Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by countrynaturals Today at 12:12 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals Today at 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:14 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 9:52 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 9:45 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 9:08 am

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 4:09 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:42 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:42 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 2:04 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Yesterday at 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess 12/3/2016, 12:32 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 3:39 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

PNW: April 2013

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

PNW: April 2013

Post  gwennifer on 4/2/2013, 12:02 pm

Oh my, seventy degree weather for four days in a row at my place. I finally got to dig in the dirt yesterday and got a lot of planting done, but alas it was nothing but ornamentals in the shade.

Follow this link for What To Plant Now in the PNW courtesy of Mother Earth News. Plenty to be done both inside and outside for the garden - not too late to start if you're new! Ask questions and post pictures. We love to hear from new and old alike!

gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1413

View user profile http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Re: PNW: April 2013

Post  smriti on 4/3/2013, 1:48 pm

We've up-planted most of our seedlings! I hope they grow into beautiful and handsome transplants! cheers
Basil, Oregano and squash are remaining. Hope to have them up-planted by end of the week.

smriti

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening on 4/4/2013, 12:13 am

thats awesome smriti cheers

we had another sunny day today....it was a bit colder though....we have a chance of rain tomorrow....

in our SFG the parsnips and turnips are sprouting :drunken: the garlic is all up....their tips are a bit brown though...not sure why that is... thinking ....the over winter carrots are still growing albino no sign of our Scarlet runner beans....we were hoping they would come back up from last year....not sure how long to give them....by Mel's charts we are to plant beans april 15th....

also by Mel's charts we are to transplant our tomato plants out side april 15th What a Face (our last frost date)....eek that seems waaay to early.......

happy gardening
rose

FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Update from Interior Alaska

Post  tananarose on 4/4/2013, 12:49 am

Well we still have alot of snow, but that is slowly melting off. We have been planning our garden and I am going to get seeds tomorrow and then get them started inside to plant outside.

We put in a pellet stove in Sept and I am wondering if I can use the ash with the fertilizer when getting the beds ready for planting?

I am ready for growing season here, I hope everything does as good as last year. Smile

tananarose

Female Posts : 25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer on 4/8/2013, 12:06 pm

Hi tananarose,

From what I've read on other forums, most people seem to think it's okay to use wood ash on your lawn/garden, and many people do sprinkle it on or at least add it to their compost piles. Apparently ash is alkaline, and therefore has a neutralizing effect on acid, so you would use it anywhere you would use a liming product.

There were concerns expressed over the pellets versus wood ash from a fireplace. People were wondering if there were binders (glue or other chemicals) present that were used to create the pellets. Something to look into if you can.

Here's an article on using wood ash from the Oregon State extension office: Wood Ash Can Be Useful. Be sure to note the last line, where it says not to combine wood ash with nitrogen fertilizers, as the two can create ammonia gas when combined.

gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  smriti on 4/8/2013, 3:32 pm

@FamilyGardening wrote:
also by Mel's charts we are to transplant our tomato plants out side april 15th What a Face (our last frost date)....eek that seems waaay to early.......

That is waaayy too early for us!! affraid Our tomato starts are still babies!!! Note to self: next year start early.

Up-planted basil, summer squash and zucchini too this weekend. Oregano has germinated but they are soooooooo teensy weensy - I have no idea how to up-plant them. Anybody knows?

BTW does anybody have experience growing starts without a greenhouse and grow light? We're trying it out and wanted to know what to (or not to) expect.

smriti

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zekes nursery on 4/8/2013, 6:29 pm

Hi Smriti, I've done tomato's in my SW Living rm window for years and they do well. I tried them in a plastic covered shelf outside this year. Other things are doing fine, but the tomato's were not happy. I also have Oregano in the yard that self seeds. I think I have some in the path now, so if your in the Ballenger Terrace neighborhood let me know.

Zekes nursery

Female Posts : 18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening on 4/9/2013, 5:04 am

plants in the green house are doing well and waiting to go outside once it warms up enough....we even have a tomato seedling out there What a Face to see how it does compared to the ones under lights inside the house....so far so good Very Happy

some of our summer squash is starting to sprout in the green house Very Happy we have given the green onions and leeks another hair cut....

the marigolds and sunflowers in the green house are waiting to go out to the gardens along with other flower seedlings....

we moved our cucumber seedlings out to the green house and so far they too are doing well ......still no sign of the ones our children planted out in their self watering container with MM.....

in the SFG bed #3 the beets, parsnips and potatoes are up....and the over winter carrots are still growing albino

in SFG bed #1.....the onions and garlic are all doing well....still no sign of last years scarlet runner beans.....we are going to transplant some tomato plants into bed #1 as soon as it warms up enough....and also transplant some herb seedlings from the green house....

in SFG bed #2 we are waiting to plant our three sisters....i think we will plant the corn, beans and transplant our summer squash into that bed on our last frost date april 15th.....if the forcast for that week looks like its going to be warming up.....

the in Back garden we are seeing lots of new sprouts of beets, parsnips, spinach, collard greens, onions, carrots, fava beans, potatoes..... and the leeks that still look like grass are standing up straight and tall Very Happy the cole crops, lettuce, onions and spinach under the hoops are all doing great!......the shelling peas are just starting to come up.....also today we covered the beds that the corn is going in with plastic to help warm up the soil while we wait to plant the corn until after our last frost date.....

the sugar snap peas out in our wooden containers by our dog fence are starting to reach.....hubby still needs to put up their trellis... Shocked

we picked the last of our over winter swiss chard and shared it with our neighbors Very Happy had to pull up the collard greens and bok choi as they had gone to flower.....found a surprise of over winter spinach that was tucked under them Very Happy might have to have that for dinner tomorrow night!

our salad container on the back porch is sprouting as well....thats kale in the middle with some volunteer onions from last year that i transplanted....the spinach and lettuce is just now sprouting Very Happy

happy gardening
rose

FamilyGardening

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smriti on 4/9/2013, 1:02 pm

Thanks Zekes nursery for the info! Hope mine too do well inside! So did you sow the seeds for oregano directly in the yard? I guess that would be better because the seedlings are so tiny that it would be a horror to transplant them. I hope they grow a little bigger in the next few days.

Rose, what an awesome lineup of produce you have!

Ordered worms for our vermicomposter (Worm Factory 360) and they should be here by the end of the week. This would be our first time composting - I'm so nervous that I don't kill the worms!

smriti

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening on 4/10/2013, 1:40 am

look at what i found today Shocked

happy gardening
rose

FamilyGardening

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer on 4/10/2013, 9:55 am

@smriti wrote:BTW does anybody have experience growing starts without a greenhouse and grow light? We're trying it out and wanted to know what to (or not to) expect.
I don't have lights or a greenhouse and I grew tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, and cauliflower in my south facing window last year. I did take care to rotate them a quarter turn four times a day. They did just fine. My only problem was that the tomatoes grew so large they outgrew the windowsill before it was time for them to go outside!

gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  smriti on 4/10/2013, 1:09 pm

That's so reassuring to hear, gwennifer! Will rotate ours too, haven't done that.

@gwennifer wrote:My only problem was that the tomatoes grew so large they outgrew the windowsill before it was time for them to go outside!

How I wish I would be in that state Smile My seedlings are pretty small right now - about an inch or two. I do notice that the stem of stupice tomato looks stronger than that of cherry tomato.

smriti

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening on 4/13/2013, 12:00 pm

anyone planting out this weekend in the PNW??

it was raining all day yesterday but this morning it looks like the sun is trying to shine thru..... Very Happy

Im nosey tongue and want to know what you all are up to this weekend??

happy gardening
rose

FamilyGardening

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 4/13/2013, 12:08 pm

gwennifer I wish I had a south facing window. clearly an oversight with building the house.
We have one window that is large and is actually in our walk in shower. I have had a large basil plant I have kept in there all winter, we have to remove the plant when we have a shower.

While I wait for our May 7th last frost, I have put one of each in a large bucket, a tomato, pepper, eggplant and another tomato, and am keeping them indoors so I will have some of each of them perhaps a little bit earlier.

GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper on 4/14/2013, 8:21 pm

I started hardening off some of my tomatoes today to get them prepared for planting, anyone else starting the process in the great PNW?
The soil blocks with cucumbers and various squash I have in containers outside are starting to sprout.
I seem to have alot of volunteer tomatoes coming up, they are really small and do not have any true leaves yet. I was pulling most of them like weeds but may save some, I haven't decided yet.
Most everything else I have planted (except the salsify) is sprouting. I have had to pull several kale, arugula and lettuce plants to make room for other items that I will be planting in a few weeks which means lots of salad recently.
What's been going on in your garden?

happycamper

Female Posts : 304

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 4/15/2013, 12:45 pm

We're not yet putting tomato/pepper seedlings outside--the west hills of St. Helens, OR, are about 2 weeks behind even downtown St. Helens (but, then, they get frost earlier in the fall than we do; go figure). In a 4x4 bed where 4 plants of Dagma's Perfection did so well last summer, I've found some feral tomato sprouts, so I shall let a couple grow, just to see what happens. Last week we harvested the last of the over-wintered violetta cauliflower, so that bed has been refurbished and planted with salad greens of various kinds, so a lone tomato won't be that out of place. The kale and chard planted a month ago has produced small, tender leaves for limited harvest, and some feral kale has popped up in the paths. Still getting lots of miners' lettuce for salads and greens. Nonna

Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 4/15/2013, 1:48 pm

@Nonna.PapaVino wrote:We're not yet putting tomato/pepper seedlings outside--the west hills of St. Helens, OR, are about 2 weeks behind even downtown St. Helens (but, then, they get frost earlier in the fall than we do; go figure).

I have the exact same thing here on Cape Cod compared to the rest of New England. I'm behind at the beginning but last longer at the end.

I like to follow what the PNW is doing since some areas, like yours, are so close to my own timing. What a Face Plus, you folks are so cool! okay

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smriti on 4/15/2013, 4:47 pm

@FamilyGardening wrote:anyone planting out this weekend in the PNW??

Wanted to transplant the spinach outside but just didn't get the time. All my other plants are wayyy too small to go out. We plan to add a second 4X8 bed this year so need to work on that.

My vermicomposter has started and I'm praying for the worms to not bail out on me!

smriti

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawncee on 4/16/2013, 10:25 pm

Hello fellow Gardeners,

I moved to the PNW about six years ago from the desert. I have been playing at gardening ever since. THis is my first year with SFG. Just finished building three 4x4 beds. I have already planted one with radishes, lettuce, broccoli, and strawberries. Planted peas yesterday in another bed. I purchased three tomato plants and a spaghetti squash, my question, is it too early to plant then outdoors? I have been told not to plant until after Mother's day, but that leave a very short growing season.....

Dawncee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 4/16/2013, 10:44 pm

Dawncee: Welcome to the Northwest...and it's short tomato season. Some years we do manage to get a good crop. Other summers are called "Green Tomato Summers." The fact that some of us have volunteer tomato seedlings sprouting in our raised beds gives us the hope of one of the good crop summers. There are ways to extend the short season: hoop houses, starting tomatoes inside under lights or in a greenhouse and moving them up to a final home in a 5 gallon bucket before setting them outside in the sunniest, warmest part of the garden. Last year I planted four Dagma's Perfections in a 4x4 bed, covered it with plastic supported on hoops set from corner to corner in the bed, which kept the soil warm enough for them to set fruit much earlier than expected. Sometimes it's just experiment and see what works for y'all. Best of luck. Nonna

Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawncee on 4/16/2013, 11:01 pm

Thanks Nonna! I guess I should consider 'up planting my tomatoes because they're looking pretty sad in their 4" pots.

I love gardening, and am still amazed that things can grow almost unattended; truly a garden of Eden compared to were I was raised. But I really get impatient waiting until Sept. for harvesting. I am used to getting tomatoes and peppers in May. Personally I don't mind having green tomatoes left over, I pack a box with them and mail them to Las Vegas for my Dad. He loves 'em fried. tongue

Dawncee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

How big is your cole crops now?

Post  FamilyGardening on 4/17/2013, 1:44 am

how big are your cole crop plants now?....and when did you plant them?

we started them in doors Feb 2nd...kept them in for a short time under lights....then moved them out to the green house

we transplanted them from the green house out side on March 15th

they have grown some and have their true leaves but...they are still small... What a Face

can someone post a pic of their brok, cabbage or cauliflower so i can get an idea if ours are doing ok.....

I will try and get a pic tomorrow to compare.....

I know this time last year our cole crops were much larger....but...we kept them inside much longer last year then we did this year....

this year we have a small green house and put them out there for awhile...and then put them in the soil when our nights are a bit cool.....so im wondering if they are just slow because of our weather at night is still in the 30's to low 40's.....

Im worried because last year our spring was pretty warm and our cole crops had a smaller harvest because of it.....and we realllllly want some larger broc's and cauli's this year..... Razz

happy gardening
rose

Last edited by FamilyGardening on 4/17/2013, 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total

FamilyGardening

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer on 4/17/2013, 1:45 am

Hi Dawncee and welcome to the forum. Everybody's location throughout the PNW is going to dictate when they can start moving stuff/planting outside. After Mother's Day is actually what is recommended for hot weather crops (like tomatoes/squash/peppers) where I live too. So yeah - up pot those tomatoes, they grow like weeds and they'll be happy with more room while you wait for the weather to be right. Smile

gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening on 4/17/2013, 1:53 am

Dawncee welcome to the forum Very Happy glad to see you here in the PNW threads sunny

its so hard to wait for that first tomato :drunken: but so worth it!

we are really thankful to be able to grow a lot of greens here in our area.....we love our sunshine too..... and love the challange jocolor of growing warmer loving crops bounce we are still growing some new things this year just to see if we can get it to harvest time....last year we grew cantalopes for the first time....and even though our harvest was of small size fruit...it was the best cantalope we ever had and so worth the effort!

keep us posted on how your garden is growing and post some pictures if you can....we love pictures flower

happy gardening
rose

FamilyGardening

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening on 4/17/2013, 1:57 am

@smriti wrote:
@FamilyGardening wrote:anyone planting out this weekend in the PNW??

Wanted to transplant the spinach outside but just didn't get the time. All my other plants are wayyy too small to go out. We plan to add a second 4X8 bed this year so need to work on that.

My vermicomposter has started and I'm praying for the worms to not bail out on me!

what kind of vericomposter are you using?....we too have a worm bin...and a 5 gal bucket of worm castings that we are waiting for the worms to finish.....looked in there today...and boy was I surprised to find a ton of babies and larger momma's and pappa's in that bucket Shocked they are doing a great job breaking down that little bit that was left for them to do....soon we are going to have to get them out of there.....

happy gardening
rose

FamilyGardening

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:41 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top