Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by landarch Today at 9:29 am

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by sfg4uKim Today at 9:26 am

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 9:18 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by llama momma Today at 5:18 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by llama momma Today at 5:10 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by yolos Today at 12:13 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 4:02 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:27 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:04 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Morehead City, NC

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from Morehead City, NC

Post  paxmama on 4/9/2013, 6:13 pm

I'm Ashley. 26 yr old, married stay at home mom of three (ages 4, 2 and 3 mos).

I've never grown a single thing in my life until this year. I am having to start in containers since we are moving in June.

My tomatoes, romaine and onions already died. I either moved them in and out too much, packed the soil too hard or over watered them. Or all 3. So I replanted in small jiffy pots and put them in the window sill today. My herbs and cherry tomato that I did this with are doing very well, so I thought I'd give it a go. They were all in larger plastic containers. I used an organic seed starting mix and was taking them in and out intermittently since sprouting. The bell peppers and jalepenos did fine and the zucchini did really well. The arugula and spinach may be on their way out too Sad

I plan 2 2ftx4ft beds when we move with the following layout. The zucchini is taking up half of the first bed. Everything is quantity 1 unless otherwise noted. There will be 2 5ft trellises on each end where the tomatoes and peppers are. The zucchini will be staked and will grow vertically. The cherry tomatoes will be staked as well. Any suggestions? Any changes you would make? Any tips for growing my plants indoors for now being that I can't move until June. Have I simply started too late with my greens? I thought the shade from the zucchini might help in the first bed. Again, I've never grown so much as a single flower or herb in my LIFE.

paxmama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Spring Planting

Post  VJ72584 on 4/9/2013, 7:28 pm

I live in SC so I'd say the weather is similar to yours. I just planted my garden this past weekend. I will buy a couple tomato plants instead of starting from seed. I thought I would start with seed, but got lazy over the winter and did not get ready on time. This is my second year having a square foot garden. I planted onions, lettuces and spinach in cold weather. I wouldn't worry about bringing those inside. If you plan to move, I think I'd plant in large plastic tubs. Depending on when you move you may not have time to get many plants to maturity. Did you start with Mel's Mix?

The tomato plants need quite a bit of space. I would not put more than one in a 2 x 4 box with the other things. It's trial and error to find out what you like and what works for you.

VJ72584

Female Posts : 89

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Morehead City, NC

Post  paxmama on 4/9/2013, 10:15 pm

@VJ72584 wrote:I live in SC so I'd say the weather is similar to yours. I just planted my garden this past weekend. I will buy a couple tomato plants instead of starting from seed. I thought I would start with seed, but got lazy over the winter and did not get ready on time. This is my second year having a square foot garden. I planted onions, lettuces and spinach in cold weather. I wouldn't worry about bringing those inside. If you plan to move, I think I'd plant in large plastic tubs. Depending on when you move you may not have time to get many plants to maturity. Did you start with Mel's Mix?

The tomato plants need quite a bit of space. I would not put more than one in a 2 x 4 box with the other things. It's trial and error to find out what you like and what works for you.

Well since tomatoes and peppers both grow up, I put them one plant in each square on the end with the trellis.

I did not start with mels mix, I used an organic seed starter. I had them all in big plastic tubs and thats how they failed so I tried again in the jiffy pots. If they get too big before we move, I will transplant them back to the big tubs.

paxmama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 4/10/2013, 1:43 pm

Make sure the tomatoes are indeterminate and keep them pruned and can plant one per SF against your trellis! The peppers don't need to be against the trellis, if they get big enough you could stake them but the don't grow tall enough to take up your trellis space! Do you have the book All New Square Foot Gardening?

cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DestaRidge on 4/11/2013, 8:15 am

I'm just a bit South of you near Matthews. I'm not putting anything in until this weekend. We had a strange spring, normally our last front is mid-March but we went well beyond that.

~Andrea
Indian Trail, NC

DestaRidge

Female Posts : 1

View user profile http://www.destaridgebacks.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:25 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: