Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:07 pm

» New England May 2017
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:54 pm

» Tips for compost tumbler
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:17 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017
by Fiz Yesterday at 8:17 pm

» N&C Midwest: May is here! 2017
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:14 pm

» Dandelions - I cut this out of a magazine when I was a teen-
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:02 pm

» Bryan Greenbeard of Minnesota's 2017 Plans
by Greenbeard Yesterday at 5:22 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:00 pm

» Watering System -- Finally!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:49 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:43 pm

» Natural Dying ~ The Thyme to Dye is Coming!
by Turan Yesterday at 2:07 pm

» Maritime SGFG 2017
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:35 pm

» Planting for the trellis
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Strawberry protection
by camprn Yesterday at 11:57 am

» Using Eggshells for your garden
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 10:46 am

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Turan Yesterday at 10:44 am

» Spring BBQ day
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 10:42 am

» Slugs and stuff
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 9:56 am

» surprising results from soil test
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:29 am

» New in Tennessee
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:23 am

» Netting as Barrier
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:20 am

» Bumble bees In Trouble
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:08 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by Cajun Cappy 5/22/2017, 10:27 pm

» What region am I in now?
by CapeCoddess 5/22/2017, 3:54 pm

» Get Moving!
by trolleydriver 5/22/2017, 12:14 pm

» Friday Rookie Topic: Edible Flowers
by BeetlesPerSqFt 5/22/2017, 11:39 am

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 5/22/2017, 2:25 am

» Garden pics from S/W Illinois
by yolos 5/21/2017, 4:57 pm

» Row Cover Material - garden blankets
by sanderson 5/21/2017, 1:44 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

My first 2013 garden to table harvest

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My first 2013 garden to table harvest

Post  bnoles on 4/14/2013, 1:06 pm

After returning from vacation and getting a good night's rest in my own bed, I wandered out to my TT SFG this morning and could not help but notice how much things had grown during our absence especially the salad makings. I went in and grabbed a container and decided to cut a salad for me and my wife for lunch and even found a couple of small radishes ready to toss in as well as some arugula. Of course we had to add some pale store bought carrots and toms to make things complete. I can't wait until we can harvest those from the garden instead of Kroger. The greens were so very tender and I can't recall ever tasting so much earthy flavor in a salad. Those small radishes really put icing on the cake as well.

Thought I would share and take an opportunity to thank God and Mel for the wonderful lunch we enjoyed today.








bnoles

Male Posts : 804
Join date : 2012-08-16
Location : North GA Mountains Zone 7A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My first 2013 garden to table harvest

Post  Weedless_ on 4/14/2013, 1:41 pm

Yum, pepperoni (or salami). How many of these per sq. ft. do you plant? And do they grow in sticks or already sliced? And how long from seed to harvest? Garden looks beautiful, btw! Keep up the good work!
jocolor
avatar
Weedless_

Female Posts : 233
Join date : 2010-05-23
Age : 44
Location : Prattville-AL, Zone 8

View user profile http://www.eatalready.com

Back to top Go down

re:

Post  Lillyz on 4/14/2013, 2:33 pm

mouth watering!!!

avatar
Lillyz

Female Posts : 128
Join date : 2013-02-23
Age : 60
Location : Pueblo, Colorado Zone 5B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My first 2013 garden to table harvest

Post  brainchasm on 4/14/2013, 3:48 pm

Yup, you convinced me - gonna pull a salad today.

Only have two kinds of lettuce, spinach, chard, and radishes, but it'll be what it'll be!

____________________________

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked

My garden progress:
MyFolia.com - Garden Tracking Community Find more about Weather in Las Vegas, NV
avatar
brainchasm

Male Posts : 463
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 41
Location : Las Vegas, NV

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My first 2013 garden to table harvest

Post  bnoles on 4/14/2013, 4:03 pm

@brainchasm wrote:Yup, you convinced me - gonna pull a salad today.

Only have two kinds of lettuce, spinach, chard, and radishes, but it'll be what it'll be!

......and what it will be is delicious! sunny

bnoles

Male Posts : 804
Join date : 2012-08-16
Location : North GA Mountains Zone 7A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My first 2013 garden to table harvest

Post  Pepper on 4/14/2013, 4:05 pm

@Weedless_ wrote:Yum, pepperoni (or salami). How many of these per sq. ft. do you plant? And do they grow in sticks or already sliced? And how long from seed to harvest? Garden looks beautiful, btw! Keep up the good work!
jocolor
funny post rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Good job Bob I want some of those pepperoni/salami seed rofl
Our salad fixins were likewise great. The best part is how long they keep in the fridge and still remain fresh.
avatar
Pepper

Male Posts : 564
Join date : 2012-03-04
Location : Columbus, Ga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My first 2013 garden to table harvest

Post  bnoles on 4/14/2013, 4:06 pm

Thanks for the compliment Lillyz

Weedless.... you crack me up. Thanks! Hey... my asparagus is catching up with yours sunny


Last edited by bnoles on 4/14/2013, 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

bnoles

Male Posts : 804
Join date : 2012-08-16
Location : North GA Mountains Zone 7A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My first 2013 garden to table harvest

Post  bnoles on 4/14/2013, 4:07 pm

@Pepper wrote:
@Weedless_ wrote:Yum, pepperoni (or salami). How many of these per sq. ft. do you plant? And do they grow in sticks or already sliced? And how long from seed to harvest? Garden looks beautiful, btw! Keep up the good work!
jocolor
funny post rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Good job Bob I want some of those pepperoni/salami seed rofl
Our salad fixins were likewise great. The best part is how long they keep in the fridge and still remain fresh.

fridge??? They will never make it that far around here... garden to table is the best they can hope for.

bnoles

Male Posts : 804
Join date : 2012-08-16
Location : North GA Mountains Zone 7A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My first 2013 garden to table harvest

Post  Pepper on 4/14/2013, 4:14 pm

Between the four types of fixins it was enough for sharing. Yesterday I harvested more. I added to our supply and blessed three neighbors with enough for several salads. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM
avatar
Pepper

Male Posts : 564
Join date : 2012-03-04
Location : Columbus, Ga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My first 2013 garden to table harvest

Post  deriter on 4/14/2013, 7:05 pm

Wow. To live in the south must be just great. Up here in Iowa, its not going so good for me. I did get one box planted on Good Friday. Put a bunch of onions out, radishes, carrots, lettuce, & spinach. Most of it is up, but going kinda slow. I have hoops over the box with plastic to protect from the frost, some days it gets really hot so have to uncover (92 degrees). I planted some other things that were started indoors. A friend of my wife's gave them to her so I thought I would set some of them out as well. I put out okra and some beans. I thought maybe they would make it if they were covered. No such luck. They bit the dust so for now I will stick with the cool weather stuff. It has got down well into the 20's and guess the warm weather stuff just won't handle it even if they are covered.
So anxious to get some stuff from our garden.
avatar
deriter

Male Posts : 96
Join date : 2011-12-25
Age : 71
Location : Iowa - zone 5b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My first 2013 garden to table harvest

Post  bnoles on 4/14/2013, 8:25 pm

@deriter wrote:Wow. To live in the south must be just great. Up here in Iowa, its not going so good for me. I did get one box planted on Good Friday. Put a bunch of onions out, radishes, carrots, lettuce, & spinach. Most of it is up, but going kinda slow. I have hoops over the box with plastic to protect from the frost, some days it gets really hot so have to uncover (92 degrees). I planted some other things that were started indoors. A friend of my wife's gave them to her so I thought I would set some of them out as well. I put out okra and some beans. I thought maybe they would make it if they were covered. No such luck. They bit the dust so for now I will stick with the cool weather stuff. It has got down well into the 20's and guess the warm weather stuff just won't handle it even if they are covered.
So anxious to get some stuff from our garden.

That has got to be so discouraging and I feel your pain. Keep the chin up as it will improve before too much longer. I know I was chomping at the bits in Feb and could hardly wait and now here it is the middle of April already.

bnoles

Male Posts : 804
Join date : 2012-08-16
Location : North GA Mountains Zone 7A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My first 2013 garden to table harvest

Post  angiesj on 4/14/2013, 9:28 pm

What a delicious treat. I love seeing the pictures, looks good enough to eat. Smile
avatar
angiesj

Female Posts : 8
Join date : 2013-03-17
Age : 60
Location : Danielsville, GA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My first 2013 garden to table harvest

Post  Weedless_ on 4/14/2013, 9:48 pm

@bnoles wrote: Weedless... Hey... my asparagus is catching up with yours sunny

Awesome! Pics, or it didn't happen. I'll show you mine if you show me yours (in the Asparagus topic, of course, we wouldn't want to hijack this one) Cool
avatar
Weedless_

Female Posts : 233
Join date : 2010-05-23
Age : 44
Location : Prattville-AL, Zone 8

View user profile http://www.eatalready.com

Back to top Go down

Re: My first 2013 garden to table harvest

Post  landarch on 4/14/2013, 9:53 pm

really good harvest and pics...two years ago I could grow excellent radishes seemingly without trying...last year I had very poor germination...and this year the seeds have been in the ground for over three weeks and nothing. I need to get some more seed in the ground tomorrow and keep trying.
avatar
landarch

Posts : 1141
Join date : 2012-01-22
Location : kansas city

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My first 2013 garden to table harvest

Post  CapeCoddess on 4/15/2013, 11:43 am

@landarch wrote:really good harvest and pics...two years ago I could grow excellent radishes seemingly without trying...last year I had very poor germination...and this year the seeds have been in the ground for over three weeks and nothing. I need to get some more seed in the ground tomorrow and keep trying.

This is interesting. Maybe radish seeds don't keep very well? Are you using new or old seed?

CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 5922
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My first 2013 garden to table harvest

Post  landarch on 4/15/2013, 12:12 pm

I have both last year's and new radish seed...and some seed I picked up at a seed exchange...can't remenber exactly which I planted. Maybe I should jsut stick with new, espeically since one really never knows how old seed may be from a seed exchange.
avatar
landarch

Posts : 1141
Join date : 2012-01-22
Location : kansas city

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My first 2013 garden to table harvest

Post  CindiLou on 4/15/2013, 7:40 pm

@deriter wrote:Wow. To live in the south must be just great. Up here in Iowa, its not going so good for me. .

I have a cold frame for salad makings.

Just picked endive, minatina, and arugula a couple of days ago.
I have carrots I planted too late last fall, now growing. Humm, need to plant my Carrot week carrots this week!
avatar
CindiLou

Posts : 999
Join date : 2010-08-30
Age : 57
Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My first 2013 garden to table harvest

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum