be hurt....wrong! Many of the leaves are now black but none of the whole plant are black! Maybe just maybe I dodged a bullet.

another plant

My tomatoes in the teepee did fairly well, some discoloration on a few branches; time will tell.

the worst one of the three damaged(of nine total), leaf near blackened and curled

Pepper

Male Posts : 564

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Looks pretty good.

Post  Windmere on 3/28/2013, 1:24 pm

Looks like your plants survived pretty well. Glad to see that and thanks for posting photos.

We are going to set up our beds this weekend.... hoping weather in central GA is going to be ok for remainder of spring.

Happy gardening!!

cheers

Windmere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator on 3/28/2013, 3:17 pm

@johnsonjlj wrote: Next year I'll pay closer attention to my husband's peach tree, which is just about to start budding. I'll plant everything outside when it buds out!

My peach and plum trees are in full bloom - and we've just been through three nights of frost here, with one more expected tonight.

I've wrapped the trees each night - a royal pain. And I'm glad I haven't set out my 'maters yet. I may set a few this weekend, and be prepared to cover them. This is the latest spring I've seen in years.

Pollinator

Male Posts : 444

View user profile http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat on 3/28/2013, 3:22 pm

The weather is crazy for this time of year! I'm sooooo glad I haven't built the beds yet, because I probably would have put out the tomatoes and they would have all died. Will probably be building the beds next week. YAY! I won't put the plants out until mid-April though, just to be sure.

jazzycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 on 3/28/2013, 5:02 pm

Pollinator:

About how many years has it been since you had such a late spring in your area?

I'm a casual student of climatology and am trying to look at current variables and medium-term trends, such as 30-year cycles/

donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1916

View user profile http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  cj32769 on 3/28/2013, 7:46 pm

As of now the 10 day looks pretty good here in Augusta so I am going to start moving some of my plants out this weekend. I still need to fill my beds and it looks like it will be Tuesday before I have my final ingredients to do so Mad! I cannot wait!

cj32769

Male Posts : 26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles on 3/28/2013, 7:54 pm

So far so good. I have escaped the cold temps and heavy winds with zero loss or damage to any of my plants and from the looks of the forecast, all I have to do is make it thru tonight. Tomorrow is Good Friday and I have all my seedlings purchased sitting in the kitchen waiting for the temp to rise in the morning and in the ground everything goes. Tomatoes, peppers, squash, okra and zucchini along with a multitude of seeds like beans, cucumbers etc. I can't wait... like a kid waiting on morning to see what Santa left. WEEEEEEEEEE!

bnoles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 3/28/2013, 10:10 pm

@bnoles wrote:Tomorrow is Good Friday and I have all my seedlings purchased sitting in the kitchen waiting for the temp to rise in the morning and in the ground everything goes. Tomatoes, peppers, squash, okra and zucchini along with a multitude of seeds like beans, cucumbers etc. I can't wait... like a kid waiting on morning to see what Santa left. WEEEEEEEEEE!

Are you sure you should be planting tomatoes this early. Next week there are a few days where the night time temps will be in the high 30's and low 40's. I understood that tomatoes do not like temps below 50*-55*.

I know the wisdom here is to plant on good friday, BUT good friday came early this year.

Easter 2011 - April 24, 2011
Easter 2012 - April 8, 2012
Easter 2013 - March 31, 2013
Easter 2014 - April 20, 2014
Easter 2015 - April 5, 2015

As you can see, good friday came real early this year. So if you plant your tomatoes this weekend, I would think you would have to keep them warm at night. I know the days will be warm enough but I am not sure about the nights.

Maybe someone else will chime in to give you their opinion. Someone from the north should be better able to help you with what low temps tomatoes can withstand.

yolos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Planting Tomatoes

Post  Windmere on 3/29/2013, 12:10 am

@yolos wrote:
@bnoles wrote:Tomorrow is Good Friday and I have all my seedlings purchased sitting in the kitchen waiting for the temp to rise in the morning and in the ground everything goes. Tomatoes, peppers, squash, okra and zucchini along with a multitude of seeds like beans, cucumbers etc. I can't wait... like a kid waiting on morning to see what Santa left. WEEEEEEEEEE!

Are you sure you should be planting tomatoes this early. Next week there are a few days where the night time temps will be in the high 30's and low 40's. I understood that tomatoes do not like temps below 50*-55*.

I know the wisdom here is to plant on good friday, BUT good friday came early this year.

Easter 2011 - April 24, 2011
Easter 2012 - April 8, 2012
Easter 2013 - March 31, 2013
Easter 2014 - April 20, 2014
Easter 2015 - April 5, 2015

As you can see, good friday came real early this year. So if you plant your tomatoes this weekend, I would think you would have to keep them warm at night. I know the days will be warm enough but I am not sure about the nights.

Maybe someone else will chime in to give you their opinion. Someone from the north should be better able to help you with what low temps tomatoes can withstand.

Yolos, you posted some very interesting statistics. You have given me some food for thought concerning my Black Krim seedlings. Being a Los Angeles transplant, I have zero understanding of proper planting times here in Georgia. I am going off of the wisdom of you and other Central South residents. Plus, I am a completely novice gardener. I suppose if I mess up I could pick up some tomato plants from a nursery, but the sport of "growing your own" adds to the fun of it all. By the way, sorry I couldn't remember it was you who recommended Swint's. My memory has gotten really bad in my old age!

Windmere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles on 3/29/2013, 6:36 am

Hi yolos,

Thanks for your most informative post and I find that you are dead on about things being early this year. I have allowed myself to get overly excited and eager to get going (cabin fever sets in about now every year). According to the official planting guide for my area, I should plant on April 12 this year. It appears that I need to rethink today's plans and decide whether to roll the dice or play the safe bet.

Thanks again for the heads up.

bnoles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:55 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum