Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» 2018 - First Annual Seed Swap Week - January 20-28
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 12:27 pm

» Seed Starting!!
by trolleydriver Today at 11:42 am

» Weight Watchers Turkey, Bean and Vegetable Chili
by hammock gal Today at 8:43 am

» Are vegetables hurt by too much light?
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:01 am

» Sow True Seeds
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:00 am

» Colored Mulch
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 7:12 pm

» Taking on 4 Season Gardening
by Roseinarosecity Yesterday at 5:19 pm

» Spring Fever Anyone?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Fourth Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 3:53 pm

» SUGA 2017
by SQWIB Yesterday at 12:57 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by No_Such_Reality 1/17/2018, 11:16 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson 1/17/2018, 9:42 pm

» Butternut squash, turkey Italian sausage, cannelini bean soup
by yolos 1/17/2018, 9:25 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by yolos 1/17/2018, 9:12 pm

» N&C Midwest—January 2018!!!
by Scorpio Rising 1/17/2018, 7:08 pm

» Is there ever enough compost?
by has55 1/17/2018, 2:41 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 1/16/2018, 9:10 pm

» Gophers
by countrynaturals 1/16/2018, 12:32 pm

» High heat tolerant tomatoes
by walshevak 1/16/2018, 6:03 am

» Mid-Atl - Jan 2018 - Brrrrrrrrrr! and Happy New Year
by AtlantaMarie 1/15/2018, 6:43 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in January 2018
by sanderson 1/15/2018, 3:53 am

» New England Jan 2018
by hammock gal 1/13/2018, 5:50 pm

» My first Attempt
by 21Actual 1/13/2018, 5:05 pm

» Air Fryer! HELP!
by sanderson 1/13/2018, 3:26 pm

» New SFG box-Humanitarian way
by sanderson 1/13/2018, 3:24 pm

» Drafts?
by trolleydriver 1/13/2018, 1:18 pm

» Hello from Northern Ontario Eh!
by BeetlesPerSqFt 1/13/2018, 1:07 pm

» January 2018 Avatar: Surprise Us
by sanderson 1/12/2018, 4:57 pm

» Review of Terms of Service
by Ginger Blue 1/12/2018, 4:02 pm

» DIY Plant Markers
by countrynaturals 1/11/2018, 7:32 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

growing corn

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: growing corn

Post  brianj555 on 8/31/2017, 9:37 pm

@Turan wrote:Crowding might well be an issue, but it is well worth the try.  Prune/ fence/ trellis the cukes and tomats to stay out of the corn's spot. Force them to spill in other directions Laughing

Seeing as plants in your MM are doing well (so we know it is a good compost mix) go ahead and top dress with that.  Blood meal is just that, dried blood from butchering, it is available at most all garden nurseries as an organic fertilizer high in nitrogen.
Ok. Thank you.  I'm still a little nervous about pruning.  Particularly my tomato plants, which are the most important to me, at least this first year.  i bought and planted determinates.  I didn't know the difference 40 days ago.  Is it ok to prune them?  If so, I will need to read up on that.  I don't really know what's ok to take out and what's not, other than not taking out leaf stems with blooms on them.  All of the tomato and both squares of cucumbers have their own 6' piece of bamboo.  I have loosely fixed the main stem to them.  Do you have any experience using stakes?  I was wondering if I can also tie up some of the leaf stems to the stake to keep them from shading the corn  and actually some of the other veggies as well. I use that biodegradable stretchy vegetable tape.  I just don't want to fix the leaf stem to the stake and damage a part of the plant that would have otherwise produced fruit.
brianj555

Male Posts : 429

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 8/31/2017, 10:28 pm

If by leaf stem you mean a big leaf coming from a branch, that leaf will not flower and give you fruit. It is safe to cut off if it is interfering with other things, and can be a good idea in order to maximize air flow and hopefully lessen disease susceptibility. I have used bamboo stakes to create a cage to fence in tomatoes and cukes. Give it horizontal rungs and just keep tucking the plants into their area. It is also ok to tie tomato stems to the bamboo, they are quite sturdy. Stringing indeterminate tomatoes works because they are so able to be tied to or wrapped by string and yet keep on growing and producing fruit.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan

Female Posts : 2316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on 9/1/2017, 10:04 am

I
@Turan wrote:If by leaf stem you mean a big leaf coming from a branch, that leaf will not flower and give you fruit.  It is safe to cut off if it is interfering with other things, and can be a good idea in order to maximize air flow and hopefully lessen disease susceptibility.  I have used bamboo stakes to create a cage to fence in tomatoes and cukes.  Give it horizontal rungs and just keep tucking the plants into their area.  It is also ok to tie tomato stems to the bamboo, they are quite sturdy.  Stringing indeterminate tomatoes works because they are so able to be tied to or wrapped by string and yet keep on growing and producing fruit.  
Good morning!  Thank you for helping.  What I meant by tying leaf stems up or out of the way, by attaching them to the bamboo stake was, tying some of the branches that have leaves on them that come off the main stem to the stake. I already have the main stems loosely tied to the bamboo. I wondered if I could also tie up the branches or arms that have leaves and blossoms that come off the main stem to the stake without damaging them???
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 9/1/2017, 10:14 am

@brianj555 wrote:[ I wondered if I could also tie up the branches or arms that have leaves and blossoms that come off the main stem to the stake without damaging them???
Yes, they can be tied to a stake and thus kept contained to an area and up off the ground so they will stay healthier.

Turan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on 9/1/2017, 10:17 am

Like the top pic.  That branch that is sticking out? This isn't one that I would do that to, just using it as an example .  But could I tie that branch up to the stake like the way I have it on the bottom picture with my hand?  Would that damage it?
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on 9/1/2017, 10:34 am

Even though we are taking about growing corn by staking my tomatoes away from them so the can properly grow. I'm going to start another thread about that.  I don't want to get this thread too far off topic.  Thank you Turan for your help.
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 9/1/2017, 10:40 am

Yes you can tie it to a stake. Also, see in the crotch of where that leaf leaves the main stem there is a new branch starting? I would pinch that branch (often called a sucker) off to help keep the plant within bounds. You can pinch that leaf off as well.

Turan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on 9/1/2017, 12:03 pm

Ok.  You advised that it might be a good idea to top the corn off when compost since they are about to reach the vegetative stage.  Do you think it would be a good idea to go ahead and top off everything else that's near to producing fruit as well ? (Tom and cures)
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum